• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 5322

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
www.polygon.com

Firewatch team’s next game ‘on hold’ as it works on other Valve projects

Campo Santo team is working on Half-Life: Alyx, Dota Underlords, and other projects for now

Polygon said:
In 2017, Firewatch developer Campo Santo unveiled In the Valley of Gods, a promising-looking first-person adventure set in Egypt. The following year, Valve, the maker of Counter-Strike, Steam, and Dota 2, snapped up Campo Santo. Some Firewatch fans worried that Campo Santo had been swallowed by a company notorious for not shipping games.

Just last month, Firewatch fans freaked out a little bit more when multiple Campo Santo developers who had joined Valve removed any and all mention of In the Valley of Gods from their Twitter bios. It was a worrying sign.

But then Valve announced Half-Life: Alyx, a VR-only prequel to Half-Life 2. Several Campo Santo developers were confirmed to be working on the project. Still, the fate of In the Valley of Gods was uncertain.

But no longer. Campo Santo co-founder Jake Rodkin confirms that "In the Valley of Gods development is on hold," but not outright canceled. In a statement to Polygon, Rodkin says that former Campo Santo developers are busy working on not just Half-Life: Alyx, but Dota Underlords, Steam, and other Valve projects as well. Here's his full statement:

To fans looking forward to In the Valley of Gods, it's probably clear that the optimistic "2019" at the end of the announcement trailer isn't going to be accurate. In the end, Valve Time makes fools of us all. But yes, developers from the former Campo Santo team have joined other projects at Valve, including Half-Life: Alyx. As you can imagine, our experience in the first-person adventure genre is pretty relevant. You hear a lot about how at Valve you can work on what you want. It turns out that's true, and there's a lot of work available. As we integrated ourselves into Valve it became clear there was a lot of valuable work to be done on Half-Life: Alyx. Some of us starting lending a hand, and have since become full-time on the project as it approaches launch. Similarly, some ex-Campos are working on Dota Underlords, some are on Steam, and so on. So to answer your question as of today, In the Valley of Gods development is on hold—but it certainly feels like a project people can and may return to. And when that happens, we'll find an exciting way to let fans know.

Bummerrrr

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

the worst possible outcome, but alas, no surprise there

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Guess that other thread was on point. Too bad. This game looked interesting.

Lethologica

Oct 27, 2017
Not a surprise after the devs updated a lot of their social media profiles to remove references to the game. What a shame.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
That's so lame. Not a shock though, they had to know what they were getting into with Valve.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
What was the purpose of Valve buying this team if they were just going to put this game on hold? The logical assumption was that Valve wanted to buy them after being impressed with what they saw of Valley of the Gods.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
Would you pass up the chance to put your name on one of the biggest names in gaming?

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unsurprising, once they became a part of Valve, they are free to work on whatever they deem most important/the best use of their time. If it's meant to be, the team will resume working on it.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
What was the purpose of Valve buying this team if they were just going to put this game on hold? The logical assumption was that Valve wanted to buy them after being impressed with what they saw of Valley of the Gods.
People on the team got interested in working on other things, valve didnt direct them to do so

Deleted member 7373

They wanted the people not the game.

Messofanego

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Suspected as such, it's a shame. But I'm already waiting for Alan Wake 2, so I can easily wait for this.

James Benson definitely animating Alyx, right? His work on Firewatch and Ori was great.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Well, if Valve are the ones who have to green light it, at this point, it's probably never happening, but you couldn't ask to have a more talented team working on Half Life Alyx, so I guess it's not the worst possible scenario.

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
Godamnit. I hope the team revisits it at some point.

As other users have said, I can see the appeal of working on Half-Life. It was great to see some HL art from Claire Hummel recently.

Oct 25, 2017
If they're being 100% honest and the reason is simply that a majority of devs that were involved in this would rather work on something else right now, I'm honestly happy for them.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I get it.

I've kinda hoped they would work on Half Life games and actually get Episode 3 out the door. But . . . I'm not going to lie. I didn't want them to do this until after In the Valley of Gods shipped.

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
Well, a soul for a soul. I'm still looking forward to playing In The Valley of Gods one day!

yxFDFDF.jpg

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
Man if Half Life Alyx releases and they keep them on some crummy Valve games that would be awful. Let the studio you bought make quality games.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
I rather have Valley than a half life offshoot and dota stuff tbh. But I'm not surprised by this outcome, valve is like penny wise.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
not surprising, but still disappointing

Wonder what the ''other things'' are though, hopefully something as cool-looking

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
Honestly, I'm pleased with this news. I was already interested in Half-Life: Alyx, but knowing the talent from Campo is assisting on the game makes me more excited for it. In The Valley of Gods didn't really jump out to me, other than having really nice art direction.

Really excited to see how Alyx turns out.

Catvoca

Oct 25, 2017
I would rather play In the Valley of the Gods than any Valve game so this is a bummer