• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Voror

Oct 25, 2017
Quick question. While I'm sure these cards are all there, are a lot of the support cards like those for Black Rose and Galaxy Eyes likely to be in that Legacy of the Duelist game coming to Switch?

You can just watch those 64 episodes of 5D's and get a full satisfactory resolution to the plot and characters minus a few details.

They're THAT good.

And even with the hastily rewritten S3, you still get amazing character moments and battles.

The Battle against the Nordic Gods is amazing. As is Shooting Star Dragon making its first appearance with Masaki Endoh blasting in the background.

Would it be worth it to go back and watch that season in full?

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Quick question. While I'm sure these cards are all there, are a lot of the support cards like those for Black Rose and Galaxy Eyes likely to be in that Legacy of the Duelist game coming to Switch?

Would it be worth it to go back and watch that season in full?

1) Galaxy-Eyes yes. Black Rose no, too new.

2) Yes.

Burritoad

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for making this thread man, its been great looking back at YuGiOh and seeing whats its become now.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
Read through a bit of this thread, was quite fun, great idea. Made me more excited for the upcoming game.

Related: Are any of the anime series (beyond the first) worth checking out?

EDIT: Literally answered on the previous page.

Like the original, 5D's and Arc-V are great experiences despite their shortcomings

GX is good fun, ZEXAL is uneven and nosedives a lot but it has it's charm.

Avoid VRAINS

Overall, 5D's is the best option imo.

Voror

Oct 25, 2017
1) Galaxy-Eyes yes. Black Rose no, too new.

2) Yes.

That's good at least. I actually really dig the designs on the cards for that Galaxy Eyes post. It'd be nice if they added DLC later cards but probably unlikely.

I'll give it a watch then. It's been a few years since I watched 5Ds and this has made me want to re-watch so I'll continue into that.

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
Is OP Maximilian Pegasus? He has made at least 10 people buy YGO games or go back to playing with their old decks.

Great thread. I have been reading it for the past couple of days. Lots of great cards.

OP, lead me in the direction of the most powerful and fun to play Dark Magician Girl deck.

Lately, I have bought few booster packs of the Dark Side of Dimensions movie, but so far, I haven't got any Dark Magician Girl.

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Also I know it kinda goes without saying but... watch them subbed.

Is OP Maximilian Pegasus? He has made at least 10 people buy YGO games or go back to playing with their old decks.

Great thread. I have been reading it for the past couple of days. Lots of great cards.

OP, lead me in the direction of the most powerful and fun to play Dark Magician Girl deck.

Lately, I have bought few booster packs of the Dark Side of Dimensions movie, but so far, I haven't got any Dark Magician Girl.

My check should clear any minute now.

Originally I made the thread here because of Duel Links and the Switch game. TBH I didn't actually expect interest to hold after the nostalgic cards were done

CielYoshi

May 10, 2018
Santiago, Chile

I don't know what to do with my stack of gold DMG I got from buying a box :P

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
That's good at least. I actually really dig the designs on the cards for that Galaxy Eyes post. It'd be nice if they added DLC later cards but probably unlikely.

I'll give it a watch then. It's been a few years since I watched 5Ds and this has made me want to re-watch so I'll continue into that.

Galaxy-Eyes is the best card ever made.

I'm not biased. You are.

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
Originally I made the thread here because of Duel Links and the Switch game. TBH I didn't actually expect interest to hold after the nostalgic cards were done

i didn't expect my own interest to hold after gen 1 either. However, i think nostalgia followed by marveling at the strangeness of the later generations was more interesting than a a pure nostalgia marathon would've been.

Wiseblade

Oct 26, 2017
To the people who have been following along with this thread, I just want to clarify a few things about the state of the game in the month since I got dragged back in:

Link monsters are EVERYWHERE. The nature of the extra deck zone means that every deck that wants to use multiple fusion, Synchro, Xyz or Pendulum monsters needs to have a link monster on the field to facilitate that. Since 2017 Konami has been in a mass rush to make Link support card for as many archetypes as possible which at best means breathing new life into old favourite decks or at worst amounts to poisoning you and then selling the antidote.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
Thank you for writing all of this so far, OP! It actually made me interested in Yu-Gi-Oh! again after Pendulums and Links kind of caused me to fall out of being interested. I'm really enjoying learning about how Links work and stuff, and it's nice to see that they aren't as bad as they were when they first released.
Now if only I could come up with a deck I wanna use.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There's a reason FJ0823 is our resident Yugioh master and i'm Just some asshole who follows the meta on and off while only playing on simulators like YGOpro or video games like LotD and who follows the anime lol. But seriously, the actual cost of playing Yugioh as a physical card game seems so ludicrous to me that I probably couldn't be bothered in this day and age even if I had people to play it with or a good local scene near me (which honestly there might be, but again fuck spending even 100 dollars on a deck that could easily become absolute garbage at the drop of a hat)

SkullHydra

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Feb 20, 2018
Man, this thread is a nostalgia trip. I was pretty hard into Yu-Gi-Oh for quite a while, all the way up to Link summoning. The only weekly Yu-Gi-Oh get together place I went to around 2016-2017 ended up closing, which put a dampener on dueling. Then Konami announced Link Summoning, which pretty much instantly killed almost all of my decks, and I ended up dropping the game.

It's good to know that the game has bounced back from the introduction of Links. Although one of my good work buddies is a die hard Yu-Gi-Oh fan who goes to tournaments all around the country, and seeing some of the boardstates he can make on the first turn is ridiculous. Like if you don't draw 1-2 hand traps, you've basically already lost before your first turn due to crazy unbreakable boards.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So I haven't seen a YGO card in real life for years...

Found one today lying around at my parents's place. Jesus. Were they always this small? And the text is microscopic even on a monster with a single text line for it's effect.

TheCed

Oct 27, 2017
Black Rose Dragon is long due for an Upgrade "Accel Synchro" style.

Good card or not, it has the potential of looking absolutely gorgeous.

Btw, is there any kind of Resonator/Red Daemon Dragon Link monster so far ?
I really love Scarlight and the Manga Upgrades, kinda want to try to make a Jack Atlas Deck for Legacy of the Duelist.

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Insane meta that is decided by a single card is the norm of this game.

What I mean with Links being better now is that they feel better, they enable your plays and set up combos even in non competitive decks.

They feel much less restrictive and more fun now that there's a good bit of variety to them.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
After you're done with big anime cards it'd Be cool if you could run through major archetypes in the game in general, and it might help people here prepare for LotD

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
After you're done with big anime cards it'd Be cool if you could run through major archetypes in the game in general, and it might help people here prepare for LotD

That's what I did on GAF during the LoTD launch. Were I recommended archetypes to returning players.

But my understanding of many modern decks is just superficial. I don't have the time for the necessary research.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
I found my old Yugioh cards the other day.

The Masked Beast was my favorite card. I designed my deck around being able to summon it and boosting its attack.

I also played some Yugioh World Championship 2004 on my GBA SP.
That game is still amazing. I love the music in it.

ri30LTw.jpg

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
Honestly the cracks kind of began to shine through in the Dark Signers arc of 5Ds, but yeah it's a pretty sweet ride.

I think the best part of the show is easily everything leading up to Kiryu's debut. In particular, I love the early part where Yusei is on the run but unlike VRAINS they actually have time to establish his allies.

(R.I.P. Himuro)

Ushio is an underappreciated character.

Bakrider

Oct 31, 2017
Any love for Cyber Jar or Morphing Jar?
Why leave out the true evil, Fiber Jar!
I found my old Yugioh cards the other day.

The Masked Beast was my favorite card. I designed my deck around being able to summon it and boosting its attack.

I also played some Yugioh World Championship 2004 on my GBA SP.
That game is still amazing. I love the music in it.

ri30LTw.jpg

Nice pic!

You have two cards I love in the shot, Archfiend of Gilfor and Dark Ruler Ha Des.

Slifer the Sky Dragon
OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Osiris the Sky Dragon
...Ugh...Fine...

Slifer the Sky Dragon
Generation 1: Duel Monsters
User: Yugi Muto

Original Artwork:
LDK2ENS01.jpg

Latest Artwork:
514Hq8CH%2B7L.jpg

"The heavens twists and thunders roar! Signaling the coming of this ancient creature, and the dawn of true power."

During his time in Battle City, Yugi Muto was confronted by the mime Strings, who was one of the evil Marik's servants, Strings was given one of Marik's Egyptian God cards, meant to represent Osiris, God of the death...At least until some asshole in the 4kids translation team decided that maybe, he could flatter the show's executive producer, Roger Slifer, by renaming the card after him while also preventing poor impressionable kids to maybe learn about ancient Egyptian culture by searching for this card....Thus giving us "Slifer, The Executive Producer", and you can bet it will executive produce the shit out of you. (I can't believe I did almost 40 reviews without an abridged reference)

Yugi eventually managed to defeat Slifer; thus claiming the card from Marik, from that moment this Level 10, DIVINE, Divine-Beast Type Effect Monster became an icon heavily associated with Yugi himself. Slifer helped Yugi in climatic battles against the likes of Ryo Bakura, Seto Kaiba and Marik Ishtar.

Like Ra, Slifer's design just looks powerful. The way it's drawn is reminiscent of Blue-Eyes White Dragon with a pose that gives you a full detailed view of the creature's head while the body is shrieked for a curious, but effective look. This bright red creature just looks majestic.
tumblr_mlf7lowi7z1rmxl1mo1_400.gif

It's latest artwork I don't like. I feel like looking at the head from a distance just makes him look like a giant snake. The artwork for the card made by Kazuki Takahashi is my favorite though. With its fully drawn background and real well drawn Slifer unleashing his attack on a poor fool.

Out of all 3 of the Egyptian god cards, Slifer is the closest to his Anime counterpart. It needs 3 monster tributes to be summoned, it's summon cannot be negated, cards and effects cannot be activated in response to the summon and it will go back to the GY when it's revived. That's some good protection but not enough as Slifer will become vulnerable to cards and effects as soon as the summon is successful.

Slifer gains 1000 ATK for each card in your hand, and it will let you control the field by destroying any summoned monster with 2000 or less ATK or reduce the ATK of more powerful monsters by 2000. These effects are not bad, but can be used as a way to keep you from your best cards by forcing you to keep them in hand to keep Slifer strong.

Slifer is not a great card for 3 tributes, Synchro Xyz or Link monsters can do a lot more damage for less resources. Slifer might have shined in early YGO when attacking was the only true strategy, but unfortunately the legal version of this card came out too late.

No support exists for Slifer as it's still decent and somewhat playable as opposed to the disgrace that is legal Ra.

Trivia Time!

In the manga "Bobobo-bo Bo- bobo" the titular character uses his power to summon Yugi Muto, who summons Slifer to win a battle for him. The panel was drawn by Takahashi himself as a guest appearance

485.jpg

Cyberninja776

Oct 28, 2017
I know it's named after a producer but at least Slifer is a name that still seems legit at face value and I personally prefer it Osiris.

Jun 12, 2018
Also I know it kinda goes without saying but... watch them subbed.

My check should clear any minute now.

On the subject of the dubs...please tell me this one was fake atleast

Oct 27, 2017
Awesome writeups. And as someone who dropped off the TCG around the Zexal era, I appreciate the explanations on thr link summons.

Trivia Time!

In the manga "Bobobo-bo Bo- bobo" the titular character uses his power to summon Yugi Muto, who summons Slifer to win a battle for him. The panel was drawn by Takahashi himself as a guest appearance

485.jpg

Fun fact: In Jump Ultimate Stars, fighters can get support bonuses from othet characters. Usually it's based on their relationship (Luffy can be supported by Usopp & Robin, Naruto by Kakashi) or mangaka (Goku by Arale) or some other theme. Bobobo can be supported by Yugi, and I didn't understand why until I saw this panel.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018

anyone who says to watch Yugioh subbed is a fool and a coward
these dubs are a treasure

Thores

Oct 25, 2017
Trivia Time!

485.jpg
Fun fact: In Jump Ultimate Stars, fighters can get support bonuses from othet characters. Usually it's based on their relationship (Luffy can be supported by Usopp & Robin, Naruto by Kakashi) or mangaka (Goku by Arale) or some other theme. Bobobo can be supported by Yugi, and I didn't understand why until I saw this panel.
Double fun fact for you both!

Jump Super Stars, a game that predates Ultimate Stars, had a feature that Ultimate didn't: unique team attacks you gained access to when you had two specific members in your deck. When you have Bobobo and Yugi on the same team, they can utilize a Team Attack that reproduces this exact panel:

Until now I thought it was just a wacky combination attack that the game made up. Thanks for filling in the blanks!

The Eye of Timaeus
OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
The Eye of Timaeus
User: Yugi Muto

Original Artwork:

After defeating the Marik, Yugi found himself confronted by a gang of bikers under the orders of the evil Dartz, these gang of evildoers were all given the power of "The Seal of Orichalcos". When Yugi is in the brink of defeat against the power of the seal, the spirit of the "Dark Magician Girl" takes his mind to the realm of the monsters, and informs him that he's been chosen to wield one of the legendary dragons that can fight against the Seal of Orichalcos. Yugi takes the sword stabbing the frozen dragon's heart and releases it to obtain a new power, The Eye of Timaeus! A...wait what was that card? It was like light blue or something, I dunno...Anyways, the TCG adapted Timaeus as a normal spell card.

And before you even DARE to suggest me the new art is bad because it's not like the one you remember from the show. THIS is what you remember from the show:

It looked like shit! It always did!

Anyways, whoever was in charge of redesigning this card was a goddamn hero. Many many filler arc cards that don't work with existing artwork look terrible, and when an anime card ends up being printed as a real card they end up doing the bare minimum effort to make them look better. Timaeus is not the case, and an actual redesign of the artwork was done, IT FOCUSES ON THE EYE! YES! After all this time, I get a card with "Eye" as the theme that focuses on the eye. It even has a mysterious magical glow to it that I just love! They also removed the disgusting wrinkles from the anime and added a cool "Crystal Shattering" effect as the background, nice nod to it's first appereance.

In the anime, Timaeus would need to combine with a monster card to manifest and Yugi always uses it primarily on his "Dark Magician" and "Dark Magician Girl" cards, so the design translated this by making Timaeus a fusion spell card that can summon a fusion monster with just 1 material. Which is an effect design straight from the GX manga cards. So whenever a "Dark Magician" Monster is on the field, you may use it asthe only fusion material for the fusion summon of any fusion monster that lists them as materials.

This means that not only you get the show accurate forms of Timaeus:

But you also can get any fusion that lists "Dark Magician" as one of it's materials! That means Dark Paladin and Dark Flare Knight are also options!

This is an amazingly creative way to adapt the anime bullshit into a real card. The Eye of Timaeus is not a card that could've been released back when the anime was airing, but since fusion summon had been expanded on so much, the card was finally printed in 2014, right before the start of the Pendulum Era.

Since then, a never seen before form for Timaeus was released for the TCG.

It might not be the best card ever, but it can't hurt to have 1 in your Dark Magician deck, can it?

Trivia Time!

Oh...Yes it can. Due to a hilariously dumb technicality "The Eye of Timaeus" cannot be searched with the search cards in the Dark Magician Deck.

You see those cards state that you can search for any card that lists the card "Dark Magician" specifically in their text, but since Timaeus talks about "Dark Magician" Monsters (Any monster with the words "Dark Magician" in its name) it does not list "Dark Magician" specifically, and thus cannot be searched for with cards such as "Dark Magical Circle"

Still, some players use an Eye of Timaeus or Two due to how easily it is to get a DM on the field now....but beware, you might end up dead drawing it.

Last edited:
The Claw of Hermos
OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
The Claw of Hermos
User: Joey Wheeler

Original Artwork:
latest

During the Orichalcos arc there was one terrible casualty for our heroes...Mai Valentine's characterization. Mai moves from being the femme fatale of the group to be a disgraced duelist whose arc is that she needs to choose which man she should listen to. She joins the Orichalcos gang for absolutely no real reason and challenges Joey...For absolutely no real reason.

During the Duel, Joey is also chosen by a legendary dragon, Hermos, who has the power of combining with other monsters to form weapons. In the TCG, Hermos is a Normal Spell Card.

Your reminder of how awful Hermos actually looked in the show:
TheClawofHermos-EN-Anime-DM.png

Hermos is another shitty looking anime filler card salvaged by a decent artist . The crimson and brown colors are darker, the scales are better drawn so it no longer looks like it had some skin disease and the pose is changed to put more emphases on the claw, which is actually well drawn this time and it not longer looks like it's arm is broken. Another great improvement.

The Claw of Hermos works a bit differently from the Eye of Timaeus in that it will also fusion summon a monster with just one material, but instead of asking for a specific card name it will just ask for a specific monster type listed in the fusion you wish to summon.

Whenever Hermos combined with Joey's monsters it produced a weapon for another of his monsters to wield. In yet another strike of cleverness the designers also made those weapons into fusion monsters with an effect to immediately be equipped to a monster and treated as an equip Spell.

So if you use The Claw of Hermos and tribute a Spellcaster type monster (such as Joey's "Time Wizard" you'll get this:
latest

And it's effect will trigger, forcing you to equip it to a monster of the field before applying it's effects.

Same goes for using a Dragon Type (Joey's Red-Eyes)
latest

And Warrior Types (Joey's Rocket Warrior)
latest

Now why would an ancient dragon turn into a Bazooka? No idea.

No support has been released for this card or its Fusions.

TRIVIA TIME

I got nothing for this one....It's a Dragon that turns into a cannon.

Deleted member 25140

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So this thread inspired me to start watching the anime again from the beginning and like... wow they really just make up the rules as they go along each episode don't they

Voror

Oct 25, 2017
I'd completely forgotten these dragons until seeing those show designs. They aren't exactly memorable or appealing to look at which probably explains it.