• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mario Bilo

trying to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Jan 7, 2018
That's a shame, that would get over the hump of Link era limiting their options.

Overall, I really don't like Link the era because basically you need links in your decks to do anything. It's way too limiting and doesn't really change the game at all. I really enjoyed the game with Pendelum, where the Pendelum actually empowered all of your decks but you could still play without it. With Links, it's just "if you don't have a link you're screwed". I wonder if and how they'll get nerfed after the new mechanic is introduced.

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
That's a shame, that would get over the hump of Link era limiting their options.

Overall, I really don't like Link the era because basically you need links in your decks to do anything. It's way too limiting and doesn't really change the game at all. I really enjoyed the game with Pendelum, where the Pendelum actually empowered all of your decks but you could still play without it. With Links, it's just "if you don't have a link you're screwed". I wonder if and how they'll get nerfed after the new mechanic is introduced.

dhMeAzK.gif

At best they're a minor annoyance to perform the same combo you did before, at worst they're an enabler making them even more busted

Sephylon, The Ultimate Timelord
OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Sephylon, The Ultimate Timelord
Generation 3
: 5D's
User: Z-One

Artwork:

Probably the least serious review I´ll make, that's how boring this card and character is.

In 5D's season 3, an evil entity sends his minions to destroy all Synchro Cards, deeming them the cause of the world being destroyed in the future (joke's on HIM, the real culprits were clearly Link cards.) Three defeated minions and a cool crossover to the defeat the 4th later. The show ends for American audiences as they also skipped the final battle here. for Japanese audiences the main villain reveals himself to be....Yusei. from the future! ...except even lamer. Z-One is a Yusei fanboy from the future who

*Checks Notes*

....Underwent plastic surgery to look like Yusei and inspire the people of the future to fight against the evil the overuse of Synchros Unleashed...And then

*Squints at notes*

...Turned evil because people realized he was full of bullshit but then they all died so he traveled back in time to prevent Synchros from being cool

So! Sephylon is a level 10, LIGHT, Fairy-Type Effect monster clearly based on the Sephiroth tree and is meant to represent the Jewish/Christian God "Jehovah". What better enemy for season 3's flanderized Godsei than God himself? As a Catholic man, I can only hope He doesn't look this lame. His lower body looks like a dildo, while it's arms and higher body, while really cool looking, don't give me anything remotely similar to the feeling that I´m staring at a god, unlike Gen 3's Nordic Gods (That I hopefully will cover later) or even the Signer Dragons Divine Forms. The chest showing the reflection of a wise old man looks...well, not very cool when you can´t stop thinking of it being an astronaut helmet. It just looks boring and generic overall.

Sephylon is a 4000 ATK juggernaut that can be summoned easily by having 10 monsters in the graveyard, which can be done pretty easily in a deck dedicated to it.

It's effect let's you summon a fairy monster and turn it into an effectless 4000 ATK beater. This effect was intended to be used with the other 10 attributes or emanations of the Sephiroh tree that Z-One uses in the anime....but they were never released....

Until recently!

Yeah! Kabbala Bitch!

Overall a pretty cool deck that FEELS godly even if it doesn´t look like it

Trivia Time!....This one kinda speaks for itself

Generation 3 is done for now!

Now that we approach Gen 4 I have a completely unrelated question....How do you feel about the Star Wars Sequels?

Last edited:

Grimmjow

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gen 4 had some crazy stuff even though the anime wasn't that great. Looking forward to the Utopia and Galaxy Eyes reviews.

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
Utopia was always the most forgettable looking of them imo. Even though I think it looks better than Odd-Eyes/Neos/Firewall

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
I knew the series invented a billion bewildering new summon techniques after I stopped playing but some of these plot snippets embedded in the reviews are making my head spin. The memes were too focused on the motor bikes and neglected to tell the world about the rest of this madness.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I knew the series invented a billion bewildering new summon techniques after I spotted playing but some of these plot snippets embedded in the reviews are making my head spin. The memes were too focused on the motor bikes and neglected to tell the world about the rest of this madness.

Oh my sweet summer child. ZEXAL is coming.

Number 39: Utopia
OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Number 39: Utopia
Generation 4
: ZEXAL
User: Yuma Tsukumo

Original Artwork:
latest

Latest Artwork:

For those just seeing their beautiful black frame for the first time, Xyz Monsters (pronounced Ik-Seez Monsters) are beings summoned to the field by tributing 2 monsters with the same level. Those cards are stacked and placed beneath the Xyz card, and are discarded whenever the the Xyz monster activates it's effect, like ammo for their effects.

Xyz monsters famously have no level, their Black Stars at the opposite side of the card representing a "Rank" instead. This means these monsters are immune to anything involving levels. Fan favorite stall cards like "Gravity Bind" won't save you fom an Xyz monster.

The lore behind them is that they are beings made of antimatter from another dimmension. Sending your equal level monsters through a black hole generates enough energy to bring them to our dimmension.

08de5033139065805ddc81a460fb01e77498d2e3_00.gif

Xyz monsters are some of the most user friendly cards in the game, and their lack of need for Tuners or Polymerization makes them very useful to any deck.

Anyways let´s talk ZEXAL! A young boy named Yuma Tsukumo is seeing how his friend is being bullied by the coolest kid, in school, nicknamed "Shark", the bully eventually manifests some weird energy and produces a card no one has ever seen before "Number 17: Leviathan Dragon". Yuma duels Shark with his terrible deck until suddenly, from the triangular shaped necklace he wears, an amnesiac spirit emerges and presents itself as "Astral" to Yuma, and decides to grant him the power to wield "Number 39: Utopia"

That sounded awfully familiar right? Well get used to it, we're going all JJ Abrams on this bitch, ZEXAL lives of vaguely referencing the superior Duel Monsters with it's themes, designs and events. Clearly this should be named "The Heart of the Cards Awakens". You won't believe who duels who in the final duel! You could even call it...A ceremony!

Rants aside, Astral informs Yuma that his memory and powers were scattered through the world in the form of 100 "Number" cards, extremely powerful Xyz monsters each prone to possesing people and transferring their power to them...and make them go crazy. Astral only kept the power of "Number 39" and thus the hunt for the remainng 99 Numbers begins!

First of all, there's something I need to address. This card's original Japanese name is "Number 39: Hope, The King of Wishes" for the TCG the localization team changed it because and I quote "Hope is a girl's name". They justified saying that a "Utopia" is the wish of most humans, so it fits...somehow. I will not let that Bullshit go without calling it out.

Utopia is a Rank 4, LIGHT, Warrior-Type Xyz Monster with a neat design as far as faceless warriors go, I love the golden armor, I love the swords, and I specially like how all "Numbers" have their respective number somewhere in their body with Utopia having a bright red "39" on his shoulder. The original pose is really iffy, I feel like it makes me focus on the sword instead of the warrior, and it really undersells his wings. The new artwork is miles better and I appreciate adding the little detail of Xyz monsters having their "materials" orbitings as balls of light around them. 2nd Artwork wins this battle over the original easily.

It's effect is nice, whenever a card declares an attack, Utopia can get rid of one of the cards beneath it to stop the attack. If he runs out of cards beneath him, he will self destruct as soon as any card attacks it....A far cry from the crazyness of Stardust Dragon, but still decent enough,

Like Stardust, Utopia can evolve by becoming the material for bigger, badder Xyz monsters. this is usually achieved through the effect of spell cards that "Rank-Up" Utopia into a monster of a higher rank by placing the new monster on top of Utopia's stack

Support for Utopia was good with it lately receiving a cool new forms and spells

Utopia is a GREAT card for beginners that shines in competetive play because you summon it to put "Utopia the Lightning" (Above) on top of him almost immediately for a 5000 ATK powerhouse

Probably the most user friendly main protagonist card for any deck no matter how old or advanced.

Trivia time!
"Numbers" take the form of their first owner's desires. In Yuma's case he wanted to be a protector of his friends

Also, 2 generations later and Konami still hasn't printed or revealed all 100 numbers, as of now, only 95 have been revealed and made into cards

Last edited:

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
looking at these cards i realize more and more just how much of a genwunner i am for yugioh

what the fuck is d/d/d

number 39? doctor gero making duel monsters now?

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
looking at these cards i realize more and more just how much of a genwunner i am for yugioh

what the fuck is d/d/d

Different Dimmension Demons

Same dimmension as D.D. Warrior Lady

Is that the one for which somebody on era posted the lengthy breakdown of the brutal character assassination of a promising female character? And was that write-up also yours? Because I read that too.

That was me. My rant when I reach her card will probably power a truck through the energy of sheer rage.

She's Gen 6 BTW

Last edited:

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Might watch some Yu-Gi-Oh anime this weekend, whats the best gen that isn't Gen 1 with Yugi and co to watch?

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017

what the fuck is d/d/d

Same. I had to learn every new ruleset when Legacy of the Duelist on ps4.

Do the masked hero card ever show up in the anime?

These wound up being the theme I used most. Really fun to be able to transform your monster two or three times a turn.

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, even if we didn't get all the numbers, at least we got clearly the most important one...
Number 50: Blackship of Corn!

Which just felt odd to me when I hit it in the manga. Like, Numbers are supposed to be this huge important thing, and then one of them is... that. Kinda kills any sense of grandeur they might have had. (That said, I haven't seen the anime to know if any of the examples from there do the same thing even worse.)

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
So should I just watch Season 1 and 2 of 5D's if Season 3 is such a mess?

Yup. And as much as I ranted about S3 it's considered a mess because of how good S1 and S2 were.

S3 was just kinda okay. It's far from offensive and it has cool moments. S3 is still higher quality than many following series peak seasons.

Hey, even if we didn't get all the numbers, at least we got clearly the most important one...
Number 50: Blackship of Corn!

Which just felt odd to me when I hit it in the manga. Like, Numbers are supposed to be this huge important thing, and then one of them is... that. Kinda kills any sense of grandeur they might have had. (That said, I haven't seen the anime to know if any of the examples from there do the same thing even worse.)
Number63ShamojiSoldier.png

(There's actually more cool Numbers than uncool ones, but Blackship is far from the worst)

Galaxy-Eyes Photon Dragon
OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Galaxy-Eyes Photon Dragon
Generation 4
User: Kaito Tenjo

Artwork:

latest

Ok so...uhm..
20190524_010403.jpg

...I MIGHT be a little biased here as this is my IRL deck.

Kaito Tenjo is a Number Hunter who wears a coat, has a 3000 ATK Dragon with the theme of Eyes, and is on a mission to rescue his brother Mokuba Haruto. JJ Abrams' Not-Kaiba is here!

257px-Kite-MDDG.png

Thankfully, He and his clearly Not-Blue Eyes escape the stigma of being Kaiba references and he quickly becomes the best character in the show (this is sadly faint praise). Kaito mercilessly hunts whatever poor soul has been possesed by a Number. Using Galaxy-Eyes ,a card designed to defeat Xyz monsters with ease, together with other "Photon" and "Galaxy" cards, he relentlessly attacks and steals the Number they were using, usually with the user's soul still attached to it, he gives no fucks. It's all to save his brother.

Galaxy-Eyes' design is freaking GREAT. First of all let's talk about the background, obviously the universe-sized dragon gets to be in a spacial background, the lines around it makes me think I suddenly caught a glimpse of this majestic beast, the creature design really sells the idea of a creature being made of pure photons, held together by it's armor, in fact,the contrasting dark purple armor only makes it's lit-up "Photon" body pop out even more, and the little red accents work well in giving the armor some detail. The wings are cool AF like condensed beams of light reaching to the very limits of space in the frame. If there is one problem with this creature's artwork is once again the lack of focus on the titular "Galaxy-Eyes" this is supposed to be a Super Shenron tier Dragon, so big that there's galaxies in it's eyes

29z6f87.gif

The artwork not focusing on them, like Blue-Eyes does is too bad.

In the game. Galaxy-Eyes (a level 8, LIGHT, Dragon-Type effect monster) is the ultimate Xyz killer, whenever Galaxy-Eyes attacks or is attacked, it can escape into space by banishing it and the monster it's battling (This is a quick effect! Which means you can also use this effect to in response to traps being activated, allowing you to dodge traps like Mirror Force!). If the monster banished by this effect was an Xyz monster, the cards beneath it will go to the graveyard, and when Galaxy-Eyes makes it's grand return, it will gain 500 ATK for each of those cards. A total beast. Galaxy-Eyes also avoids wasting your normal summon by having a built-in special summoning method, by tributing 2 monsters with 2000 or more Attack, GEPD is special summoned to wreck havoc. This is something the Photon Deck achieves with extreme ease with cards such as "Photon Sanctuary" and "Galaxy Trance"

Kaito eventually learns to use the power of Xyz summon on his Galaxy-Eyes, giving him a myriad of forms with insane attack values. I´m saying 4000 ATK is the FLOOR here. And this is without counting their amazing negation effects.

Galaxy-Eyes is an extremely popular deck, so much that it's the only one of the main ZEXAL character to have received new support last year.

Yes, even brand new, Link support.

Galaxy-Eyes's insanely aggresive strategy that also has room to slow down and focus on defense and negation of your opponent's attacks makes me feel like it's a fair, risk-reward balanced deck, which means its not busted enough to be meta, but damn if it's not fun to run over an Obelisk the Tormentor with a 7000+ ATK. Or swarm the field with 3000 ATK monsters

Galaxy-Eyes lives up to the legacy of the card it was based on and manages to stand on it's own as a great card and a fan favorite.

Trivia Time!

An alternate version of Kaito also appears in Arc-V. However much to my chagrin his Photon/Galaxy cards were replaced by the shittastic "Cipher" cards. His new ace in this version however is a great great card to play with OG Galaxy-Eyes.

I am REALLY having a hard time choosing the next card, as the next character is probably the most inconsistent character in the franchise, both in writing, and his ace cards...

Last edited:
Number 32: Shark Drake
OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Number 32: Shark Drake
Generation 4
User: Shark (Ryoga Kamishiro / Reginald Castle)
Artwork:

Man this was REALLY a tough one, Shark is, in my opinion, probably the worst written male character in this franchise, yes, even worse than Bastion. But during his run through ZEXAL he uses so many ace cards like "Submersible Carrier Aero Shark" "Number 17: Leviathan Dragon" "Black-Ray Lancer" and more. It is for that reason that, despite me really disliking the character, I am forced to do 2 Aces for this guy, based on the show's developments.

257px-Shark-MDDG.png

After being controlled by "Number 17" and defeated by Yuma's "Number 39" Shark leaves the life of a bully and become a full time delinquent. Yuma and Astral reach out to him and talk him into joining their team in the fight for the Numbers, Shark eventually exhibits the power to control a brand new Number "Shark Drake" a Rank 4, WATER, Sea-Serpent Type Xyz Monster. Shark could control a number despite having no protecive magic (Yuma) or Tech (Kaito)...something no normal human should be capable of and that should've raised a few red flags...

Shark is basically Mako Tsunami meets Bakura, he flip-flops from hero to traitor more than Kain from Final Fantasy IV and it's just so frustrating to watch, also his hair is disgusting.

Shark Drake looks like ASS, like a poorly cooked mutant chicken, it's pose is LITERALLY a T-pose with zero effort on it and the background is just a freaking bubble, as far of aces go, this one has the least personality and effort. So let's focus on the superior Shark Drake. When faced in a pretty difficult battle, Shark eventually developed the power to evolve Shark Drake into it's more powerful form "Number C32: Shark Drake Veiss", which again, no normal human should do and should have probably raised a brand new set of red flags.

Veiss looks much more like a submarine alien terror, the bright white looks MUCH better than the poorly cooked chicken color, it's pose is much more majestic and the ocean background is miles better. A total upgrade.

"Shark Drake" becomes a mediocre card the moment you read it's summon requirements, it needs THREE level 4 monsters, however it's effect kinda makes up for it, if Drake destroy a card, he will remove one of the cards beneath it to revive the monster, take 1000 ATK points from it, and attack it again. Talk about overkill. But it really doesn't justify wasting 3 perfectly good monster´s.

"Shark Drake Veiss" has an even worse effect, if your LP is 1000 Veiss can drop to 0 the ATK of an opponent's monster....such a great design for that?

No support for either of these cards has been released as of now, however you can make a fully functional fish deck with this guy's cards.

Shark's eventual complete fall to the Dark Side gave him an incredibly good, meta level card. But I feel like I need to cover Drake as it's the card he uses as a "Hero"

Trivia Time: One of Shark's cards has a pretty shitty pun

Last edited:
Rank-Up-Magic Barian Force, Number 104: Masquerade and Number 101: Silent Honor Ark
OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Rank-Up-Magic Barian's Force
Generation 4
User: The Barians
Artwork:

latest

After Yuma, Shark and Kaito join forces they are able to take down powerful enemies like Throne and Dr. Faker (yeah, seriously), their real enemies reveal themselves to be the Barians, spirits from a dimmension at war with Astral's. The Barian's have the ability to increase the power of their Xyz monsters with "RUM-Barian's Force" a card they use to increase the Rank of their monsters and transform them into darker versions.

Basically, it works like this:

You activate the spell card and this happens,
BigStack.jpg

The artwork for this card is just the emblem of the Barians, but they seem to have taken my advice with "The Seal of Orichalcos" and gave it a far more interesting background, as it looks like the symbol is engraved in a wall and cracking it with it's energy. Well done!

There's many Rank-Up-Magics, 2 of them are even banned because they let you bring out incredibly overpowered Xyz monsters that would normally take lots of resources to summon by just ranking up a lower Rank Xyz.

I needed to flash review this card first so that the other 2 mini-reviews in this post make sense.

Number 104: Masquerade
Generation 4
User: Vector
Artwork:

The evil Barians even have their own Numbers that go over 100! and among them Vector is by far the best villain amidst ZEXAL's mediocrity
latest

Vector poses as Yuma's new classmate and friend "Ray" for most of season 2. "Ray" even gives a copy of a lesser version of "Rank-Up-Magic Barian's Force" among other cards to Yuma, allowing him to Rank-Up Utopia and defeat many of the Barians they encounter. This should have raised MAJOR red flags, but Yuma promised to keep it a secret and dodges questions about the card's origin.

Eventually, Ray gets kidnapped by the evil Vector, Yuma rushes to his aide only to find out the kidnapper and the victim are one and the same. Vector reveals his horrific true form and locks down Yuma by using cards specifically designed to brick a deck that contains the cards he gave Yuma. And he takes the upper hand in the duel with his "Masquerade" as Yuma's friends lose all trust in him because of his lies about the cards. The reveal of Ray's real identity is never foreshadowed, and it took the fans completely by surprise too, it was GREAT. By far ZEXAL's highest point.
e93BMPW.gif

Masquerade is a terrible design, he's just a circus man with wings, sure it's golden armor doesn´t look too bad but there's a distinct lack of personality in this one. The fact that it's "Number" is in the background bothers me, it bothers me a lot.

Masquerade is a Rank 4,LIGHT, Spellcaster-Type Xyz monster that requires 3 level 4 monsters, but damn that's a sweet effect, during the battle phase it can negate an effect and deal 800 damage? Yes please. AND it also sends the top card from the opponent's deck to the grave? That can be a double edged sword, but it's an interesting effect that it could help if you know the opponent's deck won't benefit from having cards in the graveyard.

Vector can use "RUM-Barian Force" to Rank-Up Masquerade into "Number C104: Umbral Horror Masquerade"

So, this card enters the field and destroys a Spell/Trap, then if it was summoned with Masquerade as it's material it gets to negate an opponent's monster effect, send their top card from the deck to the graveyard AND halve the opponent's LP? That's insane!

Unfortunately, the lack of support makes summoning this card incredibly difficult, so it's popularity in the real game is non-existent. Too bad.

Number 101: Silent Honor ARK
Generation 4
User: Shark
Artwork:

ranjaboy I listened to you regarding doing both of his ace cards, so now you have to suffer with me.

While Sharks vows to fight alongisde Yuma and Kaito against the Barian onslaught and loudly claims that he'll never forgive their crimes he comes across a tiny piece of information...*Pulls notes*

Shark actually should've died alongside his sister in a car crash years ago, in fact they actually did die, but they didn't really because they are the reincarnation of the ancient Barian Kings, so they survived but lost all memories of their true identities and powers until his sister suddenly remembers, and that awakens their alien selves. So he now looks like this:
zero-raws_yu-gi-oh_zexal_ii_-_138_tx_1280x720_x264_aac_mp42014-01-27-07h39m56s122_41.png

So he forgets everything he stood for and immediately switches sides...again

1a9.gif

And that's why he has the power to use Numbers and upgrade them! Fuck you! That's your payoff! He receives the power to wield a 100+ number with this transformation, he gets a Rank 4, WATER, Aqua-Type Xyz Monster. Number 101: Silent Honor ARK.

....Anyways, Silent Honor ARK (S.H.ARK get it? GET IT?) has a REALLY cool design like an underwater fortress full of canons, spikes and shields. You know me already and know that I will immediately award it points for having a real background, even if it's a simple bottom of the ocean motiff, I really like S. H. ARK and is probably the only Shark card I can say I'm a fan of. It helps that it was meta when it came out and that I pulled one when it was worth a lot of $$$ lol.

Why is it meta? Because it only requires 2 level 4 monsters and it's effect allows you to detach the cards beneath it to take an opponent's monster and place it beneath it. Cards beneath an Xyz monster are never considered to be cards on the field, just part of the Xyz monster. So this was a brand new way of removing opponent's monsters that players had never faced before, not only that but absorbing the opponent's monster gave it ammo for it´s destruction protection effect. Like Stardust Dragon, it forced players to think outside the box, and create strategies for when this incredibly easy to summon card drops.

Like all other Barians, Shark can use "Rank-Up-Magic" to upgrade Silent Honor into "Number C101: Silent Honor DARK"

It's effect is not that different from regular ARK to be worth the upgrade, ARK was just so good that there was no real way to upgrade it.

Trivia Time!
Fj0823 needed a drink after remembering Shark's storyline.

1 more card to go before Gen 4 is finished!

Last edited:
Superdreadnought Rail Cannon Gustav Max
OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Superdreadnought Rail Cannon Gustav Max
Generation 4
User: Anna Kousuki
Artwork:

latest

Let's end Gen 4 with a BANG!

I really want to include at least a female character in each gen. Sadly, ZEXAL doesn't really gives much focus to it's main female characters, we have Kotori (not-Tea) who does nothing but be a cheerleader and say "Yuma" and Rio (Not-Serenity) Shark's sister who spends a good chunk of the show blindfolded at the hospital. Yes they even do that scene. But later becomes a duelist for the team.

I really liked Rio because when she eventually joins team Yuma she is treated as a powerful asset and she's also a really likeable character....until the reveal that she was an evil alien all along and her also switching sides immediately. I really don't feel like doing ANOTHER Barian Number so I moved down the list to Anna.

latest

Anna is a hiperactive, loud mouthed, knucklehead with the attention span of a rock. She is obsessed with Trains and Cannons and her cards are, of course, trains and cannons. She's not really a main character, and just pops out of nowhere from time to time for hilarity (She does take part in some conflicts though). The "Legendary Duelists: Sisters of the Rose" expansion considered her the main ZEXAL Girl Duelist, so I'm doing the same.

Anna plays with gigantic Level 10 Train cards with hilarious amounts of ATK, but her main strategy is to use 2 level 10's to bring out Gustav Max, a Rank 10, EARTH, Machine -Type Xyz Monster. Gustav Max's artwork is not supposed to be taken seriously, it's just a hilariously oversized canon attached to a train, that's it. It has a detailed background in the middle of the dessert with cool sandstorm details to make the card feel real , I dislike the colors in the cannon, but that's because the card was censored much like "Barrel Dragon" back in the day (Original Art here). A Shame because the original art is even more ridiculous and the "Laser missile" the TCG version added looks completely lame compared to just a big fucking cannon.

Gustav Max can be easily summoned in its deck despite the normally insane "2 level 10 monsters" requirement, and it not only has 3000 ATK but it can also discard one of the cards beneath it for a direct shot of 2000 LP once per turn, that's 2 direct hits for 2000 ATK and a great attack. This card makes you feel like this:
SatisfiedNeatHorseshoecrab-size_restricted.gif

As I mentioned before, this card received support on the "Sister of the Rose" expansion with a new form, new trains, and spells

Train cards are so popular that she even has upcomming Link monster support before the protagonist Yuma!

A really fun card that gives a new meaning to "Overcompensating".

Trivia Time!

This card is clearly based on the Gustav cannons from WWII
GustavGun-252x300.jpg

Generation 4 is DONE!

Now LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, prepare yourself for the absolute insanity (In a good way) that was Gen 5

Shark isn't even that bad...

School Bully>Gang Member>Gets soul snatched>Gets it back>Good guy now!>brainwashed back into bad guy>Good guy again!>evil allien all along.

Nah, man.

Last edited:

TheCed

Oct 27, 2017
We're getting into Arc-V or... where I felt completely disconnected from the game.

To me Synchro was the most fun of all the Extra Deck monsters. Xyz simplified the game too much for my taste but Pendulum were just absurd and I stopped having fun altogether... don't get me started on Link

Bakrider

Oct 31, 2017
This thread is great, I blinked and we're out of the Zexal era.

Think I'll hang in the 5D's era a bit longer.

That is, until the absolute king returns.

Wageta tamashi Redo Demons Doragon!

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
This thread is great, I blinked and we're out of the Zexal era.

Think I'll hang in the 5D's era a bit longer.

That is, until the absolute king returns.

Wageta tamashi Redo Demons Doragon!

Zexal Era was really hard because the only cards that I think stand on their own as truly popular are Utopia and Galaxy-Eyes. Gustav Max too because memes.

That's why there's much less posts about it. Hell, I completely ignored 3 Main villains. I even had to Google what Dr Faker's card was before realizing that if I had to do that, it simply wasn't worth it.

I thought about doing Gagaga Magician and Gagaga Girl but they're just Not-Dark Magician and Not-Dark Magician Girl. So I'll leave them for later.

Arc-V has so many popular cards and characters both new and returning that I actually feel overwhemed and don't know what to pick. The fact that Gen 5 gives love to all what came before makes it even harder.

Edit: That said, I feel Gen 5 has so much variety that it won't be boring if I stretch it out a bit. Though I'm not sure.

Last edited:

TheCed

Oct 27, 2017
Zexal Era was really hard because the only cards that I think stand on their own as truly popular are Utopia and Galaxy-Eyes. Gustav Max too because memes.

That's why there's much less posts about it. Hell, I completely ignored 3 Main villains. I even had to Google what Dr Faker's card was before realizing that if I had to do that, it simply wasn't worth it.

I thought about doing Gagaga Magician and Gagaga Girl but they're just Not-Dark Magician and Not-Dark Magician Girl. So I'll leave them for later.

Arc-V has so many popular cards and characters both new and returning that I actually feel overwhemed and don't know what to pick. The fact that Gen 5 gives love to all what came before makes it even harder.

Edit: That said, I feel Gen 5 has so much variety that it won't be boring if I stretch it out a bit. Though I'm not sure.
Dark Mist, Dyson Sphere, OOPArts where pretty memorable if I remember correctly.

I would love to hear your input on Anime vs Manga Counterparts if you ever want to do it.
Neos V Terra Firma
Stardust V Stardust Spark
Red V Hot Red
BlackRose V Blackrose Moonlight
Etc etc

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Dark Mist, Dyson Sphere, OOPArts where pretty memorable if I remember correctly.

I would love to hear your input on Anime vs Manga Counterparts if you ever want to do it.
Neos V Terra Firma
Stardust V Stardust Spark
Red V Hot Red
BlackRose V Blackrose Moonlight
Etc etc

I refuse to give OOPArts the time of day because they never printed the card that referenced my country.

"Chronomally Costa Rican Stone Ball"

So, fuck them too.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
The Zexal era was the era I dropped out of Yugioh, and a big reason for that was the horrible dub the anime got. I hated all the english openings, and I couldn't stand Yuma's voice. The cards were cool though, with Galaxy Eyes Photon Dragon being my favorite dragon card.

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
That "laser cannon" edit looks more to me like someone jammed a pineapple into the end of a normal cannon or something... That's an exceptionally crap edit, haha.

Cyberninja776

Oct 28, 2017
The Zexal era was the era I dropped out of Yugioh, and a big reason for that was the horrible dub the anime got. I hated all the english openings, and I couldn't stand Yuma's voice. The cards were cool though, with Galaxy Eyes Photon Dragon being my favorite dragon card.

It's where I started watching the anime in Japanese and never looked back. I personally really liked it and would recommend giving it another shot if you get the chance.