• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Ancient Gear Golem
Generation 2: GX
Users: Vellian Crowler
Artwork:

In Duel Academy, a certain professor is in charge of testing students and newcomers. Vellian Crowler is the POS teacher that always tries to make you fail. Crowler faced Jaden Yuki himself in an attempt to prevent him from joining Duel Academy, as he arrived late to his examination, Crowler used his personal deck instead of a test deck, and Jaden still defeated him. Crowler was so humiliated that he pulled the strings to have Jaden be placed into the Slifer Red Rank, despite beating his exam was such a feat, it should've granted the rank Obelisk Blue instantly. Crowler and his real deck continue to to influence the events in Duel Academy. Despite losing to Jaden, Crowler is still a PhD in Duel Monsters, and will call fort his level 8, EARTH, Machine-Type Ace whenever a student is up to no good.

Ancient Gear Golem is one cool looking card, the artwork gives you everything this card is supposed to be. It's a golem, it looks ancient with a beautiful rust color all over it's body, and is filled with gears. The design is striking and to me at least, inspires a sense of wonder, this things look like remnants of an old failed civilization. The dark background with what appears to be charred land and gears makes me feel this is the case. One of my favorite machine monster designs.

This card's viability nosedives when you read it cannot be special summoned. No way around it, you need to waste 2 of your resources to summon it, and the effect preventing your opponent from activating spells or traps while it's attacking coupled with some nice piercing damage against defenses might seem worth it...But there's so much better cards to summon these days for 2 materials that this card doesn't seem to be worth it.

For this reason, the card received an update, a retrained version of the card was recently released alongside a lot of support.

Ultimate Pound can attack several times and when it gets destroyed, it will search for the fusion spell "Polymerization" in your deck as well as a fusion material. The newest expansion to support this card "Legendary Duelists: Ancient Millenium" kinda made this card redundant by giving Ancient Gears their own fusion spell among other toys.

A fusion spell that fuses cards in your deck will almost always be better than good old polymerization. Ah well, Ancient Gears also received support through a structure deck, which included a new boss monster and many good low level monster support.

These cards give the deck an identity and more oportunities to combo for sure....but they kinda make the OG Golem a bit unneeded. And they're not exactly AMAZING either...

Oh well, at least if you remember my Gen 5 reviews, you'll know the Obelisk Force from the Fusion Dimension used Ancient Gears as their standard warfare deck, and as such, Golem got some new friends from there too.

And look, many of these cards are great and can create a fun deck with viable win options on a casual level, but the thing is, the Golem is not the bread and butter of these decks. Not even it's new version is that, At best it's a card you'll use to get your Fusion Card to fuse from the deck. And that's not bad....But I just wish the first Ancient Gear card was the key to their strategies a bit more.

Sadly, this Golem's Gear are a bit to Ancient to keep working. And that sucks.

TRIVIA TIME

Several Ancient Gear Cards used to need Yugi's classic "Gadget" cards for some reason, "Ancient Gear Gadget" was created to avoid having to add what pretty much where dead draws in your deck to use them

Next up: Here's a hint.
pokemon_black_white_main_169.jpg
Light end dragon and dark end dragon obviously, totally not Light and Darkness dragon /s

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Why would I review Synchros for GX?

:P
Whoops didn't realize a synchro had a same name as one of Chazz's Manga only cards
And that they didn't make it to the card games... wait I just checked they are basically the same pair of cards but they got turned into synchros for the ocg/tcg?! Funky

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I really need to look into the new Thunder Dragon trend, I always liked that card as a kid in Gen 1, and now you telling me this...
Thunder dragons are a lot of fun. The common variant now is danger! Thunder dragon which I haven't been able to try out since LotD doesn't have the dangers since they're a tcg only archetype.
Also worth noting they just won a YCS apparently

Deleted member 179

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thunder dragons are a lot of fun. The common variant now is danger! Thunder dragon which I haven't been able to try out since LotD doesn't have the dangers since they're a tcg only archetype.
Also worth noting they just won a YCS apparently
That's insane lol, where did all this support come from? Like Thunder Dragon just seems like a random card to add on to. I'm gonna have to start hunting the cards in Link Evolution so I can try it out, especially because of the Chaos engine. I ran a Chaos deck in the 1st LotD that made me fall in love with them.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That's insane lol, where did all this support come from? Like Thunder Dragon just seems like a random card to add on to. I'm gonna have to start hunting the cards in Link Evolution so I can try it out, especially because of the Chaos engine. I ran a Chaos deck in the 1st LotD that made me fall in love with them.
It just randomly got an archetype made out of, no idea why lol.

Also on this topic I just want to say it's a shame the thunder dragon link monster from duel power is kind of garbage. I mean it's fine since you can just use stuff like skulldread anyways and Some Summer summoner works well enough as well, but it'd Have been cool to get a decent link 2 or 3 instead of a link 4 whose effects really aren't good enough to justify the cost

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica

Basically the new Thunder Dragon cards get bonuses when a monster activated an effect in your hand. And OG Thunder Dragon does just that.

For example, using Thunder Dragon's effect let's you summon this fusion WAY easier

latest

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Basically the new Thunder Dragon cards get bonuses when a monster activated an effect in your hand. And OG Thunder Dragon does just that.

For example, using Thunder Dragon's effect let's you summon this fusion WAY easier

latest
I find that thunder dragon works better after you've summoned titan (the other big fusion monster) since it lets you get two uses of Titan's card destroying effect with one card

Deleted member 179

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

latest
Using chaos cards with it and the bosses being fusions is pulling me in much faster than I thought. Plus, I love card types that base around the hand and banished zone.

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
Were the Pyramid of Light decks ever a thing? I remember they basically rely on the trap card of the same name. The movie version of this had a completely different effect though which basically targeted God cards only. I love that movie.

Deleted member 179

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Were the Pyramid of Light decks ever a thing? I remember they basically rely on the trap card of the same name. The movie version of this had a completely different effect though which basically targeted God cards only. I love that movie.
Ohhhhh man I forgot about the Sphinx cards! Those were highly sought after when we were kids lol

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Extremely torn between dropping £30 on Link Evolution on the JPN Nintendo eShop or playing Duel Links on my PC & Smartphone and maybe just dropping the £30 there to get packs. Any suggestions?

Those sphinx cards were my pride and joy as a kid along with blue eyes shining dragon. I didn't care whether they were actually good cards or not, I was the only one in my school to have them and i treasured them!

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Extremely torn between dropping £30 on Link Evolution on the JPN Nintendo eShop or playing Duel Links on my PC & Smartphone and maybe just dropping the £30 there to get packs. Any suggestions?
Having played and dropped duel links you can get by without spending any money and get a decent deck, however the limited format can burn you out quick. I'd say go for link evolution it's the full experience(I'm personally waiting for the western release

Bakrider

Oct 31, 2017
While never it's own deck Konami has released other Sphinx cards.

Mostly tribute monsters... with flip effects...

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
...I just figured out that VRAINS probably coms from "virtual brains" and not "virtual trains" the way I always think of it

Light and Darkness Dragon
OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Users: Chazz Princeton (Manga)
Artwork:
latest

Manga Chazz is much less of a caricature than his anime counterpart, he also was a fan of Koyo Hibiki and was present when he played his last Duel as Pro where he ended up blacking out. Koyo was kind to him and noticed one of the cards little Chazz showed him had a strange power. Chazz explained that he got it in a pack of cards he bought recently and went on with his life without realizing his level 8, LIGHT, Dragon Type Effect Monster had a spirit in it but still felt a strong connection to it.

Light and Darkness helped Chazz fight his way against Bastion Misawa and Manga! Syrus Truesdale who is no joke. And also played an important role in the story where some evil american exchange students try to get their hands on spirit cards.

Light and Darkness looks very nice even if the design of the Dragon itself is a bit generic and the color scheme is so in your face with the theme that it hurts. I feel it's the background what saves this card alongside a good pose. The Dragon looks like it exists in the middle of the clash between light and darkness. It's very impressive looking despite its generic design.

Light and Darkness was a sorta good card. It's restriction on special summon hurts it as much as it did for Ancient Gear Golem. The negation ability is nice but it's tied to an ATK loss, I can name at least 5 Synchros or Xyz monster that negate without that much of a cost. And it's effect to nuke your field and revive a card when it's destroyed is nandatory so getting it destroyed could do a lot of harm. For those reasons, it's not a very commonly used card.

No support for Light and Darkness Dragon has been released.

TRIVIA TIME!

Light and Darkness Dragon had its 2 halves from the manga made into cards too

latest

latest

You might be wondering

Why are cards that were shown to be effect monsters from GX now Synchro cards? Those came later!

Well the GX Manga was being published while 5D's was airing. And Konami thought releasing them as Synchros during the Synchro craze would make them sell better.

They weren't exactly wrong, but fans were pissed.

This card ends our short but sweet GX round two.

Next Up:

coulson-iron-man-2.gif

Last edited:

Bakrider

Oct 31, 2017
Users: Chazz Princeton (Manga)
Artwork:
latest

Manga Chazz is much less of a caricature than his anime counterpart, he also was a fan of Koyo Hibiki and was present when he played his last Duel as Pro where he ended up blacking out. Koyo was kind to him and noticed one of the cards little Chazz showed him had a strange power. Chazz explained that he got it in a pack of cards he bought recently and went on with his life without realizing his level 8, LIGHT, Dragon Type Effect Monster had a spirit in it but still felt a strong connection to it.

Light and Darkness helped Chazz fight his way against Bastion Misawa and Manga! Syrus Truesdale who is no joke. And also played an important role in the story where some evil american exchange students try to get their hands on spirit cards.

Light and Darkness looks very nice evening if the design of the Dragon itself is a bit generic and the color scheme is so in your face with the theme that it hurts. I feel it's the background what saves this card alongside a good pose. The Dragon looks like it exists in the middle of the clash between light and darkness. It's very impressive looking despite its generic design.

Light and Darkness was a sorta good card. It's restriction on special summon hurts it as much as it did for Ancient Gear Golem. The negation ability is nice but it's tied to an ATK loss, I can name at least 5 Synchros or Xyz monster that negate without that much of a cost. And it's effect to nuke your field and revive a card when it's destroyed is nandatory so getting it destroyed could do a lot of harm. For those reasons, it's not a very commonly used card.

No support for Light and Darkness Dragon has been released.

TRIVIA TIME!

Light and Darkness Dragon had its 2 halves from the manga made into cards too

latest

latest

You might be wondering

Why are cards that were shown to be effect monsters from GX now Synchro cards? Those came later!

Well the GX Manga was being published while 5D's was airing. And Konami thought releasing them as Synchros during the Synchro craze would made them sell better.

They weren't exactly wrong, but fans were pissed.

This card ends our short but sweet GX round two.

Next Up:

coulson-iron-man-2.gif
Finally time for Team Unicorn.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nordic gods were cool. Fun fact, in the anime they were actually divine attribute and divine-beast type like the egyptian gods, and the only other cards to get that attribute and that type, but sadly this didn't carry over to the real life game

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This thread made me go back and play more LotD multiplayer lol. I even had the most incredible first turn I think I've ever had with my LotD deck, which I posted about in that game's OT if anyone is interested

I was even playing against a galaxy deck, which made me think of Fj0823 as I mercilessly destroyed them lol

Thor, Lord of the Aesir.
OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Thor, Lord of the Aesir
Generation 3: 5D's
Users: Dragan
Artwork:
1199669.jpg

In 5D's Season 3, several months after the fight against the Dark Signers, Yusei, Crow and Jack (With Aki in the bench) decide to form a team and compete on the "World Racing Grand Prix" Duel Monsters tournament. They fight many battles against powerful teams with different strategies, but by far their most trying battle during the tournament is when they fight against "Team Ragnarok" the top duelist in the world, each holding their own set of God Cards in a world that hasn't seen them since the Egyptian God Cards where lost. Each hold a rune marking in their eye and the power to command one of the Nordic Gods.As the Aesir's chosen Team Ragnarok considers themselves to be the only ones able to stop the evil Ylliaster from carrying out their time travel shenanigans, and consider Yusei to be no hero as his father was the responsible of the accident that turned Satellite into a hellhole.

The Teams Clash in a battle between Maya/Inca Lore vs Nordic Lore. And one of Team Ragnarok's members gets the upper hand against Jack Atlas with his Level 10, DIVINE EARTH, Divine Beast Beast-Warrior Type, Synchro Monster. The Nordic God Thor, Lord of the Aesir! (Yeah, they were Divine cards in the anime, but I guess they couldn't make the egyptian gods a little less special...Their popularity depends on their exclusive typing I guess...)

Thor's artwork is supposed to give us the same feeling the egyptian gods gave us, he is supposed to be this breathtaking monster of a card that just radiates power...
tenor.gif

No, he looks like shit, jesus christ it's so fucking ridiculous I don't even know where to begin. The exposed underwear? Too easy. The fact that whatever he is holding looks almost nothing like a hammer? Maybe. The Popeye arms? Almost. But the main sin I want to talk about is the hilariously small head. It looks so ridiculous, it feels like someone used a "Small head" cheat code on the card's art. I can barely see his face, let alone his expression. As such you barely get any personality from the card. This is what the god of Thunder gets?...

Screw this, bring back the good Thor.
tenor.gif

Much better.

As card, Thor is...Ok? Like all the god cards his anime effects got nerfed as all hell, first, it's Synchro requirements are 1 "Nordic Beast" Tuner Monster + 2+ More Non Tuners, meaning that you will always need 3 monsters for Thor's Synchro Summon, which is in line with the Egyptian God Cards. Thor can negate the effects of all face-up monsters the opponent controls until the end phase, that's SWEET. And if Thor manages to get destroyed, you can banish a "Nordic Beast" Tuner from your graveyard, revive Thor and Inflict 800 LP damage to the opponent.

That's...already better than Ra and Slifer. #SorryNotSorry.

The problem with Thor is that "Nordic Beast" cards are not very good, particularly their Tuner.

The cards are so unable to do form a combo that you'll find yourself constantly trying to protect them with cards such as "The Nordic Lights" or other "Nordic" Spells and traps

So while Thor himself is a good card, he is dragged down by it's less than stellar Synchro Materials. There's a certain card that makes Thor's summoning much more viable, but I'll save it for later. In the meantime...

TRIVIA TIME

Thor's outfit in the anime is a little bit....revealing.
tumblr_pb2hrqmWIS1wqrlvjo1_500.jpg

So 4kids had to....Intervene...

Next Up!

c149f36fb24400636406f19d28f0594a.gif

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
GIVE ME THE SACRED BEASTS

pls

"This is Hammon, a shittier Ra. It might play with Crystal Beasts
This is Uria, a shittier Slifer, It doesn'tplay.
This is Raviel, a shittier Obelisk, It doesn't play

You can fuse them into Armytille, something that will never happen in a real game"

(I´ll get to them next time we're on GX)

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

You can fuse them into Armytille, something that will never happen in a real game"
I'd argue the sacred beasts are technically better cards than the god cards mechanically. They still suck, don't get me wrong, but at least they're special summoned rather than normal summoned and have slightly better effects.

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I'd argue the sacred beasts are technically better cards than the god cards mechanically. They still suck, don't get me wrong, but at least they're special summoned rather than normal summoned and have slightly better effects.

You're not wrong. But they don't have the power of nostalgia shielding them from the truth

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
With my previous comment said, Armityle is hilariously bad and such a fucking trash card. At least the god cards reward you with the instant win Holactie if by some miracle you manage to get them all out, instead of a card that is straight up worse than the cards you're losing

Loki, Lord of the Aesir
OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Loki, Lord of the Aesir
Users: Brave
Artwork:
latest

The second Nordic God is here!

In their battle for the WRGP, Crow Hogan faces Brave, another of the Aesir's chosen ones to fight the menace that is Ylliaster. Crow's Blackwing prove to be a formidable opponent for Brave as he needs to summon his God card early in the game. Loki is a level 10, DARK, Spellcaster-Type Synchro Monster (Should've been divine dammit).

I actually like Loki's design! It gets a beatiful Nordic background with stars and an aurora borealis shining on the night sky, the cracking ice makes it look like Loki is coming out of the ground. The monster design is better here and really sells the idea of "Mischief" with an exaggerated attire that's somehow less laughter inducing than Thor's, his hands are posed as if casting a spell and his shit eating grin makes him look like a lovable asshole.
latest

Loki is, unfortunately, the less powerful of the 3 Nordic Gods. With just 3300 ATK it's effect is nowhere near as worth the mandatory 3 monster Synchro Summon it asks for. Loki can negate a single spell or Trap your opponent uses during the battle phase. Not bad in itself but for a 3 monster Synchro Summon you probably have access to A LOT better non Nordic God options. It's effect to revive is similar to Thor's. Banish 1 "Nordic Ascendant" Tuner in the grave and he will revive from being destroyed and return trap card from your Graveyard to your hand. Meh.

But well, surely the "Nordic Alfar" cards he asks for are decent enough right?

That's not TOO bad! They have a little bit more combo options than Nordic beasts and even give you he option to Synchro with cards in your hand. Still nowhere near good enough to pull Loki consistently sadly.

But there is a new card to help!...That I'll talk about next time
tumblr_ozcqiwd2yL1wrh2j3o1_500.gif

Trivia time!

All Nordic Alfar cards were censored and gave skin tight pajamas. Those ancient Nordic spirits sure hate being naked!

Next Up:
tumblr_n14cl4Dvxk1r5mvppo4_250.gif

Last edited:
Odin,Father of the Aesir
OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Odin, Father of the Aesir
Users: Harald
Artwork:
latest

In the battle for the WRGP, Yusei had to fight Harald, Odin's chosen, in the last round. And not only did Harald gain access to Thor and Loki, he also used his Nordic Ascendant cards to quickly bring out a level 10, LIGHT, Fairy-Type Synchro Monster. The last of the Nordic Gods...Odin, Father of the Aesir!

I sometimes think that Odin was the only one of these cards they really wanted to do. The design is leagues better than any of the previous Nordic Gods. The armor is cool, the long silver beard made this old Warrior look strong and wise but somewhat fragile at the same time. The illuminated heavenly background looks beautiful too.

Odin is by far the best Nordic God. It still asks for a minimum of 3 materials but it's effect makes it inmune to the effects of spells and traps during your turn only. With a massive 4000 ATK, it will be hard for your opponent to take him down via battle. And if they destroy him with card effects, it will revive simply by banishing a Nordic Ascendant Tuner from your graveyard. And you draw 1 card!

Nordic Ascendants are possibly the best Nordic cards to bring Odin out. As their main tuner can generate tokens that make summoning this card easier

But still nowhere near enough to consistently summon Odin.

It's time to reveal the card that makes summoning this Gods with ease possible, it's a....Link Monster!
latest

Gullveig of the Nordic ascendant is a LINK-1 that can be summoned with any low level Nordic monster, and it allows you to banish 3 cards from your hand or field to summon 3 Nordic monsters from your Deck, letting you get the right Synchro Materials for any of the 3 gods you want! And not only that, since your God will have to be summoned to the zone she's pointing at, she gives a protection to that monster against opponent's effects and she can't be attacked while they're linked!

Also, if you don't have enough cards in your hand or field to use Gullveig, then just banish this new fella:

Alviss let's you instantly summon a Nordic God if Gullveig banishes him and also, it will replace your Nordic God with a new one if they ever get destroyed.

That's far better than any strategy to summon the Egyptian gods. But I'm sure you already noticed the flaw with this support. If anything happens to Gullveig before she can use her effect. You lose the Duel.

TRIVIA TIME!

The Nordic Gods eventually aid Yusei by creating a bifrost to the final boss's lair.

Next up, the last card of Gen 3 round 2.

Hint:

Last edited:

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
Were they that bad? D:
Absolutely abysmal, only notable for
A. being bad
B. being part of an obscure archetype which matters for only 1 unrelated and only slightly less bad card
C. their boss having a rare mechanic of activating in the deck (which has very special BKSS rulings).

(I´ll get to them next time we're on GX)
Except their field spell and dark summon beast existing makes them substantially better than the egyptian gods.

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Absolutely abysmal, only notable for
A. being bad
B. being part of an obscure archetype which matters for only 1 unrelated and only slightly less bad card
C. their boss having a rare mechanic of activating in the deck (which has very special BKSS rulings).

Except their field spell and dark summon beast existing makes them substantially better than the egyptian gods.

C'mon, you know I wasn't talking about about their effects or support :p

I'll go in depth on those later...

(And you're not wrong)

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
Masked Heroes and Six Samurai were my favorite archetypes.
only-villains-do-that-38706223.png

I was about to review it, but then I realized that there's very little to talk about.

It's super OP, got banned, got nerfed.

There's no need to explain why it's OP as it's so "in your face" OP

The most I can say about it that people dont already know is that it a has a recent Pendulum remake that puts such a ridiculous cost on the effects that its just a terrible card

latest
You don't use neo Emperor for the monster effect, you use it for the dragon cycling and easy summon condition.