• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ballpoint Ren

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I got out of Yugioh by the time Xyz monsters rolled in, so like the beginning of Generation Force, as far as I can remember. Anyway, Lightsworns and Six Samurai were some of my favourite decks to run, but these guys were my main deck for a long time

latest

Blackwings were super fun to play at the time. Great summoning power, lots of ways to swarm your opponent, and a plentiful arsenal of synchro monsters to pick from. Lightsworns had Honest, but Blackwings had Kalut the Moon Shadow.

latest

Best thing about this little guy was that if you had 2 or 3 of them in your hand, you could just stack them for a whopping 4200 boost. Gale the Whirlwind was also great, easily the most intimidating Tuner monster in the game (at least until I stopped).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I got out of Yugioh by the time Xyz monster rolled in, so like the beginning of Generation Force, as far as I can remember. Anyway, Lightsworns and Six Samurai were some of my favourite decks to run, but these guys were my main deck for a long time

latest

Blackwings were super fun to play at the time. Great summoning power, lots of ways to swarm your opponent, and a plentiful arsenal of synchro monsters to pick from. Lightsworns had Honest, but Blackwings had Kalut the Moon Shadow

latest

Best thing about this little guy was that if you had 2 or 3 of them in your hand, you could just stack them for a whopping 4200 boost. Gale the Whirlwind was also great, easily the most intimidating Tuner monster in the game (at least until I stopped).

Blackwing-Armor Master is most definately getting a review over Black Winged Dragon

Azure J

Oct 25, 2017
This thread is fun. I got back into the series with Duel Links on a whim sometime in September/October last year due to the ease of playing again on something modern, but now I'm just frustrated that my favorite archetypes seem to get updates at a snail's pace or aren't being supported at current.

Also since everyone else is doing it, here's some of my favorite cards (and by extension their archetypes)

Dark Magician of Chaos is literally my favorite card in the entire franchise. Great effect (never forget when it first came out how game changingly OP it was), the first prominent "retrain" of a legacy monster and absolutely fantastic aesthetic (it's amazing how much card art can sell me on these things) all came together in the best ways here. As a result, I'm a Dark Magician player since anything that can get me to the DMoC endpoint faster and in theme is always appreciated. It helps that Yugi was my favorite ace and this was prime-time gen 1 YGO. Also have a soft spot for Apprentice Illusion Magician because of the great effects + awesome card art.

I lapsed out of YGO for a while so these are a new add and mostly due to my love of the archetype from my time using it in Duel Links, but High Priestess and World of Prophecy are rad. Would love to eventually build a Spellbooks deck that incorporates both of them at some point, either in DL or maybe the new Legacy game coming soon.

The OG Chaos cards were so cool and I always wanted to reach the point where I could make a deck around them but losing out on the motivation to make physical card play sets due to thefts and just moving into a different phase of my life + the cards essentially living on banlists for quite a number of years made it quite improbable for this to happen. Nowadays with the different digital card games, I've found myself coming back to these guys wondering when they'll be more readily available in the current stuff to play around with.

My only gripe here now is I wish if the BLS-Envoy art was anywhere near as good as the Sacred Soldier variant:

TheCed

Oct 27, 2017
I remember having a lot of Fun with the VWXYZ Parts back then.
Tried them back recently, they aren't as good as I remember.

What will be Chazz/Manjoume's Monster : Armed Dragon LVL10 or the VWXYZ Dragon ?

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica

What will be Chazz/Manjoume's Monster : Armed Dragon LVL10 or the VWXYZ Dragon ?

....No. God help me. No.

Also, the VWXYZ parts might not be as good as you remember, but the new ABC parts are probably better than you can imagine.

TheCed

Oct 27, 2017
....No. God help me. No.

Also, the VWXYZ parts might not be as good as you remember, but the new ABC parts are probably better than you can imagine.
Well, if I want to play the new cards, I feel like I would have to relearn a completely different game right now, also, the amount of effects on cards is intimidating.
Tag Force on my PSP is however still my go to Yu Gi Oh Game

Bakrider

Oct 31, 2017
I wanted to get to Cyber Dragon because I needed to remember the good things before the next one.

Also...Who?
Pretty sure Bastion played Water Dragon.

The theme of his posh deck was chemistry.

Funny enough a Fire Dragon is present in the GX opening yet is never shown in the actual anime.

ranjaboy

Oct 27, 2017
Fj0823
Minor correction: Alexis used Cybers angels only in the anime.
In the manga she used an ice deck.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017

Nah obviously it'll be Light and Darkness Dragon his superior signature card

I'm sorry, Bastion? No clue. Sounds like a total loser
Shrug he runs a cool Yokai deck in the manga

Ojama Yellow
OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Ojama Yellow.
Generation 2
: GX
User: Chazz Princeton

Artwork:
131398.jpg

QzGRKUu.gif

Chazz Princeton was originally presented as a Kaiba to Jaden's Yugi. His older brothers groomed him from an early age to turn him into the ultimate Pro duelist, as they expected that with him as the face of their brand, they would be able to surpass KaibaCorp's influence.

For that reason Chazz boasts some of the most expensive cards and use a different ace on most of his duels. From Infernal Incinerator to VWXYZ Dragon Cattapult Canon to even Armed Dragon level 10.

He eventually finds a place where Duelists go to discard their useless cards and is confronted by the spirit of this....thing who annoys him until he finally breaks and gives it and its brothers a spot in their deck to great results. There's a lesson to be learned here about money not buying everything...But fuck that.

Look at that thing!, the belly, the thong,the lips, the drool, the way it's contorted...it's all disgusting. And yes it's intentionally bad to sell the idea that this is a card people would want to get rid of. But just because it's intended to be awful doesn't make it any less awful.

Ojama Yellow is a level 1, LIGHT, Beast-type monster that works with its slightly less disgusting brothers "Ojama Green" and "Ojama Black"

They have the ability to fuse like most GX monsters.

Their strategy is to use spell cards and traps that work when they're all together, also includes taking over the opponent's field by summoning themselves or "Ojama tokens" to their side of the field. That means Link summoning made that strategy irrelevant.

Ojama got support in the forms of 2 new Ojama and cards that makes combining them with Chazz's machines and dragons possible to have the true Princeton experience

This is my least favorite theme in all of GX.

Trivia time! If you need anymore proof that GX Manga is superior, Chazz's spirit monster and ace there is this:

61PN4ZnSVIL.jpg

Bakrider

Oct 31, 2017
Kind of funny Light End and Dark End Dragon ended up being Synchros in real life yet LADD stayed a regular Effect Monster.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's gotta be Kiryu's Earthbound, the big boi.

God that's one of my favorite monsters.

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
where are the other egypcian gods? and exodia? I thought those were far more popular.

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
where are the other egypcian gods? and exodia? I thought those were far more popular.

I'm doing 1 card per character to keep variety. Otherwise I'd still be stuck on Yugi. Only exception is done for characters with 2 cards that have equal importance

Once I do 1 card for each character of each Gen. I'll start over with different cards.

Rainbow Dragon
OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Rainbow Dragon
Generation 2
User: Jesse Anderson.

Artwork:
latest

A level 10, LIGHT, Dragon Type Effect Monster Jesse came across during the team's adventures. Rainbow Dragon works as the ace card of the "Crystal Beasts", cards that are moved to your Spell zones when destroyed instead of going to the graveyard.

I think Rainbow Dragon is very overdesigned. An it really fails to sell the "Rainbow" theme. It jut has a couple of colorful jewels in its body that get lost in all the wings, spikes, and ornaments. It's just too busy.

Gameplay wise, it's a really strong card that's pretty hard to bring out by itself.it's 4000 ATK and the option to go even higher or nuke the field is great. But if you draw this card before you get the 7 crystal cards, it's the definition of a dead draw.

This card needs Crystal Beasts more than Crystal Beasts need it in my opinion. Support has been released to make it easier to summon but I feel it's just not enough. Even if it makes use of more modern Pendulum cards that have the built in option of being used as both spells or monsters to boost it's strength.

While playing Crystal Beasts is really fun, you're I feel you're going to use 1 of this card or none at all. I'm no Crystal Beasts player so I might be wrong on this one.

Anyways, this card's ATK power and devastating effect is enough to be compared with the Egyptian gods, and a certain upcoming villain card certainly took note of that for her evil schemes.But overall I can't say I'm a fan.

Trivia Time: There's a famous misprint of this card that shows a completely different monster where the art should be.
315062.jpg

Destiny HERO - Plasma
OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Destiny HERO - Plasma
Generation 2
User: Aster Phoenix

Artwork:
latest

14d.png

While Jaden Yuki used his HERO Cards for fun at the Academy, Aster Phoenix ,the son of a murdered card designer who designed many HERO cards, looked in disgust. To him HEROs should be a tool of justice.

Obsessed with finding the Ultimate HERO card his father designed before being killed, Aster toyed with Jaden by using copies of his Elemental HERO much more effectively, and when Jaden finally catches up to him, he drops the games and starts using his real cards. The Destiny HEROs. Jaden didn't know what hit him.

After many adventures, Aster finally finds the last card his father designed, a level 8, DARK, Warrior-Type monster called Plasma.

If you thought Rainbow Dragon is overdesigned then get a load of this guy. I have no idea what's going on with his suit, there's belts, spikes,wings, claws and teeth in every inch of his body....Is that a giant Claw coming out of his ass? What a mess.

As a card though, it's kinda good. It has a pretty steep price but his ability to negate all opponent monster's effects is a godsend against many modern decks. It's low attack value is easily fixable of with its effect of absorbing monsters. I'm no Destiny player, but I'd totally try this guy.

Since this card is a HERO, the support for the card is everything that works with HEROS cards and there's a lot of that.

However for "Destiny" HERO Cards, the support lately focuses on Gen 5's Arc-V version of Aster Phoenix who uses Fusions a lot more than his original counterpart.

So it's not really support that focuses on bringing Plasma, instead it just gives better options than it sometimes.

I really dislike Destiny HEROs as a whole theme, and I think they're the second worst looking HERO cards. Just Shadow the Hedgehog levels of edge. They just lose to Evil HEROs in the edge department.

Trivia Time! In the 4kids version of GX, Aster's father was kidnapped. His body was edited out of the scene.

The last card of Gen 2 for this round of reviews is a really nasty Lady that can't get over a dude....Find out later tonight.

Mario Bilo

trying to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Jan 7, 2018
I used to really hate Aster back in the GX days. But in ArcV he and his deck seemed to be pretty cool and fun to play with. I'm not sure if his Arc V deck is in Duel Links but would be fun to try Dystopia.

Yubel
OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Yubel
Generation 2
User: Herself

Artwork:
latest

Yubel was Jaden's favorite card when he was a kid Wait what? Didn't I just say that he designed Heroes when he was a kid? The fuck?, At some point, Jaden forgot about Yubel, making the card grow resentful towards him. When Jaden and friends crossed over to the world of monsters, she took her chance to enact her revenge, she possesed Jesse Anderson, Jaden's Boyfriend best friend, and turned his Rainbow Dragon into an Evil "Rainbow Dark Dragon"

Yubel eventually summons herself, a level 10, DARK, Fiend-Type Effect Monster, and no matter how many times Jaden defeated her, she always came back with new and more monstruous forms.

Jaden decides to pay the ultimate prize and uses the most powerful fusion spell "Super Polymerization" to fuse his soul with Yubel's so that she won't ever be lonely again and stops her rampage. This episode leaves Jaden severely depressed and him overcoming his depression and dealing with Yubel inside his mind becomes the focus of GX season fou- Wait what? Too Dark for american kids? You're skipping the WHOLE SEASON? Even the duel against Yugi?...Fine. *Ahem* and with the fusion they both lived happily ever after.

I feel like I can't criticize Yubel alone, the Terror and Nightmare forms are parts of who they are. While base Yubel looks like a cardboard cutout of the anime design sheet, I feel the design is strong enough to cause an impression just by standing there, but there is so much more to be done with the design that the boring pose is almost unforgivable, GX sure likes boring poses huh?. Terror Incarnate is the strongest design by far, you immediately focus on the eye between it's shoulders and that looks creepy enough, but then you realize it's head is actually two freaking dragon heads that look straight from hell. Really unsettling which fits a card that's supposed to be "Terror Incarnate"...then she evolves into "Ultimate Nightmare"....And I´m sorry, I just can´t take it seriously. The fucking face in it's chest going "HMPH!" is just so damn hilarious and distracting that I can't even focus on the the dragon heads, or it's reaching claws. A shame because Ultimate Nightmare definately has the better pose that makes it feel more alive. All 3 forms have a background evoking hell, that's pretty metal.

Normally Yubel would need 2 tributes to hit the field, but most players just bring her with "Mystic Tomato" or "Limit Reverse". At that Point, Yubel becomes a wall that will reflect any attack you throw at it, and if your opponent's destroys it with a card effect, her more powerful forms will hit the field. Yubel's downside is that it must keep tributing monsters to stay on the field, which can be a problem.

Nowadays, with effect negation being fairly common, negating Yubel and it's forms and running over them is pretty easy. No support for Yubel has been released as of now.

I like Yubel, it's a cool card with a cool effect that sadly became obsolete as time went on. But it's a memorable card and a reminder of the great GX season 4. Peak GX in my opinion, also it fusing with Jaden made Jaden look waaaaaaay cooler:
latest

Trivia Time! Yubel's body is that of a hermaphrodite, with half of it's body being that of a male human. 4kids edited her body and added a second breast to her appearance, and I believe this need to constantly edit Yubel played a part on the unforgivable sin of skipping season 4. In both Japanese and English, Yubel is played by a woman and has a feminine personality.

We're done with the Gen 2 section!, I'm really glad that you're having fun, I hope you're having as much fun as I am writing these and honing my review skills.

Tomorrow we start Gen 3, my personal favorite. Here we go Acceleration!

Last edited:

i-hate-u

Oct 25, 2017
hqdefault.jpg

One of the best duels in GX. That show was so weird in season 3 and beyond though.

Last edited:

ZangBa

Oct 25, 2017
I like to use Yubel with my Warm Worm mill deck in Duel Links. I love mill decks but they are pretty irrelevant. The Nephthys deck with her is pretty cool.

Junk Warrior
OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Junk Warrior
Generation 3: 5D's
User: Yusei Fudo

Artwork:

We start off Generation 3 with the very first Synchro monster ever created. For those of you who left off before their introduction, Synchro Monsters are summoned from the Extra deck by tributing 1 Tuner-Type Monster and any number of non-Tuner monsters so that their combined levels are equal to the level of the Synchro monster you want to summon.

The lore behind Synchro Summon is that the Tuner monster synchronizes it's energy with the non-tuners, allowing the Synchro monster to manifest.

Like Jaden, Yusei pretty much has 2 Ace Cards, as Junk Warrior serves as Yusei's main monster during most of season 1. Yusei is a pretty poor dude in a land where only criminals and other society's outcasts live, so he has to build his deck by dumpster diving and finding cards the rich people from the neighboring city discard, hence the "Junk" theme on his cards.

Simply put, Junk Warrior's design has an energy that I felt was missing from many GX-era cards. The background is very colorful and evokes high speed, the main theme of 5D's Duels. The monster itself looks so freaking cool, the pose makes it look like he just noticed you mid-flight and turned around to see you, the armor looks like it was made wiith high speed aerodynamic movement in mind, it's robotic fist is clenched and ready for action, the scarf and goggles really sell the idea that this is a robot adventurer wandering at high speeds through some dystopian world. If you're gonna take the risk of introducing a new type of card to a fanbase that's been used to the same kind of cards for years, Junk motherfucking Warrior is how you sell it.

And it's not only it's design, but it's first appeareance too, unlike GX where the fusion of monsters is kind of glossed over and not very dramatic from episode 1 onwards, when Yusei Synchronizes his level 3 Tuner monster "Junk Synchron" and his level 2 "Speed Warrior" to, for the first time ever, Synchro Summon this Level 5, DARK, Warrior-Type Synchro Monster....Well it's treated like a freaking event. Hell, let's look at it:

The music, the sound effects, the animations, everything just oozes a style and energy that is unique to 5D's and Gen 3 much like Gen 1 has it's own kind of flavor. I knew 5D's would be special from that clip alone.

Junk Warrior's 2300 ATK is pretty good for a level 5 monster, and his ability to increase his ATK if low level monsters are on the field perfectly encapsulate Yusei's belief that no card is trash, it just needs the right strategy. Junk Warrior as a card has been pretty much outclassed by many other "Synchro Warriors" that came later to support Yusei's main deck, however a few support cards referencing it have been released here and there

While not nearly as useful like in it's glory days, and burdened by the Link-Era rules limiting Extra Deck Monsters, Junk Warrior remains a 10/10 in my heart.

Trivia Time! This card is the first and last Synchro Monster Yusei summoned in his show.

winstein

Oct 28, 2017
Malaysia
Something I find curious is why Polymerization is glossed over, since that is THE card that enabled Fusion summons, and while it's not as game-changing as Pot of Greed, it was used a lot in the original and GX (and later Arc-V due to its theme).

Also something I wonder is why Tyranno Hassleberry's card is glossed over, as he's not covered alongside Syrus and Chumley's ones. Then again, I am not sure what Tyranno's main card is. I guess it's Super Conductor Tyranno?

Anyway, I agree that Junk Warrior makes for a very strong first impression on Synchro summoning, and it's also explained quite easily. It also made the Extra Deck felt important and not just a Fusion toolbox because Synchro summoning is just more convenient. Only drawback is the limit imposed to the Extra Deck. I do find it curious that Junk Synchron is the only Synchron that is a Warrior-type, while the others are Machine-type. It basically made Junk Synchron able to do things that its counterparts cannot do, like being searched by any of the Warrior search cards.

Thank you for reading.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
This thread is incredible, thank you for the ongoing effort Fj0823 , look forward to each new post.

Deleted member 17952

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's fun comparing Pot of Greed to its equivalents in other card games, which tend to be a lot less busted.

The Magic the Gathering equivalent, Divination, is an unexciting common basically never used in competitive constructed play. There are two key differences. The first and most relevant is that Pot of Greed is effectively free while Divination costs a resource (Mana). The second is that card advantage in Yugioh is incredibly powerful, even moreso than it is in other games.

Image.ashx

The funny thing is that even if Pot of Greed drew 1 card, it would still be broken because it effectively reduces the size of your deck by 1, which means your deck is more consistent.
I'm fairly certain the equivalent of "Pot of Greed" in MTG is "Ancestral Recall"
$

Stardust Dragon
OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Stardust Dragon
Generation 3
: 5D's
User: Yusei Fudo

Original Artwork:
latest

Latest Artwork:

Here it is, the true face of Yu-Gi-Oh!'s 3rd generation.

Where the original YGO dealed with ancient egyptian magic, 5D's treated us to a technological dystopia where the leader of the 1% is obsessed with harnessing the power of ancient Mayan and Inca magic. The Crimson Dragon, a powerful spirit believed to be a manifestation of Quetzalcoatl, senses the dangers looming and chooses five duelist to bestow it's power on so that they can fight the upcoming threats, each dueslits is branded with a mark on their bodies and is destined to find a powerful dragon card in their life. Dragons which represents one of The Crimson Dragon's servants.

Stardust Dragon is the first of these five dragons, 5D's if you will!...I´ll show myself out.

Yusei received his "Stardust Dragon" from his father before being abandoned in the junk town of Satellite, during his childhood he befriended Jack Atlas, a kid who also had found a powerful dragon card and who was born with a weird mark on his right arm. Once they reach their 20's Yusei, Jack and other friends are all part of a gang of duelists all of them dreaming to escape into the city and win status by winning dueling tournaments. Yusei, being a genius mechanic, builds his own "D-Wheel" , a motorcycle-like duel disk that pro duelist use to give the audience more of a spectacle in their duels, which he intends to use to escape into the city. However, after a fallout in their friendship, Jack steals both Yusei's "Stardust Dragon" and the D-Wheel, making his way into the city and quickly becoming the dueling champion and getting the life of luxury and privilege he always wanted.

"Stardust Dragon" becomes the driving force of 5D's as Yusei starts dumpster diving once more to try and build a new bike, escape into the city, and get his card back.

If there's one thing to say about Stardust Dragon's design it's...
tenor.gif

Stardust's enormous head with a really small face that happens to have weird blue lips,shark teeth and that long nose look very weird. But damn if the design doesn't work somehow, The design feels alien, but it makes sense that a creature that just spends it's time flying through space would look different than your average generic dragon. I particularly like the long, bright white wings that take over the sides of the card, while it's purple muscles look like some kind of armor, really awesome!.

The background once again is filled with that 5D's brand energy with a dark space looking background filled with what I think is stardust particles coming from a big Stardust cluster in the bottom. Then Stardust Dragon itself appears to be coming out of the cluster. The pose makes it look like it just flapped it's wings to come out and that it's just casually getting ready to fuck shit up. The Alternate Artwork is just Stardust coming out of the Synchro Summon in it's anime pose, it's not bad looking at all. But I´m more fond of the original art.

As for the game, Stardust Dragon is a level 8, WIND, Dragon-Type Synchro monster...And the single, most impactful card in the way YGO is played since the last decade. Yes, even more so than "Cyber Dragon".

The reason for this is that up to that point players just destroyed whatever the opponent had that was in the way, Opponent has strong monsters? Take a Dark Hole, opponent has good traps? Here's a Heavy Storm. Stardust just took all that and went "That's gonna be a NO from me dawg" as it negates any effect that can destroy cards on the field with by tributing itself....Only to revive at the end of the turn. Old time players where extremely frustrated with a card that made "Just Destroy lol" no longer an option, earning it the nickname of "Bastardust Dragon" among some purist circles. More seasoned players took this as an opportunity to start experimenting with other forms of card removals, bouncing cards back to the hand, return them to the deck, switching control, removing them from play, sending them to the grave, anything but destruction became the norm. Stardust forced players to think beyond just mindlessly destroying stuff and made players better for it. There's going to be several "Impactful" cards on this thread, but Stardust is one of the few with a real, positive,impact.

Stardust displayed the ability to be synchronized even further on new, extremely powerful forms, eventually reaching it's strongest form "Shooting Quasar Dragon" a card that laughs in the face of your (Egyptian) God.

Modern support for Stardust exist

But reality is that Link-era rules limiting extra deck summons made it considerably more difficult to amass the number of Synchro monsters in your field needed to summon it's stronger forms, and as for it's effect, there's far better options to protect your cards now. Still players constntly find new and creative ways to summon it and Shooting Quasar Dragon because it's just that much of a beloved card. One that truly feels like an Ace.

Trivia Time! Stardust Dragon cannot negate the old time classic "Time Wizard"´s destruction effect. Stardust Dragon states that it can negate the activation of an effect that would destroy cards on the field, but at the time of activation "Time Wizard" needs to flip a coin before resolving the effect, since the effect may not destroy cards, Stardust Dragon can´t negate it's activation as there's no certainty that it would destroy any cards.

Last edited:

EMT0

Oct 25, 2017
I stopped playing YGO just before Stardust Dragon dropped, which is a damn shame. I wasn't even playing back then and I have some nostalgia for it