• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
That was reality for me. With that said, I can't speak for everyone, and Valve is a big company.

In my experience, there are "shadow structures" and politics that will happen at any company that adopts flat/no management. Certain people's opinions are very important, and you figure out who those people are pretty quick.

You are very much at liberty to work on whatever you deem important, and it's in your best interest to convince others the thing you want to work on are the right things, or else you'll have a hard time recruiting people to work on it with you. It's not hard to believe a lot of Campo Santo joined Valve and decided their time was better spent on other prominent Valve projects.
I appreciate this insight. It's just the inherent politics, bonuses you mentioned and such that leave me skeptical of the idea that it was just a simple "I want to do this because it's more interesting" choice being made that caused this project to be shelved. And it's a bummer because I feel like knowing Valve's history, the game being on hold feels like it's really just as good as cancelled.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
I find it hard to believe they suddenly don't want to make the game they were making. It looked great.
Not that surprising once you realize that on most long term projects youll run out of passion and will be using your own work ethic to finish it from that point. And your work ethic will be mostly motivated by threat of finacial ruin (indie) or loss of job (AAA). This is why the open work enviornment is valves greatest weakness and strength. Can bounce out of bad projects but also run the risk of never finishing anything as that lull hits you

fundogmo

Oct 25, 2017
This is like how my dad put bike riding lessons on hold, before he left to get cigarettes 20 years ago.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Valve is crazy about VR hardware -> Needs a killer app to move sales and the tech forward -> "uhh, what can we use that will interest people... Oh, Half-Life of course"

And that's it.
Parallel to that reasoning:
Valve wants Half-Life to raise the bar again -> Needs novel and groundbreaking design elements to live up to Half-Life's pedigree and raison d'rtre -> "uhh, what can we utilize to make Half-Life stand out again... oh, VR of course"

Half-Life Alyx is a VR game because VR needed a killer app AND because Half-Life needed something to enable it to stand out and push boundaries again. There are a lot of people, people who recognized Half-Life's place in shooter history, who saw this coming years ago.

Mar 23, 2018
giphy.gif

ymgve

Oct 31, 2017
Take it as you want, but this is literally how we know development operates in Valve — for better or worse, as disgruntled former employees have voiced.

From those reports, it's not about what people want to work on, it's that people are encouraged to work on successful games so they get bonuses and praise from their peers.

I guess that's why Zach Barth decided to quit Valve too - he saw that there was no room at Valve for small indie projects.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
Rough to see a studio that that made a game as good as fire watch just be dissolved into AAA quagmire. I'm going to be petty for a second and call them sellouts, and then acknowledge that it's more complicated than that. Shit situation for fans, but good for them if that's what they wanted.

Goodness gracious.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Can't really blame them for wanting to work on a new Half-Life game. Don't know what those other 2 VR games are. Could have excited some folks.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i subscribe to the 'side' that they weren't really feeling the game anyway

if Firewatch was totally my jam i'd be crushed but as somebody who thought it was merely good and Valley looked like a great follow up... not sure i could care less of two shits. but see where it goes... if this ends up as an analogue of Rare doing Kinect shovelware then sure i'll scream and throw beer bottles at the corporate overlords

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
I mean, there's also the possibility that In the Valley of the Gods just wasn't working out.

It happens to tons of games. Lots of times you press on, cobbling and shoring together what you can to make it somehow work, but sometimes games just don't come together no matter how good of an idea they seem when you first start them.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Parallel to that reasoning:
Valve wants Half-Life to raise the bar again -> Needs novel and groundbreaking design elements to live up to Half-Life's pedigree and raison d'rtre -> "uhh, what can we utilize to make Half-Life stand out again... oh, VR of course"

Half-Life Alyx is a VR game because VR needed a killer app AND because Half-Life needed something to enable it to stand out and push boundaries again. There are a lot of people, people who recognized Half-Life's place in shooter history, who saw this coming years ago.
they saw it years ago because the rumor has been around for years lol. listen to the interview they did with Keighley. it was crystal clear that they made this because they were looking for a tentpole VR game, not because they were looking for the next Half Life game. they said they tried a bunch of Valve franchises, and the only reason they didn't go with Portal is because the motion would make people sick. they brought Half Life into the picture because they thought it was a good fit for a tentpole VR game with the ability to get people to buy in. that's really all there is to it

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
LOL at some of y'all thinking it's 2004 where working on a half life title is some sort of prestigious job in The Gaming Community

Jiffy Smooth

Dec 12, 2018
I don't think anyone who listened to Idle Thumbs could find it hard to imagine Sean dropping everything to work on DOTA.

Terra

May 15, 2019
I mean, there's also the possibility that In the Valley of the Gods just wasn't working out.

It happens to tons of games. Lots of times you press on, cobbling and shoring together what you can to make it somehow work, but sometimes games just don't come together no matter how good of an idea they seem when you first start them.

yeah I think for a lot of people it's less that Valley of the Gods specifically has been cancelled and more the fact that a really talented group of developers have basically been dissolved. It's a real shame that we won't ever get a follow up to Firewatch. (Also podcasts if you were an idle thumbs listener, I wasn't but I know a lot of people who loved those shows)

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
LOL at some of y'all thinking it's 2004 where working on a half life title is some sort of prestigious job in The Gaming Community
it's not the community it's the industry lmao and working for Valve on Half Life is absolutely one of the most prestigious things you could have on a resumé. did you really think this was a good post?

jay

Oct 25, 2017
To believe that there is no internal pressure and they can simply work on what they want means the team found other things more interesting than their game. That's a little hard to believe.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
This makes a lot of sense. I'd imagine that once given more options a lot of employees dispersed into Valve chasing things that interest them.

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017

LOL imagine posting this without reading the media over the last couple of weeks reporting about the official debut of HL: Alyx and that Index units, which cost up towards $1,000, are currently on backordered until the next year.

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
All these people saying "I would totally give up VOTGs to work on Half-Life" clearly aren't artists or have never had a passion project.
I don't believe for a second any of them changed games willingly

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
Would I get banned if I used an ugly word for Valve? This is one of the most saddest gaming news in this gen, at least for me... fuck this

Daniagatha

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 31, 2018
Brazil
I for one am very sad with this news. I loved Firewatch, was looking for In the Valley of Gods. And it makes me more sad bc I will never play HL: Alexys and I never cared for dota.

But oh well....what can i do right?