• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
31f69a60-dcb2-4420-8kwj5y.jpeg

20211202_104153sek1s.jpg

I know I'm gonna get some "no fun allowed" reactions here but it's just weird to build up this dystopian post-climate change world in the marketing like the Exodus short film (featuring the talent of the late michael k williams) and then suddenly go all Fortnite with the cosmetics.

funo

Oct 27, 2017
You must be fun at parties...
Why is this thread-worthy? People are already shittin on those skins in the OT, go join the party over there!
There's plenty of issues to shit on with this game, pick one, skins are none of them.

Also: that tank skin is hella nice!
Aaand also if I don't get a nice Mother Frost skin for my girl Falck I'm going to be super pissed!

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Seasonal cosmetics are fun and MP shooters, especially one as wacky as battlefield beyond the surface level of the visuals, shouldn't be so dire. Lighten up OP.

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
Hardly anyone playing has watched that or is aware of the lore in 2042. It's just another shooter.

More people got excited about referencing the Rendezook than the apocoyptic lore.

Battlefield has always been over the top shooty shoot fun times, with only the veneer of serious authenticism.

Its a game where people experiment with jeeps and C4 to catapault planes out of the sky.

OP
OP
Saucycarpdog

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Why is this thread-worthy? People are already shittin on those skins in the OT, go join the party over there!
There's plenty of issues to shit on with this game, pick one, skins are none of them.

Also: that tank skin is hella nice!
Aaand also if I don't get a nice Mother Frost skin for my girl Falck I'm going to be super pissed!
Seasonal cosmetics are fun and MP shooters, especially one as wacky as battlefield beyond the surface level of the visuals, shouldn't be so dire. Lighten up OP.
You're acting like I'm furious over it even though all I did was call it weird in my OP while giving my reasons why.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Anybody that's seen Crashmore knows that Santa Claus is used to hyper-violence. This skin is sort of a cosmic gumbo of Christmas and Battlefield.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I'm very happy for a thread, I wouldn't have seen it in the OT and it's hilarious.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
BF 2042 tone is a bit strange. From the super serious setting about climate change to quirky voice lines and Santas

gaugebozo

Oct 25, 2017
People getting oddly defensive over this massive game and OP's super gentle comment about clashing tones.

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017
Battlefield as a series would be way more palatable if that skin was indicative of the general tone of the game. Few things not named Tom Clancy's whatever have been as off-putting to me as the pretentious, self- serving "war is so awful and serious I swear" intro to BF1 funneling me just a few minutes later into a zeppelin crashing onto the map while players run on it lolz game.

Same thing with 2042 - building on a highly probable world war 3 to market the game with flying into tornados lolz is absolutely vulgar. Pick a side DICE.

Oct 29, 2017
31f69a60-dcb2-4420-8kwj5y.jpeg

20211202_104153sek1s.jpg

I know I'm gonna get some "no fun allowed" reactions here but it's just weird to build up this dystopian post-climate change world in the marketing like the Exodus short film (featuring the talent of the late michael k williams) and then suddenly go all Fortnite with the cosmetics.

Tbh it world have been nice for the campaign to go all-in on taking the setting seriously, then you can cut loose a little in multi.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
BF was always a goofy franchise, but you're right it's a bit weird disconnect with their dystopian scenario.

Unless climate change awakaned The Old Jolly One in the Arctic.

Exposure

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I just don't think it's actually that much of a tone conflict because stuff that tried being actually serious about the setting setup was a lot more limited in terms of who generally saw it (being on the website or being attached to the hazard zone stuff) compared to the stuff that went goofy. (basically everything else in the marketing)

like I thought them putting the rendezook in the reveal trailer was a pretty definitive statement on how they were going to be doing tone in the game?

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
This is fun. I don't care that people are upset about it, they need to chill over a video game.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017

I unironically picked this up during the last Steam sale for my Christmas game.

Hey, it was only $1.50 and Artifex Mundi hidden-object games are legit bangers.

Anastasis

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Wait a sec… you just need to do missions to get it? That's good… really good.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Kinda sad to see Battlefield just copying whats hip not a fan of the whacky tone shift. Pretty much Battlefields Pink Darth Vader for me.