• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MassiveNights

Oct 25, 2017
Firewatch is undoubtedly my favourite of 'those' type of games and probably top 10 of last 5 years, so this is a huge bummer.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Remember when we had the first one when Campo was bought and Campo devs came here to say they were dissapointed with the reaction and era promised to be better?

I remember.
I mean people here actively ignore Jane's tweets whenever they get posted, what did you expect?

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Oct 27, 2017
Remember when we had the first one when Campo was bought and Campo devs came here to say they were dissapointed with the reaction and era promised to be better?

I remember.
I do. This forum wants to attract developers, yet when you have a thread full of people calling developers liars and sell-outs—developers who post here no less—the only mod response is... to take part in the thread. Wild.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
I presume they're experimenting and working on a bunch of projects and pitches, but barely any of them live on for long enough to see the light of day. And the ones that do, and are games, tend to be these attempts at being big popular multiplayer trend things, with hats.

Gotta say, I stopped reading at this point, because there hasn't been anything hat related in bloody years. Not years. Like, at least do a little digging and edit your post to say "Courier". Though if you're going to dig at all, I don't see why you wouldn't just educate yourself about Valve generally.

Also, jesus, Half Life: Alyx isn't multiplayer.

Lord!

I do. This forum wants to attract developers, yet when you have a thread full of people calling developers liars and sell-outs—developers who post here no less—the only mod response is... to take part in the thread. Wild.

I legit feel embarrassed about posting in gaming threads here nowadays.

Charcoal

Nov 2, 2017
I have the original Olly Moss prints from Firewatch, so I was excited about possibly seeing new stuff from VoG.

My dreams are crushed again.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Gotta say, I stopped reading at this point, because there hasn't been anything hat related in bloody years. Not years. Like, at least do a little digging and edit your post to say "Courier". Though if you're going to dig at all, I don't see why you wouldn't just educate yourself about Valve generally.

Also, jesus, Half Life: Alyx isn't multiplayer.

Lord!

I legit feel embarrassed about posting in gaming threads here nowadays.
No one should be upset by hats. People in this thread are just generally rowdy about any negative sentiment towards Valve at this point I guess.

Hats, couriers. Tomato, potato. I went with hats because it was my first thought, and so I assumed also a reference most people here would get.
Just a good-natured poke at how Valve tends to be into their metagame stuff, and an implication that I'm not. Although I appreciate the couple of $ I get from selling Steam cards.

Valve tends to work in the multiplayer arena, especially in the last decade or so. I pointed out Alyx as an exception to this, and as a game that I would be interested in. But VR is expensive as the whole of hell and also doesn't seem completely "settled" yet, as it were.

Last edited:

nded

Nov 14, 2017
great. consumed by the valve machine and made to do it's bidding. i was half hopeful they'd be left to make what they wanted but i guess not. i imagine once alyx is done they'll be forever making DOTA shit.
There are tweets from several Campo Santo devs that make clear this was their own decision, but don't let that get in your way or anything.

Oct 25, 2017
I have the original Olly Moss prints from Firewatch, so I was excited about possibly seeing new stuff from VoG.

My dreams are crushed again.
Just FYI, Olly Moss didn't join Valve at the same time as Campo Santo team, and he explicitly mentioned that he wasn't going to work on ItVoG when he was hired (well, unless they needed help). So yeah, he was probably working on Alyx from the very day he was in Valve.

Oct 27, 2017
mWt5gJeg.jpg

Had little interest in the original pitch, now it looks even less interesting.

Working on HL VR sounds like more fun, although working on mobile game UI sounds like the last thing you want to do in Valve.

Crono

Oct 25, 2017
90% of people in this thread just want to find a reason to bash valve. People need to grow up. Hopefully they gi back to this game because I'd be curious to play it.

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
No one should be upset by hats. People in this thread are just generally rowdy about any negative sentiment towards Valve at this point I guess.

The only reason people are "rowdy" in this thread is users like yourself saying the same tired ol' Valve meme takes that has been mentioned for years when we have an article, statements, and even the devs on social media and this very thread stating that Valve weren't the ones that shut down "In the Valley of the Gods". Do people have a right to be disappointed that the game is on indefinite hold? Of course. I, too, was looking forward to the game. However, shitting on the devs and Valve when there's proof that it isn't the case is just uncalled for.

Hibiki

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
That's disappointing. I feel like it's gojng to become vapourware.

David Addison

Oct 28, 2017
This forum wants to attract developers, yet when you have a thread full of people calling developers liars and sell-outs
There are like, four people that attacked CS so far, and ja2ke even thumbsupped a Valve shitpost in this very thread. What are you even talking about?

But since we're pulling receipts from eighteen months ago:
What do you think this is, Valve bought a 12 person indie studio just so they could stop them making the game they were making and claim they're still making?

Actinium

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
California
I don't think the thread would be so overwhelmingly negative if a game being put "on hold" wasn't an often used pr line for full on cancelled, or if being aquired by a larger entity didn't almost always result in game studios losing their identity and/or breaking up entirely. Like, we should absolutely believe and support the devs if they say all is well, but this is a distressing amount of smoke for there to be no fire.

bad poster

Banned
Jan 6, 2018
no ill-will towards the people involved but it really is disappointing to have an interesting looking game pushed aside for one that... isn't particularly

Oct 27, 2017
There are like, four people that attacked CS so far, and ja2ke even thumbsupped a Valve shitpost in this very thread. What are you even talking about?

The fact that you a) went back to find a post of mine from ages ago to shame me, and b) found one that isn't actually what happened here is kind of blowing my mind. I guess you got me.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Good luck getting more developers on this site when they're treated like shit when they are here.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017

From the original article:

You hear a lot about how at Valve you can work on what you want. It turns out that's true, and there's a lot of work available. As we integrated ourselves into Valve it became clear there was a lot of valuable work to be done on Half-Life: Alyx.

So Valve didnt buy them to "drop down their game" but rather they chose to because they found other stuff more interesting / rewarding. Which is the main point of contention he has, that people are just saying that Valve is forcing them to do work against their will.

But keep your "win points", because you just dont seem to understand what Randomly Generated is complaining about.

The fact that you a) went back to find a post of mine from ages ago to shame me, and b) found one that isn't actually what happened here is kind of blowing my mind. I guess you got me.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Half Life Alyx wasnt announced back then. Now that it is a thing, its justified that the developers choose to work on it. Half Life Alyx > anything else

also Valve didnt canned it. The dev shelved it themselves. Please dont embarrass yourselves

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
The only reason people are "rowdy" in this thread is users like yourself saying the same tired ol' Valve meme takes that has been mentioned for years when we have an article, statements, and even the devs on social media and this very thread stating that Valve weren't the ones that shut down "In the Valley of the Gods". Do people have a right to be disappointed that the game is on indefinite hold? Of course. I, too, was looking forward to the game. However, shitting on the devs and Valve when there's proof that it isn't the case is just uncalled for.
Yes I know. Users like myself are not doing any of that. Or what gave you the impression I did?

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017

Hats, couriers. Tomato, potato. I went with hats because it was my first thought, and so I assumed also a reference most people here would get.
Just a good-natured poke at how Valve tends to be into their metagame stuff, and an implication that I'm not.

The problem is that "Valve hats" is a tired meme at this point that's often used to dismiss the effort that Valve staff put into Steam, dev tools and games. It's hugely disrespectful to the people who work there to boil down the perception of a company to "hats and meta", regardless of if it's meant to be "good-natured". Maybe you weren't aware of the meme, in which case, fair enough, but that's why I stopped reading.