• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Is there some place to read up on the history of banned cards in Yu-gi-oh? I don't know anything outside of the TV show, but I'd be interested in reading about controversial cards like that.

You can just search for any card on the list and you'll find why it was banned, but I honestly don't know of any article site detailing every single one

HypestHero

Aug 18, 2019
I made an account just to say how much I've enjoyed this thread!
Fj0823 - I haven't played Yu-Gi-Oh since the show and TCG started in the US, but reading through your descriptions has been a treat! Thank you!
I also finally understand the crazy card frames I've seen

Heroic Champion - Excalibur
OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I made an account just to say how much I've enjoyed this thread!
Fj0823 -
I haven't played Yu-Gi-Oh since the show and TCG started in the US, but reading through your descriptions has been a treat! Thank you!
I also finally understand the crazy card frames I've seen

HypestHero That means a LOT to me, thank you.

f164becc58446ba518b658f15aa09237a01a51d6_hq.gif

Heroic Champion - Excalibur
Generation 4: ZEXAL
Users: Gauche / Nistro , Yuma Tsukumo

Artwork:

After Yuma's first encounter with Kaito and his monumental defeat against his powerful Photon Deck, Yuma was down in the dumps until one day, during the city wide "Duel Carnival" tournament, one of his shitty friends gets captured by a new pair of goons at the service of Dr. Faker, the tough guy, Nistro and the elegant beauty, Dextra. Both of them challenge Yuma to a Duel. With Nistro taking the first turn and displaying his "Bounzer" monsters
image10473.jpg

Nistro, eventually summons the powerful "Photon Strike Bounzer", which triggers Yuma's insecurities after his defeat against Kaito's all-Photon deck. After Yuma manages to overcome both him and Dextra, Nistro takes a liking to Yuma, and starts a sort of rival-esque relationship with him, where he intends Yuma to improve after every match. For this reason, Nistro decides to start using his own deck as opposed to Dr Faker's "Photons", he starts facing Yuma with his "Heroic" cards

These powerful warriors excel at swarming the field with Knights ready to fight, including powerful main deck monsters such as "Heroic Challenger - Thousand Blades" which can be used in many combo plays, and outright broken Xyz monsters such as "Number 86: Heroic Champion - Rhongominyad" which is currently banned for tournament play due to its ability to be summoned using a variable number of same level monsters, and getting more and more busted effects the more monsters you use to summon it.

But in the anime, Nistro's ace card is "Heroic Champion Excalibur" a card he uses throughout his many duels with Yuma, and a card he decides to give Yuma as proof of his respect for him. Excalibur later becomes a powerful asset on Yuma's deck....That's used like once or twice because he plays all his duels the exact same way, spamming "Utopia".

I'm afraid I'm not too big of a fan of this card's design, to me, it's an early symptom of the boring design choices that are now plaguing generation 6, it's a boring, faceless mechanical warrior with a giant sword with no real personality to it...The armor looks impractical, as does it's helmet and the gigantic sword blocking like half of the monster's design bothers me, there has to be much better ways to put emphasis on the Excalibur sword he is carrying than this. Anyways, I can say I really like the color in his armor and the cloudy background that's being split in half by lightning is aces....Shame about the rest.

tenor.gif

As for it's effect, back in the day Excalibur was a must in any deck that used Warrior-Type monsters, it's Xyz summon requirements of just 2 Level 4 Warrior-Type monsters gave those deck one thing Warrior's always struggled with, high ATK points. Dragons and other monsters always got high ATK beatsticks while warrior usually got stuck with cards under 3000 ATK, Heroic Champion - Excalibur, gave decks like "HERO" and "Six Samurai" the option to run over beatsticks, by detaching the 2 materials beneath Excalibur, he would get his ATK to 4000 until the end of your opponent's next turn, letting you take down whatever big meanie is bothering your monsters and leave a 4000 ATK wall to protect you until your next turn. Very simple, but very effective.

Heroics haven't received much support since the now banned "Number 86: Heroic Champion - Rhongomyniad" and warrior decks like HEROs now have more effective options to run over beatsticks such as "Number S39: Utopia the Lightning", so the use of this card nowadays is uncommon. But back in 2012, this card could really save your ass.

TRIVIA TIME

This card is in the cover of the expansion "Return of the Duelist"

Next Up!
Blue-Morpho-Butterfly-Jewelry-Bead-1.jpg

Cyberninja776

Oct 28, 2017
Are there any other XYZ monsters that have variable summon costs? I plan on doing a XYZ deck of some kind in Link Evolution and Number 86 seems like a decent candidate for my extra deck if allowed.

Photon Papilloperative
OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Photon Papilloperative
Users: Droite / Dextra

Artwork:

Alongside Nistro, there's always Dextra, one of my favorite female characters in ZEXAL, so allow me to talk about my waifu for a bit.

Dextra also works for Dr. Faker, where she's presented as a cold hearted femme fatale ready to serve her boss.
257px-Dextra-MDDG.png

But nothing could be further from the truth, as Dextra is actually a sweet, kind woman underneath her cold expression. She grew up with Nistro and learned to love dueling until they were found by Dr. Faker who enlisted them into his forces, while training with Kaito and Nistro to get their "Photon" cards, she's eventually saved from danger by Kaito, causing her to develop a massive crush on him, which she silently hides out of professionalism. She faces Yuma using her "Butterspy" cards, which are powerful Butterfly shaped female warriors, among her cards there's many useful warrior support like "Blue Mountain Butterspy" which allows warrior decks to quickly get the materials for a Rank 4 Xyz summon such as "Night Papilloperative". Dextra's most well known card is the Rank 4, LIGHT, Warrior-Type Xyz monster "Photon Papilloperative" which we will be discussing today

While Dextra is always presented as a formidable opponent, she unfortunately falls victim to YGO's awful handling of good female characters, while she starts out as an opponent, then turns into an ally, her role quickly becomes that of Vegeta in Dragon Ball, getting defeated by someone to prove how strong they are. It doesn't help that during her duels she only uses the same 6-7 cards over and over..., The worst part is how her crush with Kaito is resolved in yet another instance of ZEXAL referencing to the OG show with the evil Vetrix erasing her memories and feelings for him in the same way Marik Ishtar erased Mai Valentine's memories of Joey.

Still, she kinda pulls through and in later season we see her happily managing Nistro's new job as a luchador-esque star and even joins in on the fun herself, so...Congrats on not being the worst treated character...I guess?

What I like about her is how goddamn elegant she looks while dueling, like c'mon.
yugioh-zexal-dextra-butterspy-deck-slika-89153247.jpg

Her Photon Papilloperative main card has a pretty cool looking design, as a Photon player, I can assure you that most Photon Warrior designs are just big mean robots with blue LEDs attached to them, so it's kind of refreshing to have a Photon card that actually has a face, I dig her dress but I really could do without the giant shoulder pads, her helmet/mask coupled with her weapons gives her an assassin look that really fits her user, but the focus of this card is on her giant butterfly wings, which have a really nice color combination to them, the spacey background gives some needed lightning to her dark wings and overall looks really nice. Still, I can hardly call this design iconic, this card became know due to the short lived popularity of her effect and her usage by the Dextra on the show.

Papilloperative's effect is, like Excalibur, a very simple effect, Papilloperative can tear through your opponent's defenses bysending one of the Xyz materials beneath her to the graveyard, this will allow her to switch your opponent's defensive monster into ATK position, and it will also reduce that card's attack by 600. This card could be used against defensive strategies during the height of the Xyz era, where many Xyz monsters such as "Dante, Traveler of the Burning Abyss" were commonly placed in defense.

The appearance of much better alternatives for Rank 4, the fact that Butterspy's never got any support beyond their 6-7 anime cards, to the point their actual boss card is difficult to summon due to the deck's inconsistency, and the fact that "Photon" cards were supported to hell and back thanks to being the show's main rival's deck made Papilloperative loose steam pretty quickly, but not before it's popularity was enough to warrant a reprint in the Ultimate Rare rarity

TRIVIA TIME!

Dextra only plays 6 duels throughout the entirety of Yu-Gi-Oh! ZEXAL, despite her being quite present through season 1 and having a small role in season 2

Next Up!
Ds81ir3VsAAT1CM.jpg

Number 33: Chronomaly Machu Mech
OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Number 33: Chronomaly Machu Mech
Users: III / Trey

Artwork:

Ever heard of those weird OOParts? Out of place artifacts, as per wikipedia, are artifacts of historical, archaeological, or paleontological interest found in an unusual context, which challenges conventional historical chronology by its presence in that context. Such artifacts may appear "too advanced" for the technology known to have existed at the time, or may suggest human presence at a time before humans are known to have existed. Many famous OOparts like the Nebra Sky Disk, The Crystal Skulls or the Moai statues have always captured our imagination and curiosity

This is III (Known as Trey in the English version)
257px-Trey-MDDG.png

The younger brother of IV and also under the service of his evil father Throne (Known as Vetrix in the english version), III is a kind boy at heart that has a been captivated by the mysteries that pose the OOParts, and as such has modeled his deck to reflect this passion, creating the "Chronomaly" (Chronological Anomaly) Deck, which includes cards such as well...The Nebra Disk, The Crystal Skulls, and The Moai, to name a few.

III actually likes Yuma and Co., but his side on his father's quest for revenge ends placing him against them, III wishes to help his father at all costs, and will use his stronger monster, a Number, to achieve this. This monster is the Rank 5, LIGHT, Machine-Type Xyz Monster "Number 33: Chronomaly Machu Mech"

Machu Mech is supposedly based on the ancient Peruvian City of Machu Picchu, was built high up in the mountains, this is referenced by the card showing a floating city, still the city on top of the machine looks nothing like the actual Machu Picchu, so I'm going to take some points away from the design just from that. Inside the city, you can see a glowing orb, which turns out to be another Chronomaly card! "Number 36: Chronomaly Chateau Huyuk" is powering this mechanical monstrosity, Number 36 is also based on an ancient city "Çatalhöyük", the largest and best-preserved neolithic site found to date. But that's not all, Machu Mech itself also serves as the core of another of another monster "Number 6: Chronomaly Atlandis", obviously based on the fictional lost city of Atlantis. This gigantic golem uses Machu Mech as it's engine located in it's stomach.

This idea of Ancient Cities being turned into Mechanical Monsters forming a freaking MegaZord is so unique that I can't not love it. It's a freaking giant...Made of cities!

In terms of effects, Number 33 is an OTK Machine. By detaching 1 Xyz material from Machu Mech you can select an opponent's monster, if that monster currently has a different ATK value from the one printed on the card, the difference between it's current ATK and the original ATK of the card will be inflicted as direct damage yo your opponent, and THEN Machu Mech will gain ATK equal to the damage inflicted, this means that using cards such as "Gagaga Girl" to bring an opponent's high ATK monster to 0 will result in a one turn kill (OTK) as Machu Mech will inflict damage, and then run over a 0 ATK monster with it's buffed stats.

A really really great combo!

Unfortunately, Link rules and a lack of modern support has made Chronomaly decks very hard to run these days, and while it's definitely usable for fun matches, it won't get you very far....

TRIVIA TIME

My home country's very own OOpart, the Costa Rican Stone Spheres, which no one knows what technique was used by my ancestors to shape them into perfect spheres without modern technology...
250px-Stone_sphere.jpg

...Was featured in the anime as a Chronomaly Card, "Chronomaly Costa Rican Stone Ball"

This card was never printed as a TCG card and I'm VERY salty about it.

Next Up!

Kuriboh Time

Last edited:

Farrac

Nov 3, 2017
Alcalá de Henares, Spain
Iirc there was already a Crystal Skull card in 5D's, wasn't there?

Anyway, I love the inspirations behind the three brothers' archetypes. Dyson Sphere was a freaking awesome card in the anime. Like wow, the size of that thing. I love megastructures and both III and V have them.

Deleted member 8583

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Iirc there was already a Crystal Skull card in 5D's, wasn't there?

Anyway, I love the inspirations behind the three brothers' archetypes. Dyson Sphere was a freaking awesome card in the anime. Like wow, the size of that thing. I love megastructures and both III and V have them.

Yes, the grandpa in the prison had a deck with some of it.

Gen 4 Kuriboh Cards
OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Kurivolt
Users: Yuma Tsukumo

Artwork:

During Yuma's encounter against "Number 34:Terror-Byte", Yuma figures that one strategy against Xyz Monsters is to rob them out of the cards beneath them, making them unable to activate their effects, to achieve this, he uses a Level 1, LIGHT, Thunder-Type Monster "Kurivolt"

Kurivolt's design is pretty fun, it communicates the idea of an electric type variant of Kuriboh, I particularly like the contrast of his black body and red accents, instead of going for the obvious "Electricity" color like yellow or light blue. They leave that for the background which makes the little rascal pop out even more, I'm really a fan of Kurivolt and I think it's one of the better realized Kuriboh variants.

In terms of effect,this high voltage version of our beloved chestnut man is the terror of any Xyz monster. You can remove an Xyz material from a face-up Xyz monster to summon another Kurivolt from your deck, and you have no limits on how much you can use this effect, provided you have enough Kurivolt's to summon from your deck, you can leave an Xyz monster empty while setting up your own Rank 1 Xyz summon of cards such as "Number 54: Lionheart" or "Baby Tiragon"

While this card could've been useful at the height of the Xyz era, YGO's current diverse game environment makes it hard to justify in your deck, what good could he do if you face a Synchro or Link Deck? As such, it's not used at all these days.

Kuriphoton
Users: Kaito Tenjo

Artwork:

Kuriphoton is Kaito's own Kuriboh card, which he only uses once during the entire show to save his and his friend's asses when fighting his father, Dr. Faker.

I'm not fond of Kuriphoton design because it's the lowest effort kind of Photon card, the one where they take a concept and just slap Blue LEDs on it, in this case, Kuriphoton is basically just a buttplug blue Kurivolt, I love it's "light explosion" background though,it looks nice and sells the idea of creatures made out of pure light contained in armor bodies that Photons are supposed to be.

For the game, Kuriphoton is just a Level 1, LIGHT,Fiend-type monster with an effect similar to OG Kuriboh's except better, Kuriphoton will discard itself from your hand and take 2000 of your LP to prevent any further damage this turn. This is a great way to shut down an opponent's OTK or FTK, even if the price might be a bit steep. Kuriphoton can also recycle itself from the graveyard back into your hand in case you feel the need to use this costly shield again.

While this card can absolutely save you from a FTK/OTK focused deck, there's better options, still it's a very viable card for a budget deck.

Rainbow Kuriboh
Users: Yuma Tsukumo

Artwork:

1052163.jpg

The only Kuriboh card to ever be released as a Secret Rare card in a core expansion, the maximum rarity. This card belonged to Kazuma Tsukumo, Yuma's father who lost himself in the Astral World, once Yuma and Astral manage to find Astral's homeworld again, they are challenged by Eliphas, another member of the Astral race. During this duel, Rainbow Kuriboh snuck itself into Yuma's deck and helped him gain the upper hand.

Also known as "Pride Kuriboh" by fans this card has all the colors of the rainbow, and I can't help but feel it is a bit tacky, the design is simple but still a bit hard to follow because of it, in a way, this card works as it's supposed to be a Kuriboh from another dimension, but I cannot shake of the feeling that something is off when looking at it, I can't quite put my finger on what the problem is, I think it has something to do with the angular limbs and horn over it's round body, it just bothers me...

Rainbow Kuriboh was a very rare and sought after card because it's a Kuriboh card that can save you big time. When an opponent's monster declares an attack, Rainbow Kuriboh can attach itself to that monster from your hand as an equip card, which will prevent that monster from attacking as long as Rainbow Kuriboh remains equipped. Also if your opponent declares a direct attack while this card is in your graveyard, this card will special summon itself to the field and tank the attack for you, but it will be banished instead of going back to the graveyard.

Overall a great card and very deserving of being the rarest Kuriboh to be printed, even if later reprints have devalued the card. As for current usage of this card, there are much better options now, so it's not as popular as during the ZEXAL era.

TRIVIA TIME!

Rainbow Kuriboh is the only Kuriboh card that does not have 300 ATK and 200 DEF

That is it for our last hurrah with Generation 4, I loved going back to these cards.

Next Up!

We begin our final Gen 5 reviews with a very controversial card.

358bfde6ed39e1fd69010061c8643a31.png

winstein

Oct 28, 2017
Malaysia
I wouldn't have guessed what this card is until I've read the posts above.

Also, I wonder if Temple of the Kings was covered, since I remembered that you wanted to cover it but the progress of this thread meant that you decided not to cover it any more.

Thank you for reading.

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
OP may not remember me, but here I am, still trying to build my Dark Magician Girl deck.

Why is Apprentice Illusion Magician so expensive. Why.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
OP may not remember me, but here I am, still trying to build my Dark Magician Girl deck.

Why is Apprentice Illusion Magician so expensive. Why.
I built one a a few years ago when the Apple/Lemon/etc. Magician Girl cards came out. I would like to update the deck since I assume pendulum or link monster support has come out for them but I am not sure since I haven't kept up on the game in a couple years.

Performapal Monkeyboard
OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Performapal Monkeyboard
Generation 5: ARC-V
Users: Yuya Sakaki

Artwork:
1087607.jpg

Here we are, the face of a gamebreaking card is that of a circus monkey with a piano for teeth.

I've talked a lot about how Yuya's deck show his inner dilema, with him having cutesy circus animals he focuses on when he wants to entertain his audience with his "Entertainment Dueling" and powerful dragons and magicians he uses when he needs to get shit done. While Yuya loves playing around with his Performapal cards, he also enjoys using the full power of his magicians and dragons to win, making him sometimes feel like a hypocrite with all his big talk about "Dueling for fun".

Well don't worry Yuya, turns out your performapals can also be broken as fuck! Es evidenced by this Level 6, Scale 1, EARTH, Beast-Type Pendulum Monster, Performapal Monkeyboard!

Monkeyboard's design loses me with that big pink background, you might have not noticed before, but Pendulum monsters have a larger frame for the card art, making all that unused space stick out even more. It's just an empty pink space with some stars exploding, it does nothing to make the actual monster look better, I get it's supposed to give this "Ta-dah!" feel, but I'm not feeling it. The actual monkey is really ugly too, with that big head and fixed eyes, the way he puts it's hand over its teeth give me the impression that it's in pain...Maybe the circus took out his real teeth and painfully changed them to keyboards? We may never know, all I know Is that out of all the performapals, Monkeyboard is one of my least favorites, it's not cute, it's not funny and it's certainly not iconic in the show.

Then why review him in a thread dedicated to the most popular cards of this game? Simple, this shit is infamously broken.

Monkeyboard's monster effect lets you discard a card, reveal a "Performapal" or "Odd-Eyes" Monster in your hand to reduce the levels of all monsters in your hand by 1, a really bad, costly effect for a pendulum deck, which as you should know by now if you've been following the thread, are designed to special summon en masse from your hand, regardless of their tributing cost. I guess this effect could help you alter the levels of monsters in your hand so that they qualify for a Pendulum Summon, but it's not something I'd call gamebreaking.

It's Pendulum effect? HO-LEE SHIT. If activated as a spell card Monkeyboard will let you search for any "Performapal" monster from your deck to your hand during your main phase, effectively turning this card into a 1-card set up to get your Pendulum Scales ready for a pendulum summon. It's restriction is that you must have another Performapal card in your other pendulum summon or it's Pendulum Scale value will go up to 4, making it harder to Pendulum summon monsters as the levels of the monsters eligible for a pendulum summon in that scenario must be 5 or higher, but lower than the value in your other Pendulum scale. That restriction meant nothing in a dedicated Performapal deck...Or any deck with Performapals for that matter.

To Ilustrate, I can Activate "Performapal Monkey Board" to fetch this guy on my main phase

Skullcrobat Joker can then be normal summoned to activate it's monster effect, letting me search for

Which then I can activate as a spell in my other pendulum zone, activating it's pendulum effect and letting me draw 1 card.

In this scenario, just by having Monkey on my hand I already have set up a field where I can special summon as many monsters on my hand or extra deck as long as their levels are 2-5, while also having Skullcrobat Joker on the field to use as material for some good old fashioned Xyz or Synchro summons AND getting to draw a card. This example is one of the lower levels of fuckery you could achieve with Monkeyboard,don't get me started on what you can do with it and "Performapal Pendulum Sorcerer" or stuff like this:
PD04.jpg

I have been an ardent defender of Pendulum summon, because unlike other mechanics introduced to the game, it never dominated the meta, in the pendulum era, Xyz, Rituals and Fusion decks all got time to shine. But when Monkeyboard came around, "Performapals" and their brother "Performages" quickly became "PePe", an unstoppable force in tournaments. Thankfully, they got nerfed swiftly, even a bit too much IMO.

Performapal Monkeyboard and Performapal Skullcrobat Joker are now banned from official play.

TRIVIA TIME!

Performapal Monkeyboard was the first Performapal Pendulum Monster with a scale of 1.

Next Up!

Brilliant Fusion
OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Brilliant Fusion
Users: Masumi Kotsu

Artwork:

That's right! I had the time to cook up two reviews for today!

Yu-Gi-Oh! had humanoid gems fusing with each other waaaaaaaay before Steven Universe made it cool. Enter The Gem-Knights!

This Elemental HERO-Like fusion deck debuted in the DUEL TERMINAL sets, much like Trishula, and like her, they have a huge amount of lore in the DT storyline, but it is not until generation 5 that they become the center of attention, when the young heiress of a jewelry company is selected as Yuzu's opponent during the battle between duel schools in ARC-V, this young girl is Masumi Kotsu, and like Yuzu, started out as a fantastic female character by Yu-Gi-Oh standards and one of the few cool POC characters in the franchise.
257px-Julia-LOD.png

Masumi is a confident, prideful rich girl stereotype at first, with the classic "I'm better than you" introduction
tumblr_pmfi0lw9iH1w1tgcgo1_400.gif

Masumi wipes the floor with Yuzu using her Gem-Knight fusions, in a spectacular duel that leaves Yuzu impressed with the concept of fusion summoning, Masumi quickly becomes Yuzu's goal, she starts training and getting better to face her again. As I've mentioned before Yuzu carries the plot of Arc-V's fantastic season 1, and her rivalry with Masumi plays a part in that, as Masumi also starts investigating the weird occurrences in Maiami City, just like Yuzu, she also makes a lot of discoveries that move the plot forward while the main male characters are too busy measuring their dicks in the tournament qualifiers. Masumi and Yuzu learning about the real plot of the series, while also training to build up for their final showdown where they both learn to respect each other as equals is quite frankly one of the reasons I absolutely ADORE Arc-V's first season. It's clear the writers really wanted Yuzu to shine, and earn being the first female character with a "Yu" in her name by giving her a good rivalry with a spoiled rich kid. These two are super fun to watch in season 1.
tumblr_ne2zb4pFNt1shp8ido4_500.gif

Alas, it was not meant to last, as soon as the Interdimensional War starts and our heroes start hoping between dimensions, Masumi is never seen again. You see, in the aftermath of the failed Obelisk Force Invasion attempt, Masumi is left alone as the only survivor among her group of friends, but for some she stays behind in the standard dimension, never to return while Yuzu goes on to become an eternal Damsel in distress... WHAT? WHY!?

It's been said many times that the removal of writing staff from ARC-Vin order to get more hands on the OG movie "Dark Side of Dimensions" really fucked with ARC-V's story, and I feel Masumi is a prime example of that. The last we see of her is her getting inspired by Reiji's speech about fighting against the upcoming invasion, in a way that sets up a return to avenge her friends that never came.... What BS.

Masumi''s most well-known card is her continuous spell card "Brilliant Fusion" as it's an amazing combo enabler.

The card art is your standard fusion spell card with the classic monsters getting combined in a swirl of colors, but this time it's full of gems! The card is looks shiny and expensive, which is a feel that is boosted by it's beautiful secret rare foil, if you can get that rarity version of the card, it's quite a looker.

Now let's talk about the card in action! Normally, to summon Gem-Knight Fusions such as these:

You'd have to fuse the monsters normally with "Polymerization" or the theme specific "Gem-Knight Fusion", but with Brilliant Fusion, you can fuse monsters that are still in your deck! By activating Brilliant Fusion you get to fusion summon a monster by sending it's appropriate materials in your deck to the graveyard, the monster summoned will have it's ATK and DEF points reduced to 0, and if Brilliant Fusion is removed from the field, so will this Fusion Monster. The good news is that you can discard a spell card from your hand to have the monster's stats return to normal, until the end of the turn, making it a great option when you have spell cards that recycle themselves such as "Gem-Knight Fusion".

But this is not the reason why this card is great, notice how the card does NOT negate the effects of the monster you summon! letting you summon a Gem-Knight fusion monster that sets up amazing combos....Gem-Knight Seraphinite!

Gem-Knight Seraphinite effect grants you a second normal summon during your turns. So by having "Brilliant Fusion" and a couple of Gem-Knight cards in your deck + a LIGHT monster, you can special summon a card that lets you normal summon twice, setting up great Link plays as you will have twice the opportunity to activate monster effects that trigger with a normal summon.

This combo is such a great start to a player that "Brilliant Fusion" has been limited to 1 per deck for official play. An amazing card that no doubt sets up lots of powerful turn 1 boards.

While Gem-Knights themselves were never really that popular or good as a standalone deck, their appearance on the show coupled with the popularity of the "Brilliant Fusion Combo" made them well known enough to receive Link support for the newest generation!

And while a pure Gem-Knight deck won't get you very far in a tournament, you should totally check them out if you're a fan of fusions who wishes to have some fun matches.

TRIVIA TIME

There's also an effect-less Gem-Knight Xyz monster, "Gem-Knight Pearl"

Next Up!

Last edited:

Thores

Oct 25, 2017
Gem Knights are pretty cool. It was funny to get into Duel Links after I was already a Steven Universe fan and discover this archetype.

Constellar Pleiades
OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Constellar Pleiades
Users: Hokuto Mishima

Artwork:

1026164.jpg

During the battle between duel schools in early Arc-V, Yuzu must face Masumi, while Yuya faces a member of the LDS Xyz summon class, Hokuto Mishima (Known as Dipper in the english version) challenges Yuya

latest

I wish I could talk about Hokuto as much as I did with Masumi, but unfortunately he's just the stereotypical "Kid from the high class school" that gets defeated and then never gets to do much else. Masumi inspires Yuzu to learn fusion summon and they develop a rivalry, while the third in the group, Yaiba, ends up respecting his opponent Gongenzaka and helps him master Synchro summon later on. Hokuto just loses and is given so little to do that it makes perfect sense when he becomes one of the first victims of the Interdimensional Invaders...

Hokuto fights with his "Constellar" cards, which are powerful knights wearing armor that represents different constellations....Knights of the Zodiac if you will. These cards also appeared in the "Duel Terminal" sets but saw their anime debut until Gen 5

As you might have notices, these cards are pretty much designed to let you Xyz summon with 2 level 5 monsters in 1 turn, getting you Hokuto's ace card. A Rank 5, LIGHT, Warrior Type Xyz Monster. "Constellar Pleiades"

Pleiades has a fantastic design that reminds me of the awe inspiring Gold Saints from Saint Seiya, it's a caped knight in a shining white armor with some awesome looking gold details and it's cape is decorated with a cool "Stars in space" design that brings everything together, the background is full of stars in case you missed that this card is based on a constellation. It's a bit much but I can't think of any other way. These is by far one of my favorite monster designs and themes and I'm glad I was able to squeeze them into these reviews. 9/10 designs and concepts.

Pleiades has a very simple but very deadly effect, during either player's turn you can detach one of the Xyz materials beneath it it return one card on the field back to the hand, you can use it during your turn to remove that suspicious face down card that you just know its a powerful trap that will trigger as soon as you attack, or you can use it during your opponent's turn to waste that normal summon they just used on a key monster, maybe even return a powerful monster summoned from the Extra Deck straight back to it. It's simple, but it gives you a good amount of control over the field, even if you only have 2 shots at its effect. But if your Pleiades runs out of fuel, you can just upgrade him for one more shot!

"Constellar Ptolemy M7" is normally summoned with 2 level 6 monsters, but it's text states that you can also Xyz summon it by putting it on top of a "Constellar" Xyz monster on the field. Constellar Ptolemy M7 not only has higher stats, but it's effect allows it to return a monster on the field or the graveyard to the hand by detaching 1 of the cards beneath it. Really cool upgrade for Pleiades!

While "Constellars" were never a tournament ready deck, they were the inspiration for a new deck named "Tellarknight", where the Satellarknights joined forced to bring out powerful Xyz Monsters

This deck and its Xyz monsters dominated the meta game of gen 5 foa little while, with some of it's strongest cards getting limited.

Unfortunately they did little to help good old "Constellars" which have remained support-less for a while.

TRIVIA TIME

In Duel Terminal Lore, Constellars have their own symbol they identify with and they all have it in their armor
latest

Next Up!

wall-of-text.png.aspx

Last edited:
Astrograph Sorcerer
OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Astrograph Sorcerer
Users: Zarc

Artwork:

At the end of ARC-V Yuya's true self, the combination of his 4 alter ego's is awakened, the evil duelist Zarc. Who was ultimately defeated by his lover and split into 4 different alter ego's each sent to live a new life on the separated 4 duel dimensions until the interdimensional war forced them back into contact.

I already talked about him in my "Supreme King Z-ARC" review, but just to jog your memory a bit, Yuya's true self was a kind duelist with a desire to entertain an audience with his duels, his deck used what would become the 4 Dimensional Dragons and also included powerful spellcasters, Zarc becomes more and more evil due to the demands of his blood thirsty audience, who wanted him to put an increasingly violent show every time, making him go mad and allowing the dragons in his deck to take control of him. Being a genius duelist, Zarc is the person who co-created pendulum summoning, after being overrun by evil, he designed a spellcaster card that would be powerful enough to allow him to become one with his dragons. A level 7, Scale 1, DARK, Spellcaster-Type Pendulum Monster "Astrograph Sorcerer"! the original combined form of Yuya's "Gazer" Magicians!

Once Yuya fully awakens as Zarc, he takes on a dragonic appearance, and is now able to summon this card to bring his true fully Dragon self back.

I LOVE Astrograph's design, it's the coolest Magician in the game for me, get rekt Dark Magician. He looks so incredibly majestic and otherworldly with that combination of blue tones in both the creature's design and background. The way all these elements come together: explosive background, the silver sci-fi looking armor,the stars in his cape, the hologram looking weapons in his left hand, his right hand raised as if it's about to use his immense power, and his Dr. Manhattan-like blank stare make me feel like I'm looking at a godly being, one whose decisions and powers are beyond my understanding. I'm amazed at how good this card looks with all that blue. 10/10 design for me. I really love this card.

As for the effect....

FrailDarkEidolonhelvum-size_restricted.gif

LOOK AT ALL THAT TEXT. This is the card currently holds the record of the YGO card with the longest card text, clocking in at 836 characters when combining it's monster and pendulum effects. This card has so many effects that it's going to be hard to explain why it's so freaking broken.

Let's start with it's Pendulum Effect, If activated as a spell, you can destroy this card, and if you do, take 1 "Stargazer Magician" from your hand or Deck, and either place it in your Pendulum Zone or Special Summon it. This effect fills your extra deck with a powerful 2500 ATK monster (As pendulums go to the extra deck when destroyed) and leaves you with half of the work required to pendulum summon him to the field by leaving good ol' "Stargazer" in the pendulum zone with a versatile scale of 1 OR it leaves a nice "Stargazer" defense on your monster zone. That is a great effect on itself, but it's not the reason this card is broken.

It's the monster effect. First let's get his anime effect out of the way, You can banish this card you control, plus 4 monsters from your hand, field, and/or Graveyard (1 each with "Pendulum Dragon", "Xyz Dragon", "Synchro Dragon", and "Fusion Dragon" in their names) and Special Summon 1 "Supreme King Z-ARC" from your Extra Deck, this summon will be treated as a fusion summon. And while summoning a card as good as Z-ARC with ease is very powerful, it is not the reason why this card is as OP as it is, it's just a bonus.

The real broken shit is with it's third and last effect. If a card you control is destroyed by battle or card effect, You can Special Summon this card from your hand, and then you can choose 1 monster in the Graveyard, Extra Deck, or that is banished, and that was destroyed this turn, and add 1 monster with the same name from your Deck to your hand.

That is just NUTS, you get a free 2500 ATK beater and get to recover whatever card you just lost. And it gets even better!

Astrograph Sorcerer is meant to be used with the magicians the fans call the 4 Dimensional Magicians which do not appear in the anime.

These cards not only count as acceptable cards to trigger Astrograph's Z-ARC summoning effect, they also can destroy themselves to activate powerful effects, like halving opponent's monsters, destroying cards on the field or in Double Iris's case, searching for extremely powerful spells and traps. And get this, as soon as they destroy themselves, Astrogaph's effect triggers, letting you special summon it, and grap a copy of the magician you just lost. INSANE.

These cards became the "Pendulum Magician" Deck, the best Pendulum Deck ever created, and a deck that dominated the very last days of the pendulum era. And while the Link Era made it harder for them to keep spamming special summons, they still managed to remain at the top for a while.

This came to an end when "Astrograph Sorcerer" himself and "Double Iris Magician" where banned from competitive play, but this deck remains so good and consistent that it keeps appearing in tournaments every now and then, yes even with it's stronget cards banned and the Link era rules limiting summons, this deck is still very viable. That's how good it is.

TRIVIA TIME!
This card alongside the rest of the powerful Pendulum Magicians, where all released in a single set "Pendulum Evolution" which includes only cards to use in a Pendulum deck, if you want a strong and cheap deck, look no further than grabbing a couple of these:
61TgHbcu8ZL.jpg

Next Up!

Kuriboh Time!

Last edited:
Performapal Kuriborder
OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Performapal Kuriborder
Users: Yuya Sakaki (Manga)

Artwork:

When an opponent's monster declares an attack: Special Summon this card from your hand, then change the attack target to this card and proceed to damage calculation. If you would take damage from that battle, you gain that much LP instead.

When the Arc-V manga is not busy turning it's entire last chapter into the fandom's punching bag by suddenly revealing Yuzu was Yuya's mother from the past all along who he still hits on despite being fully aware of that fact, but turns her down at the last minute so she just takes Yuya's father of the past as rebound because he reminds her of her beloved Yuya.....Yeeeeeesh..... The manga rights some wrongs by giving Yuya his own Kuriboh card! A level 1, DARK, Fiend-Type Monster "Performapal Kuriborder!!"

I really like our little jester Kuriboh design, it's just our beloved little furball getting a tail and a hat, awwwww he looks so adorable and fluffy...
c732z.gif

Anyways, Kuriborder is a "handtrap" like most Kuriboh cards, whenever an opponent's monster declares an attack you can special summon it from your hand and have it tank the attack, any damage taken by that battle will heal your LP instead. It's pretty much a better version of the OG Kuriboh in every way, but sadly it's not enough to justify being in your deck, not even a performapal deck, as there are far better options.

This is a short review as there is very little to talk about this card, it barely has any presence in the manga, and it never appears in the anime.

Trivia Time!

"Border" is a homophone for "Bourder", an old word for "Jester"

GENERATION 5 is DONE! Say bye bye to Pendulums as we covered them for the last time.

Next Up!

8a7234bd8d52f1288345218a6941f1acd78eb25f_00.gif

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
It feels good that Kuriboh stayed relevant in some way. Although, that Yuya/Yuzu factoid brings back nightmares.

And it weirdly is not even the third time I've seen that plotline in Japanese media.

Mario Bilo

trying to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Jan 7, 2018
Which generation does Sphere Kuriboh come from?

Also not sure if you already covered them, but what about Performages from Dennis?

Cyberse Quantum Dragon
OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Cyberse Quantum Dragon
Generation 6: VRAINS
Users: Yusaku Fujiki (a.k.a Playmaker)

Artwork:

Previously on every single episode of VRAINS...
unknown.png

Yusaku is facing the evil Bohman, a third generation AI created by the evil first generation Ignis AI of Lightning to use as an artificial body for all Ignis . Yusaku and his friendly Ignis AI of Darkness "Ai" must find a way to defeat Bohman as he is the final boss of the arc....And they do, several times in fact, all of them before the final clash against him. And this is the main problem with VRAINS, Yusaku simply never, ever loses. Not even with the newly established main threat of the second arc, he just wins no matter how much that would devalue the new villain that is going to be presented as a big challenge going forward...

Anyways, during one of their clashes with Bohman, Yusaku claims to have found a new possibility in his duels. Instead of stopping him with the game ending effect he has ready, this hyper advanced AI decides that it is best to wait and see what is this new power Yusaku got instead of simply defeating him before he can summon it.

Turns out that just lets Yusaku nab yet another win...By using a new Link Monster "Cyberse Wicckid"

To let him summon a....Tuner Monster! That's right, we're still in VRAINS second arc which means the apology mode for trying to fuck with all other extra deck summons is in full force, so Yusaku pulls a Tuner monster despite no previous indications of them ever existing in this universe. He uses this card to summon a Level 7, DARK, Cyberse-Type Synchro Monster....Cyberse Quantum Dragon!!

Cyberse Quantum Dragon looks an awful lot like "Cyberse Clock Dragon" which was the fusion introduced before as part of the apology tour, which means it's another dragon with a body full of crystal, the design of the dragon itself I feel tries to take too much from "Shooting Star Dragon" with the whole "Dragon that looks like a spaceship" design but this one takes it to the extreme, as I feel this creature is actually wearing parts of a spaceship, it looks goofy.

I really dislike the face on this Dragon because for some reason they decided to cover it in horns that make it look like it's wearing a mask, I hate it. On a more positive note, I like the blue colored crystal body and the "high speed" feel on the background. Very 5D's. Oh but it calls itself a Dragon despite it being Cyberse-Type. 0/10

After you use a Tuner Monster and a non-tuner monster whose levels add 7 as materials you'll unleash this powerful card through Synchro Summon. As most of the cards in the apology tour, this card's effect just scream "SEE!? You can totally still use Synchros despite the new rules making the whole game revolve around Links!" because the entire effects of this Synchro monster revolves around you playing with Links...As you were forced to by the new rules...yay. Cyberse Quantum Dragon will protect you from attacks and effects by becoming the only attack target your opponent can select....if you control a link monster.

However Quantum Dragon's actual value comes from it's second effect, the one that is not busy pushing links. Once per turn if this card battles an opponent's monster, you can return that opponent's monster to the hand and this card will be able to attack again. Meaning that much like "Black Luster Soldier Envoy of the Beginning" back in the day this card will get rid of a monster easily and then will proceed to take on another or go for direct damage....That is pretty great!

Cyberse Quantum Dragon is a popular Synchro monster in modern times, as it protects your oh so important Link monster while also dishing some damage, it's easy to summon and has some nice stats so it's a good card to take into consideration if your deck can access Synchro Summon.

TRIVIA TIME!!
This card's name is a reference to quantum computing,the use of quantum-mechanical phenomena such as superposition and entanglement to perform computation which can be implemented theoretically or physically.
1*pjDx_psU07k-1xaU2Sp10Q.png

Next Up!

Last edited:

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
Want to buy 3x Ash Blossom & Joyous Spring. Don't ask me why.

I truly admire your dedication, OP. You got me to build my -still working on it- Dark Magician Girl deck.

Please do Borrelsword Dragon at some point. The amount of times I have seen this card summoned against my puny and incomplete deck has left a scar in me.

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
*kicks down door*

Yo, so VRAINS is ending... honestly looking forward to the new series.

More like it was put out of it's misery. Shortest series ever, no manga adaptation and the first one that brings the anime into a hiatus, we're going to be around 6-7 months before Gen 7 starts airing.

At this point it's clear this whole anime was a low point for the franchise

Want to buy 3x Ash Blossom & Joyous Spring. Don't ask me why.

I truly admire your dedication, OP. You got me to build my -still working on it- Dark Magician Girl deck.

Please do Borrelsword Dragon at some point. The amount of times I have seen this card summoned against my puny and incomplete deck has left a scar in me.

Considering that Gen 6 is ending with a wimper, I will do a bit more cards for it as a sort of "celebration" of it.

Last edited:

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I was about to say we know nothing about the next series and I thought VRAINS just started a new Arc.

Guess they're gonna course correct hard with the new series.

Cyberninja776

Oct 28, 2017
More like it was put out of it's misery. Shortest series ever, no manga adaptation and the first one that brings the anime into a hiatus, we're going to be around 6-7 months before Gen 7 starts airing.

At this point it's clear this whole anime was a low point for the franchise

Considering that Gen 6 is ending with a wimper, I will do a bit more cards for it as a sort of "celebration" of it.

Honestly can't even think about what more they could do with the anime, I feel there was a point a long time ago things could have been expanded upon but long since past it. If I want to read the manga in the hiatus all of them are good minus one certain chapter of Arc V right?

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Honestly can't even think about what more they could do with the anime, I feel there was a point a long time ago things could have been expanded upon but long since past it. If I want to read the manga in the hiatus all of them are good minus one certain chapter of Arc V right?

I wouldn't say "Good"

GX is God tier
5D's and ZEXAL are unremarkable, just ok I guess
ARC V was ok until it decides to go full Oreimo at the very end

Thores

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if the anime team's takeaway is going to be "VRAINS was too different from original Yu-Gi-Oh" and that Series 7 is going to be another ZEXAL situation.

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I wonder if the anime team's takeaway is going to be "VRAINS was too different from original Yu-Gi-Oh" and that Series 7 is going to be another ZEXAL situation.

As long as they keep their veto on ancient Magic, and keep Yoshida and his hard on for doing the high tech scifi stuff, series like VRAINS will keep happening.

Firewall eXceed Dragon
OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Firewall eXceed Dragon
Users: Yusaku Fujiki (a.k.a Playmaker)

Artwork:

We continue Gen 6's "Sorry we tried to fuck over all the other summon types to force links into relevance" apology tour!

An evil Go-Onizuka who went through *Checks Notes* Surgery to have a cyborg brain capable of computing at AI levels of speed in order to play card games better....Challenges Yusaku,as he felt Playmaker completely overshadowed him to the point where turning into a monster was the only way to truly defeat him.

Evil Go has the power to cancel the activation of Skills, meaning that for once in the entire show....Yusaku CANNOT activate the power that gives him a new Cyberse monster whenever he is 1000 LP or less, as the activation is negated....Except Yusaku is the biggest Gary to ever Stu in this franchise so OF COURSE his skill has a second part he never mentioned before, if his LP is 100 or less and the effect of the skill did not get him a new card for whatever reason....He gets to get the new card anyway and draw a card. Such tension. Such Stakes.

This is why this show got canned.

Anyways, he gets his new card but before using it he must set it up with a Link monster, as is the law of modern Gen 6 YGO. So he uses "Clock Lizard"

To open space in his field for a summon type he just remembered he knew how to do all along and just forgot to mention it existed for 80+ Episodes. Xyz Summon. He uses his freshly asspulled Rank 4, DARK, Cyberse-Type Xyz Monster "Firewall eXceed Dragon"

That's right he gets an upgraded version of his "Ace" card that he just uses like 4 times through the entire show. A card that by the time of the episode airing was banned.

Firewall eXceed Dragon is just the lovechild of the already reviewed Firewall Dragon and an X-Wing Starfighter. There's not much to say about the design that I didn't say already for Firewall Dragon, but I'll once again state how much I hate the "Tron" aesthetic on most of Yusaku's cards. At the very least, Firewall eXceed has a pretty boss looking pose, with a killer background that really puts focus on the flaming wings forming an "X". The head of the dragon also being an X is kind of overkill though....We get it, the letter X is cool. Was this card designed by Xehanort or something?
UnacceptableEmotionalBandicoot-size_restricted.gif

Firewall eXceed's effects once again try to tell us "You can still totally play Xyz monsters guys! we're sorry! Just ignore the fact that this card is useful only because it's entire effect revolves around the Link monsters we forced you to use via rule change!". This card will gain 500 ATK times the link rating of any Link monster pointing at it. That means, 500 per the number of arrows of any Link monster pointing at it. Since you're always going to be using Xyz monster linked to a Link monster, that makes this card a really good beater, as it will pass the 3500+ ATK mark easily. But it's greater effect comes at the cost of detaching the 2 cards beneath it, allowing you to summon a LINK-4 Cyberse-Type Link monster from your graveyard in a position that points at this card...This effect is clearly meant to be used on "Firewall Dragon" which has the perfect arrow placement to ensure that you always get the most out of that revival....And now that card is banned and all other LINK-4 cyberses are either banned or they suck, there's probably a billion better options to use. The fact that using this effect prevents you from special summoning or attacking directly makes it even lamer.

But hey, at least Gen 6 was kind enough to remember Xyz monster exist right? With VRAINS ending next week, it appears Pendulums will not be featured at all in the show.

TRIVIA TIME!
This card is the cover of the expansion "Dark Neostorm"
latest

Next Up!
giphy.gif

Last edited:

Mario Bilo

trying to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Jan 7, 2018
Is Vrains actually confirmed to be ending? What's the episode count?

Marincess Marbled Rock
OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Marincess Marbled Rock
Users: Aoi Zaizen (a.k.a Blue Angel/Blue Girl/ Blue Maiden)

Artwork:

When Aoi Zaizen found that she wasn't happy with herself she became "Blue Angel" to be a beloved idol in the virtual world, when Blue Angel was mind controlled, infected with a virus, put in a coma, got better and fought with the good guys only to have her face get up close and personal to the ground she decided it was time to grow up and train under Ghostgirl to become a better duelist and someone who can actively help the male heroes in their quest...She leaves the idol persona and becomes "Blue Girl" and now it's her time to actually shine! So she decides to fight one of the male heroes!....And she loses so bad she removes herself from the story and decides to do some detective work instead of fighting...

And when that detective work makes her find the Ignis AI of Water, she can now finally become a main character! Now she has a super duper AI as her friend that transforms her from "Blue Girl" into "Blue Maiden"!
blue_maiden.png

This now adult looking warrior is ready to take on anything now! For real! She even has a new deck! Forget the "Trickstars", she now has a Cyberse deck just like the main characters! She uses the incredibly powerful "Marincess" Deck! This is it! She's facing Bohman now! That's the Big Bad of the season Yusaku has defeated like 4 times already! This is her time to sh-

GOD FUCKING DAMMIT.

Anyways, the Marincess deck features several undersea creatures turned into either waifus or moeblobs

The main monster of the is a LINK-3, Water, Cyberse-Type Link monster "Marincess Marbled Rock"!

The design on Marbled Rock is the best out of all the Marincess, as it looks like an actual underwater warrior princess and not some ripoff of Ika Musume from SquidGirl. I love how the armor is a reference to actual rockfish and has an elegant look to it that not once gets into raunchy territory like many other "Waifu" archetypes do. While the card foil makes it hard to make out, the background does show this Marincess at the bottom of the sea, instead of the typical blast for a background that most YGO cards get, overall a really nice looking card and one of my favorite designs of Gen 6. It helps that she's not wearing a TRON suit.

Marincess want you to swarm the field, make links and then swarm the field with those links, Marbled Rock makes sure to help you with that. First it has an arrow placement that makes sure that you always unlock a zone for Extra Deck Summons no matter where you place her, as soon as you Link summon her with 2 or more WATER monsters with ratings that add up to to her 3 arrows you'll get to add a Marincess card from your GY and add it to your hand, which means you recover one of the materials used for her Link Summon, and many of them such as "Marincess Sea Horse" can be special summoned with ease to the field to continue the swarm. Marbled Rock can also protect your monsters and LP from battles at the cost of sending one Marincess from your hand to the grave, which is easy to do given her first effect. Overall a nice little card.

Marincess may be a somewhat expensive deck that's not very competitive, but it's good fun, give it a try!!

TRIVIA TIME!
This card makes a cameo in the art of "Marincess Battle Ocean"

Next Up!

latest

Last edited:

Thores

Oct 25, 2017
Marincess Marbled Rock
Users: Aoi Zaizen (a.k.a Blue Angel/Blue Girl/ Blue Maiden)

Artwork:

When Aoi Zaizen found that she wasn't happy with herself she became "Blue Angel" to be a beloved idol in the virtual world when Blue Angel was mind controlled, infected with a virus, put in a coma, got better, fought with the good guys only to have her face get up close and personal to the ground she decides it's time to grow up and train under Ghostgirl to become a better duelist and someone who can actively help the male heroes in their quest...She leaves the idol persona and becomes "Blue Girl" and now it's her time to actually shine! So she decides to fight one of the male heroes!....And she loses so bad she removes herself from the story and decides to do some detecive work instead of fighting...

And when that detective work makes her find the Ignis AI of Water, she can now finally become a main character! Now she has a super duper AI as her friend that transforms her from "Blue Girl" into "Blue Maiden"!
blue_maiden.png

This now adult looking warrior is to take on anything now! For real! She even has a new deck! Forget the trickstars, she now has a Cyberse deck just like the main characters! She uses the incredibly powerful "Marincess" Deck! This is it! She's facing Bohman now! That's the Big Bad of the season Yusaku has defeated like 4 times already! This is her time to sh-

GOD FUCKING DAMMIT.

Anyways, the Marincess deck features several undersea creatures turned into either waifus or moeblobs

The main monster of the is a LINK-3, Water, Cyberse-Type Link monster "Marincess Marbled Rock"!

The design on Marbled Rock is the best out of all the Marincess, as it looks like an actual underwater warrior princess and not some ripoff of Ika Musume from SquidGirl. I love how the armor is a reference to actual rockfish and has an elegant look to it that not once gets into raunchy territory like many other "Waifu" archetypes do. While the card foil makes it hard to make out, the background does show this Marincess at the bottom of the sea, instead of the typical blast for a background that most YGO cards get, overall a really nice looking card and one of my favorite designs of Gen 6. It helps that she's not wearing a TRON suit.

Marincess want you to swarm the field, make links and then swarm the field with those links, Marbled Rock makes sure to help you with that. First it has an arrow placement that makes sure that you always unlock a zone for Extra Deck Summons no matter where you place her, as soon as you Link summon her with 2 or more WATER monsters with ratings that add up to to her 3 arrows you'll get to add a Marincess card from your GY and add it to your hand, which means you recover one of the materials used for her Link Summon, and many of them such as "Marincess Sea Horse" can be special summoned with ease to the field to continue the swarm. Marbled Rock can also protect your monsters and LP from battles at the cost of sending one Marincess from your hand to the grave, which is easy to do given her first effect. Overall a nice little card.

Marincess may be a somewhat expensive deck that's not very competitive, but it's good fun, give it a try!!

TRIVIA TIME!
This card makes a cameo in the art of "Marincess Battle Ocean"

Next Up!

latest

Well... look on the bright side. It'll be difficult for the MC of the next series to be treated much worse.