• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You are a monster with these write-ups...

I liked what I saw of Zexal more than VRains to be honest.

Arc-V was awesome about till the end. I think the episode with the random pirate captain was where I dropped off.

EMT0

Oct 25, 2017
Arc-V was definitely good up until the end, where it dropped off a cliff because of DSOD. Hell, before they go time-hopping I'd have actually called it great even by non-YGO standards.

Then egao happened

Timegazer Magician & Stargazer Magician
OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
To kickstart Gen 5, our main character Yuya gets not 1, not 2 but 3 cards in a row! These cards are almost always played together during season 1 and hold such a significance to Yuya's character that there really is no other way!

Timegazer Magician
Generation 5
: Arc-V
User: Yuya Sakaki
Artwork:

No, you're not tripping, that IS a half monster, half spell card. Pendulum Monsters are 2 cards in 1! And they're probably the most complicated mechanic in the game, I'll try to keep it as concise as posible.

They go in your normal Deck and can be summoned as monsters normally or you can activate them as continous spells in one of the 2 Pendulum Zones of the field . They have an effect box for their monster effect and a separate one for their spell effect. Their Spell effect box is surrounded by a number called a "Scale". Pendulums that are destroyed never go to the Graveyard, instead, they will go rest on your Extra Deck Face-Up.

When 2 Pendulum cards are face-up on your field as spells, you get access to a once per turn Pendulum Summon, where you can summon as many monsters from your hand or Pendulums in your Extra Deck as you can, as long as their levels are inbetween the 2 "Scales".

The lore being that the magic of 2 spells with different scales will generate energy that will bounce back and forth in between them, like a Pendulum, eventually opening a portal for your monsters to come through.

VibrantDifficultGenet-size_restricted.gif

Insane huh? Pendulums revolutionized the game and added a complexity that was never there before by letting 1 card take on different roles depending on where it's played. Loved by many (myself included) and deeply hated by others, you could consider Pendulums to be "The Last Jedi" of Children's Card Games. (Yes, I went there)

Our protagonist Yuya Sakaki wants to become an "Entertainment Duelist", Duelists whose duels are an exciting show that keeps the audiences engaged and excited, like the Harlem Globetrotters! For that reason Yuya usually plays with cutesy animal circus performers in his deck, such as "Performapal Hip Hippo" and "Performapal Elephammer" all to give some laughs for his audience. Still, deep within Yuya's deck, he keeps some darker cards for when he need to play seriously...When backed into a corner during a duel where his family's honor is on the line, Yuya's pendant radiates energy that transforms those cards into Pendulum Monsters!

The first of which is Timegazer. And I LOVE Timegazer. The design has the evocative "Dark Magician" style that is a staple of the franchise, but it puts it's own unique spin on it, so that it doesn't feel too derivative, which is something ZEXAL suffered from, the black coat and the clock gears as his armor weapon are a really inspired choice, when I heard the name, I expected a not-Time Wizard down to a staff with a clock. Thankfully they went with a much cooler design and a pose that brings attention to his clock gear blade thingy. The background is reminiscent of the 5D's era with a lot of energetic colors in it, and the distorted clocks in it are a GREAT little detail.

Timegazer is a Level 3, Scale 8, DARK, Spellcaster-Type Pendulum Monster. As a monster the card is good enough, a lowish 1200 ATK but with an effect to protect other cards in your pendulum zones, not bad, not great, decent enough for a low level monster.

As a spell, Timegazer has the restriction of lowering it's scale to 4 if the card in the other pendulum zone is not a part of his theme, which is a good way to keep balance and avoid making an effective Pendulum summon too easy to achieve, regardless it will shield any attacking pendulum monster from traps as longs as it's active which is fantastic for pendulum focused decks.

Stargazer Magician
Generation 5
Artwork:

Timegazer's pair to enable Pendulum Summon, Yuya's original Magician became Stargazer when his cards were bathed in the energy of his pendant.

Timegazer's design is a good contrast of Stargazer's, he is white as opposed to Stargazer's Black, he looks more regal and chill, where Time looks way more agressive and immature, and he uses an apparently more defensive weapon. His design gives the impression that he's a more seasoned magician, which can also explain his higher level and stats. I wish the background communicated the "Stars" a bit better,the blue background make them look as sparkles and it's nowhere near as interesting as Timegazer's distorted clocks.

Stargazer is a Level 5, Scale 1, DARK, Spellcaster-Type Pendulum Monster. With a monster effect that let's you immedaitely return to the field a monster that has been bounced to your hand, that is hardly worth his asking price of 1 tribute, but if you can get him out for free through a pendulum summon, it might save you from a nasty bouncing trap.

As a Spell, Stargazer compliments Timegazer by protecting an attacking Pendulum Monster from the effects of spells, a really cool combo that lets you attack in peace.

Trivia Time!
Originally,Pendulum Zones were located at the sides of the field and where essentially additional Spell Zones for Pendulum users only.

This was deemed too powerful and they were nerfed, so now Pendulum Zones are counted towards your 5-Spell/Trap zone limit by having 2 Pendulum/Spell/Trap Zones amongst the 5 .

Next up, Yuya's 2500 ATK ace!

Last edited:

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So uh... As someone who doesn't play yugioh but is vaguely familiar with the rules, how is being able to just dump out all the monsters from your hand when you pendulum summon fair?

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
So uh... As someone who doesn't play yugioh but is vaguely familiar with the rules, how is being able to just dump out all the monsters from your hand when you pendulum summon fair?

Since they all touch the field at the same time, any summon negation or trap that destroys monsters when they are summoned would take them all out making you waste your entire hand if you summoned it all, you also need to match the scales so that the levels of the monsters you want to summon are in between and protect the scales from being destroyed.

Many non pendulum decks dominated the Gen 5 era despite Pendulums existing, it was great and varied, with a couple of hiccups that got swiftly banned.

Pendulums (And all Extra Deck Mechanics really) received a BIG nerf on Gen 6, but that was more to force the new stuff rather than for balance

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Since they all touch the field at the same time, any summon negation or trap that destroys monsters when they are summoned would take them all out making you waste your entire hand if you summoned it all, you also need to match the scales so that the levels of the monsters you want to summon are in between and protect the scales from being destroyed.
That makes sense. So it's basically kept in check by the game's interaction mechanics.

Bagu

Oct 27, 2017
Given that the anime treated it more like a spell card I'm surprised they never retrained Time Wizard as a Pendulum Monster.

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
You are a monster with these write-ups...

I liked what I saw of Zexal more than VRains to be honest.

Arc-V was awesome about till the end. I think the episode with the random pirate captain was where I dropped off.

I´ve had a lot of time off this week. There's no way in hell I'll be as consistent next week lol

Deleted member 2340

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fj0823 i appreciate the work and research you're putting into all these write outs. After reading through 9 pages I am flabbergasted on how you haven't done Ginzo yet.

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Fj0823 i appreciate the work and research you're putting into all these write outs. After reading through 9 pages I am flabbergasted on how you haven't done Ginzo yet.

I'm covering the "Ace Cards" of each Gen first, after that I promised that I would go back to Gen 1 and start over with other popular cards for each character.

Given how many requests for Jinzo I have received, I will most definately do it. And I'll bring my A-game.

Originally I was planning to do either Time Wizard or The Claw of Hermos for Joey. But the people have clearly spoken.

RadioJoNES

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Pendulum scales taking up 2 of the S/T zone makes much more sense.

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm covering the "Ace Cards" of each Gen first, after that I promised that I would go back to Gen 1 and start over with other popular cards for each character.

Given how many requests for Jinzo I have received, I will most definately do it. And I'll bring my A-game.

Originally I was planning to do either Time Wizard or The Claw of Hermos for Joey. But the people have clearly spoken.

Sounds good. Something I'm looking forward to. I fell out with the anime in the middle of the GX series.

Jinzo always was a standout for me because of how unique he was.

Last edited:

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Don Zaloog.

The only card I kept as keepsake for my awesome time with the TCG. The embodiment of my favourite style of deck: control.

Odd-Eyes Pendulum Dragon
OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Odd-Eyes Pendulum Dragon
Generation 5
Original Artwork:

latest

Latest Artwork:

The first of the 4 Dimmensional Dragons is here!

During the Duel where Yuya awakened his cards as Pendulum monsters, his Odd-Eyes Dragon had the most drastic change, becoming "Odd-Eyes Pendulum Dragon" a Level 7, Scale 4, DARK, Dragon-Type Pendulum Monster.

Odd-Eyes Pendulum Dragon has an unfortunate design, it's named after it's heterochromia, where one of it's eyes is green and the other is red...But there's so much shit thrown at this giant chicken that I can barely make out it's eyes, its got horns, there's lights on those horns, it's got spikes, there's spheres on those spikes, it got flat square hands with unevenly distributed fingers, it's chest is another sphere, and there is another sphere in between it's eyes. It's named Odd-Eyes so let me focus on the Odd-Eyes!, The alternate artwork is beter because it makes it's design easier to follow and I like it a lot from the back, but if I'm honest, it's 2nd artwork is the best here. Similar to Red-Eyes 2nd Artwork, this one gives it a bit of an edge and cooler look by having it attack on the art with a darker setting.

Look I don't HATE Odd-Eyes, I actually quite like it, it's supposed to look alien and malformed to make it seem like something that comes from the far reaches of the multiverse, but there's better ways to communicate that messy design that the first pose they went with.The other 2 artworks simply do a much better job at making it´s design understandable.

Odd-Eyes's monster effect allows it to double every damage it inflicts in battle, which is not bad, could even turn out to be game ending against a very weak enemy. It's Spell effect reduces to 0 the damage from battles involving Pendulum Monsters and it can self destruct at the end of the turn to let you search for a new Pendulum monster in your deck with 1500 or less ATK. Since Pendulums go to the Extra Deck when destroyed, Odd-Eyes sets up it's grand return by giving you a Pendulum card so you can Pendulum Summon it later. In the show, Yuya almost always Pendulum Summons Odd-Eyes with the Gazer Magicians

Odd-Eyes cooler feature it's that it's deck allows it to take on the form of Ritual, Fusion, Synchro and Xyz monsters. When I said Pendulum Era gave love to everything that came before, I was not kidding.

It was incredible pulling every single type of summon in the game with a single deck. Specially one that could bring them out so consistently.

Odd-Eyes lately received support in the form of 2 new cards, but it's so recent that it really doesn't need that much support except a good link to play under the new limitations

Odd-Eyes is a great card that was hit with the nerf to Extra Deck summons from Gen 6, but even today it remains really good thanks to it's usage of the Link "Heavymetalfoes Electrumite".

Trivia Time!

Odd-Eyes is a card so important to Yuya that he would even cry when it gets destroyed by battle, as it's original form was a gift from his missing father

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2018
Great reviews. For me these are my favs (I made myself a casual Link Poker Knights deck):
8035cf113d5ddc39045ef942f8041dbf525941a8_00.jpg

Plus the Harpies, the Magician Girls, Black Rose Dragon, Thousand Eyes Restrict, Light and Darkness Dragon and Slifer the Sky Dragon (sorry).

CheeseCrazee

Oct 27, 2017
Really cool thread! I'm having lots of fun looking back at all the great (and not-so-great) iconic monsters.

Personally, I can't wait for the Buster Blader write up. I was always a fan of the card even before he got all the new support.

Dark Rebellion Xyz Dragon
OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Dark Rebellion Xyz Dragon
Generation 5
User: Yuto

Original Artwork:

latest

Latest Artwork:
latest

Ok so the only way to explain why this card is special is to explain the plot of Arc-V. Here I go *Pulls trusty notes* *Inhales*

While most of Arc-V season 1 is centered about Yuya wanting to be the very best like no one ever was, the second best female character in the franchise (Until an unfortunate damseling) Yuzu Hiragi carries the real plot forward by herself, to the point that I'd call her the main character of season 1. After a close encounter with a "Dark Duelist" attacking the students from the LDS Duel Academy, the only academy in the world that gives Fusion, Synchro and Xyz cards to their students (which are otherwise unobtainable), Yuzu finds out this duelist uses insanely powerful Xyz monsters to attack any student of LDS who uses fusions, and also that his face is just like Yuya's.

Yuzu feels like she's going crazy after what she saw, and keeps investigating the matter through season 1. And after a fantastic duel at the climax of season 1 we learn the truth. Arc-V operates in a multiverse. A multiverse where 4 dimensions each with an exclusive type of card (Fusion, Synchro, Xyz and until recently Pendulum) coexist. LDS school found out about this and started giving the cards from other dimmensions to their students for their own agenda...But what's more, the Fusion and Xyz Dimension are currently at war.

In the Arc-V Universe the fusion dimension is based on "Yu-Gi-Oh! GX" but in this version, the Duel Academy became a military training facility with the intention of creating soldiers to invade and conquer new dimmension, the smug bastards of Obelisk Blue on GX become the "Obelisk Force" in this universe, soldiers with masks resembling the egyptian god sent to destroy and conquer other dimensions.

The Obelisk Force took over the Xyz Dimension, based on "Yu-Gi-Oh! ZEXAL" and while in ZEXAL the city of Heartland was a colorful and happy place, in Arc-V it has been burned to the ground, and is the stage of a battle between a resistance led by Arc-V's version of Kaito with our "Dark Duelist" Yuto, and the Obelisk Force, led by a twisted version of Aster Phoenix.

As I mentioned, Yuto has the same face as Yuya and also his own verion of Odd-Eyes, Dark Rebellion Xyz Dragon

Yuto-TFSP.png

Yuto found himself transported to the "Standard Dimmension" (The dimmension where our protagonists live) and believes he is still at war, thus attacking any student using LDS's fusion monsters. Yuto is an extremly strong duelist who focuses on using "Phantom Knights" monsters and traps that summon lots of monsters to the field and then using those monster to bring out his Rank 4, DARK, Dragon-Type Xyz monster. His Dragon and Yuya's share a strange connection, whenever the two are near both the dragons and their users become extremely violent. Each dragon from each dimension is called by fans a "Dimensional Dragon"

The design for Dark Rebellion is just a slick, edgier, more violent looking "Odd-Eyes". Considering the user is a gigantic edgelord, I guess it fits. I like the giant fangs in this thing, the wings are cool but I can't shake off the feeling that this is supposed to be a snake. The arms and legs feel like they don't belong in the design, or maybe that' just me. The background radiating dark energy is awesome, Xehanort approves.

Dark Rebellion has the standard 2500 ATK of a protagonist's ace monster, and it's effect is...well pretty good! by discarding both of the materials beneath it, Dark Rebellion can halve the attack of an opponent's monster and add the substracted value to it's own attack. Really useful to bring down your opponent's beaters, and the asking price of 2 Level 4 monsters is more than acceptable.

During the climax of Arc-V season 1, Yuya, Yuto and a third Yuya alter-ego, Yugo (From the Synchro Dimension based on Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's) face each other, the faceoff end with their dragons reacting and making all three young boys go on a murderous rampage, which results on Yuto being "killed"....with his last breath, Yuto decides to trust Yuya, and gives him his Dark Rebellion Dragon, inadvertedly fusing his soul with Yuya's in the process.

By having 2 Dragons, Yuya's violent episodes start getting more frequent, eventually ending in the creation of this monstrosity:

By using Rebellion and Odd-Eyes as materials for an Xyz summon (This not normally possible), this third Evil personality inside Yuya was able to create a Pendulum Xyz hybrid. This kind of hybrid cards are NOT commonplace in the game and I can count them with my two hands....but lord.
tenor.gif

That shit is game ending!! It's summoned as an Xyz monster, but then as soon as it hits the field it starts behaving as a pendulum monster...crazy, just hilarously crazy.

Yuto's personality eventually starts taking over Yuya when he needs him to, which also results in him using Yuya's body to upgrade his Dragon further with a "Rank-Up-Magic"

Yuto's "Phantom Knights" have received lots of support as he is a pretty popular character, his "Phantom Knights" even got a Link monster recently, and it's one broken motherfucker.

Look, I know this isn't my best review with all that anime BS but the plot of Arc-V is such glorious crazyness that there's no way you can enjoy my reviews of the Dimensional Dragons without knowing about this DC Crisis tier shit.

Overall Xyz Dragon is an amazing monster and one that you should consider using in any deck that needs help taking down some beaters.

Trivia Time!

Yuto's Rank-Up-Magic was recently banned, because it's a quick play card you can activate during the opponent's turn, letting you Rank-Up any Rank4 DARK Xyz into this. Effectively ending your opponent's turn.

This makes "Dark Requiem Xyz Dragon" above pretty much unsummonable unless you are able to get 3 level 5 monsters. You won't be.

Last edited:

Mario Bilo

trying to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Jan 7, 2018
Gen 5 is my favourite gen by far and brought me back to yugioh. Just the versatility of all play styles is amazing and OddEyes underscores this with all his support. Pendulum became more of a gate to future awesome combos as opposed to the end combo itself. Despite how easy it is in theoRy to pendulum summom, though it never became a pendulum spam as opposed to Links.

The anime embracing all the other summoning also was a welcome change

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I gotta say, I dig the latest artwork for Dark Rebellion Dragon. It's a lot more legible than the original art and I like the fighting game boss vibe the monster's pose gives off. You could almost imagine it yelling "RESURRECTION!"

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I gotta say, I dig the latest artwork for Dark Rebellion Dragon. It's a lot more legible than the original art and I like the fighting game boss vibe the monster's pose gives off. You could almost imagine it yelling "RESURRECTION!"

All 4 dragons are much more legible in their latest artwork. It's weird

Clear Wing Synchro Dragon
OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Clear Wing Synchro Dragon
Generation 5
User: Yugo

Original Artwork:

latest

Latest Artwork:
latest

The thid of the Dimensional Dragons, representing Synchro Summon.

In the Synchro Dimension, a young boy named Yugo builds a D-Wheel to ride in his duels along his girlfriend Rin,who happens to look just like Yuzu. They both wish to use to duel their way out of "Common" status and reach the elite society of the "Tops". Due to the shenanigans of the Fusion Dimension, Yugo also ends up in the Standard Dimmension, where he looks really out of place dueling in a motorcycle. Yugo is a happy go lucky jokester who is completely in love with his GF, which causes funny stuff to happen when he eventually encounters Yuzu.

Yugo also has a counterpart to Odd-Eyes and Dark Rebellion, a Level 7, WIND, Dragon-Type Synchro monster called "Clear Wing Synchro Dragon", and much like his other alter-egos, a violent personality takes over him when the Dragons are near each other. During the climax of season 1, Yugo (Under the influence of the Dragons) ends up killing Yuto, and when he comes back to his senses he realizes the Obelisk Force is now invading the standard dimmension causing him to flee into his dimension. In the aftermath, the main character's decide to flee into the Synchro dimension, Yuzu gets separated from the group and ends up with Yugo, who mistakes her for his girlfriend, after that is cleared up, they develop a brotherlike bond and decide to warn the Synchro Dimension's elites who are too far up their asses, about the threat of the Fusion Dimension.

Clear-Wing looks like a spaceship, a FAST spaceship, which makes sense considering he is supposed to be used in high speed duels, I feel like somehow, the design combining all those colors ended up working nicely. Synchro Dragon's wings look made out of crystal and they immediately get your attention, so unlike "Odd-Eyes" this card art does make the main trait of the monster stand oud. The blue armor plays well with the white body, and while I initially wasn't a fan of the black accents around it's body, I've grown to like them, I feel like the card wouldn't look as good without that raccoon tail. My issue is the disgusting hands on this thing, they look like "Facehuggers" from Alien and they trigger me because I HATE those things.

As you can imagine, the second artwork putting those disgusting hands right in front of me makes me hate it, even if the pose is a bit more "High Speed" looking with a much better background coloring.

In the game, Clear Wing was a very competitive option for a while, as it can negate the effects of high-level monsters that activate their effect and destroy them. This makes it able to destroy any non-Xyz boss monster your opponent tries to use against you if they ever activate their effects, it's second effects negates the effect of any monster (regardless of Level/Rank) that targets one of your high level monsters, including Clear Wing himself. Whenever Clear Wing negates and destroys a monster with it's effect, it will add the destroyed monster's ATK value to it's own. Amazing!

During the battles against the dangers of the Synchro Dimension, Yugo and his "Speedroid" cards were not enough to defeat all the threats, so he needs to up the game and Synchronize his Clear Wing even further, creating one of the best Synchro Monsters in this game:

Crystal Wing can negate any monster effect that is activated without Level / Target restrictions like like it's predecessor, and it will also gain ATK equal to the ATK of whatever level 5 or higher monster it battles against, making it only vulnerable to the level-less Xyz monsters. And they fixed it's hands!!!

During the final battle, Yugo is desperately trying to rescue his girlfriend Rin from the clutches of the Fusion Dimension, unfortunately, Yugo falls in battle against our next card, his soul eventually making his way onto Yuya and giving him the power to create a new hybrid monster "Odd-Eyes Wing Dragon"

Look, Clear Wing and Crystal Wing are an AMAZING card that need to be considered when building any deck that can pull out Level 7/8 Synchros, their ability to negate effects can easily fuck over high level monster focused decks. It's an extremely good card.

Trivia Time!

In the manga, Yugo uses his own Synchro/Pendulum version of this monster. "Clear Wing Fast Dragon" which has a green color scheme

Also, the Arc-V manga has a really fucked up ending. Think Oreimo....Or even...Star Wars

Last edited:

EMT0

Oct 25, 2017
Great reviews. For me these are my favs (I made myself a casual Link Poker Knights deck):
8035cf113d5ddc39045ef942f8041dbf525941a8_00.jpg

Plus the Harpies, the Magician Girls, Black Rose Dragon, Thousand Eyes Restrict, Light and Darkness Dragon and Slifer the Sky Dragon (sorry).

I...I'm not alone O: I tried during the Pendulum era, I eventually had to face the music that it was just a very janky Hero deck

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
That wasn't even the biggest issue with Pendulums, minus some interactions with monsters that weren't supposed to be easily summoned from the hand.

The problem was them coming endlessly from the Extra deck. It was only kept in check by needing non-pendulums (usually) to make synchro, Fusions, or tribute summons, and if you made Xyz they'll go to the graveyard instead. That balance is now thrown away completely due to links, which can be made entirely with Pendulums, and are the only way to facilitate summoning more than one from the Extra deck at a time.

Bakrider

Oct 31, 2017
Love Crystal Wing, such a great card.

Sadly Master Rule 4 really hurt that card for me as I used to summon him with Ultimaya Tzolkin.

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Starving Venom Fusion Dragon
Generation 5
User: Yuri

Original Artwork:

latest

Latest Artwork:

The last of the Dimensional Dragons, representing Fusions.

Among the Obelisk Force, one high ranking member is known for his sadism and cruelty. Yuya's Fusion Dimension Alter-Ego, Yuri.
tumblr_oiebxykVCr1rdbnslo3_r1_500.gif

Unlike the other 3 versions of Yuya, Yuri is a completely unrepentant, irredeemable asshole. His jealousy towards Arc-V's version of Alexis Rhodes' talent and popularity turned into a monster...So yeah, he's just a fucking Incel.

Yuri uses a powerful Plant deck "Predaplants" and uses some of the strongest Fusion cards from "Yu-Gi-Oh! GX" such as "Super Polymerization" (and he takes it even further by using his "Ultra Polymerization") to fuse the plants into nightmarish monsters, with his Level 8, DARK, Dragon-Type Fusion Monster being the worst of them all. Yuri actually welcomes the fits of brutality the Dragons cause him, and is set on absorbing his other selves to be "whole again" and get the power of all 4 Dragons. Yuri is responsible for killing and absorbing Yugo in the climax of Arc-V.

While the heroes hop in and out of dimensions gathering support for a fight against the Fusion Dimension, Yuri usually closely follows, sending his troops to find all versions of himself, the 4 versions of Yuzu and destroy any opposition they might come across.

Also there's a bit where he decimates some poor kids using the old "Jaden's shitty friend's cards" from GX I reviewed back in gen 2....And it gave birth to this:

lol, never stops being funny.

Anyways, Fusion Dragon looks terrifying, even more when take a look at it's second artwork (or you watch the clip above) and realize it's made of flytraps, with many many mouths covering it's body, hence "Starving Venom", I like the purple color scheme a lot since it goes well with the purple card frame (as intended). I´m a real fan of it's first artwork where it looks like it's a snake. Then I look at the second artwork and realize it has legs, and just like with Dark Rebellion, I feel this design just works better as a snake-like creature. My main issue with Starving's design is that it takes the weird orbs covering Odd-Eye's body and cranks them to 11. Every inch of Starving Venom has an orb in it. Even it's fucking fingers. I hate that.

Fusion Dragon is merciless once it hits the field, it's fusion materials are extremely easy to obtain, and one way or the other it will screw you over. He enters the field and gains ATK equal to special summoned monster on the opponent's field, if that fails it can copy the effect of an opponent's high level monster, if all that fails, it will nuke the field if it gets destroyed. This card is a true monster in a DARK fusion deck.

Yuri also has the power to upgrade his dragon, fusing into "Greedy Venom Fusion Dragon"

When Yuri eventually falls against Yuya, his soul and Yugo's (whose soul he had previously absorbed) join with Yuya, giving Yuya access to a new hybrid monster...but this reveal a horrific truth about the reason why they and their dragons go into violent frenzy's when they are together...But I´ll save that for later!

Trivia Time!

Yuri uses an "Ancient Gear Deck" to humilliate Alexis Rhodes when he finally confronts her, he calls it the standard deck of any Obelisk Force level student at Duel Academy, and claims she doesn't deserve him using his Predaplant deck. The fact that the Obelisk Force only use Ancient Gears means an even more awful version of Velian Crowler exists in that universe

Last edited:
D/D/D Doom King Armageddon
OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
D/D/D Doom King Armageddon
Generation 5
User: Reiji Akaba

Artwork:

Reiji Akaba, de vicepresident of Leo Corporation and owner of the LDS school takes an interest in Yuya and Pendulum summon the moment he notices them, he spends a good chunk of season 1 testing Yuya and Pendulum summoning until he is ready to replicate the mechanic for his school. Reiji eventually duels Yuya and shocks everyone with his "Different Dimension Demons" (D/D/D), which can consistently use Fusion, Synchro and Xyz. With this combination he is able to destroy Yuya, not before revealling that he now has created his own prototype Pendulum Monsters before mass producing them, thus giving him his classic 3000 ATK rival card. A Level 8, Scale 4, DARK, Fiend-Type Pendulum Monster.

Reiji eventually reveals his true intentions for forming the LDS duel academy and give the students monsters from other dimensions, his plan was to eventually turn the "Leo Duel School (LDS)" into the "Lance Defense Soldiers", among which he chooses the best duelists he comes across in Season 1 (And Sawatari...) as "Lancers", It is the Lancers who fend off the Fusion Invasion at the end of season 1 and escape to find allies in other dimensions.

Reiji might be cold and distant, but his heart is in the right place.

Doom King Armageddon is just an Evangelion minus the arms and legs...I like it's head, but the entire thing where his body is just a giant crystal posing as a torso bother me, it looks like an incomplete creature....but apparently it's not because none of his upgrades ever give him a full body!, the background is hard to make out. Not a good design and by far the least memorable of all the antagonist cards.

Doom King isn't even good, the D/D/D Deck despite being really good and even competitive sometimes doesn´t even use it. It's monster effect let's you add the ATK of one of your destroyed monsters to another one of your monsters, which could work as a way to protect your monsters, however it only lasts for a turn so when it's your turn again the ATK gain is going to be lost. If you destroy onw of your monsters on your turn to get the effect going, then you won´t be able to ATK directly...It's just so restrictive...

It cannot be destroyed by cards that DO NOT target it like Dark Hole or Raigeki, so that's not too bad, But D/D/D has much MUCH better options than this guy.

It's spell effect only gives 800 ATK to a monsters, and its high scale makes you only able to pendulum summon level 5 or higher monsters provided you have a really high scale at the other side of your board.

Doom King also got some hybrid Pendulum monster upgrades that are really good in D/D/D and way better than their original form.

Trivia Time!

D/D/D Monsters are named after historic Kings and Leaders

Alexander, Genghis Khan, Caesar, etc.

Last edited:

Deleted member 35011

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Reading this thread made me try out the steam game even though I don't understand anything post-Synchro(I sort of get XYZ since it's like the same thing without tuners sorta-ish, just don't know the combos yet)

I realized that a way to make VSing the AI really fun is to use nothing but cards from my childhood to go through the later campaigns(uh had to cheat to get the cards accessible but whatever).

I feel like a character in a Yugioh series going "WHAT IS THAT CARD? I NEVER HEARD OF IT" and being super outmatched by it. I technically watched it up to 5Ds, but GX feels like childhood to me so I'm trying to Power Bond Cyber Dragon my way through the campaigns. This wouldn't be difficult if I used the NEW cyber dragon support cards because they are rad. Instead I'm just sort of...uhhh yeah.

LET'S GOOOO

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Really loved the ARC-V anime and of course the Pendulum too. Lots of cool archetypes there.
It used the other summoning method as dimensions and so tons of old cards got a lot of love.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
So...for those of you who know about ArcV

Should I do the guest character from other series's cards? Cause I'm really leaning towards "No"

I was thinking doing Sora + Shun, Yuzu + Selena and then jump straight to Z-Arc

I feel like Reiji didn't really have an Ace monster in the traditional sense

I agree, but it's the card he was always flaunting in the Openings

Mario Bilo

trying to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Jan 7, 2018

Should I do the guest character from other series's cards? Cause I'm really leaning towards "No"

I wouldn't do Z-Arc, to be honest. Cause he lasted like 8 episodes and his card was hilariously broken in the anime. I would add Gong to Sora and Shun and Yuzu and Selena. Maybe Dennis, but that's kinda stretching it.

I wouldn't do the other series character's again. You pretty much covered their changed decks in their individual write up.

Cyberninja776

Oct 28, 2017

If you don't want to cover the guests, then I say there is no need that plus I think it's more interesting to cover the main characters in general.

EMT0

Oct 25, 2017

I agree, but it's the card he was always flaunting in the Openings

Z-Arc who? I'm glad I skipped the end of Arc-V, lol. I heard stories and that was enough. I'd rather see the Academia Ancient Gear deck get covered tbh

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Z-Arc who? I'm glad I skipped the end of Arc-V, lol. I heard stories and that was enough. I'd rather see the Academia Ancient Gear deck get covered tbh

Look I really like Arc-V, but yeah. The ending is rough. Not super terrible, but certainly not good.

All I can say is that there's a reason why Kingdom Hearts II's ending didn't stick.

In case you're wondering, this is how I would rate Yu-Gi-Oh! Shows.

unknown.png

And before you ask, 5D's had 1 mediocre season. OG had FIVE. (Virtual World, Virtual World redux, Waking the Dragons, Grand Championship and the Egyptian arc minus the final duels)

Oct 25, 2017
Look I really like Arc-V, but yeah. The ending is rough. Not super terrible, but certainly not good.

All I can say is that there's a reason why Kingdom Hearts II's ending didn't stick.

unknown.png

And before you ask, 5D's had 1 mediocre season. OG had FIVE. (Virtual World, Virtual World redux, Waking the Dragons, Grand Championship and the Egyptian arc minus the final duels)
I can't argue with this although I have a bias for Gx for some odd reason idky so I put it on Og level

EMT0

Oct 25, 2017

unknown.png

I agree with the tier list, more or less. I didn't like 5D's dystopic setting and most of its cast to begin with, it felt edgy and silly when I first saw it. I enjoyed it a lot more in Arc-V when I came to terms with what it was. I'd drop it down to the same tier as Arc-V, and drop GX/ Zexal one each, personally. But I'm highly biased because Arc-V has my favorite duel of the series, Shun vs. Sora Round 1.

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I agree with the tier list, more or less. I didn't like 5D's dystopic setting and most of its cast to begin with, it felt edgy and silly when I first saw it. I enjoyed it a lot more in Arc-V when I came to terms with what it was. I'd drop it down to the same tier as Arc-V, and drop GX/ Zexal one each, personally. But I'm highly biased because Arc-V has my favorite duel of the series, Shun vs. Sora Round 1.

Shun vs Sora is EASILY one of the best duels in the franchise's history.

Edit: Shit, I forgot Rank fucking 13 and Rank 0 were a thing in Zexal's ending...That was some stong drugs the writers were doing.

CielYoshi I skipped Don Thousand because...who cares about Don Thousand? Vector and Shark are the true final villains.

Last edited:

CielYoshi

May 10, 2018
Santiago, Chile
I see you glossed over Zexal's final opponent...as ridiculous as Zarc is, at least it more or less works as a normal card...

NumberiC1000NumeroniusNumeronia-JP-Anime-ZX.png

I'll just leave this here without any context...

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
5D's loses MAJOR POINTS for me because of the sheer...ineptitude? of how they handle the post-Dark Signers arc.

I mean it's not common for certain characters to fade out in later seasons, but usually there's a slow build-up to them becoming less common---Rally and all of Yusei's friends legit disappear. Like, completely. There's a small cameo I think, but they're entirely erased. It's so jarring to this day I don't get it.

I mean there was the cult shit Carly's VA was involved in which seemed to screw things up, but why were the characters Yusei was motivated to save just dropped?

At least Misawa disappearing from GX was worked up from Season 2 and turned into part of his character in a wink-and-nod way, Rally and co. didn't even get that.

CielYoshi

May 10, 2018
Santiago, Chile
Yeah, as cool as the final duels in 5D's are, I cannot rewatch past the Dark Signers arc due to how steep is the drop in story quality (but I do have a soft spot for the Crashtown mini-arc)