• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Reading about how valve works, it's seems safe to think there will be no Steam Controller 2. More focus on VR hardware wise. Steam Input was the successful byproduct of the Steam Machines/Link thing, but it doesn't need the Steam Controller to continue, may not even need more work until PS5 and Xbox next. Oh my gosh. They may have gotten all modern console controllers supported in Steam Input to take SC's place. Ah well.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
People on the team got interested in working on other things, valve didnt direct them to do so
Campo showed a beautiful trailer for their new game and it got a very positive response, and then they decided to shelve the project? Can you think of a similar situation where a team showed a game, people reacted positively to it, and then they canned it?

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Campo showed a beautiful trailer for their new game and it got a very positive response, and then they decided to shelve the project? Can you think of a similar situation where a team showed a game, people reacted positively to it, and then they canned it?

Ya, getting to work on Half Life. I can't imagine a PC game dev not shitting their pants at that chance.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
I appreciate this insight. It's just the inherent politics, bonuses you mentioned and such that leave me skeptical of the idea that it was just a simple "I want to do this because it's more interesting" choice being made that caused this project to be shelved. And it's a bummer because I feel like knowing Valve's history, the game being on hold feels like it's really just as good as cancelled.

If it will never get made, then that is the reality of people choosing what they want to do and not what economical realities there are or executives decide to do.

There are 3 scenarios I can see for why Campo Santo decided to make Valley of the gods:

- a passion project from a handful of people within Campo Santo ---> low chance of it getting completed if those passionate people don't find enough talent within Valve that wants to work on the game. good chance of Valve giving away the IP and the passionate people leaving Valve to make that game
- the necessity to make a new game so that you survive the next years ---> very very low chance this gets completed because the reason for it existing, is gone. Unless it was 90% done or so.
- a passion project from dozens of people within Campo Santo ---> good chance of it getting completed.

The reality is: 90 to 95% of people within a Studio don't care on what project they work, especially if it is a new IP with no emotional history whatsoever.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Some of you guys are extremely greedy.

Yeah. For folks like us that find a fuck ton of Value in a lot of what comes out of Valve, this isn't really "news" other than confirmation of what we've already guessed. Of course, there are products that some of us will care for and others won't, but as always seeing so many unexpected excellent things coming out of Valve year on year - with such a small amount of folks is great.

Hope they go back to it eventually, but outside of Steam, Underlords and HL:A, so curious what other projects have captured their interests

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
This announcement is bit of a crushing disappointment, but at least the devs get to work on something else and not be, you know, defunct.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"On Hold" lol

It's dead, Jake. Don't even bother trying to put a positive spin on it. If the people who created In the Valley of Gods aren't interested in working on it, how can you even begin to hope that they will recruit a staff of other employees to come together and finish the game at some later date? With Valve's hierarchy and management structure being what it is, I don't think there's any chance the game gets resuscitated. Valve had more than a decade to make Half Life Episode 3 or Left 4 Dead 3 and couldn't be bothered to do so. What interest or ambition will there be in returning to a lesser IP like In the Valley of Gods?

I mostly feel annoyed that they spent the last couple years acting like everything was full steam ahead, and didn't announce this until their hand was basically forced by the promised "2019" release date coming due. They yanked the trailer down off YouTube months ago and said it was just a music licensing issue.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
If the fine people at Campo Santo want to produce Half Life Alyx, or DotA and CSGO skins, or anything at all, it ain't for me to tell them they have to make me ItVotG instead.

Nono, they should make what #Forum User 256 wants them to make, and not what the individual dev wants to do.

According to some posters here:
Devs working at Campo Santo before Valve: They were all passionate about making the game, every one of them, there was no executive telling them what to work on all of them 100% wanted to make that game.
Devs working at Valve: The devs are shackled to their desks and they have no free will on what to do within Valve.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
To believe that there is no internal pressure and they can simply work on what they want means the team found other things more interesting than their game. That's a little hard to believe.

Chris Remo went into this before HL:A announcement. There's no pressure, but people recognise how valuable it is to work on projects that need the help, and they have the expertise and experience to contribute massively to. The whole interview is worth watching, not that it will help the incessant knee jerking

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Depends on who "they" are. Campo no longer exists. They're all individual Valve employees now.

Could a few leave and start their own studio? Possibly, that's not uncommon in that business.
I'm talking about the core team members for In the Valley of the Gods. Or maybe once they are full of Valve money and tired of the company culture they'll buy themselves back.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

From a kickstarter video of a thing that never came out.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
This whole deal sounds awful.

What was the point of them joining Valve with their game if they just worked on other stuff? Fucking dota? Oof.

I guess it's what they feel like doing and it's cool to have that option but I'd be lying if I said I'm at all interested now.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Half Life 2 episode 3. (not a small indy team though)

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017

What was the point of them joining Valve with their game if they just worked on other stuff? Fucking dota? Oof.

I guess it's what they feel like doing and it's cool to have that option but I'd be lying if I said I'm at all interested now.

Maybe that was the point for many of them?

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

What was the point of them joining Valve with their game of they just worked on other stuff? Fucking dota? Oof
Piles of money and massive support for their further creative endeavours, even if those endeavours became different things?

"Why even take a cushy job with one of the most important developers in PC gaming today?"

Like, if your question is, "Why did Valve buy them", that's fair. I think. That was the question I had when Valve bought them. Not that they didn't have value, it just seemed a curious match and an unxpected move on Valve's part, and I'm still interested to know what the thinking was. But the question "Why did they sell" just seems bizarre. It seems somewhat likely what many of them were offered was something of a dream job.

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
Were I in their shoes, I'd probably jump at making the next Half-Life given what it has meant and continues to mean to me. I can only see them making it better, given how much I've enjoyed their work on other games, and we'll see what becomes of ITVOG in the future.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
How many other times do people get to work on one of the most influential fps's of all time? Which probably inspired most of the team there

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Piles of money and massive support for their further creative endeavours, even if those endeavours became different things?

"Why even take a cushy job with one of the most important developers in PC gaming today?"

Like, if your question is, "Why did Valve buy them", that's fair. I think. That was the question I had when Valve bought them. Not that they didn't have value, it just seemed a curious match and an unxpected move on Valve's part, and I'm still interested to know what the thinking was. But the question "Why did they sell" just seems bizarre. It seems somewhat likely what many of them were offered was something of a dream job.

Definitely leaning towards the former question. It was indeed a weird pick and I thought maybe someone at Valve was maybe blown away by their game, but if even the team who created it have bailed on it, it just seems weirder. It's not like Valve was short on developers who know their way around FPS games.

Like I said though, definitely works out cool for them because they can do things like this in that environment; I don't think that would be an option anywhere else.

rip valley.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
I can totally see the Idle Thumbs guys look at what is going at Valve and the shipping windows for these games, and out their project on the backburner to help make these as good as they can be for next year.

If they were coerced into this it really sucks, but knowing them walking into Valve must be like kids going into a candy store.

Askherserenity

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I miss Important If True 😢

I miss Idle Thumbs and Important If True!

Glad Campo is able to work on the new Half Life though. Hopefully it was up to them to decide to can their own game for now...

Also, I know it probably just SEEMS that way but I find it weird how people that start working at Valve suddenly get real low-key or kinda disappear from the public eye/the internet.

I mean, I guess they are pretty busy making a NEW HALF-LIFE.

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
Haha ok fair enough then! Still seems weird though - if people can work on whatever the hell they want why did it take so long for Half Life to get this prequel? No one wanted to work on a half life game for 12 years? Anyway people that worked there obviously have a better idea than me so I'll shut up and take their word for it!
Actually yes that's why. Check out Geoff Keighley's interview with some of the team when the HLA announcement dropped.

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I miss Idle Thumbs and Important If True!

Glad Campo is able to work on the new Half Life though. Hopefully it was up to them to decide to can their own game for now...

Also, I know it probably just SEEMS that way but I find it weird how people that start working at Valve suddenly get real low-key or kinda disappear from the public eye/the internet.

I mean, I guess they are pretty busy making a NEW HALF-LIFE.
They are probably under NDAs that make social media and the likes difficult.

JoeInky

Oct 25, 2017

I mean I could be 99% finished with a game that I've spent years on but if Valve randomly decided to hire me and buy my IP or whatever I would 100% drop it just to work on DOTA or HL:A.

That's not the sort of opportunity that comes around very often.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
It's dead, Jim Jake.

Can't help but be personally disappointed, even if I obviously understand the allure of working on a Half-Life game.

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge
This is really disappointing and frustrating. I'd much rather play something fresh and new like In The Valley of Gods than some Half-Life side-project. I'd trade the entire Half-Life franchise for the game, to be honest. But I should've known that the game died when they joined Valve because there's no way Valve would just acquire the entire studio and publish the game for them.

All that said, with all my personal frustration aside, I'm really happy for the team to be given the opportunity to work on whatever they want. Even if In The Valley of Gods is not meant to be, I'm always going to be grateful for Firewatch. <3

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
Great, I'll look forward to playing it alongside Half Life 2 Episode 3 then.

Fucking lame.

Ando

Apr 21, 2018
wonder if the game wasn't working out or whether they realised their personal life would be a lot better if they earned substantially more through fitting in at valve's culture and working on profitable projects (don't think there's a problem with this)

would be quite shocked if they wholly dropped a new ip they were excited for to work on HL due solely to creative passion, based on their attitude to franchises and lore on idle thumbs and the effort to get to this point

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly, I'm wondering if maybe In the Valley wasn't turning out so hot. I understand that maybe you don't say no to an opportunity like "the next Half Life game", but that thing is out in 5 4 months. Seems weird they would so unceremoniously drop it instead of being like "oh yeah, we're gonna work on that right after we ship Alyx"

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
I love how during all of this, no one gives a shit about the developers and their choices to work on what they feel is most valuable.

Kurt Russell

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Really disappointed this got shelved for a VR game and DOTA.

"Why is Valve not using the Half-Life license, those evil bastards!?"

"a VR game"

And that's pretty much this whole thread so far. Lots of companies cancel/put games on hold. Lots of them do it after being acquired by bigger devs/pubs. But it seems only Evil Valve (tm) does it.
Also, we know straight from the horse's mouth that the Campo Santo people who moved over to the HL team (or the Dota team, or whatever) did it because they wanted to, but nope, better to just call out the evil Valve that's taking some time off their perennial indie killing so they can kill new games (that we didn''t really know much about, but hey, let's ignore that bit, doesn't fit very well).
People here keep talking about wanting the best for developers, but they forget to clarify that "the best for developers" is not something those developers should have a say in, but rather whatever the mob here wants.

Also all the ignorant "Half-Life side project" takes...