• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hey, Exodia decks aren't boring with the banlist turned off, they're just insanely broken! Yay for just drawing through your entire deck on turn 1 to win! (This was how I grinded stuff out in Legacy of the Duelist.)
Any good exodia strategy is focused on doing this, but given there are other "draw through as many cards as you can turn one to beat your opponent" strategies that can be pulled off with two cards in the end rather than exodia's 5 it's still not great. Especially with hand traps like Ash Blossom being a thing in competitive anyway

Elemental HERO Absolute Zero
OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Generation 2: GX
Users: Jaden Yuki (manga)
Artwork:
51cP2fOzsCL.jpg

In the infinitely superior GX manga, Jaden's origin as a duelist began with him breaking a leg. While at the hospital Jaden meets Koyo Hibiki, a world class duelist with a strange disease, Koyo teaches Jaden how to duel to keep him entertained during his stay at the hospital. But Jaden loves it so much that he keeps visiting Koyo to play on his hospital bed even after being discharged. Eventually Koyo decides to duel Jaden for real, and has his sister buy Jaden a duel disk. He asks Jaden to create the best deck he can and is very flattered to see Jaden use a "HERO" deck just like him. Jaden's usual anime heroes and Koyo's never seen before HEROs such as "Lady Heat" and "Ocean" clash. Proud of his friend Koyo entrusts his one of a kind "Elemental HERO Deck" to Jaden, including his ace "Elemental HERO Terra Firma" before finally collapsing in a coma from his illness.

Young Jaden swears to honor his wishes to train him as a Pro and enrolls in Duel Academy.

Eventually, Jaden realizes that he must start making that deck his own. And this is where the next two cards we're going to be talking about come in. Jaden starts using new Elemental HERO Fusions that are well...Elemental.

The most popular one with the fandom is a level 8, WATER, Warrior-Type Fusion Monster. Absolute Zero!

Absolute Zero is my favorite looking HERO. The Super Hero landing pose combined with the Iceman maneuver look amazing, the bright white armor with little blue accents sell the idea that this is one cool HERO...Get it? The Dark Blue background with Snowflakes gives it the finishing chilly touch to an already awesome monster.

Like all other of Jaden's true Elemental HERO, it's fusion requirements are extremely lax, any HERO plus a monster with an attribute of the corresponding element will result into this awesome fusion. Same happens for other elements such as FIRE or LIGHT.

With such a low cost Absolute Zero has a devastating effect, not only it gains 500 ATK For every other WATER monster in the field, it also nukes your opponent's field when he leaves the field for ANY reason. That includes you fusing it with another Attribute for a new true Elemental HERO.

Absolute Zero is just a small appetizer to get you familiarized with the GX Manga cards. No self respecting Hero player uses the Anime heroes. And cards like absolute Zero being just the tip of the iceberg is a huge reason why.

Our next card covers the true power of Manga Heroes...and I hope you like Kamen Rider.

Trivia Time!

This card's artwork is based on its first on panel appereance

Last edited:

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Generations 2: GX
Artwork:
51cP2fOzsCL.jpg

In the infinitely superior GX manga, Jaden's origin as a duelist began with him breaking a leg. While at the hospital Jaden meets Koyo Hibiki, a world class duelist with a strange disease, Koyo teaches Jaden how to duel to keep him entertained during his stay at the hospital. But Jaden loves it so much that he keeps visiting Koyo to play on his hospital bed even after being discharged. Eventually Koyo decides to duel Jaden for real, and has his sister buy Jaden a duel disk. He asks Jaden to create the best deck he can and is very 2 to see Jaden use a "HERO" deck just like him. Jaden's usual anime heroes and Koyo's never seen before HEROs such as "Lady Heat" and "Ocean" clash. Proud of his friends Koyo entrusts his one of a kind "Elemental HERO Deck" to Jaden, including his ace "Elemental HERO Terra Firma" before finally collapsing in a coma from his illness.

Young Jaden swears to honor his wishes to train him as a Pro and enrolls in Duel Academy.

Eventually, Jaden realizes that he must start making that deck his own. And this is where the next two cards we're going to be talking about come in. Jaden starts using new Elemental HERO Fusions that are well...Elemental.

The most popular one with the fandom is a level 8, WATER, Warrior-Type Fusion Monster. Absolute Zero!

Absolute Zero is my favorite looking HERO. The Super Hero landing pose combined with the Iceman maneuver look amazing, the bright white armor with little blue accents sell the idea that this is one cool HERO...Get it? The Dark Blue background with Snowflakes gives it the finishing chilly touch to an already awesome monster.

Like all other of Jaden's true Elemental HERO, it's fusion requirements are extremely lax, any HERO plus a monster with an attribute of the corresponding element will result into this awesome fusion. Same happens for other elements such as FIRE or LIGHT.

With such a low cost Absolute Zero has a devastating effect, not only it gains 500 ATK For every other WATER monster in the field, it also nukes your opponent's field when he leaves the field for ANY reason. That includes you fusing it with another Attribute for a new true Elemental HERO.

Absolute Zero is just a small appetizer to get you familiarized with the GX Manga cards. No self respecting Hero player uses the Anime heroes. And cards like absolute Zero being just the tip of the iceberg is a huge reason why.

Our next card covers the true power of Manga Heroes...and I hope you like Kamen Rider.

Trivia Time!

Yep manga has a lot of awesome cards that were adapted with slight tweaks! Masked heroes next Hunh? Let me guess we're getting some planet series and dragon goodness too right? Oh and Ma'at of course

Cyberninja776

Oct 28, 2017
Generations 2: GX
Artwork:
51cP2fOzsCL.jpg

In the infinitely superior GX manga, Jaden's origin as a duelist began with him breaking a leg. While at the hospital Jaden meets Koyo Hibiki, a world class duelist with a strange disease, Koyo teaches Jaden how to duel to keep him entertained during his stay at the hospital. But Jaden loves it so much that he keeps visiting Koyo to play on his hospital bed even after being discharged. Eventually Koyo decides to duel Jaden for real, and has his sister buy Jaden a duel disk. He asks Jaden to create the best deck he can and is very 2 to see Jaden use a "HERO" deck just like him. Jaden's usual anime heroes and Koyo's never seen before HEROs such as "Lady Heat" and "Ocean" clash. Proud of his friends Koyo entrusts his one of a kind "Elemental HERO Deck" to Jaden, including his ace "Elemental HERO Terra Firma" before finally collapsing in a coma from his illness.

Trivia Time!

For Link Evolution does Jaden have his manga cards or just the anime ones?

Mario Bilo

trying to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Jan 7, 2018
Man even from that very small excert about the GX manga it sounds miles better than what we got as anime. I wonder if Zexal manga was also able to salvage those characters.

Cyberninja776

Oct 28, 2017
To clarify they're in the game, he does not use them in story mode at all since story mode is only based on the animes
Do you still earn them when you play duels with him or are they in separate booster packs? If I'm understanding correctly you get character's cards when you play as them but they also have traditional booster packs.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Do you still earn them when you play duels with him or are they in separate booster packs? If I'm understanding correctly you get character's cards when you play as them but they also have traditional booster packs.
The cards you get from winning duels in story and challenge mode are explicitly always cards that are in the specific deck you're facing, so no, you'd need to open the packs (in this case it's obviously the Jaden pack for Hero monsters and support)

winstein

Oct 28, 2017
Malaysia
The Elemental Hero monsters that does not need a specific material is one of the best things to happen to an Elemental Hero deck precisely because not only can you use more monsters for a fusion, the existence of Super Polymerization (which the anime introduced) enhances its versatility further since you can use the opponent's monsters for a fusion. I kind of wish that the Neos Fusions don't return to the deck because that severely limited its viability, unlike Gladiator Beasts which did it far better (they can summon different beasts in exchange of returning to the deck, so deck advantage is not lost), especially since Elemental Hero Neos is already pretty difficult to Summon.

Thank you for reading.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Are you going to cover the Sacred Beasts?

I always thought they were pretty cool even if their show usage was cheesy.

Mask Change
OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Mask Change
Artwork:

HENSHIN!

Long Image Heavy Post Incoming.

After a Tournament in Duel Academy where ( Manga)Jaden fought to the top and earned a battle against Zane Truesdale, Jaden realized he couldn't keep imitating Koyo's Elemental HERO Deck. Jaden decides to start working in a deck that is completely his own design. He builds a Masked HERO Deck, because when American Superheroes don't cut it, it's time to go full Tokusatsu as Jaden eventually finds a new way to Fusion Summon which he calls...

giphy.gif

That's right Henshin Summon, or Transformation Summon in the English Version. Which is a Fusion Summon that only needs 1 materials, as it just transforms the monster into a new, more powerful form. The Key to do it is the Quick-Play Spell Card "Mask Change".

Mask Change sends one "HERO" monster to the graveyard to transform it into a powerful "Kamen Rider"-Like Masked HERO of the Same Attribute.

The ability to Transform his HEROs into Masked HERO's during the opponent's turn gave Jaden the edge in many battles, as he could turn the tides by transforming his fusions into Masked HERO's when the situation called for it. Jaden's Masked HERO Deck became his ultimate deck, and to this day are considered the one of, if not the best way to play HEROs.

There's very little to talk about "Mask Change"'s art, it's a dude putting on a luminous mask, it's very simplistic, but it gets the point across, that doesn't stop it from being terrifying as one flip while you have "Absolute Zero" on the field, will result in Absolute Zero nuking all of your opponent's monsters only for "Masked HERO Acid" to drop and take care of the your opponent's back row.

Masked HERO card can give you control Options with cards like "Masked HERO Dark Law" which prevents cards from being sent to the graveyard. While also controlling the cards your opponent gets to add to their hand, and you can summon it just by Mask Changin' an already powerful "Elemental HERO Escuridao" from Jaden's "True" Elemental HERO repertoire

Maybe you're more into attacking? Then simply use "Mask Change" on a Light monster and get "Masked HERO Koga" to get rid of your opponent's beaters and deal some heavy damage

Or maybe you want the defensive approach? Just Fusion Summon an "Elemental HERO Great Tornado" to halve your opponent's ATK power or Normal Summon an "Elemental HERO Stratos" for a card search and then immediately Mask Change it into:

And so on. There's always a Masked HERO for any situation, and combining them with Jaden's Manga Elemental HEROs brings the deck to their top potential. And the best part is that there's more than one card to use Transformation summon!

Mask Change II can transform ANY monster (Even if they're not HERO cards) into a Masked HERO, but it will ask you to discard a card as a cost, while Form Change will transform HERO Fusion Monsters into Masked HERO's by returning them to the extra Deck letting you fusion summon them once more later in the duel. The combos are vast and effective, and the best is that you can consistently get the "Change" cards you need by using Manga Jaden's "Elemental HERO Shadow Mist"

Manga Jaden's Elemental+Masked HERO deck is the best HERO potential realized in full, and I'd go as far as to call it the best Protagonist deck in the franchise. It's just that good.

But what do you do with all those fusions in a world with Link Summon Rules? Not to worry, HERO cards have also mastered Link summoning with the brand new "Xtra HERO" Link monsters.

Xtra Hero Wonder Driver will hit the field by using regular HERO's or a HERO Fusion in the Extra Monster Zone you no longer need as it's materials, then, whenever a "HERO" monster is summoned to the Zone it points at, Wonder Driver will give you a "Polymerization", "Fusion" or "Change" card to let you set up a Fusion or Mask Change right there. It's only downside is that it will unlock a zone for your opponent's Extra Deck Summons. If you want to just unlock zones for yourself, you can try "Xtra HERO Dread Decimator", but it's not very good...if at all.

Manga HERO just put their anime counterparts to such a gigantic shame that I have to wonder how Neos stills shows his face in public. And while nowhere near meta nowadays, it's such a fun deck to play that I can overlook it's weaknesses in modern times, such as the difficulty to set up an effective Link Summon

TRIVIA TIME!

"Masked HERO Divine Wind" 's card art is taken straight from the manga, and not from it's pose in the panel, but from the miniature card shown in the sequence, the same is true for all Masked HERO.

Last edited:

RadioJoNES

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've never bothered with the hero archetype, but it's awesome that they've gotten any sort of link support.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like masked heroes are still used to some extent as a rogue strategy, or some are used in largely non hero decks

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I feel like masked heroes are still used to some extent as a rogue strategy, or some are used in largely non hero decks

Yeah you're right, but I tend to think of "Pure" builds as the "Deck" of a theme. And that's why I suck at the metagame. My OCD prevents me from straying to much from the theme lol.

Anyways, here's a small hint for our next card.

InstructiveVainIceblueredtopzebra-small.gif

Sep 7, 2018
Blue-Eyes White Dragon
Generation 1
: Duel Monsters
User: Seto Kaiba

Original Artwork:
latest

Latest Artwork:
latest

Imagine having a card with such a reputation as the strongest card ever that there's a written rule on Konami's Yu-Gi-Oh! Design Team that states that no other normal monster can ever match the strength of that card. A card whose design, name and anime appereances have created thousands of references and memes. If there is one card that goes beyond being associated with "Yu-Gi-Oh!" it has to be this one. Your friends might not know a thing about this game, but they have heard the name before.

A powerful engine of destruction, virtually invincible. Blue-Eyes White Dragon is a level 8, Light, Dragon-Type Normal Monster that boasts the highest attack among all normal monsters in the game, 20 years of new cards and mechanics cannot strip him of the title of strongest normal monster, it has 3000 ATK. And a solid 2500 DEF.

Blue-Eyes artworks are all freaking great (with the exception of it's mandatory god-awful "Stone Tablet" version), but it's the original artwork the one that I think made this card what it is. Despite the fact of the original artwork being a Blue-Eyes Blue Dragon the artwork immediately pulls your attention towards it's signature feature, it's eye. The pose of the card, the colors, everything works to make that blue-eye as striking as possible, even the little wrinkles on the creature's eye-socket focus on making it stand out. And it works. You feel as if that dragon is staring directly at your soul. The rest of the creature feels a bit cartoonish at times, which is why I feel the card's second artwork tried to make him look more menacing and while I don´t hate it. I think simplicity worked best this time.

That said, I cannot not give a shoutout to Kazuki Takahashi's simply beatiful anniversary artwork for the card, it's absolutely breathtaking and my favorite artwork for the creature
latest

The fully drawn background does wonders to sell this as a living thing that inhabits another world. The lack of detailed backgrounds is one of the main sins of YGO artwork, and this card is a testament of what could be.

Unlike Dark Magician, Blue-Eye's design remains consistent even with the previosly mentioned coloring issues that make it look blue at times, no matter how many artworks this card gets, it never gets old. You can even throw the fucker in space and it will still look majestic. But that simple first artwork is undeniably what made the card an icon.

Blue-Eyes is well worth it's 2 tribute requirement to hit the field, but again, it was outclassed by "Summoned Skull" as the go to beater of Yu-Gi-Oh's early days, why wait until you have 2 monsters when you can just use 1 and get a 2500 beater that you can equip with axe of despair? Why risk running 3 of those fuckers and brick your deck for the unlikely event that you'll be able to fuse them into Ultimate Dragon?

In modern YGO the times have changed, and thankfully for Blue-Eyes, it's enormous batch of support geared into turning the deck into a Synchro-focused deck that also has access to great fusions monsters and have made it a force to be reckoned with in the casual circles of the game.

The lore behind the support is creative as hell, it's basically an order of Blue-Eyes worshippers that do everything in their power to get their master to the field. Even the egg of the dragon itself became a card to help you bring out the engine of destruction as fast as possible

Together with many new forms for the creature itself to take and disrupt the opponent with quick effects and non stop attacks

And even amazing Spell support

Blue-Eyes' level 8 even makes it able to make use the Xyz monsters of one of the many "-Eyes" Dragon themes inspired by it, my personal favorite "Galaxy-Eyes"

Even if not a tournament winner, Blue-Eyes is a beloved deck, one that makes it worth the pain of finding a good price for it's rarest cards.

Blue-Eyes is the card that started it all really, even the very first expansion set of the game is named after it. There's few bad things to say about it. The reason why I consider "Dark Magician" to be the face of YGO, is because I firmly believe Blue-Eyes White Dragon goes above and beyond that.

Trivia time!I In the manga and anime the spirit of the Blue-Eyes White Dragon is supposed to inhabit originally a human egyptian girl named Kisara. This piece of lore inspired the creation of "Maiden with Eyes of Blue"
Damn, they made even more Blue-Eyes cards?!

Voror

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, those manga HERO cards are way cooler looking than the anime ones. The Kamen Rider look of some of them appeals to me quite a lot as well. And just from the description it sounds more compelling than the anime, though admittedly I only really saw the first season and some of second.

I saw a Dual Power box at a local store and decided to pick it up. Actually got Galaxy Eyes Full Armor Photon Dragon which was cool along with some other neat ones. I rather wish instead of Neos you got Absolute Zero for the protaganist cards.

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Wow, those manga HERO cards are way cooler looking than the anime ones. The Kamen Rider look of some of them appeals to me quite a lot as well. And just from the description it sounds more compelling than the anime, though admittedly I only really saw the first season and some of second.

I saw a Dual Power box at a local store and decided to pick it up. Actually got Galaxy Eyes Full Armor Photon Dragon which was cool along with some other neat ones. I rather wish instead of Neos you got Absolute Zero for the protaganist cards.

By chance did you get "Photon Advancer"?

That one is very useful in the Galaxy-Eyes Photon Dragon Deck.

Also if you pulled "Infinite Impermanence" or "Ash Blossom and Winter Cherries" you have money my man

This is probably to this day the greatest Yu gi oh card of all time. The CHAOS deck is the reason behind the introduction of the banned list.

Emperor was the single most broken monster card in the game when it released. Firewall Dragon is a close second as far as game breaking monsters go

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is probably to this day the greatest Yu gi oh card of all time. The CHAOS deck is the reason behind the introduction of the banned list.
nah, even considering only the pre-errata version too many things now have protection or floating effects. The best Yugioh cards ever made are actually shit like painful choice and graceful charity that can enable so much shit. In terms of monsters something like Firewall Dragon is also leagues better

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
nah, even considering only the pre-errata version too many things now have protection or floating effects. The best Yugioh cards ever made are actually shit like painful choice and graceful charity that can enable so much shit. In terms of monsters something like Firewall Dragon is also leagues better
I don't even consider them ahahahah... They are just fucking broken ( completely "out of the rules " ) .

I remember the CHAOS format very well. It wasn't good but playing that deck was amazing.

Another insane card was the Dark Armed Dragon...

Voror

Oct 25, 2017
By chance did you get "Photon Advancer"?

That one is very useful in the Galaxy-Eyes Photon Dragon Deck.

Also if you pulled "Infinite Impermanence" or "Ash Blossom and Winter Cherries" you have money my man

Nah, didn't get that one sadly.

I got one called "Ash Blossom and Joyous Spring", but I imagine that's another one. Also got one called Evenly Matched, which seemed to be among those priced higher, but may be mistaken.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't even consider them ahahahah... They are just fucking broken ( completely "out of the rules " ) .

I remember the CHAOS format very well. It wasn't good but playing that deck was amazing.
It's also worth noting it's effect was nerfed and it's currently legal at 1 now, but nobody uses it. (and not just because no meta deck right now is capable of using it, since thunder dragons often use other chaos card like Chaos Dragon Levianeer and occasionally even Black Luster Soldier- Envoy of the Beginning)

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica

I got one called "Ash Blossom and Joyous Spring", but I imagine that's another one. Also got one called Evenly Matched, which seemed to be among those priced higher, but may be mistaken.
No, I got the name wrong.

That's the one. Evenly Matched is pricey too IIrC

edit: welp forgot Ash was reprinted and it's now worth only $10.

Still, in your hands is one of the best hand traps in the game. It plays in any deck. Keep it

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Ash Blossom and Joyous Spring is a really fucking good card, probably the most used card in the meta right now, but it won't sell for much since it was recently reprinted in the soul burner structure deck

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
It's also worth noting it's effect was nerfed and it's currently legal at 1 now, but nobody uses it. (and not just because no meta deck right now is capable of using it, since thunder dragons often use other chaos card like Chaos Dragon Levianeer and occasionally even Black Luster Soldier- Envoy of the Beginning)
Yeah i agree with you. I didn't mean that it's useful today... I meant that at the time was like something we never saw before... They introduced the banned list specifically to nerf the CHAOS deck.

Should have wrote my post better.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah i agree with you. I didn't mean that it's useful today... I meant that at the time was like something we never saw before... They introduced the banned list specifically to nerf the CHAOS deck.

Should have wrote my post better.
I'd still say Firewall Dragon is a much more broken card just by virtue of being an extra deck monster making it much more consistent to bring out, and the fact that it could be used in a lot of FTKs as well which are just fucking cancer

Voror

Oct 25, 2017
No, I got the name wrong.

That's the one. Evenly Matched is pricey too IIrC

edit: welp forgot Ash was reprinted and it's now worth only $10.

Still, in your hands is one of the best hand traps in the game. It plays in any deck. Keep it
Ash Blossom and Joyous Spring is a really fucking good card, probably the most used card in the meta right now, but it won't sell for much since it was recently reprinted in the soul burner structure deck

I remembered hearing the name some years back as being a notable card, though I couldn't remember the reason why.

Have they ever actually done meta decks or something close in the show? Granted the show makes the characters all absurdly lucky but it'd be nest if you actually saw that sort of thing.

Delio

Oct 25, 2017
I missed it but so glad you covered Masked Heroes! My favorites cards and I quickly learned that it was the right way to play a Hero deck.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017

I regretted nothing

1. Special summon Chaos Emperor Dragon
2. Revive Sangan or Witch of the Black Forest
3. Nuke the game
4. Use Sangan/Witch to search for Yata Garasu
5. Summon Yata
6. Attack
7. Win

Fucking Yatagarasu lol, so good XD

There was one match where I didn't have yata and both me and my opponent were down to like 1000 so anything can kill us and it was a race for who drew a monster first.

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I remembered hearing the name some years back as being a notable card, though I couldn't remember the reason why.

Have they ever actually done meta decks or something close in the show? Granted the show makes the characters all absurdly lucky but it'd be nest if you actually saw that sort of thing.

I think Arc-V and VRAINS make some high level plays from time to time, nothing too crazy.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I mean some anime archetypes are meta, but they pretty much never play them in the show like you'd do in the game. For instance Salmangreats is one of the most used meta decks right now (though the fact that it's relatively cheap compared to other meta decks due to most cards being in a structure deck helps), but it has a bunch of shit cards in the archetype and the anime character uses all of those as well as the good ones. And anime characters rarely ever play staple cards aside from pot of greed in the OG series and GX

Ancient Gear Golem
OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Ancient Gear Golem
Users: Vellian Crowler
Artwork:

In Duel Academy, a certain professor is in charge of testing students and newcomers. Vellian Crowler is the POS teacher that always tries to make you fail. Crowler faced Jaden Yuki himself in an attempt to prevent him from joining Duel Academy, as he arrived late to his examination, Crowler used his personal deck instead of a test deck, and Jaden still defeated him. Crowler was so humiliated that he pulled the strings to have Jaden be placed into the Slifer Red Rank, despite beating his exam was such a feat, it should've granted the rank Obelisk Blue instantly. Crowler and his real deck continue to to influence the events in Duel Academy. Despite losing to Jaden, Crowler is still a PhD in Duel Monsters, and will call fort his level 8, EARTH, Machine-Type Ace whenever a student is up to no good.

Ancient Gear Golem is one cool looking card, the artwork gives you everything this card is supposed to be. It's a golem, it looks ancient with a beautiful rust color all over it's body, and is filled with gears. The design is striking and to me at least, inspires a sense of wonder, this things look like remnants of an old failed civilization. The dark background with what appears to be charred land and gears makes me feel this is the case. One of my favorite machine monster designs.

This card's viability nosedives when you read it cannot be special summoned. No way around it, you need to waste 2 of your resources to summon it, and the effect preventing your opponent from activating spells or traps while it's attacking coupled with some nice piercing damage against defenses might seem worth it...But there's so much better cards to summon these days for 2 materials that this card doesn't seem to be worth it.

For this reason, the card received an update, a retrained version of the card was recently released alongside a lot of support.

Ultimate Pound can attack several times and when it gets destroyed, it will search for the fusion spell "Polymerization" in your deck as well as a fusion material. The newest expansion to support this card "Legendary Duelists: Ancient Millenium" kinda made this card redundant by giving Ancient Gears their own fusion spell among other toys.

A fusion spell that fuses cards in your deck will almost always be better than good old polymerization. Ah well, Ancient Gears also received support through a structure deck, which included a new boss monster and many good low level monster support.

These cards give the deck an identity and more oportunities to combo for sure....but they kinda make the OG Golem a bit unneeded. And they're not exactly AMAZING either...

Oh well, at least if you remember my Gen 5 reviews, you'll know the Obelisk Force from the Fusion Dimension used Ancient Gears as their standard warfare deck, and as such, Golem got some new friends from there too.

And look, many of these cards are great and can create a fun deck with viable win options on a casual level, but the thing is, the Golem is not the bread and butter of these decks. Not even it's new version is that, At best it's a card you'll use to get your Fusion Card to fuse from the deck. And that's not bad....But I just wish the first Ancient Gear card was the key to their strategies a bit more.

Sadly, this Golem's Gear are a bit to Ancient to keep working. And that sucks.

TRIVIA TIME

Several Ancient Gear Cards used to need Yugi's classic "Gadget" cards for some reason, "Ancient Gear Gadget" was created to avoid having to add what pretty much where dead draws in your deck to use them

Next up: Here's a hint.
pokemon_black_white_main_169.jpg

Last edited:

Farrac

Nov 3, 2017
Alcalá de Henares, Spain
According to the anime, Ancient Gear is the most consistent deck ever. Face anyone from the Obelisk Forces and they open with the exact same play and hand. I don't need to see an Acient Gear Hound ever again.

That said, Chaos Ancient Gear Giant is great. I remember getting chills when Dennis summoned it for the first time. And then Shun obliterated it from space.

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
According to the anime, Ancient Gear is the most consistent deck ever. Face anyone from the Obelisk Forces and they open with the exact same play and hand. I don't need to see an Acient Gear Hound ever again.

That said, Chaos Ancient Gear Giant is great. I remember getting chills when Dennis summoned it for the first time. And then Shun obliterated it from space.

Shun duels are a treasure.