• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do you think?

• Ariel was dumb. Ursula did nothing wrong.

Votes: 147 19.3%
  • Ursula is pure evil. The contract wasn't legal.

Votes: 186 24.5%
  • Ursula is pure evil, but the contract is legal.

Votes: 427 56.2%

• Total voters
Oct 25, 2017
México
Ursula prizes Ariel's voice. Ursula knows that the freedom of expression, the right to have one's opinion heard, and the power of communication are valuable things. On the other hand, Ariel is willing to be silenced in exchange for physical alteration,.

Ursula obtains her power legally. Unlike Disney's other villains whose plans involved illegitimate means, Ursula received the Trident as consideration pursuant to a contract. She had played by the rules, and in return, she was impaled in her Cecaelian gut by an emasculated and character-less prince!

Sep 14, 2019
Ursula prizes Ariel's voice. Ursula knows that the freedom of expression, the right to have one's opinion heard, and the power of communication are valuable things. On the other hand, Ariel is willing to be silenced in exchange for physical alteration,.

Ursula obtains her power legally. Unlike Disney's other villains whose plans involved illegitimate means, Ursula received the Trident as consideration pursuant to a contract. She had played by the rules, and in return, she was impaled in her Cecaelian gut by an emasculated and character-less prince!

Didn't she actively try to stop Ariel from marrying Eric?

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
A lot of contracts are legal and fair. Doesn't make the person who made it not evil.

OP
OP
FernandoRocker
Oct 25, 2017
México
Didn't she actively try to stop Ariel from marrying Eric?
The Contract does not contain a duty to act in good faith.

Ariel is dealing with a renown sea-witch. She cannot expect a sea-witch to act in good faith. Ursula, in her wiliness, might have said "Oh, of course!" when asked whether she would act in good faith, but Ariel certainly would not have said so.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017

Ariel is dealing with a renown sea-witch. She cannot expect a sea-witch to act in good faith. Ursula, in her wiliness, might have said "Oh, of course!" when asked whether she would act in good faith, but Ariel certainly would not have said so.
So you are arguing that somebody who is to be expected to act in poor faith and abuse a contract made with a minor not capable of understanding the terms of the contract isn't evil.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017

You're claiming that Ursula wasn't evil and now your saying Ariel shouldn't have expected her to not be evil?

Failburger

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
The Little Mermaid was a story how a girl was trying to get a dick in her. Ursula did no wrong

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

So she's evil

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl

Okay then Ursala is evil. She had a legal contract but acted in bad faith.

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
also Ursula didn't take Ariel's voice for freedom of expression or whatever you are trying to claim, she took it in order to use Ariel as a bargaining chip over King Tritan. Her whole goal was to find a way to have the king give her what she wanted, and Ariel and her voice were a means to accomplish that. Seems pretty evil to me.

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
The contract was technically legal, but I think any self-respecting judge would throw it out based on predatory business.

Kino

Oct 25, 2017

Victim blaming much? Do you think drug dealers who sell to kids are also doing nothing wrong?

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Isn't Ursula a literal child predator? She wanted to take advantage of Ariel's naivety.

And all things considered, Tritan isn't an awful father. By Greek/Roman God's standards, he's pretty decent.

Keio

Nov 5, 2017
I think this thread explains why our capitalism fails. You cannot put legality of a predatory contract in front of the morality of Ursula's practices which clearly show she just exploited a poor girl in an evil way. Legality does not make evil right.

Plus we can't know if the contract was legal at the time in Denmark since we have no access to laws of that time.

Totally clears the sea-witch. Thank you!
Perfect.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Also the contract itself has been analyzed by a commercial lawyer to show that it wasn't a legit contract that could be enforced

uh5BbHm.jpg

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
Also the contract itself has been analyzed by a commercial lawyer to show that it wasn't a legit contract that could be enforced

uh5BbHm.jpg
Oh my god.
That's delightful. I often wondered if I was really an adult but reading hypothetical legalese on evil sea witch contracts must be an indicator.

Nov 11, 2017
Ursula broke the contract first by sending her henchmen to mess with Ariel and Erik and then further by impersonating Ariel, using her voice and hypnotizing him.

TheBryanJZX90

Nov 29, 2017

You can sue someone for tortious interference with a contract

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
You can sue someone for tortious interference with a contract
And with King Triton being an absolute monarch who would clearly be in charge of determining the judicial appointments to the supreme court of the seven seas, there's little chance Ursula would be able to win a legal battle in the end.

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
User warned: derogatory language

Ursula didn't prize Ariel's voice, it was just a handicap to make things much harder for Ariel. I would say Ursula didn't even care about Ariel, she was just a tool to get to Triton who was her real goal.

I also contend that Ariel got gypped by the timeline, she really only got two days instead of three.

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I disagree, if I made a contract with someone that I can commit a crime against them I doubt it will be valid in court and it won't hold up.

TheBryanJZX90

Nov 29, 2017
I'm not sure you can tortiously interfere with your own contract, but there's probably an implied covenant of good faith and fair dealing she breached.
Yeah I was trying to see if that was actually possible or not and couldn't tell in the first minute or so so I gave up. On the other hand, I'm also not really seeing a justification for no cause of action existing against a party to a contract when a cause of action would lie against a third party doing the exact same actions.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ursula WAS evil irrespective of the contract, assuming you consider "evil" objectively definable.

She knowingly manipulated desperate merefolk into deals she knew she would game against them so that she could own their souls and keep them as slug people.

Besides, you know she's evil because Disney coded her as queer. (That's not really a joke tbh)

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like this sort of thread because it's very clear who is lawyers, who is goofs, and who is pretending to be lawyers.

morningbus

Oct 31, 2017
This Disney thread devolved into a discussion about how Libertarians believe you should be able to sell yourself into slavery much faster than usual.