• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
a28bf72d74a43954f4d05247d1877348.jpg

Hi everyone! It's Fj0823 Your favorite Yu-Gi-Oh! card game obsessed poster.

So this is an idea that I've been having for a while, I wanted to talk about the most famous cards in the Yu-Gi-Oh! franchise, how to use them and maybe give you little tidbits of trivia about them. Mainly the cards that have been featured in some of the most memorable animated moments from the anime series, because lord knows I have much betters things to talk about than 9000+ children´s trading cards, some of them being...yeah

I had no idea on how to approach doing this, but I've been inspired by Birdie 's awesome Pokemon review threads to give a shot at reviewing shit I love. And now that Duel Links is extremely popular and Link Evolution's western physical release is on the horizon I thought this would be the best time to start.

Considering the amount of ground to cover my idea is to go with each of the ace cards of the most prominent anime characters of each generation of Yu-Gi-Oh!. Basically go character by character reviewing their most recognizable cards.For example: Yugi has a shit ton of recognizable cards, but just to test the waters I will focus on his Dark Magician before jumping to the next card. Once each generation has had all their aces covered, I will move back to square one and start reviewing other cards for each character, for example Yugi´s "Exodia"

So what criteria will my reviews have?

They will focus on:
  • Artwork
  • Usefulness
  • Modern strategies with it
  • Trivia
I would greatly appreciate if you guys give me feedback on my reviews so that I can do a little better each time, as I mentioned, this is my first time writing reviews, and considering english is not my first language, I'm a bit worried about not getting a good structure or presenting my ideas properly. So please, don´t pull any punches!

I feel like this thread belongs in gaming considering the popularity of YGO games on this side of the board as opposed to OT. But if a mod deems this as an Off-Topic thread, please move it accordingly.

It's time to duel!

Last edited:
Dark Magician
OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Dark Magician
Generation 1
: Duel Monsters
User: Yugi Muto

Original Artwork:
51nXKpPjg6L.jpg

Latest Artwork:

Here we go, probably the most iconic card in the game. When you think about Yu-Gi-Oh! this is the card that comes to mind. Yugi's Signature monster is here.

Dark Magician is a level 7, DARK, Spellcaster-type normal monster with 2500 ATK and 2100 DEF. No gimmicks no special abilities, what you see is what you get. "The ultimate wizard in terms of attack and defense".

In terms of design, Dark Magician's armor strikes me as something that I´ve never seen in any other media. It has a lot of uniqueness to it and is the trend setter for almost all "Magician" cards to come. When you see a Magician with that style of armor/staff, you know it's a Yu-Gi-Oh card. Another great element that makes the artwork so great is the Dark Magic circle behind him, the dark magic circle is present in almost all of the card's interpretations and gives a much needed "mystical" element to the art that I feel would be missing if the Dark Magician was there on his own. Which is the reason why I feel the "Stone tablet" artwork is the weakest out of all the Dark Magician artworks. The circle is a much needed ingredient in making this card what it is.

The main problem with Dark Magician´s multiple interpretations is how inconsistently he is portrayed, purple armor one day, then red, blue, black anything goes, same goes for his skin and hair color. From a white purple haired man to a weird blonde zombie with green skin. It's just so inconsistent that I feel it diminishes the idea of him being THE Dark Magician, instead giving the feel that there's multiple Dark Magicians, I kinda hate that. Hilariously enough, the only artwork for this card that reflects the card's lore as an ancient egyptian brown skinned wizard is the one popularized for being an "Evil" version of the card. The version wielded by the antagonist Arkana. Not a good look.

So yeah, while the original artwork was amazing, turning it into one of the cards with the most alternative artworks definetely works against it in my opinion.

As a card...It's sad to say that Dark Magician is not great...Requiring the tribute of 2 of your monsters to summon a 2500 ATK beater with no effects caused him to be immediately outclassed by "Summoned Skull" (Which only requires 1 tribute for the same ATK value) from the moment they were printed together for the first time in "Starter Deck: Yugi"

Fortunately Dark Magician is the single most supported card in the game with 15+ cards specifically stating "Dark Magician" as part of their effect. Dark Magician might not be amazing on his own, but he can definetely work together with other cards to form extremely powerful control plays that always keep a Dark Magician on your field.

Dark Magician also has the option to use the power of Fusion and Xyz summon to combine with other popular monsters and bring out powerful new forms.

Still, Dark Magician is not anywhere near meta-level sadly and it's mostly used as a casual deck, however it can definetely stand up against the most modern strategies and is widely beloved, to the point the cards in the deck are very pricey!

Now some trivia! Dark Magician is the card that started the tradition of having the anime protagonists all have 2500 ATK main cards. A tradition that has been somewhat broken by Gen 6 due to some unforeseen circumstances we´ll get to later.

Overall, a card deserving of being the face of the franchise, even if it hasn´t aged that well on it's own, it's fantastic design and continuous support more than makes up for it.

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
*whispers*Pot of Greed lets me draw 3 additional cards from my deck

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Pot of Greed will happen.

I shall take it upon myself to uncover the mistery of what the hell it does.

It's a mystery for the ages, good thing someone is making the effort to solve it.

And for real I'd have thought Blue Eyes White Dragon was the most popular/famous card and not Dark Magician, but idk.

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Wouldn't this be more of an Etcetera thread?

I thought that given the popularity of YGO games on this side, it would be more relevant here.

But I wrote in the OP that I understand if a mod decides to move it to Etc.

It's a mystery for the ages, good thing someone is making the effort to solve it.

And for real I'd have thought Blue Eyes White Dragon was the most popular/famous card and not Dark Magician, but idk.

They're both equally popular. They're always 1st and 2nd.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Nice thread.

Can I ask where is the best place to play Yu-Gi-Oh online? There's no "official" like Pokemon TCGO, right?

There's 2 games on Steam (Legacy of the Duelist and Duel Links)

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
This is a great idea for a thread! Very entertaining
Dark Magician write up. Hope to see you tackle Red Eyes Black Dragon.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
As a Magic the Gathering fan, I've always been curious about Yugioh. This will be a fun thread to read!

i-hate-u

Oct 25, 2017
The original artwork Dark Magician and Blue eyes are some of the best art of all time on a card.
-5033085387260379131.jpg

Shame the TCG was pushing the tablet versions of both for so long.

i-hate-u

Oct 25, 2017
tumblr_n2p9puW2rd1rnpv40o3_r1_500.gif

5C149EA66C7C4624FFA0461AE531287E2EE6EFE0

He was depicted with the most personality out of the main protagonist's cards in the anime. Love his anime rendition

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
The ultimate wizard in terms of attack and defense! Dark Magician is one of my favourite cards in the TCG and I've built many (terrible) decks around it trying to make it work.

I'm looking forward to more of this thread. Especially when we get into plants.

Wait, are you even doing plants or is this strictly casual/anime popularity only?

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
The original artwork Dark Magician and Blue eyes are some of the best art of all time on a card.
-5033085387260379131.jpg

Shame the TCG was pushing the tablet versions of both for so long.
It had something to do with Konami not having the rights to the artwork. I read about this on the biggest German forum, with a verified insider who works there... I think everything is resolved now since they reprinted the old artworks at some point. I'm unfortunately only able to cite what I remember from ages ago.

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Can't wait for you to cover the greatest archetype in the history of the game, Elemental Heroes.

Still deciding If I should start with Neos or Flame Wingman... Maybe I´ll do an exception and do both. I was already thinking about doing it for Firewall Dragon and Decode Talker given the circumstances...

What Im looking forward the most is covering Firewall Dragon's hilarious trainwreck

Mario Bilo

trying to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Jan 7, 2018
Still deciding If I should start with Neos or Flame Wingman... Maybe I´ll do an exception and do both. I was already thinking about doing it for Firewall Dragon and Decode Talker given the circumstances...

What Im looking forward the most is covering Firewall Dragon's hilarious trainwreck
What about Arc-V? Are you just gonna do Odd-Eyes or will you do Dark Rebellion too?

Serrato

Oct 25, 2017
Montréal, Québec, Canada
I have a Dark Magician Deck, it's pretty strong, nothing meta strong of course but I actually hate that Eternal Soul has such a drawback.
Like did they really need to put this in? there is similar effects in the game that have no such drawback...

Don't get me started on why the fuck is Eye of Timaeus not a searchable card for the archetype.

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I have a Dark Magician Deck, it's pretty strong, nothing meta strong of course but I actually hate that Eternal Soul has such a drawback.
Like did they really need to put this in? there is similar effects in the game that have no such drawback...

Don't get me started on why the fuck is Eye of Timaeus not a searchable card for the archetype.

Because it says "Any "Dark Magician" monster" (That Includes Dark Magician Girl or Skilled Dark Magician) in order to be searchable by the DM support it must specifically mention the card "Dark Magician".

Yes. It's Bullshit.

Serrato

Oct 25, 2017
Montréal, Québec, Canada
Because it says "Any "Dark Magician" monster" (That Includes Dark Magician Girl or Skilled Dark Magician) in order to be searchable by the DM support it must specifically mention the card "Dark Magician".

Yes. It's Bullshit.

I'll never live it down until I get a card that searchs it. And if they could fix Eternal Soul the deck would be... more consistent and playable. I feel.

Jake_brake

Sep 13, 2018
What a cool thread! And I've been thinking alot about the series recently for some reason. Love reading these mockups of og cards, since that's all I really know. I have a hundred or so very old, original cards, but never played competitively. My extent to the series is the anime, and the ps1 "Forbidden Memories." Which, news to me long after playing, wasn't even how the card game was played. That is after season 1 I believe.

Regardless, I still like the series and always liked to just oogle at the cards.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't stand playing Yu-Gi-Oh! as it is currently, but I'll always love looking at the card frames and art - one of the only anime card games that isn't a fucking storm of busy and irritating elements.

Even tho a lot of the art in my opinion suffers for the worse from slapping "idk generic photoshop gradients and patterns" into the art of a lot of the monster cards. Something about the art feels definitely kind of budget, and maybe that's just a retro thing, but I almost kind of love the charm it has.

This is a good thread premise OP :)

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cool thread, but you still take the damage.

(also, I think Blue Eyes beats Dark Magician in popularity... And I wonder if DMG isn't more popular than him as well)

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018
Good write up! Can't wait to see Blue Eyes, the true most iconic card :p

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Dark Magician was one of my first Yu-Gi-Oh cards as I only had money for one of the initial Starter Decks and got Yugi.

I really dislike sickly manga Dark Magician, purple is the way to go.

I'm interested in seeing which characters and cards you consider iconic enough. Will there be a Big Koala appearance?

Deleted member 17952

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Would you explain what Pot of Greed does in detail? I've read the text but I'm still not sure what its effects are.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
This is fine here, plenty of people will be jumping in with the switch game
Nice thread.

Can I ask where is the best place to play Yu-Gi-Oh online? There's no "official" like Pokemon TCGO, right?

There's 2 games on Steam (Legacy of the Duelist and Duel Links)

Well if you have a switch legacy of the duelist link evolution is out in Japan and releasing physically and digitaly in the west this summer

I say do the manga version with Terra Firma instead, the planet series is solid(been working through manga, on Zexal now)

Also looking forward to the western release of legacy of the duelist link evolution. Irony is I've been reading the manga which actually do a pretty good job of explaining the new summoning types, I now actually understand Syncro and xyz and think they are actually pretty cool. It also means I'll be the weirdo trying to run a manga archetype like Planets(I'm sad Ma'at doesn't seem to be in lotdle)

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I thought for sure Exodia would be the first card reviewed.

And no, I wasn't thinking about how Exodia was actually five cards shhh.