• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Farrac

Nov 3, 2017
Alcalá de Henares, Spain
I actually do remember the bit about Crow being a villain before his cards got popular in the past back when I was watching the show.
Oh, another thing is that Life Stream Dragon was originally conceived as the 5th Dragon, but then Crow happened, so they essentially made Crow a Signer and delayed the whole thing to the very end. You can even see LSD in some flashbacks whereas Black-Wwinged Dragon was nowhere to be found.

I also seem to remember that Divine and the whole Arcadia Movement were supposed to be a bigger deal than what it actually ended up being.

I actually feel the second half of the show got affected the most by this changes. Suddenly, Yliaster is not an evil cult manipulating history from the shadows, but some sort of weird time-travelling cyborgs. Carly got written out of the show. And so on.

Voror

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, another thing is that Life Stream Dragon was originally conceived as the 5th Dragon, but then Crow happened, so they essentially made Crow a Signer and delayed the whole thing to the very end. You can even see LSD in some flashbacks whereas Black-Wwinged Dragon was nowhere to be found.

I also seem to remember that Divine and the whole Arcadia Movement were supposed to be a bigger deal than what it actually ended up being.

I actually feel the second half of the show got affected the most by this changes. Suddenly, Yliaster is not an evil cult manipulating history from the shadows, but some sort of weird time-travelling cyborgs. Carly got written out of the show. And so on.

If I end up doing a rewatch I'll have to look out for that.

Yeah, like a lot of things it seemed to get dropped and may have contributed to Aki's diminshing presence.

I actually haven't seen a lot of the second half aside from a few small arcs like Crashtown and then the final duel between Yusei and Jack. Carly was a bummer since her whole arc in the first half was actually pretty good I thought culminating in that duel with Jack.

Farrac

Nov 3, 2017
Alcalá de Henares, Spain
If I end up doing a rewatch I'll have to look out for that.

Yeah, like a lot of things it seemed to get dropped and may have contributed to Aki's diminshing presence.

I actually haven't seen a lot of the second half aside from a few small arcs like Crashtown and then the final duel between Yusei and Jack. Carly was a bummer since her whole arc in the first half was actually pretty good I thought culminating in that duel with Jack.
Yeah, Carly was lovely. And Crashtown is one of the best filler arcs in the series, imo.

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I just realized there's only 1 card left before I finish the main Aces. And that 45000 humans have seen my ramblings about cardboard.

Thank you everyone. It's been a hell of a ride.

I started this thread because I had a long week of work at home ahead of me. And stopping to take some minutes to write a couple of lines for the next review has kept me sane during all this.

My updates for round 2 probably won't be as consistent. But I will work to make them worthwhile.

Cyberninja776

Oct 28, 2017
I just realized there's only 1 card left before I finish the main Aces. And that 45000 humans have seen my ramblings about cardboard.

Thank you everyone. It's been a hell of a ride.
Thanks for doing this, it's been a good trip down memory lane and has given me a good deal to look out for when I pick up the Switch game.

winstein

Oct 28, 2017
Malaysia
The animated part where Blue Angel took a fall looks incredibly painful, although this might only be my impression when viewed out of context.

At one point when I lost interest in Yu-gi-oh, Mirror Force was banned, which I could understand since it was after all a card that was too devastating back then, so during the 5D's era when I returned to the game and I saw the CPUs using that card, it really surprised me because I had the impression that it was still too good, though to be fair, it was still Limited. The other Mirror Force cards look like they are pretty good except for Dark Mirror Force, which has an effect that I thought was pretty situational (it affects only Defence position monsters although non-targeting banishment is great).

In terms of 5D's, something that I noticed when I watched it not long ago is that Luna (Ruka) doesn't seem to do as much as the other Signers after the Dark Signer arc even though she is one of the Signers, as I don't recall Luna going to the Spirit World during this time. It's little wonder that her future portrayed her as not being a duelist compared to her twin brother, who I felt got more moments to shine.

Thank you for reading.

Salamangreat Heatleo & Altergeist Hexstia
OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Salamangreat Heatleo
Generation 6: VRAINS
User: Takeru Homura (a.k.a Soulburner)

Original Artwork:

Latest Artwork:
1459454.jpg

Soulburner is a young man with a tragic past who also managed to find an Ignis AI that makes him a god level duelist. The best way to describe Soulburner is by quoting UtterlyPerplexed 's thoughts on the matter, because he said it best:
Now let's set up a second season where we give everyone besides Yusaku an extra special kicking. People complain about Yusaku/Playmaker having plot armour stronger than Vibranium, thereby sidelining everyone else? Don't worry, the writers are on the case. Let's have a second Yusaku! That's right! Let's introduce the Johan/Crow of the show with Soulburner, another character with an Ignis, an uninspiring backstory and judging by the current opening and ending, some kind of forced bromance with the hero. To Soulburner's credit, he at least feels like a Yusaku with some personality. The two friendly AIs of the show so far have wonderful chemistry with each other. Yusaku still has the personality of a frowning block of lead though.
latest

Soulburner plays with Cyberse-Type animals cooking themselves known as "Salamangreats", among which his favorite card is a LINK-3, FIRE, Cyberse-Type Link monster, "Salamangreat Heatleo"

Heatleo's original artwork just reeks of an anime only card that was designed by an intern to appear in a one off episode and never be seen again, the pose is generic, almost a t-pose really, the design is extremely hard to follow and the background is uninspired "oh it has fire coming out of his body so let's put even more fire in the background...but like...DARK fire". There's no contest that the newer TCG artwork is milles better, now I can understand what is going on, the pose is more fierce and menacing and the background has energy.

Heatleo enters the field and shuffles a card from your opponent's backrow into the deck. Also since links can be used as either 1 individual monster or count as a number of monsters up to their arrow number for a Link summon, Heatleo decides to abuse this feature and add an effect which allows you to to set the ATK of an opponent's monster to be equal to a monster in your graveyard, but only if this Heatleo was summoned by using another a Heatleo as it's Link Material.

Salamangreat is a Tier 1 deck that is currently fighting for dominance in the meta, the season 2 of the show when they magically remembered that other types of summon exist gave Soul Burner an amazing fusion and his own "Super Polymerization" Equivalent to take down the fiercest decks the TCG has to offer, it's Xyz monster isn't any pushover either.

Salamangreats can swarm the field, use Fusion of Fire to fuse your Links into their fusion and use their Xyz to special summon more resources. a Tier 1 deck right there that shows how well the old mechanics can work with link now.

Altergeist Hexstia
Generation 6: VRAINS
User: Emma Bessho (a.k.a Ghostgirl)

Artwork:

For all the shit I give VRAINS for it's pathetic treatment of it's main female character, I can at least appreciate that she's not the only female character. While lesser in screentime, the sexy cyberspy Emma Bessho, better known for her virtual avatar "Ghostgirl" makes the bare minimum effort to salvage the dignity of female characters in VRAINS.

Emma

Ghostgirl:
dccq911-a7b05292-07c8-4797-a7f8-0261aab28d0a.png

Emma usually aids Yusaku and their crew as an "Oracle"-like guide, but she mostly does it to gather information for her own agenda and investigations, when it's time to duel though, she holds no barrels with her spellcaster deck "Altergeist" with the LINK-2, FIRE, Spellcaster-Type Link monster "Hexstia" at the front. Emma eventually takes "Blue Angel" under her wing to try and teach her how to be as cool as she is, thus creating "Blue Girl", it is clear at this point that she has failed miserably on that regard.

Like all Altergeist's, Hextia is a really creepy cybernetic looking chimera of a card, it looks like a robot, a doll, the human centipede and an alien all merged together, and I´m fine with it, I really dislike how girls in the franchise get to use only cutesy fairies, so Ghostgirl can now join Aki as one notable exception,a female duelist with an actually threatening looking deck.

Altergeist are an exremely effective Tier 1 deck with the ability to lock the opponent out or negate their effects, Hextia does just that, whenever your opponent activates a Spell or Trap card, Hextia can tribute another Altergeist monster and negate the activation, if she ever gets destroyed, you get to search for a new Altergeist monster and add it to your hand. Simple and effective. Altergeist as a deck is known to lock out the opponent out of their spells by using "Secret Village of the Spellcasters"

Much like the other characters, following the backlash against Link rules, she suddenly remembered she could Synchro Summon all along.

Providing yet another examples of old mechanics working really great with Link monsters as Hextia can tribute this card for a negation, and Dragvirion will simply revive itself on a different zone, opening up Hexstias arrows for a new summon.

I left these 2 VRAINS characters for last because their decks show how far Links have come as a mechanic since their initial disgustingly awful launch.

THIS IS IT!

Our little tour through all Generations of YuGiOh! has finished it's first run. 50 000 people have seen me rant about children's trading cards and many more of you have engaged and joined me through a really harsh week. This little breather of taking a couple minutes from my work to write a paragraph for the next review and continue with my work helped me immensely. And I can only hope you had as much fun as I did.

Thank you for letting me share with you all something I love and am passionate about.

While I´m not abandoning this thread or the little reviews, I will most definately not be as consistent as I was this week, I will continue adding a popular card or two when I find the time. Right now it's time for me to go back to my friends and GF for a while, I´ve been stuck at home working on this college project for a whole week!

But not before I review one more card, as I promised, round 2 of reviews starts with Gen 1 again...and next up is

OSIRIS THE SKY DRAGON GOD!

*Phone Rings*

Wait what? Honor the executive producer? you did WHAT?...oh my god....

*ahem*

SLIFER THE SKY DRAGON!

Last edited:

Farrac

Nov 3, 2017
Alcalá de Henares, Spain
Emma's avatar is the anthitesis of what I would expect from her, especially during season 2. Oh well, Altergeist are cool and finally a girl not having a "girly" deck.

I must say I enjoy Soulburner's Resurrection Summon gimmick.

Also, the real card of VRAINS is Judgement Arrows at this point.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm sad to learn Sunavalon is still anime only so I guess you're not covering those. 😭

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
But but I just watched him die as his mom burned to the ground.

Are you telling me death doesn't stick in a Yu-Gi-Oh series?

i-hate-u

Oct 25, 2017
Every single Yugioh series past 5D's had interesting cards, except Vrains. I can literally not come to like any new archetype from that show.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
But will we get some Manga highlights too like the Planet series, light and darkness dragon, etc? Several made some decent waves in the card game even if the mangas don't have as big a presence

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
LMAO I know I should stick to the cards since this is gaming. But VRAINS actually did the villain thing.

Oh man, they really have no idea what they're doing

#RevolverWasRight.

I'll do Slifer later tonight. Have a test today

Last edited:

Mario Bilo

trying to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Jan 7, 2018
Guys I don't mean to "that guy" but can we not post open spoilers for Vrains?

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wait a second, I think they're going that route...

For those of you who watched the show, AI is going to end up like Ankh in Kamen Rider OOOs, right?

Also I appreciate AI yelling at his buddy to stop commenting on everything when that's all that AI does.

LordBaztion

Oct 27, 2017
Lima Perú
man, Vrains and links are a trainwreck.
I'm not sure if it's the right time to come back to play yugi. At least, it can't get worse than Firewall Dragon.

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
man, Vrains and links are a trainwreck.
I'm not sure if it's the right time to come back to play yugi. At least, it can't get worse than Firewall Dragon.

Right now, it's great. Links at launch are very different to Links today

VRAINS is a trainwreck with Revolver and Ghostgirl desperately trying to hold it together

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
So which anime is the one I should watch if I haven't seeb anything since the first series?
This wonderful thread has made me curious, and the ranking that was posted recently was pictures and doesn't tell me anything, since I don't recognize those peoplr

Cyberninja776

Oct 28, 2017
So which anime is the one I should watch if I haven't seeb anything since the first series?
This wonderful thread has made me curious, and the ranking that was posted recently was pictures and doesn't tell me anything, since I don't recognize those peoplr

I personally like Zexal but I think I'm the only one who does. 5Ds and Arc V are good choices and Vrains is just kinda there...

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Zexal is the only version that lacks subs on Crunchryroll for whatever reason...

Personally I LOVE GX, but I'm in the minority. Find a good guide online to find what episodes you can skip, which is a lot of Season 1 and 2, but I think Season 2 massively improves when it comes to the plot-focused episodes, Season 3 abandons most of the filler and becomes far more serious (which I didn't like too much when I first watched it as it actually gets depressing), and Season 4 is a fucking wild ride that some would say is the Evangelion of Yu-Gi-Oh.

Watch as a man is forced to choose letting his father or mother die in a fire---BUT WAIT, it was all an illusion and they're both fine! But he's literally been erased from existence. Also his Duel Disk is a literal gun.

Also there's an episode which LITERALLY does what the 5D's writers did with Crow, introduce this awesome dude who is friends with everyone who has never been mentioned before. But in this case, it's literally the power of this dude to make everyone believe he was already there.

Season 4 of GX is the height of Yu-Gi-Oh in my opinion, the culmination of GX's absolute desire to simultaneously have fun with the concept of a world obsessed with dueling while also having some serious moments. This started as early as Season 2 as far as I'm concerned, as I generally think Saiou is the greatest villain outside of the OG in Yu-Gi-Oh

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica

Like the original, 5D's and Arc-V are great experiences despite their shortcomings

GX is good fun, ZEXAL is uneven and nosedives a lot but it has it's charm.

Avoid VRAINS

Overall, 5D's is the best option imo.

EMT0

Oct 25, 2017
I'll say Arc-V. You'll see all of the mechanics that aren't crap(sorry not sorry VRAINS) bar Rituals get regular playtime and the first half is very strong. You pretty much have to pick your poison with any YGO series, they all have a failing. GX is start slow end high, 5DS is a victim of a complete plot rewrite, Zexal...is kind of just there tbh, Arc-V starts very strong and falls off a cliff at the very finale.

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I'll second this one. First 64 or so episodes are all one big story arc that's quite enjoyable. Can't really comment after that aside from a few small arcs here and there.

You can just watch those 64 episodes of 5D's and get a full satisfactory resolution to the plot and characters minus a few details.

They're THAT good.

And even with the hastily rewritten S3, you still get amazing character moments and battles.

The Battle against the Nordic Gods is amazing. As is Shooting Star Dragon making its first appearance with Masaki Endoh blasting in the background.

Last edited:

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Honestly the cracks kind of began to shine through in the Dark Signers arc of 5Ds, but yeah it's a pretty sweet ride.

I think the best part of the show is easily everything leading up to Kiryu's debut. In particular, I love the early part where Yusei is on the run but unlike VRAINS they actually have time to establish his allies.

(R.I.P. Himuro)

Supaidaman

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you for this thread :)

I've fallen from the series after season 2 of 5D's but I'm loving all your write-ups. Keep up the good work!

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Season 3 of GX might be my favorite portion of a Yu-Gi-Oh show, maybe alongside the Synchro Arc.

I generally love all the new transfer students, Viper's a cool villain, they make Napoleon a sympathetic character of all things, Yubel makes her grand debut, Judai begins to grow, and despite all the dark elements I really enjoy the comedic moments of the zombie episode even if they lead into basically everyone dying.

As I said before, I was mixed on Season 3's second half tonal shift when I first watched it weekly, but marathoning it maybe I'll have a better opinon.