• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GTOAkira

Sep 1, 2018
Was a big fan of the XYZ machine deck was a sick fusion between transformers and power rangers
latest

Also still one of my favorite card ever the original battle ox!
519sRae303L.jpg

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
You planning on covering iconic cards that had limited anime presence, or not really? Like, I loved Injection Fairy Lily and the card was definitely a huge one back in the day, but IIRC didn't she only show up in like one duel in that Virtual Reality filler season or whatever?

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
You planning on covering iconic cards that had limited anime presence, or not really? Like, I loved Injection Fairy Lily and the card was definitely a huge one back in the day, but IIRC didn't she only show up in like one duel in that Virtual Reality filler season or whatever?

I thought about doing Noah's Shinato next....but it's really not nearly as well known as the one I'm working on next.

Maybe for the second round of reviews after the aces are done.

I'm thinking of starting round 2 with the likes Dark Magician Girl, Flame Swordsman and Chaos Emperor Dragon. Not aces. But prominent cards for characters

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
damn, i wish i could love something as much as you love this Fj

The community in my country helped me finally find friends and a place I felt I belonged back when I was a teen....Without it, my GF and GAF, I'm sure I would've ended up an Incel piece of garbage.

Sadly, the community here now has a lot of those.

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
Btw, this thread finally inspired me to do a certain something...

Back when I was a youngster, I had a Thousand Eyes Restrict that I was super proud of, and I brought it to a mall tournament or something as an arbitrary fusion/side deck, because I liked it so much. Well, either through someone yanking it or my own inattentiveness, I lost it that day, and was supremely upset. Never managed to replace it, either.

But I went and checked thanks to this thread, and they were cheap enough that I grabbed one just to have, finally bringing closure to that childhood incident.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
Cool thread.

I still have my Yu-Gi-Oh cards from way back. Love me my Chaos Emperor Dragon Envoy of the End and Yata Garasu. Though I stopped collecting and playing not long after getting the former.

Bwooduhs

Oct 25, 2017
The nostalgia of this thread has hit me like a ton of bricks. I was a huge fan of the show and game when I was younger but had kind of forgotten about it.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
OP is just hating on Ra because he doesn't know the ancient chant to summon it lmao. It's a top tier card, I guess it makes sense that a third rate duelists would try to downplay it.

The Seal of Orichalcos
OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
The Seal of Orichalcos
Generation 1
: Duel Monsters
User: Dartz

Artwork:
latest

I know, the 4kids theme song also played in my mind when I read the name.

The Seal of Orichalcos is a Field Spell Card wielded by Dartz and his minions during the "Waking the Dragons" filler arc. It's show counterpart allowed the user to usen their spell zones as if they were monster zones protected by the monsters in the zones in front of them. It also had a habit of snatching the soul out of whoever lost the duel and feeding it to a giant snake.

In terms of artwork. Lord knows anime filler arcs are the worst. The Legendary Dragons the arc is named after all had to be redone because of how much the anime staff didn't give a fuck. The Seal is an example of their laziness. A cool seal on a black background and some mist. That was it.The TCG/Videogame version remains faithful and I think more could've been done with it. Draw it in a temple or something!

For what it's worth I think the seal design is solid and memorable. I just wish the background was better.

As a card. Real honest effort was put into translating the OP BS of the show into an actual playable card unlike with the Winged Dragon of Ra. Each effect calls back to something that happened in the show.

-It's 500 ATK increase for all monsters is straight from the show.

-It's protection against destruction is a reference to Yugi trying and failing to destroy the seal with a trap card the first time he fought against it.

-The effect that makes it so the opponent can only attack your strongest monsters first is a reference to the anime effect of letting you put monsters in the backrow to protect them

-It's effect to destroy the user's Extra Deck monsters references Yugi's Dark Magician Girl The Dragon Knight, a fusion, destroying herself out of dissapoitment on her master for using the seal. Same as the effect preventing the user from using extra deck cards. No user of the card ever played a Fusion Monster while their seal was active.

- "You can only activate The Seal of Orichalcos once per duel" needs no explanations

The card itself is very niche and appears from time to time on casual beater decks. No support for this card has been released as of 2019.

Overall a memorable card that gave Yugi his first legitimate loss and carried the filler arc into being memorable. The effort to translate the card for the TCG and games is commendable.

Great Card for fun matches.

Trivia time: The inscription on the seal just says "Orichalcos" twice

Last edited:

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
The Seal of Orichalcos
Generation 1
User: Dartz

Artwork:
latest

I know, the 4kids theme song also played in my mind when I read the name.

The Seal of Orichalcos is a Field Spell Card wielded by Dartz and his minions during the "Waking the Dragons" filler arc. It's show counterpart allowed the user to usen their spell zones as if they were monster zones protected by the monsters in the zones in front of them. It also had a habit of snatching the soul out of whoever lost the duel and feeding it to a giant snake.

In terms of artwork. Lord knows anime filler arcs are the worst. The Legendary Dragons the arc is named after all had to be redone because of how much the anime staff didn't give a fuck. The Seal is an example of their laziness. A cool seal on a black background and some mist. That was it.The TCG/Videogame version remains faithful and I think more could've been done with it. Draw it in a temple or something!

For what it's worth I think the seal design is solid and memorable. I just wish the background was better.

As a card. Real honest effort was put into translating the OP BS of the show into an actual playable card unlike with the Winged Dragon of Ra. Each effect calls back to something that happened in the show.

-It's 500 ATK increase for all monsters is straight from the show.

-It's protection against destruction is a reference to Yugi trying and failing to destroy the seal with a trap card the first time he fought against it.

-The effect that makes it so the opponent can only attack your strongest monsters first is a reference to the anime effect of letting you put monsters in the backrow to protect them

-It's effect to destroy the user's Extra Deck monsters references Yugi's Dark Magician Girl The Dragon Knight, a fusion, destroying herself out of dissapoitment on her master for using the seal. Same as the effect preventing the user from using extra deck cards. No user of the card ever played a Fusion Monster while their seal was active.

- "You can only activate The Seal of Orichalcos once per duel" needs no explanations

The card itself is very niche and appears from time to time on casual beater decks. No support for this card has been released as of 2019.

Overall a memorable card that gave Yugi his first legitimate loss and carried the filler arc into being memorable. The effort to translate the card for the TCG and games is commendable.

Great Card for fun matches.

Trivia time: The inscription on the seal just says "Orichalcos" twice
Seal of Orichalcos was all over my notebooks in late high school. My teachers probably thought I was a Satanist lol

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Talking about the Orichalchos arc, I'm still waiting Konami for you to release Valon's Armor cards! I want a reason to punch my opponents' monsters.

latest

CielYoshi

May 10, 2018
Santiago, Chile
I'll fully admit to buying an Orichalcos orica deck, then running roughshod over my local casual group. Then someone else bought a Don Thousand orica deck...

PS: Armor cards when Konami???

Sanchoco

Dec 3, 2018
Jinzo is coming in the 2nd batch of reviews when I restart from Gen 1 but focus on non-Ace popular cards.

There's 1 more major Gen 1 character I'm working on, before moving to Gen 2's aces.

Will you do cards that were from the manga(that are cards in the TCG) like Jaden's Terra Firma, Chazz's Light & Darkness Dragon?

In any case, these are great write ups. I'm feeling all nostalgic from this! Keep up the awesome work!

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Y
Will you do cards that were from the manga(that are cards in the TCG) like Jaden's Terra Firma, Chazz's Light & Darkness Dragon?

In any case, these are great write ups. I'm feeling all nostalgic from this! Keep up the awesome work!
yeah I asked about the manga stuff too especially the planet series'high fives' also 5D's arch rival Sect and his two duel dragons too

Dark Necrofear
OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Dark Necrofear
Generation 1
User: Bakura

Artwork:

You know, It was hard choosing Bakura's ace card. He's been defeated so many times with so many different plans that I've always hated him being the final villain after all those defeats. He used Man-Eater, Reaper of the Cards, Headless Knight, Dark Spirit of the Silent,Destiny Board and the shittastic Diabound Kernel that would end up transforming into Zorc. He failed every time. A part of me really wanted to do "Change of Heart" as he states it's his favorite card and it exemplifies the character.

I settled on Dark Necrofear, because last month, 20 years later, support for Bakura's Deck has been finally anounced, and it focuses on this card. That gives me more to talk about, and I'll take it.

Dark Necrofear is a level 8, DARK, Fiend-Type effect monster. As far as design go for the "Queen of the World of the Dead".... it's fine. I dunno but creepy woman with creepy dolls feels like something that might have been an original idea then, but now it's just so generic. Thank fully Necrofear balances it out with the creepy mechanisms throught her body. She looks like a possesed doll holding another possessed doll it's kinda cool. The background being dark and flamey evokes hell and plays well with the blue of her body, making her pop out more....I really dislike the copper boobs though, the bright color makes me focus on them so it's distracting. I would've gone with the same black leather on her legs and arms for her bra to make her look a bit more consistent.

For the game...It's also okay, the 3 fiends in the GY requirement for her summon can be achieved easily if your deck is dedicated to it, she gets to the field with a respectable 2200 ATK or become a good wall with 2800 DEF. If the opponent manages to defeat by battle or by card effect you get to take control of one of their monsters.

Necrofear wasn't too popular then and it's not too popular now, no one will get her on a fiend deck despite "Dark World" and "Burning Abyss" being Fiend Decks that fill the graveyard pretty quickly, simply put, they have way better options for the price Necrofear is asking.

Bakura's deck has been neglected for almost 20 years because of how much more popular Marik Ishtar and Maximillion Pegasus are as the villains of Gen 1. Thankfully it seems that this is about to change as a new "Duelist Pack: Bakura" has been recently anounced, marking the first time Bakura gets a product all to himself...

One of the cards anounced is a shiny "Curse Necrofear"

Curse Necrofear
Level 8 DARK Fiend Special Summon Effect Monster
ATK 2800
DEF 2200
This card cannot be Normal Summoned/Set, and can only be Special Summoned by a card effect. You can only use the 1st and 2nd effect of this card's name once per turn.
(1) You can target 3 of your banished Fiend monsters; Special Summon this card, then, shuffle those targets into the Deck.
(2) If this monster you control is destroyed by your opponent and sent to the GY, during the End Phase of that turn: Special Summon this card from the GY, then, destroy cards your opponent controls up to the number of Spell/Traps you control with different names.

This card seems to be designed to repay the cost of summoning the OG Necrofear.

Not only that but they also seem to have reworked Bakura's Dark spirit of the Silent and Destiny Board to work with Necrofear as one single deck with a consistent strategy. I hope it works out.

Full translations of the anounced cards here: https://beyondtheduel.com/dp22-bakura-new-cards-with-curse-necrofear-and-more/

This gives me hope for Dark Necrofear getting to have a deck that uses her to her full potential, because as of now, Necrofear remains in obscurity...Pun Intended.

Trivia Time!...*Sigh*, I guess there's no way around this little fact. This card's original name in it's first appereance on Takahashi's manga was, and I shit you not, "Dark Necrophilia". Whether it was Takahashi's broken english,him thinking he was clever, or a poor editing job...the card became "Necrofear" 0.01 seconds after that chapter was released.

That is it for the Ace cards of the most popular Gen 1 characters...Now, I hope your game can get on.

Last edited:
Pot of Greed
OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Pot of Greed
Generations 1 and 2
: Duel Monsters and GX
User: Like literally everyone and their mother

Artwork:

I thought it would be a good idea to bridge generations 1 and 2 with a card they have in common.

Pot of Greed is a Normal Spell, and it's known to have the shortest effect of any YGO card. And that's where the mistery lies, what am I supposes to do with so little information? The question of "What the hell Pot of Greed do?" is an enigma for the ages.

The art is a green ornamented pot with a creepy smiley face...I´m really not sure how to review the art because it's literally just a pot with a creepy face. The blue ornaments look cool, like forming a kind of tribal tattoo on the face, the eyes look evil and the grin is downright shit-eating. I guess the art is supposed to represent a pot that makes whoever finds it be overcome by greed...I dunno.

What makes it interesting is that the card is one of the few spells to be consistently "Summoned" to the field in the anime as if it was a monster card. I guess that's what made it iconic and you know...being fucking broken.

I have cracked the code. today I will explain Pot of Greed's effects in the game. Pot of Greed works like this, on the 40-60 card pile located to your right of the duel field, you, the player currently activating the card, is obligated to move your hand upon the aforementioned stack of forty to sixty cards and through basic muscular function take the first piece of card board on the stack, subsequently, you must repeat the process one more time, until the total amount of cards currently in your right hand is no higher than two. Once taken the 2 cards must be moved to your other hand where the rest of the cards available for you to use in the game exists. Essentially, Pot of Greed allows you to add 2 aditional cards to your hand.

Jokes aside, Pot of Greed is fucking BUSTED. The card literally has no drawbacks for letting you add resources to your hand in a game where 1 card can completely change the flow of the game. This card was one of the first cards to ever be banned and rightfully so.

To put things into perspective, many "Pot"" cards have been created to ape on this card's legacy as a draw card. Usually they add severe restrictions for the 2 cards you get. The lastest one is this version:

Which is "Pot of Greed" mashed together with another busted Pot "Pot of Avarice". Desires literally takes 10 cards from your deck and throws them in the trash before you're allowed to draw 2 cards...AND IT'S STILL WORTH IT. That's how much advantage 2 cards can generate.

Pot of Greed is one card that will probably never see the light of day again unless it's text is heavily modified.

Trivia: Pot of Greed is Swole

Last edited:

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Seems weird to skip Slifer, Exodia, Zorc and Obelisk and go straight to GX. They were all ace monsters for the main characters.

I guess you're only going one monster for each main character. Chazz has multiple signature cards tho. Ojama Y/B/G, VWXYZ, Armed Dragon lv 10, and LaD Dragon.

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Seems weird to skip Slifer, Exodia, Zorc and Obelisk and go straight to GX. They were all ace monsters for the main characters.

I guess you're only going one monster for each main character. Chazz has multiple signature cards tho. Ojama Y/B/G, VWXYZ, Armed Dragon lv 10, and LaD Dragon.

Exactly, 1 card per character for each set of reviews, with the most iconic cards taking precedence.

I plan on doing more reviews if the thread stays active. For example Once I´m finished with Borreload Dragon from Gen 6. I will start a new set of reviews with Yugi's "Dark Magician Girl" Joey's "Jinzo" Marik´s "Juragedo" and so on

Chazz is getting Ojama Yellow first. That's what he deserves.

Last edited:

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's fun comparing Pot of Greed to its equivalents in other card games, which tend to be a lot less busted.

The Magic the Gathering equivalent, Divination, is an unexciting common basically never used in competitive constructed play. There are two key differences. The first and most relevant is that Pot of Greed is effectively free while Divination costs a resource (Mana). The second is that card advantage in Yugioh is incredibly powerful, even moreso than it is in other games.

Image.ashx

The funny thing is that even if Pot of Greed drew 1 card, it would still be broken because it effectively reduces the size of your deck by 1, which means your deck is more consistent.

Last edited:

EMT0

Oct 25, 2017
It's fun comparing Pot of Greed to its equivalents in other card games, which tend to be a lot less busted.

The Magic the Gathering equivalent, Divination, is an unexciting common basically never used in competitive constructed play. There are two key differences. The first and most relevant is that Pot of Greed is effectively free while Divination costs a resource (Mana). The second is that card advantage in Yugioh is incredibly powerful, even moreso than it is in other games.

Image.ashx

The funny thing is that even if Pot of Greed drew 1 card, it would still be broken because it effectively reduces the size of your deck by 1, which means your deck is more consistent.

Upstart Goblin died for exactly that reason, and I'm torn between glad and sad because some of my jankier decks really needed that reduced deck size

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica

Image.ashx

i've been saying this since last year. I'm sure Gen 7 will introduce a mana-like system for the next summon mechanic.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Pot of Desires is a really interesting design. Losing a fourth of your deck before drawing means that you can't really play multiples without risking decking out, but just playing 1 is such a crazy advantage. It doesn't surprise me it still sees play even with the added cost.

Something that's cool about Pot of Greed is why it became such a mainstay of the anime; because it draws two cards, it allowed for moments where things seem hopeless, the protagonist draws Pot of Greed, and then the next two cards end up being a combo of some kind. It's a bad card design, but a great dramatic writing device.
Upstart Goblin died for exactly that reason, and I'm torn between glad and sad because some of my jankier decks really needed that reduced deck size
Magic has its own Upstart Goblin, Gitaxian Probe. You pay life instead of your opponent gaining life, but get the ridiculous upside of looking at their hand.

Gitaxian%2BProbe%2B%255BNPH%255D.jpg

Gitaxian Probe is banned in every single competitive constructed format except Vintage, where it is restricted to a 1-of. Turns out that despite the differences between Magic and Yugioh, reducing your effective deck size is generally busted.

i-hate-u

Oct 25, 2017
I have cracked the code. today I will explain Pot of Greed's effects in the game. Pot of Greed works like this, on the 40-60 card pile located to your right of the duel field, you, the player currently activating the card, is obligated to move your hand upon the aforementioned stack of forty to sixty cards and through basic muscular function take the first piece of card board on the stack, subsequently, you must repeat the process one more time, until the total amount of cards currently in your right hand is no higher than two. Once taken the 2 cards must be moved to your other hand where the rest of the cards available for you to use in the game exists. Essentially, Pot of Greed allows you to add 2 aditional cards to your hand.

Too complicated, summoned Quasar instead.

Janna OP

Oct 25, 2017
Did he already talk about the OG most ridiculously busted card in Yugioh, Makyura the Destructor?