• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Voror

Oct 25, 2017
Odin definitely has the best design of the three though I can't imagine they'd just do him if they're going to go for the whole Nordic feel at all.

Side note used an Amazon gift card to get White Dragon Abyss packs. Managed to get Galaxy Eyes on the last one along with some of the others from that set. Also managed to pull so far as I can tell the most valuable cards of the set aside from Photon Orbital. Given all the Blackwings cards I might try putting one of those together too.

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Odin definitely has the best design of the three though I can't imagine they'd just do him if they're going to go for the whole Nordic feel at all.

Side note used an Amazon gift card to get White Dragon Abyss packs. Managed to get Galaxy Eyes on the last one along with some of the others from that set. Also managed to pull so far as I can tell the most valuable cards of the set aside from Photon Orbital. Given all the Blackwings cards I might try putting one of those together too.

Too bad you didn't pull Orbital, as it's really needed for the Deck

Oh that reminds me my reviews of Gen 4 round 2 are going to be a Galaxy-Eyes fiesta

Mario Bilo

trying to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Jan 7, 2018
Too bad you didn't pull Orbital, as it's really needed for the Deck

Oh that reminds me my reviews of Gen 4 round 2 are going to be a Galaxy-Eyes fiesta
I mean to be fair Galaxy Eyes were the only good cards coming from that gen. Everything else was disappointing.

Side Note: Continuing watching VRAINS and I was on the episode where Yusaku battles Specter. I won't spoil anything, and I know Yusaku isn't exactly enjoyed over here, but I love that moment when Specter was going to monologue and Yusaku just didn't give a shit, cut him off mid-speech and got his monsters to attack. I actually chuckled at that.

Also while VRAINs probably features the most boring card designs, set designs, supporting cast and battles it probably features the best episode of the series when Brave Max takes on the random Knight of Hanoi. That thing was hilarious.

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
The tag team duel of Blood Shepherd and Emma versus Roboppi looks interesting. Also, Revolver's anti-Ignis AI will probably backfire and Team Playmaker will have to save him. Yay..........

Shooting Star Dragon
OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Shooting Star Dragon
Generation 3: 5D's
Users: Yusei Fudo
Artwork:

Years before Goku revealed his Ultra Instinct to an awesome Japanese Insert Song. Yusei Fudo achieved Clear Mind with an awesome japanese theme song.

During his first battle against the real Ylliaster (cuz they totally never were an ancient Inca cult, we swear) in Season 3, Yusei's Stardust Dragon and other Synchros were defeated by the ultimate synchro destroyer cards, the Meklords. During the encounter, Yusei's Dragon was absorbed by "Meklord Emperor Wisel" almost causing Yusei to lose. Yusei managed to win, but the experience left him legit shook. How can he win against cards specifically created to punish his Synchro Summons?

Yusei starts experimenting with ways to counter the powerful Meklords, even dancing around with Fusion Summon for a while, by fusing his "Stardust Dragon" and "Junk Warrior" into "Dragon Knight Draco-Equiste", but it's not until a mysterious ally calling himself Vizor starts guiding that Yusei finally finds his answer. Vizor shows Yusei the "Accel Synchro" technique, a Synchro Summon where all monsters involved, even the Tuner are Synchros, and which can be performed during your opponent's turn, thus making your Synchros avoid danger by synchronizing them before they get absorbed. Vizor helps Yusei obtain a special blank card and informs Yusei that his mind must attain the "Clear Mind" state and be one with the speed to reveal the card's true nature.

After a series of battles, Yusei confronts one of the Knights of Ylliaster, Placido, who once again uses Meklords to try and absorb Yusei's synchros, and in what's probably one of the most memorable moments in the entire franchise, Yusei manages to summon the Synchro/Tuner "Formula Synchron". And finally becomes one with the speed in body and soul....and with Masaki Endoh singing his heart out in the background, Yusei finally becomes able to read his blank card. A level 10, WIND, Dragon Type Monster...Shooting Star Dragon!, not wasting any moment, Yusei uses Accel Synchro to summon it during his opponent's turn!

Man that scene is so stupid but so awesome...

The design is freaking aces, this card was designed to look like a spaceship and it works so well! The wings in particular strike me as unique, they look like wings of a sci-fi starfighter like something from Star Wars. The bright white body with emerald accents is great, and the robotic face of the dragon looks much cooler than Stardust's space shark looking face. It looks amazing and the background being space with a single green shooting star at the center is maybe too obvious, but great looking nonetheless. The pose is energetic too, this Dragon means business.

tumblr_prswm10Zf91xwxm5go4_400.gif

Shooting Star Dragon is the whole package. It has everything you may want from a card. Like his previous form, it can negate destruction effects once per turn, but it no longer needs to tribute itself to do so! Instead, you can tribute it to negate your opponent's attacks! And just like Stardust it will revive itself at the end of that turn!, not only that, but if you feel like you can pull a Yugi and DRAW A MONSTA CARDO, it has an effect where you can show the next 5 cards in your deck, and Shooting Star Dragon will be able to attack 1 time for each Tuner monster revealed. I absolutely adore this card, and that single episode of 5D's is what made me return to the game in full after years of just casually collecting cards here and there.

Link summon rules have made summoning Shooting Star way harder than it was before, I mean, it's still doable if you build a deck focused on it. But you won't be pulling off something like that very consistently, there's other ways to get the card out of course, but Synchro Summon it is what feels awesome and now. the fact that the best Link to use in a Synchro Deck "Cryston Needlefiber" hasn't been released makes it hard to achieve.

No direct support has been released for Shooting Star, besides an easier to summon version of it being released, the Synchro/Tuner "Shooting Riser Dragon" which can help bring Shooting Star out, although there's better uses for it.

TRIVIA TIME!

Masaki Endoh also sang 5D's openings 4 and 5

That's it for Gen 3 this round!

Next Up!
FYmA.gif

Wiseblade

Oct 26, 2017
It's a shame Konami have shied away from mythology cards, the Nordic archetype showed that they were on the verge of really figuring it out. Part of me wishes that the Noble Knight archetype ended up with at least one huge monster to serve as the God card of that summoning mechanic, but it wasn't meant to be it seems.

Gagaga Magician and Gagaga Girl
OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Gagaga Magician
Generation 4: ZEXAL
Users: Yuma Tsukumo
Artwork:

latest

Remember when I compared ZEXAL to "The Force Awakens"? Yeah, I stand by it. Here's Yuma's Not-Dark Magician.

Lore wise, there's nothing special to say about Gagaga Magician, he's just another card in Yuma's deck referencing the OG show but with a japanese onomatopeia shoved in it's name. Gagaga cards are supposed to be a bunch of delinquent highschoolers from the wizardry school "Gagaga Academy". And Gaga Magician is their leader. So there's a Gagaga equivalent for many of Yugi's most famous cards such as "Gagaga Gardna" referencing "Big Shield Gardna" and so on.

Design Wise, I can't help but think Gagaga Magician is a bit overdesigned, he looks like Dark Magician but he also has the 4th Hokage's coat! And also he covers his face and eye like Kakashi Hatake, and he has an armor with gigantic shoulder pauldrons and you know what? Let's add a CHAIN to really show you that this is a japanese highschool delinquent. The background is generic and lacking energy, which is par for the course for ZEXAL cards not named Galaxy-Eyes. I feel like Gagaga magician should lose the armor and just leave the "School Uniform" to make it look a little bit better. I can´t say that Gagaga Magician wouldn't look cool to my 15 year old self, but that's not exactly high praise.
tumblr_pa1cozqTtC1x1bydbo1_500.gif

Gagaga Magician's effect is just changing his level from 1 to 8, allowing you to set up any Xyz summon you might need, There can only be one in the field to avoid you abusing special summons to get high Rank Xyz too easily and it can never be used for a Synchro Summon as it would also make them very easy to achieve...The restrictions hurt it a lot as it's effect and combo potential are not that good. Even a fully fledged "Gagaga" has trouble setting up Xyz summons due to the insane amount of restrictions the Gagaga cards have on them to get their effects goings, such as their main special summon card "Gagaga Academy Emergency Network" restricts you to only use Xyz summons as your only special summon after you activate the card....making it hard to swarm monsters to use for your Xyz. Link Summon Rules make them even worse to use. I should know....I have a Gagaga Deck.

Why do I have a Gagaga deck?...well...*Sigh*

Gagaga Girl
Artwork:
latest

Hey RedHoodedOwl I know you hate it, and Agni Kai I know you love it. it's WAIFU TIME.

Because if there is one card in this godforsaken game that is almost as popular a "Waifu" as "Dark Magician Girl" is Not-Dark Magician Girl herself Gagaga Girl!. And a lot of that comes because the anime gave Gagaga Girl a lot of personality....and I mean A LOT. Way more than DMG actually, which caused players to no only like her on a superficial level but also her little "tough girl" act.

First, let's start with the artwork. GODDAMN look at that background! Those beautiful magical circles are in my opinion, the absolute best background in the ZEXAL era. Gagaga Girl's design was heavily censored in the TCG, with her OCG design being a bit more revealing. I understand the need of changing the design a bit but I feel the longer sleeves take a bit from her "Tryhard bad girl" personality away, but it's nothing that important as I LOVE her dress, it's as overdesigned as Magician's, but this one works much better, she looks cute!. I´m not exactly a fan of her bored face though. Also, like any highschooler, she uses her Skull decorated smartphone all the time, even for attacking!

latest

Gagaga Girl is Gagaga Magician´s underclassman and she REALLY wants Senpai to notice her. So much so that when she's defeated in battle she goes back to school and apologizes to Senpai for not being cool enough for the gang.
tumblr_mclm1wkuME1rre39qo1_500.gif

Despite trying so hard to be a cool member of the Gagaga gang, Gagaga Girl is actually quite timid and gets flusttered often when Yuma or his opponents comments on her.
tumblr_mcp4ljhNwm1rn7rzno1_500.gif

tumblr_mldenlV7JH1qmjlowo1_400.gif

The gifs above are to prove my point that the anime team really gave this card a personality, and it worked. As despite ZEXAL being not very good, Gagaga Girl remains a very popular card among the fandom. Way more than Yugi's latter Magician Girls

Gagaga Girl's effects allow her to match the level of a "Gagaga Magician" on the field and for any Xyz monster that uses her and another "Gagaga" monster as Materials to get the additional effect of dropping a monster to 0 ATK, which makes an OTK possible by using her and Gagaga Magician to summon this:

Gagaga cards have not received any meaningful support or Link support since the end of Gen 4. Which as someone who built the deck when I was younger, is a bit frustrating.

Trivia Time!

Judges at certain events in 2012 got a "Gagaga Girl" playmat. And it became a pretty desired collector's item with the fandom at the time
1117304.jpg

Next Up!
Tachyon.jpg

Voror you won't want to miss this one!

Last edited:

Voror

Oct 25, 2017
Wait they actually had sequences where she goes back to school after being defeated? I like when they give the cards a bit of personality to them which they clearly did a lot of here. There was some of that with Dark Magician at times in the first series.

I am very curious to see what this is.

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Gagaga Magician
Artwork:

latest

Remember when I compared ZEXAL to "The Force Awakens"? Yeah, I stand by it. Here's Yuma's Not-Dark Magician.

Lore wise, there's nothing special to say about Gagaga Magician, he's just another card in Yuma's refe deck referencing the OG show but with a japanese onomatopeia shoved in it's name. Gagaga cards are supposed to be a bunch of delinquent highschoolers from the wizardry school "Gagaga Academy". And Gaga Magician is their leader. So there's a Gagaga equivalent for many of Yugi's most famous cards such as "Gagaga Gardna" referencing "Big Shield Gardna" and so on.

Design Wise, I can't help but think Gagaga Magician is a bit overdesigned, he looks like Dark Magician but he also has the 4th Hokage's coat! And also he covers his face and eye like Kakashi Hatake, and he has an armor with gigantic shoulder pauldrons and you know what? Let's add a CHAIN to really show you that this is a japanese highschool delinquent. The background is generic and lacking energy, which is par for the course for ZEXAL cards not named Galaxy-Eyes. I feel like Gagaga magician should lose the armor and just leave the "School Uniform" to make it look a little bit better. I can´t say that Gagaga Magician wouldn't look cool to my 15 year old self, but that's not exactly high praise.
tumblr_pa1cozqTtC1x1bydbo1_500.gif

Gagaga Magician's effect is just changing his level from 1 to 8, allowing you to set up any Xyz summon you might need, There can only be one in the field to avoid you abusing special summons to get high Rank Xyz too easily and it can never be used for a Synchro Summon as it would also make them very easy to achieve...The restrictions hurt it a lot as it's effect and combo potential are not that good. Even a fully fledged "Gagaga" has trouble setting up Xyz summons due to the insane amount of restrictions the Gagaga cards have on them to get their effects goings, such as their main special summon card "Gagaga Academy Emergency Network" restricts you to only use Xyz summons as your only special summon after you activate the card....making it hard to swarm monsters to use for your Xyz. Link Summon Rules make them even worse to use. I should now....I have a Gagaga Deck.

Why do I have a Gagaga deck?...well...*Sigh*

Gagaga Girl
Artwork:
latest

Hey RedHoodedOwl I know you hate it, and Agni Kai I know you love it. it's WAIFU TIME.

Because if there is one card in this godforsaken game that is almost as popular a "Waifu" as "Dark Magician Girl" is Not-Dark Magician Girl herself Gagaga Girl!. And a lot of that comes because the anime gave Gagaga Girl a lot of personality....and I mean A LOT. Way more than DMG actually, which caused players to no only like her on a superficial level but also her little "tough girl" act.

First, let's start with the artwork. GODDAMN look at that background! Those beautiful magical circles are in my opinion, the absolute best in the ZEXAL era. Gagaga Girl's design was heavily censored in the TCG, with her OCG design being a bit more revealing. I understand the need of changing the design a bit but I feel the longer sleeves take a bit from her "Tryhard bad girl" personality away, but it's nothing that important as I LOVE her dress, it's as overdesigned as Magician's, but this one works much better, she looks cute!. I´m not exactly a fan of her bored face though. Also, like any highschooler, she uses her Skull decorated smartphone all the time, even for attacking!

latest

Gagaga Girl is Gagaga Magician´s underclassman and she REALLY wants Senpai to notice her. So much so that when she's defeated in battle she goes back to school and apologizes to Senpai for not being cool enough for the gang.

Despite trying so hard to be a cool member of the Gagaga gang, Gagaga Girl is actually quite timid and gets flusttered often when Yuma or his opponents comments on her.

The gifs above are to prove my point that the anime team really gave this card a personality, and it worked. As despite ZEXAL being not very good, Gagaga Girl remains a very popular card among the fandom. Way more than Yugi's latter Magician Girls

Gagaga Girl's effects allow her to match the level of a "Gagaga Magician" on the field and for any Xyz monster that uses her and another "Gagaga" monster as Materials to get the additional effect of dropping a monster to 0 ATK, which makes an OTK possible by using her and Gagaga Magician to summon this:

Gagaga cards have not received any meaningful support or Link support since the end of Gen 4. Which as someone who built the deck when I was younger, is a bit frustrating.

Trivia Time!

Judges at certain events in 2012 got a "Gagaga Girl" playmat. And it became a pretty desired collector's item with the fandom at the time
1117304.jpg

Next Up!
Tachyon.jpg

Voror you won't want to miss this one!

I'm not sure what the dimensional dildo is supposed to represent.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Oh hell yes just saw this thread and I am gonna go ham reading your thoughts!

Lmao starting on the last page I got to see Gagaga Girl. yea I stan her now she rocks

Feb 24, 2018
I know I'm way late in asking this but I've been wondering, why did the Dark Magician get so many colour variations and why the Red and Blue became the default in the card game yet the purple one the default in the marketing and other media (toys, anime, Jump Force, even the colourised version of the manga)?

If it's because he's Red and Blue in like one or two covers of the manga, the Dragon Ball and other Manga had some incredibly weird version of characters in covers but ignored them and if he was always supposed to be red and blue, why did both anime (the toei one also had him as purple though with green highlights) and not just change the purple version later?

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
Gagaga Girl
Artwork:
latest

First, let's start with the artwork. GODDAMN look at that background! Those beautiful magical circles are in my opinion, the absolute best background in the ZEXAL era. Gagaga Girl's design was heavily censored in the TCG, with her OCG design being a bit more revealing. I understand the need of changing the design a bit but I feel the longer sleeves take a bit from her "Tryhard bad girl" personality away, but it's nothing that important as I LOVE her dress, it's as overdesigned as Magician's, but this one works much better, she looks cute!. I´m not exactly a fan of her bored face though. Also, like any highschooler, she uses her Skull decorated smartphone all the time, even for attacking!

latest

Dear Lord, why do you do this to me, OP? Now I find myself ordering 3 copies of GaGaGa Girl that I have no way of using in the Dark Magician Girl Deck I'm currently building; yet, I still want this card. I'm a shameless person.

Cyberninja776

Oct 28, 2017
Dear Lord, why do you do this to me, OP? Now I find myself ordering 3 copies of GaGaGa Girl that I have no way of using in the Dark Magician Girl Deck I'm currently building; yet, I still want this card. I'm a shameless person.

Stop building a Dark Magician Girl deck and make it an all purpose waifu deck instead. Problem solved.

Number 107: Galaxy-Eyes Tachyon Dragon
OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I'm not sure what the dimensional dildo is supposed to represent.
I am very curious to see what this is.

It's a representation of a Tachyon, a hypothetical particle that can travel faster than the speed of light.

Number 107: Galaxy-Eyes Tachyon Dragon
Users: Mizael
Artwork:
Number_107__Galaxy_Eyes_Tachyon_Dragon.jpg

During the Barian Onslaught, Kaito Tenjo found himself a rival for the title of "Master of the Galaxy-Eyes Dragon", the evil Barian, Mizael. Mizel is extremely arrogant and prideful about the fact that he can control an extremely powerful "Galaxy-Eyes" Dragon, something that earned him a lot of respect amongst the other Barians. HIs rivalry with Kaito makes "Tachyon Dragon" and "Photon Dragon" clash on several intense duels while they both try to find the truth about their dragons and their relationship with the strongest card in the universe they're all fighting for, "The Numeron Code", a card created from the tears of the Dragon God who created the universe and whose wielder basically gets the power of the Infinity Gauntlet. (No, I'm serious. THAT's the plot of late ZEXAL)

Mizael is one of the toughest Barian's and his duels against the equally tough Kaito are highlights of ZEXAL. Even if his cards are not that great, Mizael certainly left an impression with his Rank 8, LIGHT, Dragon-Type Xyz monster which among the "Numbers" not only it goes above 100 like all Barian Numbers, but it has the highest Number out of them all.

Tachyon Dragon is one of my favorite ZEXAL designs, the Galaxy in the background having a red tint is a a reference to this card being from the Barian's Galaxy and not ours, which is a nice little detail, the creature itself is so different from "Photon Dragon" that you couldn't tell me the two cards are related just by looking at them, and I actually like that, it just being a Photon Dragon ripoff would've been lame...Like Imagine if your big villain just has a dark evil version of the main character's ace that would be so boring (Oh wait, VRAINS is doing it, of course it is). The Dragon itself is plated in a pitch black armor, and it makes sense that it's black as this is a monster made of particles faster than light itself, so light never reaches it. It's pose is majestic and the mechanical look is awesome. It's a decepticon dragon dammit, what's not to love?
ShamefulSmoothCottontail-size_restricted.gif

Tachyon Dragon's effects are simply amazing. At the start of the battle phase it will negate the effect of all other face-up monsters in the field, and also bring their ATK/DEF back to their original value. This effect can ruin so many perfectly set up boards alone that on itself it makes it already worth the 2 level 8 monster asking price for it's Xyz summon. But that's not all, if ANY effect gets resolved during the battle phase in which Tachyon used its effect, Tachyon will gain 1000 ATK and an additional attack.

Mizael plays his Tachyon Dragon with shittastic cards like "Parsec, the Interstellar Dragon" and "Radius, the Half-Moon Dragon". But you are not a bad player so you'll want to use Tachyon Dragon's amazing effects in a "Blue-Eyes" deck or specially in Kaito's "Galaxy/Photon" deck.

You think we're done here? No sir. Remember, Mizael is a Barian, which means he had access to "Rank-Up-Magic Barian's Force" to upgrade his card even further through a "Rank Up"

And no, I'm not gonna pretend "Neo Galaxy-Eyes Tachyon Dragon" ´s art is not a tacky mess and a total downgrade visually...but Holy Shit. This card prevents the opposing player from activating any effects! (Later errata'd to "Effects on the field"). With 4500 ATK that's literally game right there...AND it can attack more than once? That's overkill. Unfortunately, the best "Rank-Up-Magic" to bring out this card got banned. Thankfully, a certain upcoming card seems to be able to bring out this behemoth easily. But as of now, the Link Rules and the banning of "Argent Chaos Force" makes bringing him out a bit too hard.

And speaking of Links! Tachyon Dragon gets his own upcoming Link support soon with "Galaxy Satellite Dragon"

2 Dragon monsters
During the Battle Phase (Quick Effect): You can banish this card from your field or GY, then target 1 "Number" Xyz Monster you control that was originally a LIGHT Dragon; until the end of the Battle Phase, any battle damage your opponent takes is halved, also that monster's ATK becomes equal to the "Number" in its name x 100. During your opponent's End Phase: You can choose 1 card from your Deck and place it on top of your Deck. You can only use each effect of "Galaxy Satellite Dragon" once per turn.

10700 ATK Tachyon Dragon anyone?. This Link is nowhere near as good as "Galaxy-Eyes Solflare Dragon" but I'm keeping an eye out for it nonetheless

And Finally. The last card that makes Tachyon Dragon such a great option is...a trap card.

Tachyon Transmigration allows you to negate any previously activated cards in a chain of effects and shuffle the cards back to the deck, which is already amazing. But if the "Galaxy-Eyes" needed to activate it in your field is a "Tachyon Dragon" too you can activate it from the hand without needing to set it. A true "hand trap".

Closing thoughts. It's fucking great.

TRIVIA TIME

Tachyon Transmigration shows "Galaxy-Eyes Tachyon Dragon" in it's dormant state, before transforming decepticon style in it's true form.

Next up!
a501fa4706bcfed0c066e6f30e30b521.gif

Last edited:

Voror

Oct 25, 2017
Ooh I really dig the design on this one. Have to agree that the Neo version is a tad tacky, but that certainly a cool effect.

As far as arc plots go, that's not a bad angle to take either.

I've never been good at deckbuilding since I'm not the best judge but how do you figure how many of a card to have in the deck? Cards like this one would go in the Extra Deck right, but do you want to include more than one or can you only have one of each there?

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Ooh I really dig the design on this one. Have to agree that the Neo version is a tad tacky, but that certainly a cool effect.

As far as arc plots go, that's not a bad angle to take either.

I've never been good at deckbuilding since I'm not the best judge but how do you figure how many of a card to have in the deck? Cards like this one would go in the Extra Deck right, but do you want to include more than one or can you only have one of each there?

Besides Solflare Dragon which is your link to set up plays at 2-3 and maybe our next card at 2. I'd play 1 of each Galaxy-Eyes Xyz

Voror

Oct 25, 2017
Besides Solflare Dragon which is your link to set up plays at 2-3 and maybe our next card at 2. I'd play 1 of each Galaxy-Eyes Xyz

Are links the only ones you might do extras of? Would there be cases where you'd want to have multiples of an Xyz or Synchro monster or generally no?

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Are links the only ones you might do extras of? Would there be cases where you'd want to have multiples of an Xyz or Synchro monster or generally no?

There will be lots of Decks that require 2-3 of a Synchro/Xyz/Fusion and maybe just 1 of a Link. I was talking about Galaxy-Eyes specifically.

The only way to find out what feels best for you it's to play and practice. You will develop a "feeling" of which cards should have more copies the more you play the deck and familiarize with it

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean you can still use the 7th one to rank up tachyon, it's just the very definition of a ludicrously inconsistent card lol

Voror

Oct 25, 2017
There will be lots of Decks that require 2-3 of a Synchro/Xyz/Fusion and maybe just 1 of a Link. I was talking about Galaxy-Eyes specifically.

The only way to find out what feels best for you it's to play and practice. You will develop a "feeling" of which cards should have more copies the more you play the deck and familiarize with it

Gotcha. Sorry for such questions. Only ever played back in the first generation and I wouldn't say I had much in the way of strategy.

May need to look up some tutorials though I suppose those would be present in Link Evolution once that comes out over here as well.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Gotcha. Sorry for such questions. Only ever played back in the first generation and I wouldn't say I had much in the way of strategy.

May need to look up some tutorials though I suppose those would be present in Link Evolution once that comes out over here as well.
An example is my thunder dragon deck in LotD has 3 of the fusion boss monsters, but all the links are one ofs except some summer summoners who I have multiples of but only really use to bring out more of the fusion boss monsters

Cyberninja776

Oct 28, 2017
This is a genius idea. I will be known as the Waifu Deck Master.

I'm actually having lots of fun building my own deck instead of following strategies on the internet.

Oh no what have I done?

That's personally what I've always done when deck building, I know my stuff will never be meta but hey I fun and what else matters at the end of the day?

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I personally make my decks using the internet as a reference but not copying any specific deck list than tweaking it as I play

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I try to build decks to mess with an opponents head or just fits my fancy or both(doing 4 Special beam cannons in a row on the same turn when I played the Dragonball super tcg was epic)

Personally a deck that suppresses special summoning would be my style

Bakrider

Oct 31, 2017
I tend to try and design my decks to have multiple 2/3 card OTKs but I'm not locked to those combos.

I do love Special Summoning, especially from the Extra Deck.

Currently loving the new D-Hero support. The deck is so fun.

Number 62: Galaxy-Eyes Prime Photon Dragon
OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Number 62: Galaxy-Eyes Prime Photon Dragon
Users: Kaito Tenjo
Artwork:

latest

Kaito figures out the truth about the Galax-Eyes Dragons, their clash will eventually summon a 3rd Dragon with the power to awaken the Numeron Code. The last of Astral's Numbers, Number 100: Numeron Dragon. On his side of things, Mizael finds out that the Numeron Dragon is resting on the moon, so he challenges Kaito to one final clash for the title of master of Galaxy-Eyes and for the right to claim "Numeron Dragon" for their team. Kaito has his trusty robot companion "Orbital 7" transform into a space suit, and he finds his way to the moon, to face Mizael one last time. CARD GAMES IN SPACE BABY.

Before the battle, the audience is left to wonder why none of the previous clashes between "Galaxy-Eyes" Dragons awakened Numeron Dragon. The Battle begins, and Kaito and Mizael quickly upgrade their Dragons to their "Neo" forms. However, Kaito's "Neo Galaxy-Eyes Photon Dragon" proves to be no match to "Number C107: Neo Galaxy-Eyes Tachyon Dragon", as the latter is a Number monster and thus has more power. Kaito finally figures out the final piece of the puzzle. His Galaxy-Eyes is not fighting in it's true form, and he must awaken it's true, primal form. A Rank 8, LIGHT, Dragon-Type Xyz monster, a Number, "Number 62: Galaxy-Eyes Prime Photon Dragon"!

Prime Photon is just Galaxy-Eyes Photon Dragon with more shit on top of it, it has more armor, and there's a weird structure in it's back with what appears to be extra wings and tails. The new armor being black with green accents looks nice, but I can't help but feel this version of the card has too long arms and neck. Still, it's an easy to follow design despite all the extra stuff going on top GEPD, and it's a much much better looking upgrade than "Neo-Galaxy Eyes Photon Dragon" and it's awful wings with faces on them. The background is the traditional Galaxy-themed background that Galaxy monsters appear to have and it works pretty nicely. If there's one thing I would take out, are the weird structures in the back of it legs. Makes me feel that this design is so busy that it comes with some support structure to make it stand included. Still I can't say I don't like the design. Really cool.

Prime Photon Dragon is only commanded by Kaito once, because even though it wins him the duel with ease. The battle against Mizael was so intense his space suit is damaged, causing him to freeze to death. Before dying he says his goodbyes and leaves his hard earned "Numeron Dragon" to Mizael, trusting he would make the right choice. This is probably one of my favorite ZEXAL scenes.

Prime Photon Dragon puts the "Beast" in beatstick, as it requires 2 level 8 monster's to be summoned )as opposed to "Neo Galaxy-Eyes Photon Dragon" insane 3 level 8 requirement) for an impressive 4000 ATK. It's effect halves any damage your opponent would take from battles involving it unless there's a classic "Galaxy-Eyes Photon Dragon" beneath it as an Xyz material. Whenever Prime Photon attacks, you may detach 1 Xyz material to make Prime Photon gain 200 ATK times the combined ranks of all Xyz monsters on the field, including itself. That means this card can attack for a minimum of 5600 ATK! However you will only get to deal full damage once, as you will eventually have to remove the GEPD beneath Prime Photon, thus activating its effect to halve all damage. It's 3rd effect let's it revive on the 2nd Stand-By phase after it gets destroyed with its ATK doubled to a whopping 8000. But as revived Xyz monsters don't get their Materials back, it will always do half damage. Despite the half damage balance, this card is great, dishing out massive, most of the time game ending damage.

The "Galaxy" deck can bring out this card pretty easily, with cards such as "Galaxy Knight", "Galaxy Wizard" and "Galaxy-Expedition"

Prime Photon is not only played for it's damage output but also for its easy summon requirements, which makes summoning cards like "Galaxy-Eyes Cipher Blade Dragon" and "Galaxy-Eyes Full Armor Photon Dragon" pretty easily, and that's why you can play 2 of this one, Voror ,one for damage, one to use it as materials for other Xyz that can be summoned with another Galaxy Xyz

TRIVIA TIME!

Prime Photon Dragon is the cover card of the Expansion "Primal Origin"
latest

NEXT UP!... A bit of a cheat, as this card has never featured in the shows. BUT! it's heavily featured in Duel Links and I cannot talk about Gen 4 without talking about this card. Here's your hint:
Big-Bus-Tours-Miami-Guide-Passengers-12-01-17.jpg

Last edited:

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Tour guide to the underworld next?
Also Photon Prime is kind of a shit card. Having a bunch of attack points is really, really underwhelming as an effect, especially since without the normal GEPD as material it does half damage meaning it's not even great at OTKing which is the one thing super high attack is actually really useful for nowadays

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Also Photon Prime is kind of a shit card. Having a bunch of attack points is really, really underwhelming as an effect, especially since without the normal GEPD as material it does half damage meaning it's not even great at OTKing which is the one thing super high attack is actually really useful for nowadays

You use it to summon another Xyz mostly, but it helps dishing out damage from time to time. But it's not for OTKing as you said.

Galaxy is a deck I like because despite it's massive attack and agro strategy, it feels balanced and not an OTK machine. I'm not super into OTKing when playing with friends. That's why I'm not a tournament player.

Thores

Oct 25, 2017
Prime Photon Dragon is only commanded by Kaito once, because even though it wins him the duel with ease. The battle against Mizael was so intense his space suit is damaged, causing him to freeze to death. Before dying he says his goodbyes and leaves his hard earned "Numeron Dragon" to Mizael, trusting he would make the right choice. This is probably one of my favorite ZEXAL scenes.

Wow, damn.

How does the dub handle that particular arc?

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
Being as high as it is makes it supremely good at battle removal. Keep in mind it existed prior to lightning.

It was a staple rank 8 at the time.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
It's too bad only three Nordic god cards were made, Ratatosk the Norse Squirrel God of insults(seriously, it literally runs up and down Ydrisal taunting beasts to try and destroy the tree) would have been a great fit for a card for this game on the anime/manga side at least with all the awesome smack talk

GustyGardner

Oct 27, 2017

Holy shit... I'm normally not one to rag on the Yugioh dub but this shit is horrendous. Everything from the pacing, dialogue to voice acting is such a massive downgrade its laughable. Like, if I hadn't seen the subbed clip first I wouldn't have even realised the guy was dying lmao. Plus what the fuck is up with some of those voices? I've never seen even a minute of ZeXal before (well, before now!) and that's seriosuly the voice they chose for the protagonist? I could barely understand a single thing he said!

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Holy shit... I'm normally not one to rag on the Yugioh dub but this shit is horrendous. Everything from the pacing, dialogue to voice acting is such a massive downgrade its laughable. Like, if I hadn't seen the subbed clip first I wouldn't have even realised the guy was dying lmao. Plus what the fuck is up with some of those voices? I've never seen even a minute of ZeXal before (well, before now!) and that's seriosuly the voice they chose for the protagonist? I could barely understand a single thing he said!

Yet you have people on the other thread saying the shows are better because these kind of dubs give the source material the "respect it deserves"

For every so bad it's amazing dub moment like the Arnold Schwarzenegger elephant, there's 100 moments like this one that are just plain awful or incomprehensible.

Also you're not supposed to know Kaito is dying in the dub. YGO dubs infamously remove any kind of stakes and death.

He'll be okay, the ambulance will reach the moon in no time.

Farrac

Nov 3, 2017
Alcalá de Henares, Spain
Yet you have people on the other thread saying the shows are better because these kind of dubs give the source material the "respect it deserves"

For every so bad it's amazing dub moment like the Arnold Schwarzenegger elephant, there's 100 moments like this one that are just plain awful or incomprehensible.

Also you're not supposed to know Kaito is dying in the dub. YGO dubs infamously remove any kind of stakes and death.

Yeah, pretty much. The thing about the GX dub is that the show is a pure acid trip even in the original so I feel that not taking it seriously enhances the experience in a way. Even then, they chose to go full abridged precisely during the season where the original actually started taking itself seriously, weirdly enough.

GustyGardner

Oct 27, 2017

Ah, how could I forget. I'm sure he'll emerge from the Shadow Realm as good as new aaaaaany day now....

Even after a few years, I'm still in disbeief that the Shadow Realm was a 4Kids invention. It was basically the quintessential piece of Yugioh lore throughout my childhood and it was all a lie.

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, how could I forget. I'm sure he'll emerge from the Shadow Realm as good as new aaaaaany day now....

Even after a few years, I'm still in disbeief that the Shadow Realm was a 4Kids invention. It was basically the quintessential piece of Yugioh lore throughout my childhood and it was all a lie.
Yeah, it takes a little bit from the original IIRC to lend it a bit of legitimacy, IIRC, though. But it really does get extra egregious in Battle City. It's actually kind of funny that the dub already has the blatant "dark energy disks" and the glass shattering causing the loser to "fall into a portal into the Shadow Realm"... but then in the Yugi vs brainwashed Joey duel, the stakes even in the dub are that the loser is going to be dragged down into the depths of the ocean to drown to death. Surprised the dub didn't try to throw more Shadow Realm portals or whatever in there...

SeroTyler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Awesome thread, my nostalgia ends about halfway through GX, but it's been fun to see what insanity the game has gotten up to since then.
Surprised the dub didn't try to throw more Shadow Realm portals or whatever in there...
Probably only because neither of them went in, thanks to Kaiba and his deadly throwing cards.
TG3Ld_.gif

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I mean in fairness zexal resurrected everyone at the end anyways

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I really enjoy this thread, even when I just care for the first two gens and have no idea who sync, link or Zyxel Monster are supposed to work at all.

Would love to get a black magican of chaos review :D

Voror

Oct 25, 2017
Prime is pretty cool and I actually like the longer limbs for it. I like Neo too but I agree on the faces being rather dumb.

Neo Tachyon still seems weirdest in how much of a change it is, mainly with the coloring. Neo GE still has some color elements despite the blue changing to red. Neo Tachyon going full gold just seems off.

Also, what the hell are cards made of in the YGO series? I remember Kaiba ripping up a Blue Eyes like it was nothing but the way these things get used that doesn't make any sense. 5ds has Crow getting them out of the trash in good condition. Do they all just have really good sleeves on them that you can't see?

Farrac

Nov 3, 2017
Alcalá de Henares, Spain
Prime is pretty cool and I actually like the longer limbs for it. I like Neo too but I agree on the faces being rather dumb.

Neo Tachyon still seems weirdest in how much of a change it is, mainly with the coloring. Neo GE still has some color elements despite the blue changing to red. Neo Tachyon going full gold just seems off.

Also, what the hell are cards made of in the YGO series? I remember Kaiba ripping up a Blue Eyes like it was nothing but the way these things get used that doesn't make any sense. 5ds has Crow getting them out of the trash in good condition. Do they all just have really good sleeves on them that you can't see?
In Arc-V like half of the world population gets turned into cards and the show pretends they are all in mint condition and get restored in the end.

Tour Guide from the Underworld
OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Tour Guide from the Underworld
Users: N/A
Artwork:

I'm going to be a bit of a cheat here as this card never made appeared in the anime.

If you have played "Duel Links" you've probably seen this card as your guide through the overworld and your source of challenge puzzles. You probably thought it was just a random card they decided to use for the game, but nope. Tour Guide is one of the most well known and beloved cards in the game, not only for it's cute looks, not only for the fact that it broke the game when it came out, but because it's an important part of Yu-Gi-Oh! History.

In the very last expansion of the 5D's era, "Extreme Victory", a peculiar card was included as a secret rare card. A level 3, DARK, Fiend-Type Effect monster called "Tour Guide from the Underworld", with the effect to summon a level 3 Fiend-Type Monster straight from the deck, but negating its effect and making it unavailable for Synchro Summon. So the conversation around it went like this:

Many Players: "No Synchro Summon? LMAO this game is all about Synchro Summon, this card is total trash, why is it a secret rare?"
Any decent player: "You know, that Xyz Summon mechanic just got announced in japan and it works with monsters with the same levels...This card seems like an instant Xyz summon"
Many Players: "That Xyz crap will never catch on, here you can have my Tour Guide for chump change"

So a couple of months later the expansion "Generation Force" becomes available and Xyz monsters finally debuted in the TCG. At first any players were confused about the concept of Xyz Materials (The fact that monsters used to summon an Xyz monster are stacked beneath the summoned Xyz monster). Konami Japan made very VERY clear from day 1 in the OCG that cards beneath an Xyz monster are NEVER counted as individual cards on the field as they are considered part of the Xyz monster. But Konami USA decided to go full idiot and say "Well despite the fact that our japanese branch already said how it works, we believe the cards should be counted as cards on the field, however this is under review, for now, play them as if they counted"

1 word. "Sangan"

Tour Guide being a 1 card Xyz already made it an incredibly good option to bring out cards like the at the time new "Number 17: Leviathan Dragon" so she started seeing some popularity and an increase in demand and price...but the moment Konami USA decided to utter those words, all hell broke lose. Tour Guide now had the ability to summon Sangan, Xyz into Leviathan Dragon, use Leviathan's effect to detach a material to increase its attack, and if you detached "Sangan" it would be considered that it was sent to the graveyard from the field thus activating Sangan's effect, letting you search for another Tour Guide and continue from there.

Tour Guide skyrocketed in price, and I saw people paying $200+ for 1 copy. Tour Guide became the staple card on most decks, a way to get a powerful monster out and thin out your deck in the process. To this day, I firmly believe the decision to go against the OCG was motivated entirely to sell as many of the shittastic "Extreme Victory" set as possible on the back of Tour Guide.

Eventually, Konami USA retracted from their decision and included a clause in the rulebook stating that cards beneath an Xyz monster happen to work exactly like Konami Japan said, who could've guessed? Still, Tour Guide and Sangan remained popular. With the eventual release of a really cool deck based on Dante's Inferno, The "Burning Abyss" cards which are all level 3 fiend types with their boss monster, "Dante, Traveler of the Burning Abyss" (And before you ask, yes, there is a Vergil) being super easy to get through Tour Guide, the action on Tour Guide started.

I don't really remember which came first, but I do know Tour Guide was Limited to 1 per deck and Sangan got banned and eventually released with a heavy nerf on it's text.

Still, the card captured the hearts of players and specially fan artists and cosplayers.

A lot of fanart of Tour Guide and Sangan exist....Don't Google it.

The card has had new versions such as:

Designed to work with the Original card in a less broken manner than "Sangan" and get you a card recycle when the card gets detached (Notice that this card doesn't need to be "On the field" to get her effects, so if she's detached as a material, it does count)

And even a Link monster!

Which gives you bonuses if you summon it with 2 Dark Monsters, such as the ones you immediately get if you use "Tour Guide".

The card is now another testament of the growing pains that always come when a new mechanic is introduced into YGO, but the result was such a popular card that adding her as your guide in Duel Links just made too much sense.
maxresdefault.jpg

TRIVIA TIME

Sangan's entire ordeal of getting banned has been depicted in cards as a story of him getting the wrong Tour Bus

And ending up in a bus full of Ban list inmates that are going back to their prison

You can see "Graceful Charity" trying to console the poor scared little furball.

Gen 4, Round 2 is DONE.

Next Up!

Last edited: