• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Since this thread is tied pretty closely to the anime I think this question is appropriate here:

I've been rewatching the original Yugioh series, and I was wondering if I should skip the three(?) filler arcs. In the early 2000s I only watched up to the end of Battle City and some episodes here and there from the final two seasons, so that will mostly be new to me. During this current rewatch I skipped the filler arc in the middle of Battle City because I just wanted to get back to BC but should I go back to it? What about the first arc of season 4, with the proto-5Ds motorcyclists?

Last edited:

Thuddert

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Since this thread is tied pretty closely to the anime I think this question is appropriate here:

I've been rewatching the original Yugioh series, and I was wondering if I should skip the three(?) filler arcs. In the early 2000s I only watched up to the end of Battle City and some episodes here and there from the final two seasons, so that will mostly be new to me. During this current rewatch I skipped the filler arc in the middle of Battle City because I just wanted to get back to BC but should I go back to it? What about the first arc of season 4, with the proto-5Ds motorcyclists?

There's some really dumb good shit in the fillers.

Like Joey getting in a battle suit for a fist fight duel.

Cyberninja776

Oct 28, 2017

I suppose it would depend entirely on if you like the characters or not, if you just want more Yugioh to watch. I personally liked the filler but if you are in a rush I'd just move on to GX.

Mario Bilo

trying to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Jan 7, 2018
I suppose it would depend entirely on if you like the characters or not, if you just want more Yugioh to watch. I personally liked the filler but if you are in a rush I'd just move on to GX.
I'd say most of the original filler is still leaps and bounds above GX which is literally composed of entirely filler until at least season 2

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
Amazing thread until the end! Got me back into the card game like some others here. Thank you a lot for the work you have put into this, Fj0823. If anyone wants to duel my flaming hot deck on YGOPro, shoot me a PM.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
There's some really dumb good shit in the fillers.

Like Joey getting in a battle suit for a fist fight duel.
Thank you both. I'm gonna watch all the filler of the original series. I really like all the characters. I wasn't planning on watching GX or anything after that. I never watched anything after the original series. I was just turned off (and still kinda am) by the idea of Yugi and friends not being involved anymore.

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Thank you both. I'm gonna watch all the filler of the original series. I really like all the characters. I wasn't planning on watching GX or anything after that. I never watched anything after the original series. I was just turned off (and still kinda am) by the idea of Yugi and friends not being involved anymore.

DM->GX->5D's are considered "The Original Trilogy" because they share continuity.

Yugi cameos in both shows

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Haven't keep up with this as I forgot add it in my watch list, but still great job and your reviews were a great read and has actually started my return back to Yugioh. Currently fixing my Monarch deck while also building a DM/DMG deck.

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Hello!

Remember when I said that I might do some reviews for special occasions?

Well it's October! And not only it's the month I was born but it's also the month of spoooooky stuff. And with a game so full of creepy monsters I think doing a Halloween Special just makes too much sense.

So, I have selected 3 spoooooky cards to talk about until Halloween. 1 each week. On Halloween day I'll review what I think it's the Halloweeniest card to ever Halloween.

These cards are not necessarily anime cards! So you'll get to meet some very cool and very spooky TCG only cards.

So without further ado.

Pumpking the King of Ghosts
Generation 1: Duel Monsters
User: Bonz
Artwork:

During their stay at Duelist Kingdom, the gang find themselves facing a group of thugs ready to take their starchips, among them there's Bonz, a creepy kid obsessed with Zombies.

Bonz faces Joey Wheeler in a Duel where he shows off his unkillable Zombie monsters, among them, his ace card is a Level 6, DARK, Zombie Monster, Pumpking!

Pumpking's artwork gives you exactly what the name suggests, it's a pumpkin that's also a king, why it even has a little crown! I know that the creepy eye fixed on the player is supposed to be creepy but all I get from the artwork is a dorky pumpkin. Just look at that smile! It's just a really fun design. Background is fine but it's another example of the monster taking too much of the card frame to let the background do its job.

Pumpking is a card from the "Metal Raiders" Expansion, back when the game was still trying to find its footing in terms of gameplay, as such, this card has a perplexing cost for an incredibly limited and situational effect. This card must be tribute summoned meaning that putting it on the field will cost you 1 of your monsters. Pumpkin hits the field with a mediocre 1800/2000 ATK/DEF stats and a baffling effect.

If "Castle of Dark Illusions" is on the field
1156220.jpg

(JDC who approved those stats numbers!?) Pumpkin will gain 100 ATK/DEF points and will continue to do so until the 4th Standby Phase after activation. This is intended to combo with the castle's effect of increasing all Zombie types by 200 until the 4th standby phase too. But that means that I'm order to make the best out of this combo you have to summon them together. And since this card was introduced 12+ years before Pendulum Summoning that's no easy task.

Plus, you just know your opponent will just USE CATAPULT TURTLE TO FIRE GAIA THE DRAGON CHAMPION INTO THE CASTLE'S FLOTATION RING CAUSING IT TO CRUMBLE AND FALL OVER ALL YOUR MONSTERS, causing you to lose so... Why bother with this card?

No support for Pumpking exists.

Tune in next week for another spoooooky card!

Last edited:

zawardo

Sep 24, 2019
Pumpking had a daughter! Pumprincess!
latest

She's unironically better than him. In Duel Links she was a decent option early in the game's life.

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Well even the Dark Magician is getting his Halloween costume by finally fusing with Red-Eyes B. Dragon.

FB_IMG_1571152134506.jpg

Dragoon of Red-Eyes
DARK/Spellcaster - Fusion - Effect/8/3000/2500
"Dark Magician" + "Red-Eyes B. Dragon" or 1 Dragon Effect Monster
Neither player can target this card with effects, also it cannot be destroyed by card effects.
During your Main Phase: You can destroy 1 monster your opponent controls, and if you do, inflict damage to your opponent equal to its original ATK. You can use this effect a number of times per turn, up to the number of Normal Monsters used as Fusion Material for this card's Summon.
Once per turn, when a card or effect is activated (Quick Effect): You can discard 1 card; negate the activation, and if you do, destroy that card, and if you do that, this card gains 1000 ATK

Azure J

Oct 25, 2017
That "destroy (banish) monster then subtract their attack stat from LPs" effect is the kind of thing I wanted on a MoBC/DMoC retrain. lmfao

Last edited:

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well even the Dark Magician is getting his Halloween costume by finally fusing with Red-Eyes B. Dragon.

FB_IMG_1571152134506.jpg
Worth also noting that it synergizes ridiculously well with another recently announced OCG card from a different set, the new predaplant link (which is also insane and will almost certainly see competitive use and could very well hit the ban list at some point).
The link in question for those curious
It's also insane for the new Dark Magician Red Eyes Fusion in particular because it can dump red eyes fusion to summon this card without having to worry about the restriction Red Eyes Fusion normally has of being the only summon that turn. So while you still need to end your turn with the summon, you can summon a bunch of other monsters (including the predaplant link of course) before and then use it at the end. It can also copy Super Poly, albeit without the benefit of being impossible to negate

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Worth also noting that it synergizes ridiculously well with another recently announced OCG card from a different set, the new predaplant link (which is also insane and will almost certainly see competitive use and could very well hit the ban list at some point).
The link in question for those curious
It's also insane for the new Dark Magician Red Eyes Fusion in particular because it can dump red eyes fusion to summon this card without having to worry about the restriction Red Eyes Fusion normally has of being the only summon that turn. So while you still need to end your turn with the summon, you can summon a bunch of other monsters (including the predaplant link of course) before and then use it at the end. It can also copy Super Poly, albeit without the benefit of being impossible to negate

Stop. Or I'll end up reviewing all these new protagonist support cards when they come out in January.

ShadySpottedBrownbear-size_restricted.gif

Also I wonder what the other mashups in that expansion are. Yugi and Joey got "Dragoon of Red-Eyes". Jaden and Yubel got "Neos Kiegler", and Yusei and Bruno got "Shooting Star Dragon- Expansion T.G."

Maybe GaGaGalaxy-Eyes? D/D/D Performapal?

Last edited:

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Stop. Or I'll end up reviewing all these new protagonist support cards when they come out in January.

ShadySpottedBrownbear-size_restricted.gif
I just think this particular combo is pretty absurd. Like, it might actually be used in meta decks that can afford two garnets (Dark Magician and Red Eyes Fusion) and happen to have at least one effect dragon monster (which is super easy to do, there are tons of really good generic effect dragons (Including the very competitive hand trap Phantazmay) since you can turn any two effect monsters on the field into the predaplant link and use its effect to copy Red Eyes Fusion and summon Dragon of Red Eyes, which is an omni negate with a great protection effect and the ability to pop monsters on your turn. Like, most of the new support from the legendary duelist pack (which neither of these two cards are actually from) is honestly not that great from what I've seen, but these two are fantastic

zawardo

Sep 24, 2019
Also I wonder what the other mashups in that expansion are. Yugi and Joey got "Dragoon of Red-Eyes". Jaden and Yubel got "Neos Kiegler", and Yusei and Bruno got "Shooting Star Dragon- Expansion T.G."

Maybe GaGaGalaxy-Eyes? D/D/D Performapal?
The theme seems to be allies more than rivals so I'm hoping for a Sharktopia and I've seen a Superheavy Performapals or a more likely Performageperformapal.

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I decided to do this one a little earlier than expected, because my next week is PACKED and because I totally forgot about 1 extra card that totally deserves a spot, so, our next spooooky card is.....!!

Ghostrick Witch
Generation 4: ZEXAL
User: None
Artwork:

You just can't have a Yu-Gi-Oh! Halloween without the Ghostrick cards! These little creatures are the embodiments of Halloween! While I chose "Ghostrick Witch" as the face of the archetype (mostly because I heavily associate witches with Halloween) this review will cover all about this incredible monsters!

As you can see, Witch and her friends are adorable, light hearted versions of many Halloween all-stars like ghosts, jack-o-lanterns, frankenstein, werewolves and mummies. They even include some well known urban tales such as Bloody Mary, and add a sprinkle of spooky Japanese and Chinese Folklore to make this Halloween Deck simply perfect.

In terms of design, Witch stands out as my all time favorite, but to be honest, they're all bloody brilliant. They all have this innocence injected into otherwise creepy and unnerving creatures that makes them feel unique, like I'm watching characters from a Halloween cartoon from back when I was a kid. This is the kind of fantastic card design that TCG exclusive cards can reach by not having to be the face of marketing, allowing the designers to have fun and in turn give us one fantastic set of monsters to collect. One thing that I'd like to point out is that all these cards share a common, beautiful background, which sets them apart from the usual "Generic Explosion background" seen in most anime based cards and makes the whole deck feel cohesive. 10/10 designs for me.

In terms of gameplay, Ghostricks are the masters of jump scares! They just love scaring so much that they must enter the field hidden. That"s why all of them state " "Cannot be Normal Summoned, unless you control a "Ghostrick" monster. Once per turn: You can change this card to face-down Defense Position". meaning that you must set them in face down defense position. Ghostrick effects usually work around setting cards face down and they are heavily tied to their level;

Level 1 Ghostricks usually scare your opponent right from the hand, just like "Specter" above, who will enter the field face down from your hand if your opponent destroys another monster.

Level 2 Ghostricks stall by setting your opponent's cards face down, making them unusable for effects or summons, just like our cute little Witch

Level 3 Ghostricks have much more varied effects, from burning to milling cards, to searching. These are the ones that give a Ghostrick deck the most variety.

Ghostricks are not without their own set of Powerful spells and traps, that let them make the best of the face down defense position cards on the field.

Ghostrick Mansion and Museum show us the ghostricks having fun together, and they also stall your opponent like there's no tomorrow, protecting your face down defense position monsters from being attacked and allowing you to attack directly should you manage to place all of your opponents monsters face down.

As for the traps "Ghostrick Scare" is the "Fuck you" card of the deck, as it switches all your monsters from face down defense position to face up attack position, triggering their effects, while also switching the same number of monsters your opponent controls from face-up to face down. "Ghostrick Night" not only shows us that american ghosts are hilariously scared of japanese ghosts,but it also locks the opponent out of flipping the cards you make them switch to face down while also shielding you from attacks the moment it is destroyed.

Not scary enough for ya? No problem this is Gen 4, so that means....Xyz Monsters!

"Alucard" and "Socuteboss" will protect your own face down cards. Alucard will then take care of destroying any face down cards your opponent has, while Socuteboss and Dullahan will take care of any nasty face up monsters...and Socuteboss will also make the zone they were in unusable!

The last Xyz monster makes the best of the Ghostricks ability to stall by giving them a win condition.

While Angel of Mischief has some GREAT searching effect at the cost of the Xyz material cards beneath her, you might want to leave those materials on while you stall your opponent to death.
Once per turn, you may place 1 Ghostrick card beneath Angel of Mischief, if she reaches 10 cards beneath her, you automatically win the duel.

As you can see, Ghostricks have all the tricks to exasperate your opponent.

Amazing designs coupled with some unique gameplay, these cards are just an adorable bunch.While time and a lack of support (particularly the lack of Link monsters) made Ghostricks lose steam in both power and popularity, they're an incredibly fun deck to play with and a very frustrating one to play against, one thing's for sure, they're perfect for Halloween.

Last edited:

Thores

Oct 25, 2017
I decided to do this one a little earlier than expected, because my next week is PACKED and because I totally forgot about 1 extra card that totally deserves a spot, so, our next spooooky card is.....!!

Ghostrick Witch
Generation 4: ZEXAL
Artwork:

You just can't have a Yu-Gi-Oh! Halloween without the Ghostrick cards! These little creatures are the embodiments of Halloween! While I chose "Ghostrick Witch" as the face of the archetype (mostly because I heavily associate witches with Halloween) this review will cover all about this incredible monsters!

As you can see, Witch and her friends are adorable, light hearted versions of many Halloween all-stars like ghosts, jack-o-lanterns, frankenstein, werewolves and mummies. They even include some well known urban tales such as Bloody Mary, and add a sprinkle of spooky Japanese and Chinese Folklore to make this Halloween Deck simply perfect.

In terms of design, Witch stands out as my all time favorite, but to be honest, they're all bloody brilliant. They all have this innocence injected into otherwise creepy and unnerving creatures that makes them feel unique, like I'm watching characters from a Halloween cartoon from back when I was a kid. This is the kind of fantastic card design that TCG exclusive cards can reach by not having to be the face of marketing, allowing the designers to have fun and in turn give us one fantastic set of monsters to collect. One thing that I'd like to point out is that all these cards share a common, beautiful background, which sets them apart from the usual "Generic Explosion background" seen in most anime based cards and makes the whole deck feel cohesive. 10/10 designs for me.

In terms of gameplay, Ghostricks are the masters of jump scares! They just love scaring so much that they must enter the field hidden. Thatps why all of them state " "Cannot be Normal Summoned, unless you control a "Ghostrick" monster. Once per turn: You can change this card to face-down Defense Position". meaning that you must set them in face down defense position. Ghostrick effects usually work around setting cards face down, but they are heavily tied to their level.

Level 1 Ghostricks usually scare your opponent right from the hand, just like "Specter" above, who will enter the field face down from your hand if your opponent destroys another monster.

Level 2 Ghostricks stall by setting your opponent's cards face down, making them unusable for effects or summons, just like our cute little Witch

Level 3 Ghostricks have much more varied effects, from burning to milling cards, to searching. These are the ones that give a Ghostrick deck the most variety.

Ghostricks are not without their own set of Powerful spells and traps, that let them make the best of the face down defense position cards on the field.

Ghostrick Mansion and Museum show us the ghostricks having fun together, and they also stall your opponent like there's no tomorrow, protecting your face down defense position monsters from being attacked and allowing you to attack directly should you manage to place all of your opponents monsters face down.

As for the traps "Ghostrick Scare" is the "Fuck you" card of the deck, as it switches all your monsters from face down defense position to face up attack position, triggering their effects, while also switching the same number of monsters your opponent controls from face-up to face down. "Ghostrick Night" not only shows us that american ghosts are hilariously scared of japanese ghosts,but it also locks the opponent out of flipping the cards you make them switch to face down while also shielding you from attacks the moment it is destroyed.

Not scary enough for ya? No problem this is Gen 4, so that means....Xyz Monsters!

"Alucard" and "Socuteboss" will protect your own face down cards. Alucard will then take care of destroying any face down cards your opponent has, while Socuteboss and Dullahan will take care of any nasty face up monsters...and Socuteboss will also make the zone they were in unusable!

The last Xyz monster makes the best of the Ghostricks ability to stall by giving them a win condition.

While Angel of Mischief has some GREAT searching effect at the cost of the Xyz material cards beneath her, you might want to leave those materials on while you stall your opponent to death.
Once per turn, you may place 1 Ghostrick card beneath Angel of Mischief, if she reaches 10 cards beneath her, you automatically win the duel.

As you can see, Ghostricks have all the tricks to exasperate your opponent.

Amazing designs coupled with some unique gameplay, these cards are just an adorable bunch.While time and a lack of support (particularly the lack of Link monsters) made Ghostricks lose steam in both power and popularity, they're an incredibly fun deck to play with and a very frustrating one to play against, one thing's for sure, they're perfect for Halloween.
Looove Ghostrick. Both great designs and a really fun playstyle. For whatever reason, they gave the archetype to Bonz in Duel Links, so I didn't realize it was a Gen 4 archetype! Those Xyz cards seem like a good time.

Would love to read your thoughts on them!
I decided to play through Gen 1-3 Story Modes before really tackling the new stuff, and because I get easily distracted, I'm not done yet. I'd love to share my experiences once I get to Gen 4, though! The taste of Xyz that I got through trying the draft deck feature was already really enjoyable.

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
This new IGAS card looks Pumkish:

JackABooran-IGAS-JP-SR.png

Decent effect too:

https://yugipedia.com/wiki/Jack_A'_Booran

That's not bad, maybe a bit too much tho.

I decided to play through Gen 1-3 Story Modes before really tackling the new stuff, and because I get easily distracted, I'm not done yet. I'd love to share my experiences once I get to Gen 4, though! The taste of Xyz that I got through trying the draft deck feature was already really enjoyable.

Awesome, looking forward to it!

SeroTyler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Great reviews as always.

I think Pumpking was the first card I actually owned. A friend gave it to me at his birthday, in hindsight because it's clearly terrible.

RIP Bonz

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
tX65vl2hY3y4AFMZBxM6n8Xr7Fql31c2tkP2leJ6XLQ.jpg

Skull Servant
Generation 1: Duel Monsters
Users: None
Artwork:

I said I wanted to push an extra card for the Halloween Special, this is the one. I present what for a long time was considered one of the worst cards in this game! The only Level 1 Zombie Normal Monster that is just perfect for Halloween season...The one and only Skull Servant!

Design wise, Skull Servant is a pretty cool skeleton dude saying hi, you just can't hate him, he's cool.

Skull Servant was a card introduced in the very very first Yu-Gi-Oh Expansion, "The Legend of the Blue-Eyes White Dragon" back when the game designers had no fucking clue as to where they were taking this game in terms of game design, they just had a Shonen manga vaguely describe some rules and that was it. So many cards from the early expansions are simply...for lack of a better word...Useless. Some like Servant had incredibly low stats and effect monsters were not common place, others had mediocre stats and demanded tributes. These cards found no place within the game as players and game designers found a direction they wanted for early YGO. Many of them are beloved in the memetastic kind of way, like Shapesnatch or Morinphen.

But Skull Servants were considered plain awful even back in the day, it's reputation as the worst card of Yu-Gi-Oh! followed them everywhere they went. Videogames even made fun of how weak they were by giving the players an achievement if they ever managed to pull a "Skull Servant Finish",

They got mad. They banded together They realized that they are...

"A Skeletal ghost that isn't strong but can mean trouble in large numbers"

And numbers they got. Skull Servant found a home among the "Wight" cards, a family of Skeletons all which are "Skull Servants" at their core

Having formed a society of skeletons, they had to elect a leader for their revolution, and one Skull Servant quickly rose through the ranks to lead the Skull Servants to victory

As you can see by their effects, "Wight" cards are always considered to be "Skull Servant" in the graveyard, while "King of the Skull Servants" gains 1000 ATK for each Skull Servant in your graveyard, the strategy is simple, trigger the effects of as many Wight cards as possible to get a King of the Skull Servant out when you have sent a lot of Wight and "Skull Servant" in the grave so that the ATK value of King is

RtXLOJDx.jpg

....juuuuust right.

And with that, King will be able to revive over and over again!

Skull Servant decks heavily rely on ATK and it's strategy is nowhere as complex as modern decks require for victory, however Skull Servant had some shine in "Duel Links" for mobile devices as well as the new "Speed Duel" format, which is a physical version of the "Duel Links" Rules.

While Skull Servant will never be a good card, at least now it's part of a fun gimmick deck.

Last edited:

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
Man, definitely continue to appreciate this thread, and especially love seeing the crazy support and love given to old stuff that I never knew it got. I swear, if you ever are looking to hop back in with a theme, I would love to just see a laying out of references and the like across cards.

Like I think my favorite one personally was when I found old Marauding Captain apparently got into marmiting at some point!

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Man, definitely continue to appreciate this thread, and especially love seeing the crazy support and love given to old stuff that I never knew it got. I swear, if you ever are looking to hop back in with a theme, I would love to just see a laying out of references and the like across cards.

Like I think my favorite one personally was when I found old Marauding Captain apparently got into marmiting at some point!

He's into motivational speeches lately

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yugioh has some fun card storylines. Like you could probably do a whole series of reviews based on the greedy goblin's misadventures, or gigobyte. Or dare I say the monsterous amount of lore in the duel terminal or world legacy series lol

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Last spooky card before our Halloween champion arrives! This one goes to my pal Vito

Vampire Lord
Generation 1 & 2: Duel Monsters & GX
Users: Seto Kaiba, Camula
Artwork:

While this card was first used by Seto Kaiba in the Virtual World Arc, that arc was trash so let's talk about GX instead!

After being trusted with the keys to the sacred beasts, Jaden and his friends are relentlessly attacked by a group known only as the "Shadow Raiders", a group of duelists loyal to Kagemaru, who will do anything to get him the keys to the power of the sacred beasts. Among them, there's Camula, master of vampires.

Camula-TFSP.png

Camula is an actual vampire herself, she is one of the few survivors of a genocide of the vampire race that took place in Medieval Europe. Camula wishes to obtain the power of the beasts to revive her people, and she has the power to turn everyone who loses to her into dolls. Man GX was weird...

Camula is by far the most well known Shadow Raider, as she acts as sort of mid-level boss for Jaden and Co,, defeating both of the team's heavy hitters (Crowler and Zane) and turning them to dolls. She overwhelmed her opponents with her ace card "Vampire Lord", a level 5, zombie effect monster that can take out cards from the opponent's deck...She is even able to go further beyond and evolve lord into the almighty "Vampire Genesis"

Vampire lord has a pretty badass design, a bishonen anime vampire with a huge claw that works as both his cape and his wings. I like how he's snapping his fingers as if calling a swarm of vampires to attack his enemies, his shit-eating grin makes the design work perfectly. I also love the blood red background, even if it lacks the impact to make Lord pop out a bit more.

Lord's gameplay is, by modern standards, dogshit. This cards requires 1 tribute to be summoned and it has a mediocre 2000 ATK, it has an effect that allows you to choose a card type (Monster, Spell, or Trap) and have your opponent choose one card of the desired type in their deck and send it to the grave,this happens every time Lord inflicts battle damage. So in an era where every card can have an effect that triggers in the graveyard no matter if it's a spell, trap or monster you are pretty much setting up your opponent's strategy for them. Lord has a much better second effect, allowing it to return to the field after being destroyed with a card effect. However, given how easy it is to get rid of monsters without destroying them these days, you'll probably never get to trigger that effect.

While Vampire Lord remains pretty useless, Camula's deck has received tons of really cool support, creating the "Vampire" deck theme filled with anime waifus and husbandos

Konami even managed to sneak in a reference to their other hit franchise "Castlevania" with those last two! And those are just the tip of the iceberg, there's vampires for days. And there's incredible spell and trap support too.

And no support is complete without some Extra Deck Support, in this case, Vampires got both Xyz and Link monsters

All that support unfortunately ends up making "Lord" even more obsolete, as these vampires have a much more consistent playstyle, they can swarm the field, attack your opponent's cards and revive them as their servants.

Probably one of the coolest zombie decks out there! And while not very competitive, it has lots of fans.

Sadly, Lord is left out of this Halloween Vampire party as there's much better options than him.

Last edited:

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Get the Switch game already so I can show you how useless Lord is my friend.

tumblr_owgb7irdL81v8pjpxo1_400.gif

Narroo

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
Last spooky card before our Halloween champion arrives! This one goes to my pal Vito

Vampire Lord
Generation 1 & 2: Duel Monsters & GX
Users: Seto Kaiba, Camula
Artwork:

While this card was first used by Seto Kaiba in the Virtual World Arc, that arc was trash so let's talk about GX instead!

After being trusted with the keys to the sacred beasts, Jaden and his friends are relentlessly attacked by a group known only as the "Shadow Raiders", a group of duelists loyal to Kagemaru, who will do anything to get him the keys to the power of the sacred beasts. Among them, there's Camula, master of vampires.

Camula-TFSP.png

Camula is an actual vampire herself, she is one of the few survivors of a genocide of the vampire race that took place in Medieval Europe. Camula wishes to obtain the power of the beasts to revive her people, and she has the power to turn everyone who loses to her into dolls. Man GX was weird...

Camula is by far the most well known Shadow Raider, as she acts as sort of mid-level boss for Jaden and Co,, defeating both of the team's heavy hitters (Crowler and Zane) and turning them to dolls. She overwhelmed her opponents with her ace card "Vampire Lord", a level 5, zombie effect monster that can take out cards from the opponent's deck...She is even able to go further beyond and evolve lord into the almighty "Vampire Genesis"

Vampire lord has a pretty badass design, a bishonen anime vampire with a huge claw that works as both his cape and his wings. I like how he's snapping his fingers as if calling a swarm of vampires to attack his enemies, his shit-eating grin makes the design work perfectly. I also love the blood red background, even if it lacks the impact to make Lord pop out a bit more.

Lord's gameplay is, by modern standards, dogshit. This cards requires 1 tribute to be summoned and it has a mediocre 2000 ATK, it has an effect that allows you to choose a card type (Monster, Spell, or Trap) and have your opponent choose one card of the desired type in their deck and send it to the grave,this happens every time Lord inflicts battle damage. So in an era where every card can have an effect that triggers in the graveyard no matter if it's a spell, trap or monster you are pretty much setting up your opponent's strategy for them. Lord has a much better second effect, allowing it to return to the field after being destroyed with a card effect. However, given how easy it is to get rid of monsters without destroying them these days, you'll probably never get to trigger that effect.

While Vampire Lord remains pretty useless, Camula's deck has received tons of really cool support, creating the "Vampire" deck theme filled with anime waifus and husbandos

Konami even managed to sneak in a reference to their other hit franchise "Castlevania" with those last two! And those are just the tip of the iceberg, there's vampires for days. And there's incredible spell and trap support too.

And no support is complete without some Extra Deck Support, in this case, Vampires got both Xyz and Link monsters

All that support unfortunately ends up making "Lord" even more obsolete, as these vampires have a much more consistent playstyle, they can swarm the field, attack your opponent's cards and revive them as their servants.

Probably one of the coolest zombie decks out there! And while not very competitive, it has lots of fans.

Sadly, Lord is left out of this Halloween Vampire party as there's much better options than him.
That last one; I'm pretty sure that's inspired by Flandre from Touhou.

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
Vampire Lord may suck nowadays, but I LOVED that card and legitimately played with him for a while when he was a new card (okay, there's a fair chance he may not have been great back then either, but I used him and he was cool, dang it!)

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

As I promised, today we end our Halloween Special with the single Halloweeniest card that exist in this game. No archetype to boost it's Halloween level. No nostalgia to fall back on, just pure, unadulterated Halloween.

Hallohallo
Generation 6: VRAINS
Artwork:

"Hallo Hallo, brain of tallow,
Guts are gone, noggin's hollow.
Seeking sweets and marshing mallows,
Watch your back, and your candy sack.
"

With the introduction of Link monsters, you'd think the sneak preview promotional card for "Code of the Duelist" would be some cool Link monster to promote them among players thirsty enough for an expansion to pay for a few packs in advance, but nope, generation 6's promotional card was Level 3, Scale 2, Fiend/Pendulum/Tuner/Normal Monster! "Hallohallo" a card that make perfect sense to release since "Code of the Duelist" was released on *Checks Notes*....August 2017? Huh, weird.

Hallohallo is pure concentrated Halloween coating cardboard, It's a Ghost Pumpkin wearing a witch hat and wearing a little vampire cape. It's not only ADORABLE but it's also a bit unnerving when you stare at its dark, empty eyes. It gives off the same "Cute, but I want nuthin' to do with it" feeling as Samheim, the Halloween spirit from my favorite Halloween movie "Trick R' Treat" (Seriously go watch it!).
KQyC.gif

The little nursery rhyme style flavor text just makes it even more clear that this is a Halloween ghost, just like Sam, so it all comes together, perfectly.

The background of the card looks like a street where a Halloween festival is going on, so it makes it look like Hallohallo is overflying it. The weird gears in the background make no sense to me at all though, but for some strange reason, they just work. Fantastic design that sadly gave me the wrong expectations for the very first Gen 6 expansion, as I only got TRON shit from that point on.

Hallohallo is a normal monsters, which means it doesn't have an effect when you summon it on the field, however, this game has evolved far enough that you just know Hallohallo has some tricks for those foolish enough to not give him a treat. First off, it's a Pendulum monster, meaning that even if it behaves as a normal effect-less monster while on a monster zone, you can still activate it as a spell in your Pendulum Zones. If you do, It's spell effect will let you roll a die, and change the level of one of your monsters based on the result. Rolling dice and leaving things up to chance is never good in YGO, but it's better than a card with no effect at all.

Second, it is also a Tuner monster, which allows you to use it to tune your monsters into powerful Synchro Monsters. This means that you can Synchro summon a card such as....say...

By sending it to the graveyard along a level 2 monsters....BUT! Hallohallo is a Pendulum monster! Meaning that instead of going to the graveyard it will go to your Extra Deck, face-up, where you can summon it back through Pendulum summon, so you if you have the appropriate Pendulum scales, you can Pendulum summon it back to the field and have it tune "Ally of Justice Catastor" into an even meanier synchro monster!

"Happy Halloween Motherfucker."

Fact is, Pendulum/Tuner monsters are very rare, and they are usually found in themes with lots of restrictions put on them to prevent that "Pendulum summon into Synchro Summon" free play that Hallohallo offers, but you need to remember that Hallohallo was released when the Link Rules came into effect, heavily nerfing this ability, as you can only summon pendulum monsters from the Extra Deck into an available Extra Monster zone or a Zone a Link Monster points at. Meaning that to pull off the above combo, you'd need at least 1 LINK-2 monster to be on your field.

Hallohallo is not a great card by any means, and it doesn't see play at a tournament level. But it's Halloween as fuck and that's all that matters.

COMING UP NEXT

Our next special occasion is, of course, Star Wars season in December! While I'm not too big on the sequel trilogy myself, the pre-release hype of any Star Wars movie is always a wonderful experience. So grab your lightsabers, coke your blasters, get that Midichlorian count sky high, cause we are celebrating "The Rise of Skywalker" with the most Star Warsy trading cards there are!

17883890_1001140683319869_2099089973143721407_n.jpg

HELL YES, we are going to a long time ago, in a galaxy far far away, where an unlikely band of heroes must embark in an epic sci-fi fantasy journey to....The Land of Oz!?

Last edited:

winstein

Oct 28, 2017
Malaysia
Was hoping that Abyss Actors are covered since I felt that they technically fit the Halloween theme, so it's disappointing to know that they weren't covered.

Thank you for reading.