• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I feel like I'm more pissed at characters getting flat out character assasinated than just dissapearing.

Like what they did to Mai Valentine,and continue doing to Blue Angel....yeesh

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I know you disagree but honestly I think anime Manjoume has one of my favorite character arcs in the entire series.

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I know you disagree but honestly I think anime Manjoume has one of my favorite character arcs in the entire series.

I don't disagree, I just really dislike Ojamas

It's way more fun watching the Manjoumes of the series than the Johan/Crow/Soulburners

Edit: Birdie If there is a redeeming quality of VRAINS, it's Revolver and Spectre

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yo I see your issue with Blue Angel, and that reminds me...

Spectre is a motherfucking freak in VRAINS and I love it.

i-hate-u

Oct 25, 2017
Original Yugioh will never be topped. The real conundrum is GX and 5D's. GX had a mediocre start but finished strong, and vice-versa for 5D's. Had 5D's kept its momentum after the dark signers arc, it could have been up there with the OG series. GX has some really boring duels and really uninteresting characters namely this donkey:
84632.jpg

but them Heroes man, they're so cool. Judai has probably the best deck out of him, Yugi and Yusei.

Nickgia

Dec 30, 2017
Original Yugioh will never be topped. The real conundrum is GX and 5D's. GX had a mediocre start but finished strong, and vice-versa for 5D's. Had 5D's kept its momentum after the dark signers arc, it could have been up there with the OG series. GX has some really boring duels and really uninteresting characters namely this donkey:
84632.jpg

but them Heroes man, they're so cool. Judai has probably the best deck out of him, Yugi and Yusei.
Season 4 GX is seriously the best of Yugioh. While Sho sucks from seasons 1-3 he has a great conclusion in the 4th season. Actually, all the main characters have good to great arcs and really shows how they all have grown. I disagree about the OG anime because some duels last 6 episodes with so much filler and flashbacks to really stretch them.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I always like to remind folks GX ended with Judai literally dueling the goat-head devil.

Nickgia

Dec 30, 2017
Also Zexal is not as bad as everyone says it is and Arc-V is way worse than everyone says it is. Fight me.
I always like to remind folks GX ended with Judai literally dueling the goat-head devil.
Which makes it so good.That and the constant dueling of a Matrix bad guy knockoff.

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
All this talk of side characters and nobody mentions when ancient Egyptian Grandpa sacrifices himself to summon Exodia against Zorc?

I loved that the final og season went full fantasy with all the monster summoning and magic. Chasing thief king Bakura on a horse with Slifer following is hilarious to me.

But really, I appreciated GX attempted to kind of move away from the ancient magic thing. 5Ds leans back into it again, but nothing can surpass the og for me. The Egyptian theme for all the cards made it feel fun, plus I love when children's toys are actually ancient instruments of death. Best anime trope.

i-hate-u

Oct 25, 2017
Season 4 GX is seriously the best of Yugioh. While Sho sucks from seasons 1-3 he has a great conclusion in the 4th season. Actually, all the main characters have good to great arcs and really shows how they all have grown. I disagree about the OG anime because some duels last 6 episodes with so much filler and flashbacks to really stretch them.
Sho actually becomes better in Season 3, but he is so insufferable in the first 2 seasons and a half. Thank GOD for them putting in Dino dude to balance out baby-blue hair boy.
I don't really judge the quality of duels in the OG series too harshly, it's unfair imo. Everything else in terms interesting stories and characters are better in the original.
All this talk of side characters and nobody mentions when ancient Egyptian Grandpa sacrifices himself to summon Exodia against Zorc?

I loved that the final og season went full fantasy with all the monster summoning and magic. Chasing thief king Bakura on a horse with Slifer following is hilarious to me.

But really, I appreciated GX attempted to kind of move away from the ancient magic thing. 5Ds leans back into it again, but nothing can surpass the og for me. The Egyptian theme for all the cards made it feel fun, plus I love when children's toys are actually ancient instruments of death. Best anime trope.
And the villains. The villains made the show. Pegasus, Marik and Bakura. The original just had some outstanding antagonists.
Pegasus landed such an impression from the first episode he was in:
SerpentineNimbleBoutu-max-1mb.gif

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
I mean they do make him kinda of a joke, but they do redeem him halfway through.
Dude beats pretty much everyone in the academy when that light arc was going on and beats both Aster and Jaden in their final matches using Ojamas, what a champ. Kaiba is dope and all, but the sad thing is that he has no legit win against Yugi.

Chazz it up!

Aly

Oct 27, 2017

OG duels were the best because its the only place time where shooting turtles at the moon was a strategy. Seriously season1 with all the cheating and nonsense was amazing.

Raidraptor-Rise Falcon & Frightfur Bear
OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Raidraptor- Rise Falcon
Generation 5: Arc-V
User: Shun Kurosaki

Artwork:
latest

Yuto is not the only survivor of the Xyz dimension who found his way into the standard dimmension, his comrade in arms, Shun also found himself in Maiami City. Desperate to find his sister Ruri (Who looks exactly like Yuzu) wastes no time and starts attacking Fusion users even more mercilessly than Yuto...that is until he is confronted by Reiji, who offers him a deal, Work with him to uncover the plans of the fusion dimension before it's too late and he will help him find Yuto and Ruri.

Kurosaki agrees, and enters the Maiami City Duel tournament looking to expose the agents of the fusion dimension Reiji suspects walk among the citizens. To that end, Shun uses an extremely powerful Xyz deck "RaidRaptors" with his signature card being a Rank 4, DARK, Winged Beast Type Xyz monster. "Rise Falcon"

I really dislike the look of Raidraptors as a whole, the gigantic bodies full of weapons and the minuscule heads remids of the worst Digimon designs, the background on this one is too messy and filled with flashy distracting lights and for all the weapons it has, it really looks unintimidating. There's much more intimidating Raidraptors than Shun's ace

This card asks for 3 Level 4 monsters, but the raid raptor deck can bring them out so consistently that it's no biggie, and this card's effect is incredibly good! It can take the attack of 1 of your opponent's special summoned monsters and then attack all of your opponent's special summoned monsters! great way to beat your way out of a swarm. It's high defense makes it useful if you need to slow down for a bit, and the card has access to be ranked up into new forms.

Raidraptors are very popular and have received recent link support.

Great deck, consistent and with new support...what's not to love? Oh yeah...the dumb designs.

Frightfur Bear
User: Sora Shi'uin

Artwork:
latest

In early season 1, Yuya and Yuzu come across a kid obsessed with eating candy, Sora. While somewhat mysterious and apparently knowing more than he appears to, Sora is still just a little kid. He forms a bond with the main characters and even duels Yuya, where he shows them his ability to fusion summon cutesy stuffed animals such as "Fluffal Bear" with a pair of evil scisso-....err...lightsabers? To form Nightmarish mutilated stuffed animals. His favorite being a level 6, DARK, Fiend-Type Fusion Monster, "Frightfur Bear"

Sora even goes as far as to teach Yuzu how to use fusions to give her the upper hand in duels against her rival Masumi for the grand tournament qualifiers, all in all, Sora seems like a good friend....Until a fated night during the tournament where he is faced with Shun.

Shun keeps pushing Sora against the wall in an absolutely fantastic duel, where Shun finally breaks his bluffs and exposes him to the world. Sora was an agent for the Obelisk force, the first to arrive at the standard dimmension and tasked with recon duty. Sora reveals his true nature as a literal child Nazi. The duel reaches unheard levels of tension with Sora going full psychopath on Shun. This Duel is probably a top 10 duel in the franchise. No joke.

During the Lancers first encounter with the fusion Dimmension, It's Yuya who confronts Sora, in another great duel where Yuya manages to control "Odd-Eyes Rebellion Dragon" agains't Sora's best fusions, the duel ends in a stalemate and both Yuya and Sora flee to their respective teams. Sora starts regretting his betrayal shortly after he goes back to the Academy, where he realizes he's been treated like shit compared to the time he spent with Yuya and Yuzu.

Frightfur bear is probably the least creepy of the frightfurs, but it's cool none the less, I feel like the evil eyes are not really needed and a gaping mouth would be more effective in the creepy factor. Not much to say about this one other than I like the idea behind them. Oh! I liked the "ripped and stitched" looking dark background, it's fitting.

Frightfur Bear is also the least good of the frightfurs, with cards such as Frightfur Tiger or Frighfur Wolf, a card that gets 1000 ATK when it destroys an opponent's monster is never going to be your first option.

Trivia time!

Man Shun was fucking destroyed by the writers huh?. Poor guy...He deserved happiness. It's not nice getting the Trunks treatment.

Last edited:

LordBaztion

Oct 27, 2017
Lima Perú
not so long ago I marathoned GX and it does deliver in the last 2 seasons. The arc from 3 to 4 is great. I would say the third season is better because it has a story that progresses and makes the characters grow, while 4 closes what 3 started. The fourth season has some of the best duels in the series (Axel Brody/Trueman, Cyrus/the psichic guy, Chazz/Aster) but the villian comes and goes as nothing, the concept behind is great, but not the execution.
GX is still my favorite series.

Man, 5D is about peruvian dragons. I need to watch that shit.

Last edited:

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Just wanted to drop by to say that this Thread made me wanna try a Plant based Aki (5D's) deck.

Even tough im not totally done building it, it's starting to be a lot of fun!

So thanks for this OP! There's quite a lot I want to try doing in the future!

Nov 2, 2017
Ahh, Frightfurs, my favorite deck of all time. Just really resonated with me on a lot of levels and I liked Sora a lot too as well.

Too bad that Master Rule 4 happened. Admittedly they weren't as gutted as some other decks thanks to Saber Tooth existing, but still it's a shame.

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just wanted to drop by to say that this Thread made me wanna try a Plant based Aki (5D's) deck.

Even tough im not totally done building it, it's starting to be a lot of fun!

So thanks for this OP! There's quite a lot I want to try doing in the future!

I'm struggling to find a good build

Bloom Diva the Melodious Choir
OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Bloom Diva the Melodious Choir
User: Yuzu Hiragi

Artwork:
latest

Yuzu is, no joke, one of my favorite female characters in the franchise. Like I've said in the Gen 5 reviews, she pretty much carries the plot of season 1 up to the tournament. She gets her own rival to fight Masumi , and actively looks to improve her deck, for example when asking Sora to teach her fusion summon. And she has genuine romantic chemistry with Yuya....

I really love her,
0014dd185e463db6f1baca121a51508baec9ba9f_00.gif

But then Konami decided that they didn't want to print anymore "Melodious" cards and as such after a monumental defeat at the Synchro Dimension in Season 2, Yuzu never duels again, instead it's revealed that she and her alter egos are the key to a strange power that allows dimension hopping. From that point on...Yuzu and her other selves become Pokémon to collect...and the conclusion to that plot point is frankly insulting. And I say this as someone who really loves Arc-V.

Even in that setting, Yuzu remains fun and lovable through the whole show. Yes, even at it's worse.

Her "Melodious" cards focus on stall. And stalling big time. They'll get a field of unkillable monsters that are inmune to anything pretty fast if you build the deck right. And their boss monster is a Level 6, LIGHT, Fairy-Type Fusion Monster, Bloom Diva.

Bloom Diva's design is just a moe blob coming out of a rose that really undersells how cool looking her other Melodious Divas are.
And it also fails to to have to showcase the same "musical" theme she's supposed to have compared to the other Melodious. She's just a moe blob in a rose. She fails to continue the cool looking trend of her materials.

Bloom Diva is a stalling beast though, it cannot be destroyed by card effects or by battle, there's no damage if she gets attacked and she bounces the damage back to the opponent so it also has offensive capabilities. WHY IS THIS THEME NOT GETTING MORE LOVE?

Even the "Sisters of the Rose" expansion ignored supporting her cards, choosing to give support to our next lady. Still, Melodious is by far my favorite theme out of all the female characters. It's a crime it's not supported.

Trivia Time!

Hey if you think the Anime did it bad at least it's not the recently finished Manga (completely different plot). Where after 42 chapters of flirting Yuzu finally tells Yuya she loves him....Only for him to play dumb and say he can't for some reason but he guarantees they will meet again. And he gives her his favorite card.

It's revealed that Yuya came from the future and Yuzu is YUYA'S MOTHER (despite Yuya having a mother, Yoko, in the anime). AND HE STILL FLIRTED WITH HER. THIS ALL HAPPENS IN THE SPAN OF THE LAST 4 PAGES.

Manga ends with Yuzu meeting a young Yuya's father and taking him as a rebound because he reminds her of Yuya.

The memes were amazing.

My girl can't catch a break...

Last edited:

EMT0

Oct 25, 2017
Trivia Time!

Hey if you think the Anime did it bad at least it's not the recently finished Manga (completely different plot). Where after 42 chapters of flirting Yuzu finally tells Yuya she loves him....Only for him to play dumb and say he can't for some reason but he guarantees they will meet again. And he gives her his favorite card.

It's revealed that Yuya came from the future and Yuzu is YUYA'S MOTHER (despite Yuya having a mother, Yoko, in the anime). AND HE STILL FLIRTED WITH HER. THIS ALL HAPPENS IN THE SPAN OF THE LAST 4 PAGES.

Manga ends with Yuzu meeting a young Yuya's father and taking him as a rebound because he reminds her of Yuya.

The memes were amazing.

My girl can't catch a break...

giphy.gif

What

OtakuCoder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Okay, your joke was very funny, but how did the Arc-V manga really end? That's not what actually happens...

...right?

Lunalight Cat Dancer
OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Lunalight Cat Dancer
User: Selena

Artwork:
latest

During the fusion invasion at the end of season 1, A certain member of the lesser "Slifer Force" is present. Selena,Yuzu's Fusion alter-ego, who has had doubts about he fusion dimensions methods from day 1.

After an encounter with Yuzu, they decide to switch places to understand each other better (yeah like Lindsay Lohan). Selena joins the Lancers and decides to fight against the Obelisk Force, while Yuzu escapes with Yugo's help into the Synchro dimension.

Selena is a respected member of the Lancers with her no-nonsense, serious demeanor that hides a heart of gold. She uses a harpie-inspired animal lady deck called "Lunalights"

Lunalights use Fusion monsters as their main strategy, but also have access to Pendulum summoning as Reiji fabricated cards to upgrade most of his lancer's deck. Selena's go to card is a level 7, DARK, Beast Warrior-Type Fusion Monster with a knack for relentless attacks.

Cat Dancer is fun, colorful, sexy and radiates an exotic feel that I really like.
giphy.gif

The art has a detailed, actually beautiful, background that puts the lunar light in "Lunalight". I really like pretty much everything about this design.

Cat Dancer attacks non stop, she can attack all monsters the opponent's controls twice each, the first time she will not destroy them, but every time she battles your opponent takes an additional 100 Damage. This catgirl is so hot it burns!....I'll see myself out.

Lunalights received lots of support on the "Sisters of the Rose" Expansion this year and is a really popular deck.

Selena is another lovable character with a fantastic deck and memorable character moments...which makes her fate even more infuriating. And I'll go into detail about that later tonight when we get to the final card of Gen 5.

Trivia Time!

The only 2 woman I know who play YGO here play with Lunalights.

Last edited:

Farrac

Nov 3, 2017
Alcalá de Henares, Spain
Oh, god, how did I miss this thread for a whole week?! So many things I could have said!

I've been using Blackwings essentially since they came out but a few years ago I started using Fluffals and Yang Zing. Those are some majestic drag-I mean wyrms.

Thankfully, it seems I'm just in time for our favourite battle royale dragon.

Also, I don't think VRAINS is thaaaaaaat bad. It's mostly just poorly executed and bland, and low budget. But it has Revolver. And Spectre. And sometimes Ghost Girl is cool. And I kind of liked Lightning.

I'm actually excited for next season. Roboppy FTW.

Supreme King Z-ARC
OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Supreme King Z-ARC
User: Zarc

Artwork:
ac37b0a5ba4064326c64598df3bd18cc8d45f569_00.jpg

It was really bold of Konami to create a card that combines all the previous mechanics into a new one at the tail end of a show, but Integration Summon has opened lots of possibilities....*pffft* I'm just messing with you.

This is the real TCG card:
latest

After Yuya defeats Yuri and fuses the souls of all 4 of his alter egos within his body, they finally confront the leader of the fusion dimension who turns out to be...A misguided good guy. Who claims he's trying to return the world to one single dimension as it's supposed to be.

You see, in the beginning there was only one dimension, in this dimension, a nice dude named Zarc became an entertaining duelist just like Yuya, he had all 4 of the Dimensional Dragons in his deck and really liked making people happy with his dueling, he and his love interest,a girl Duelist named Ray, designed Pendulum summoning together but they never got a chance to use it.

Turns out, audiences in that world started demanding Zarc to be a sadistic prick in his duels, being more entertained with bloodshed than with his performances. Their insistence to have Zarc always go further in his cruelty, Zarc's own insecurity and the influence of the dragons drove him insane. He started using his Dragons to kill for fun and became a monster. Eventually the Dragons transform Zarc into one of their own, their King.

With a heavy heart, his girl friend Ray designs 4 cards to finally defeat him in a duel. The power of this spells coupled with the power of the Dragons shattered the universe in 4. Ray and Zarc, being at the center of all, also got split in 4. And led new lives in each of the created dimensions.

The Profesor wants to prevent Zarc from awakening again...And to that end created a fascist regime that conquers, kills and traps other people into cards...yeah

So what do the Lancers do with this information?
tenor.gif

Zarc begins to awaken inside Yuya. So the Profesor puts all 4 of the girls, Ruri, Rin,Yuzu and Selena in a machine that should replicate Ray's original spells and suppress Zarc....or something like that...I dunno.

So the 4 girls pass out AND DISINTEGRATE in the machine without ever having a closure to their storylines, hell we literally just saved Ruri and Rin at that point!!

While the waifu machine absorbs the girls the whole cast fights against Yuya/Zarc in a really cool battle. They all do their best to slow him down...Until Zarc fully takes over Yuya and summons his Dragon form....A Fusion/Synchro/Xyz Pendulum monster. Supreme King Dragon Z-ARC. Which was adapted to the TCG as a level 12, Dark, Dragon-Type Fusion/Pendulum monster.

Zarc has a fucking awful design. Everything was crotch. It's head is so small that it doesn't have an expression at all. I have NO idea how those wings even work and the little hands are just hilarious. This is peak "Trying too hard". Even the background is awful and uninspired. Z-ARC might be one of the worst Dragon designs ,period. But there is a godly aura on it that makes me like...I really don't know why...maybe it's own ridiculousness makes it fun?

As a card, Z-ARc is your new god. His insane fusion summon requirements are easily danced around by using Zarc's true form of Timegazer and Stargazer (the latter had to be banned) to bring him out with a bit more ease. He enters the field,nukes it and then is immune to everything that destroys or targets it and when it destroys a monster it can summon a powered up version of the Dimensional Dragons

Which are also so stupid OP that the fusion one got banned.

And if you somehow get rid of it and destroy it, it will go to the Pendulum Zone and as a Spell it will negate your Extra Deck summons while also destroying cards you add to your hand.

This is like if the egyptian gods where actually printed with their anime effect. The only reason this card is untouched by a list is because how hard it is to summon, but it's deck could easily bring him out before getting nerfed into Oblivion is because the deck could do more damage by playing fast instead of setting him up.

I should know. I played that deck before it was decimated :)

Trivia time!

When Yuya eventually gets control back and defeats Zarc for his body, he embarks on a quest to find Yuzu....by dueling all the characters in the show...and he believes his duels will reach out to her...this is legit the final 5 episodes. It's the exact point you notice the writing staff was moved into the movie.

The power of love brings Yuzu back and the ending shows that all their alter egos are alive inside them. So basically.

AmbitiousRealisticDunnart-small.gif

Except Kingdom Hearts realized that there's nothing happy in having your mind be prisoner of another person's body and walked back almost immediately.

Instead Arc-V ends with happy music while Rin and Yugo will never hug again and never got the chance to see each other one last time, Shun lost both his sister and his best friend and Selena will never resolve her issues with her upbringing.

Fuck that. At least Yuya gets to be with Yuzu I guess?

Still better than the Manga tho.

That's it for Gen 5

Next up the worst show, with the worst characters, the worst designs and the biggest shitshow with the implementation of a new mechanic I've ever seen....look forward to it! INTO THE VRAINS!

Last edited:

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Okay, I haven't watch Arc-V but did they seriously skipped out in giving Ritual Monsters their own dimension. Did any character of importance had a ritual based deck? Or where they just pushed to the side for this season.

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Okay, I haven't watch Arc-V but did they seriously skipped out in giving Ritual Monsters their own dimension. Did any character of importance had a ritual based deck? Or where they just pushed to the side for this season.

Alexis Rhodes and one of Yuya's friends use Ritual

Rituals in the Arc-V era became meta since like forever with the introduction of the "Nekroz" they dominated for a good while.

Stef

Oct 28, 2017
Rome, Italy, Planet Earth
Well... I guess I've really matured as I'm in a Yu Gi Oh! thread and I feel no urge to link the "Card games on motorcycles" video.

It feels... good!

Oh, who do I want to fool?

Here it is.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Alexis Rhodes and one of Yuya's friends use Ritual

Rituals in the Arc-V era became meta since like forever with the introduction of the "Nekroz" they dominated for a good while.
Yeah, I didn't played but I remember my friend complaining about Necroz whenever the topic of yugioh came up. Not a Yu-boy, but at least ritual monsters got some love in the anime, but I'm guessing Yuya's friend didn't do a lot of dueling after the first season.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I really wanted to like VRAINS but after something like 15/20 episodes I couldn't take it anymore.
Will try again with the new show after VRAINS.

Farrac

Nov 3, 2017
Alcalá de Henares, Spain
Huh, iirc your summary of the Arc-V events is a bit off. Not that it matters, it was a clusterfuck anyway.

Am I the only one who is reminded of ice cream everytime I see anime Z-Arc artwork?

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Huh, iirc your summary of the Arc-V events is a bit off. Not that it matters, it was a clusterfuck anyway.

Am I the only one who is reminded of ice cream everytime I see anime Z-Arc artwork?

I don't doubt it's a bit off, it's hard to present bits and pieces of the plot in each post. But I hope it gets the general idea across

And for all that clusterfuck, I can't help but remember it fondly, it's still comfortably in the middle of my ranking lists....The characters and setting were just that good and I totally recommend it if someone wants to give one of the non OG shows a watch

What comes next, oh boy, that's a true irredeemable piece of shit imo.

Ballpoint Ren

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Blackwing Armor Master
Generation 3
: 5D's
User: Crow Hogan

Artwork:
latest

Hey, ProfRenegade , here's your boi.

DISCLAIMER: The reason why I'm not doing a review on "Black-Winged Dragon", despite it being a Signer Dragon is because:

a) The anime never shows BWD as a Signer Dragon alongside the Crimson Dragon, so it's inclusion was another pointless retcon of season 3.
b) It's nowhere near as popular or good as Armor Master here
c) I can review it with just "It's ugly, it sucks, no one plays it, no support"

Crow Hogan was one of Yusei's closest friend's during his time in Satellite, a member of Yusei's Duel Gang, Crow's face is now covered in Criminal Tracker Marks used by the police to keep tabs on him. After the fallout of the gang, Crow and Yusei lost contact for a bit, but never stopped being friends. When Yusei was having trouble with the looming threat of the Dark Signers, Crow joined the fight as an ally no questions asked. Aided by his extremely powerful Deck, The Blackwings. Humanoid Birds ready to kick ass and take names
crow_hogan_by_solgravionmegazord_dd1q096-250t.jpg

Crow's Ace is the level 7, DARK, Winged-Beast, Synchro Monster. Armor Master, a card with a really cool looking design for being essentially Bird Person, it sure is a Master of the Armor as it looks great in it, the black metal on the wings and helmets pops out really nicely on the blue background, and I particularly like the orange decals finishing in some dark orb adornments in it's wings. Once more, the pose is good and heroic, the only thing I would take away are those weird wheel thingies on it's hips, they look bulky and uncomfortable.

While the card itself is REAL good the card benefits from being summoned with what many consider one of the best Tuner monsters in the game "Blackwing- Gale the Whirlwind"

Gale can be special summoned by controlling any other "Blackwing" card, so you can just summon a cool Level 4 Blackwing monsters, get to summon Gale for free, Gale will halve an opponent's monster's ATK and THEN you get to Synchro into an unkillable 2500 ATK Armor Master that will reduce to 0 the ATK of any monster foolish enough to battle it. Needless to say, Blackwings popped in and out of the metagame for years, with the eventual limitation of Gale never really being a problem to them, they were THAT good.

Crow and his Blackwings got so popular that the anime writers decided to make him the 5th Signer in season 2 as opposed to making him a villain like they originally planned. That means, Crow ended up taking Leo's spot as the 5th Signer.
c84.gif

Blackwings get support every Tuesday given how insanely popular they are, even Armor Master has a new Shiny Powered Up form "Blackwing Full Armor Master" released last year

Armor Master and the Blackwings are only now missing in the Link department to have full power in modern times, and even then, they do just as good with the adorable "Wee Witch's Apprentice" as their Link. Great Card. great theme...Shame about the character taking over the spotlight of all the other cool season 1 characters though.

Trivia Time!

Since "Black-Winged Dragon" has a hyphen in-between the words, it's not considered a "Blackwing" monster and as such, cannot use any of their support. As if it didn't suck enough already...

We're nearing the end of this round of Gen 3 reviews, later tonight, we will be taking a trip to the Nazca Lines.

A little LTTP, but I enjoyed reading this. Not gonna get back into YGO anytime soon, but it brings me back to the days I'd play this deck in locals. Admittedly, it didn't stand a chance to decks like Scrap, Gladiator Beasts, or even Fortune Ladies (then again, maybe I just wasn't that good at YGO), but boy were they fun to play.

Mario Bilo

trying to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Jan 7, 2018
To be fair I think if we can give 5Ds the benefit of doubt where everything after the dark signers is absolutely uninteresting and characters disappear, the original series where you had like five stupid spin offs, or the GX where nothing happened in the first season, season 2 was crap and season 3 stood out by comparison then ArcV should definitely get a pass for not sticking the landing in the last 10 episodes. Everything up to that was awesome, with it being the only Yu Gi Oh show without any filler and genuinely interesting with its plotting and story beats.

For me the ranking would be:
ArcV
Original
5Ds
VRAINs
GX
ZEXAL.

Jinzo
OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
So, look. Gen 6 is a shitshow of colossal proportions, I know I should probably get on with it and do a review of "Decode Talker", but I won't. Not today, I need time to collect my thoughts on Konami forcing the use of a new mechanic and locking all other mechanics behind it, the player backlash that followed, the backtracking, the actual good link support, the problem with Extralinks as a mechanic, and the entire Firewall Dragon debacle, and reach the current healthy state of the game. It's just too big of a roller coaster....So I think, just this once, I´m going to simply remember the simpler times and the most requested card as a little bonus review. This will also let me focus on the "Legendary Dragons" for the next reviews (Alongside Slifer and Obelisk of course)

So Gridlock Pikachu Blindy Cruxist Negaduck Pascal Toxi RadioJoNES, you asked for him, here he is.

Jinzo
Generations 1 & 2: Duel Monsters & GX
Users: Espa Roba, Joey Wheeler, The Big Five, Jinzo Himself

Original Artwork:

latest

Latest Artwork:

latest

During his time in battle city, Joey Wheeler eventually found himself dueling against yet another duelist who claimed to be a psychic but was a total cheat instead, Espa Roba, Espa Roba's ace monster was a Level 6, DARK, Machine-Type monster with one of the simplest, yet deadliest effect for the early game. "Jinzo"

Jinzo's original artwork is just striking, this humanoid cyborg is just standing there, doing nothing but staring and you from the other side of that unnerving mask, the veins popping and throbbing make it clear that whatever this horrible mask is supposed to be for, it's also hurting him, and he doesn't care...His objective is you. The background being a pink mist always give me the idea that seeing him is a nightmare, but also, that he just vaporized a pink trap card and is coming out of the smoke, both interpretations just make me realize how effective of a background it is, and not only that but it plays really well with the green on his armor. Kazuki Takahashi himself designed his second artwork, as you can see by his autograpgh in the lowe right corner, a staple of all the Takahashi Artwork cards. But I don't like it. Much like with Dark Magician I´m not a fan of him always going for black and edgy for OG cards. His pose using thudershock like a Pikachu is nowhere near as good as the thing just...staring at you.

For the game, Jinzo negates all trap cards currently on the field and prevents their activation, this was MASSIVE back in the day, as trap cards were usually your first line of defense against attacks, and with a respectable 2400 ATK for the price of a tribute, Jinzo was damn well worth it. A good Jinzo could end games if summoned at the right time. He's a legend...

That has unfortunately fallen from grace. Trap cards are nowhere near as popular as back in the day, with player playing a max of like 5 traps in their decks and only if they're absolutely neccesary. The rise in popularity of "Hand Traps" (Monsters that activate their effect in your hand during the opponent's turn) such as "Honest" and "Effect Veiler" really hurt his viability.

But the most criminal reason why Jinzo isn't up there with the greats...is a lack of support. For the longest time the only card supporting Jinzo was "Jinzo's Snazzy Party Hat" a card so not worth it it has not being reprinted since release...

After that came a bit of hope with GX's "Jinzo Returner"

This card would attack your opponent directly and revive a Jinzo in your graveyard when it's destroyed, but that just meant exposing yourself to an attack against a weak monster, you could always play him in defense and wait for it to be killed, but that's just slow and too risky.

Jinzo later got an upgraded, more powerful form "Jinzo-Lord"

And not only does it make Jinzo look like shit, but it's a total dead draw if you don't have Jinzo already, and it only provides a burn effect if your opponent controls face-up continous traps...that's too situational.

Then came some GOOD support at the tail end of the 5D's era with

This card let's you summon Jinzo for (almost) free as a response to an opponent's trap! Jinzo will get summoned and their trap will be negated! that's cool....but it requires your opponent to activate a trap, for you to have a spell/trap in your hand to discard, and for Jinzo to be only in your deck...oh man, I was getting excited.

Zexal era came in and gave Jinzo his last known piece of support, the amazing "Jinzo-Jector"

Teenage metalhead Jinzo can be tributed to add Jinzo from your deck to your hand, reveal all cards your opponent has set, and if there is a single trap among them, Jinzo will be special summoned at no cost. If more than 1 trap is revealed, you can summon more cards with "Jinzo" in their name! That's amazing!.

....But that's 1 maybe 2 good cards, compare that to my Dark Magician or Blue-Eyes writeups, it's simply not enough.

But Konami sure likes their gen 1 pandering from time to time, and if the shitty Fairy Tale cards from the fillers got actually printed, Buster Blader has his own deck and lore and Joey support packs are a dime a dozen, I know, deep down, that is only a matter of time for Jinzo to fucking return.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2340

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, look. Gen 6 is a shitshow of colossal proportions, I know I should probably get on with it and do a review of "Decode Talker", but I won't. Not today, I need time to collect my thoughts on Konami forcing the use of a new mechanic and locking all other mechanics behind it, the player backlash that followed, the backtracking, the actual good link support, the problem with Extralinks as a mechanic, and the entire Firewall Dragon debacle, and reach the current healthy state of the game. It's just too big of a roller coaster....So I think, just this once, I´m going to simply remember the simpler times and the most requested card as a little bonus review. This will also let me focus on the "Legendary Dragons" for the next reviews (Alongside Slifer and Obelisk of course)

So Gridlock Pikachu Blindy Cruxist Negaduck Pascal Toxi RadioJoNES, you asked for him, here he is.

Jinzo
Generations 1 & 2: Duel Monsters & GX
Users: Espa Roba, Joey Wheeler, The Big Five, Jinzo Himself

Original Artwork:

latest

Latest Artwork:

latest

During his time in battle city, Joey Wheeler eventually found himself dueling against yet another duelist who claimed to be a psychic but was a total cheat instead, Espa Roba, Espa Roba's ace monster was a Level 6, DARK, Machine-Type monster with one of the simplest, yet deadliest effect for the early game. "Jinzo"

Jinzo's original artwork is just striking, this humanoid cyborg is just standing there, doing nothing but staring and you from the other side of that unnerving mask, the veins popping and throbbing make it clear that whatever this horrible mask is supposed to be for, it's also hurting him, and he doesn't care...His objective is you. The background being a pink mist always give me the idea that seeing him is a nightmare, but also, that he just vaporized a pink trap card and is coming out of the smoke, both interpretations just make me realize how effective of a background it is, and not only that but it plays really well with the green on his armor. Kazuki Takahashi himself designed his second artwork, as you can see by his autograpgh in the lowe right corner, a staple of all the Takahashi Artwork cards. But I don't like it. Much like with Dark Magician I´m not a fan of him always going for black and edgy for OG cards. His pose using thudershock like a Pikachu is nowhere near as good as the thing just...staring at you.

For the game, Jinzo negates all trap cards currently on the field and prevents their activation, this was MASSIVE back in the day, as trap cards were usually your first line of defense against attacks, and with a respectable 2400 ATK for the price of a tribute, Jinzo was damn well worth it. A good Jinzo could end games if summoned at the right time. He's a legend...

That has unfortunately fallen from grace. Trap cards are nowhere near as popular as back in the day, with player playing a max of like 5 traps in their decks and only if they're absolutely neccesary. The rise in popularity of "Hand Traps" (Monsters that activate their effect in your hand during the opponent's turn) such as "Honest" and "Effect Veiler" really hurt his viability.

But the most criminal reason why Jinzo isn't up there with the greats...is a lack of support. For the longest time the only card supporting Jinzo was "Jinzo's Snazzy Party Hat" a card so not worth it it has not being reprinted since release...

After that came a bit of hope with GX's "Jinzo Returner"

This card would attack your opponent directly and revive a Jinzo in your graveyard when it's destroyed, but that just meant exposing yourself to an attack against a weak monster, you could always play him in defense and wait for it to be killed, but that's just slow and too risky.

Jinzo later got an upgraded, more powerful form "Jinzo-Lord"

And not only does it make Jinzo look like shit, but it's a total dead draw if you don't have Jinzo already, and it only provides a burn effect if your opponent controls face-up continous traps...that's too situational.

Then came some GOOD support at the tail end of the psychic era with

This card let's you summon Jinzo for (almost) free as a response to an opponent's trap! Jinzo will get summoned and their trap will be negated! that's cool....but it requires your opponent to activate a trap, for you to have a spell/trap in your hand to discard, and for Jinzo to be only in your deck...oh man, I was getting excited.

Zexal era came in and gave Jinzo his last known piece of support, the amazing "Jinzo-Jector"

Teenage metalhead Jinzo can be tributed to add Jinzo from your deck to your hand, reveal all cards your opponent has set, and if there is a single trap among them, Jinzo will be special summoned at no cost. If more than 1 trap is revealed, you can summon more cards with "Jinzo" in their name! That's amazing!.

....But that's 1 maybe 2 good cards, compare that to my Dark Magician or Blue-Eyes writeups, it's simply not enough.

But Konami sure likes their gen 1 pandering from time to time, and if the shitty Fairy Tale cards from the fillers got actually printed, Buster Blader has his own deck and lore and Joey support packs are a dime a dozen, I know, deep down, that is only a matter of time for Jinzo to fucking return.

I agree that Jinzo's original artwork was more menacing looking then the Thunder Shock artwork. Sigh... such a ace card didn't get the push he deserved because he's not a Dragon or lame warrior.

Outstanding write up!

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Everything up to that was awesome, with it being the only Yu Gi Oh show without any filler and genuinely interesting with its plotting and story beats.
Nothing wrong with filler, and looking back I really wish Vrains has had more filler in between all the serious storytelling. I stopped around episode 36 and never did I believed Yusaku has any friends, except for maybe the hotdog guy. I really wish it had episodes center around his school life, or anything to make him more than just serious bland dude.