Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I love love! And I'm a sap for a good romance story; but some characters are just better built for it than others.

So let's live within this realm of movie/TV characters being propped up as bachelor/ettes, and if they're actually someone you'd want to bring home or someone who kinda sucks and might actually be toxic.

Allow me to start...

72f748e91e2b63f9555aa8cf3fd594e4.gif
tumblr_mfw9mpU2kF1rcn88ho1_400.gif

❤️ Filipe from 'Eat, Pray, Love' is probably the best thing in the third act (indeed, the 'Love' part) of a mid-tier movie. Javier Bardem's charisma and openness feels natural and fun, and it spares us from Julia Robert's character essentially starting her world tour because she felt some first-world sadness (not like that's bad/unrealistic, it's just not that deep here). Anyways, he says a lot of cheesy romantic stuff, but because its Bardem (played with all the warmth of Anton Chigurgh Juan Antonio, Uxbal, Stilgar), you believe it.

...I'll also defend he 'Eat' part of this movie too. Because if you go abroad and don't gain at least 10 lbs in good food, then what's even the point? 🍝

5f49518e2e1c4fdd6e33eaf09d0ba5bc3750d518.gifv
giphy.gif

💔 Seth Cohen from The OC is kinda terrible. I think he's a fine character (he's funny, perfectly annoying, and played well by Adam Brody), but given 90% of The OC IS focused on relationships: he's a terrible boyfriend. He keeps Anna on ice because of his crush on Summer; he wants to flirt with his comic book Manager ("a chick likes comic books?!" lol); pestering Alex about being a lesbian; the whole Seth x Summer x Zack love triangle essentially repeats itself TWICE in Season 2, and just a general self-centered attitude. I respect that most of the show's run is focused on his relationship with Summer — they're "that couple" and their (very real) chemistry shined in how well they bickered — but the roadblocks they put in their way never made him look better.

Summer is maybe The OC's MVP; she also nails that bitchy teen attitude flawlessly and without being terrible for it.

Last edited:

Xandalan

Oct 17, 2020
So Hugh jackman. In Kate and Leopold Im straight maybe but he is the perfect man right?

Xandalan

Oct 17, 2020
I do not remember his name but First Christmas Kiss in an elevator male has to be awful I remember him being lame

Xandalan

Oct 17, 2020
So Dice have you seen When in Rome and if you did which suitor would you choose for Kristen Bell. Danny Devito cause it's super weird for me.

mantidor

Oct 25, 2017
I think most of them are trash honestly, it's kind of how rom coms work, they have to be flawed. If they are perfect there is no conflict and theres no movie.

I now immediately thought of "My Best Friend's Wedding" and how Cameron Diaz' character is so perfect its almost annoying, and the movie kind of hammers that point across lol

Xandalan

Oct 17, 2020
IS Era embarrassed by rom com crushes? It blows my mind no one is commenting. I love rom coms!. It is cheesy and kinda weird but 13 going 30 with Jennifer Garner and Mark Ruffalo is kinda cute.

Xandalan

Oct 17, 2020
So Bride Wars is the worst Rom Com of all time right? I am finding it sad this is the hill im dying on.

ahoyle

Feb 16, 2018
I'd say Meg Ryan's character in You've Got Mail is pretty idealic. At least to me.

jiggle

Dec 23, 2017
Mr Darcy (Firth) couldn't be anymore perfect. Just check out that posture. And look at the size of his P
emberley

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
While You Were Sleeping does a good job of showing why pullman is better suited for FeMC and he still is not a perfect character as he fumbles around.