• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
Counting with VGA and TGA as "official" awards.

2005: God Of War
2006:
2007:
2008: Little Big Planet
2009: Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
2010: God Of War 3
2011: Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
2012: Journey
2013: The Last Of Us
2014:
2015: Bloodborne
2016: Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
2017: Horizon: Zero Dawn
2018: God Of War and Marvel's Spider-Man
2019: Death Stranding

Result of a great job? Luck? Goodwill from the press? The trend will most likely continue on 2020, unless The Last Of Us 2 bomb.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony has become like Nintendo for me

they have so many amazing exclusives I will always get their console just for that

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They've been killing it for more than a decade. It's why PS5 is a no brainer if I wanna play the best games I cant play anywhere else.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
You should have precise "first party games" in your title, because they don't all comes from first party studio.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, they've been on a really great run and have made their consoles must-have for the first-party stuff alone.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
They go hand in hand with Nintendo now for me, the 1st party output is all up my alley as well taste wise

el_galvon

Jun 13, 2019
To be fair in 2007 they had God of War II, easily one of the best games of that year.

Its one of my top publishers for a long time now, there are many stuff they help bring to life that its hard to imagine any other big budget company doing the same.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
What's insane is that more than half of these are done by 2 studios only (ND and SSM).

a916

Oct 25, 2017
The transition from mid PS3 to now has Sony with such a strong suite of in house developers.

Might've started around the time of Uncharted 2/Infamous/Demon Souls in 2009

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
I always thought the AIAS was the "official" goty prize

It's the closest thing to the Oscars. Press should never be included unless it's specifically a press given and sponsored award show. TGA is invalidated to me due to the mixing of the two. AIAS is peer reviewed in a sense which gives it more validity. That's the standard. The Press are not peers of developers.

Se_7_eN

Oct 25, 2017
There is a reason I say "All you need is a Playstation and PC" ... A Switch is nice too.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
TLOU2 is a lock for 2020, and after that, who knows.

2021 may be a weaker year, same as 2014. First full year of new console.

LoneWolfHunter

Banned for abusing Giftbot
Banned
Aug 27, 2019
And the best part is... they had other heavy hitters in most of those years too. Some times several of them.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
TLOU2 is a lock for 2020, and after that, who knows.

2021 may be a weaker year, same as 2014. First full year of new console.

yes, PS3 and PS4 didn't really had the strongest starts......but within the year they just start churning out gold. We will see for PS5 if they are able to maintain this momentum because Ghosts would be a killer PS5 launch title even if it is cross gen

Oct 31, 2017
For me, 2001 was when I felt Sony's first party started to develop a reputation. Not to the level they have now, but at the time, SCEA was put down in the message boards in which I posted. Stuff like Jak and Daxter was laughed at if I brought it up, which I think was fanboyism at that point (and fanboyism which would be looked down upon now). But it was 2001 when they put out Twisted Metal Black, Gran Turismo 3, ICO, Dark Cloud, Jak & Daxter and Frequency. Frequency, which they published with Harmonix, was a sleeper hit for me and became one of my favorite games of the generation next to Amplitude.

But I started to watch what they were doing much closer than I ever had because I was not consuming their games on the PS1 with the same fervor, sans Twisted Metal 2. They've really built up their studios, which alone develop some fantastic games by themselves, never mind the games they work with other developers on. I appreciate their commitment to some of the best stuff I've played this gen.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean at the risk of starting a console war I'd be interested in how many Nintendo has since I'd imagine its comparable

2003 - The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
2011 - The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
2013 - Super Mario 3D World
2014 - Bayonetta 2
2015 - Super Mario Maker
2017 - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Super Mario Odyssey
2019 - Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, Sony sure do make a lot of good games 🤷🏾‍♂️

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
That's neat I guess. Journey is still my favorite Sony published game, I absolutely love it.

I mean at the risk of starting a console war I'd be interested in how many Nintendo has since I'd imagine its comparable

I think it's like 8 or so, 3 games in the Switch Era - BotW, SMO, Smash Bros. Nintendo games got barely no traction at all during the Wii era, not sure anything outside of Skyward Sword got a mention. Heck not even SMG1+2.

Even the Wii U got more:P

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
2003 - The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
2011 - The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
2013 - Super Mario 3D World
2014 - Bayonetta 2
2015 - Super Mario Maker
2017 - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
2019 - Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
pretty sure stuff like the 2 galaxy games and odyssey would also qualify as major nominees. This isn't about winners or HZ;D wouldn't be on OP's list

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That's neat I guess. Journey is still my favorite Sony published game, I absolutely love it.

I think it's like 8 or so, 3 games in the Switch Era - BotW, SMO, Smash Bros. Nintendo games got barely no traction at all during the Wii era, not sure anything outside of Skyward Sword got a mention. Heck not even SMG1+2.

Even the Wii U got more:P
I'm pretty sure wii has a bunch of major goty nominees during the wii era, they just didn't win much. But then neither has DS at the moment so...

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
The AIAS gave Fallout 4 the 2015 GOTY.
Ah, it must be time for Era's regular reminder that Fallout 4 picked up the second-highest number of GotY awards that year, beating out Bloodborne and MGS5, and that just because a game isn't what you personally wanted it to be doesn't mean it's a bad game.

I had more fun, and for a longer period of time, with Fallout 4 (and especially its Survival mode) than anything else that year. It's more than a valid GotY pick.

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony is quietly the best first-party development house, taken as a whole, in the industry. They've come a long way since the PS1 and PS2 days.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
pretty sure stuff like the 2 galaxy games and odyssey would also qualify as major nominees. This isn't about winners or HZ;D wouldn't be on OP's list

I missed Odyssey because I forgot that Nintendo had two GOTY nominees that year but looking at the VGA and TGA only, that's literally it. Neither Galaxy game got nominated for a Game of the Year award, just platform specific.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
oh wow, but did you hear that JD POWER AND ASSOCIATES has awarded CHEVROLET the most DEPENDABLE brand for 91 out of the last 93 years.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I missed Odyssey because I forgot that Nintendo had two GOTY nominees that year but looking at the VGA and TGA only, that's literally it. Neither Galaxy game got nominated for a Game of the Year award, just platform specific.
Ah, you're right. Didn't notice they were only focused on those two shows. Though I think the VGAs were a joke even compared to the TGAs which are also kind of a joke, so even though they filled similar roles and were both run by Geoff, I think lumping them together is weird

Status
Not open for further replies.