• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Farrac

Nov 3, 2017
Alcalá de Henares, Spain
One of my favourite aspects of the game original cards is how they develop storylines exclusively through card artwork and description. Duel Terminal lore is something I've always wanted to see animated in some form. However, the entire meta storyline about cards entering and leaving the banlist in particular is just way too good and it cracks me up every time.

Bakrider

Oct 31, 2017
I should have bought page after page of Tour Guides before the Xyz mechanic hit. Sadly I couldn't even afford a set at the time.
Such a meta defining card!

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
Yet you have people on the other thread saying the shows are better because these kind of dubs give the source material the "respect it deserves"

For every so bad it's amazing dub moment like the Arnold Schwarzenegger elephant, there's 100 moments like this one that are just plain awful or incomprehensible.

Also you're not supposed to know Kaito is dying in the dub. YGO dubs infamously remove any kind of stakes and death.

He'll be okay, the ambulance will reach the moon in no time.

The reactions and expressions of the characters completely contradicted the dialogue from the dub.

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Superheavy Samurai Warlord Susanowo
Generation 5: ARC-V
Users: "The Man, Gongenzaka"
Artwork:

Among Yuya Sakaki's male friends, the man, Noboru Gongenzaka is probably the most popular. Gongenzaka is a man who is all about honor, and being a MAN. And he's such a MAN that he refuses to use any single Spell or Trap in his deck because a MANLY duel is one where only monsters demonstrate their MANLY strength.

Gongenzaka might sound like some asshole filled with toxic masculinity, but he's surprisingly a kind hearted, loyal friend who's all about honoring his friends and family. Unlike Joey Wheeler though, Gongenzaka is able to make a monsters only 40 card deck work. His cards are called "Superheavy Samurai" and are monsters that benefit from you not having any spells or traps in your graveyard, also they're a DEF focused deck, that always plays their monsters in DEF position, in fact, Superheavy Samurais are some of the very few monsters with an effect allowing them to attack while in defense position.

Gongenzaka eventually fights for his school's honor during the very first arc of Arc-V right before we got into the Marvel Multiverse shit, he fought against Yaiba an elite LDS student with the ability to Synchro Summon and with access to my Duel Links favorite "X-Sabers", Gongenzaka managed to end the duel in a draw but he felt so overwhelmed by Yaiba's deck that he felt a draw was not the outcome he deserved. Swallowing his pride, Gongenzaka decides to ask Yaiba to teach him about Synchro Monsters (Remember, non-LDS students could never get such cards) Yaiba reluctantly agrees and the two start building a new deck for him.

When Gongenzaka has to face Yuya himself for the Maiami Championship Qualifier, he decides to pull no punches and fight Yuya like a MAN would do, by Synchro Summoning his new ace card. A level 10, EARTH, Machine-Type Synchro Monster. Susanowo!

I'm not a fan of Superheavy Samurai designs, they all look kinda lifeless and samey to me, but I can't say I don't like the pose of this big guy pointing at me with his sword like challenging me to an ACTUAL duel. Background is filled with color and a nice "Slash!" effect. Not terrible but not too great.

Susanowo is summoned and immediately sits down on a MASSIVE 3800 DEF, with the ability to attack with those points! That may sound gimmicky but I think it's cool, the more defense the better, as defense position has been getting more and more irrelevant as time goes on (Even more now that Links don't even have DEF). It's effect to steal set cards and put them in your field is far too gimmicky though. If it's not a staple card, you'll probably end up getting a deck specific card that you can't use. I feel like Super Heavy's have better synchro options such as:

Which can clear an entire backrow upon summon, but they're not too great either. It's a fun gimmicky deck that will definitely be fun to play.

When Gongenzaka became a Lancer, Reiji Akaba gave him new LDS produced Pendulum Monsters for his deck, and as they never reach the graveyard and are not "Real" Spells, Gongenzaka agrees to use them to a great effect.
latest

While not super popular, Superheavy Samurais are well known enough to get their own Link Monsters

Overall, the definition of the best offense being a good defense. That kid from Beyblade would be proud.

Next Up!
51cm9yERxFL._SX425_.jpg

Last edited:

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Susanowo....

I feel like I know why they did that and I dont know how I feel about that.

GustyGardner

Oct 27, 2017
In retrospect, Super Heavies really helped cement my love for the newer mechanics when I got back into the game. Attacking from defence position may be gimmicky but it was cool as all shit and really showed me how creative some archetypes could be even 15 years on from the game's inception. I ran a whole bunch of decks stitched together from the fuck ton of ARC V era packs I wasted money on (not really but fuck me I spent A LOT on cards during that era...) and Super Heaves were one of them and definitely one of my favourites.

winstein

Oct 28, 2017
Malaysia
Superheavy Samurai represents something I like about Arc-V: where almost every character has a clear theme that matches their personality well. It helps that this archetype is easy to grasp the things that are unique to it, namely the Monster-only focus and being about to attack from defence (which is good because they have high DEF). I kind of wish that some of the other characters have archetypes that made it as a playable archetype, such as the one with the cook pals. At least Battlewasps became playable. Speaking of that, will you be covering Battlewasps?

It would really be cool to see Don Zaloog being covered some time later, since his episode is one of the best of Season 1 GX. Moreover his effect is pretty good since discarding is not bad in many cases.

Thank you for reading.

Wiseblade

Oct 26, 2017
It would really be cool to see Don Zaloog being covered some time later, since his episode is one of the best of Season 1 GX. Moreover his effect is pretty good since discarding is not bad in many cases.
WHO LIED TO YOU

Don Zaloog has aged horribly because modern decks treat the grave as a resource now. Any currently relevant deck has cards that either activate in the graveyard or that manipulate cards in the graveyard. More often than not, Don is just going to be doing your opponent's job for them.

On the other hand, Kycoo the Ghost Destroyer from the same year has only gone from strength to strength. Originally designed to allow down old school zombies, Kycoo now shuts down for tons for modern cards that banish themselves or other cards as a cost for their effects.

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
In Arc-V like half of the world population gets turned into cards and the show pretends they are all in mint condition and get restored in the end.

Yeah, we're suppose to believe that the everyone imprisoned in those cards have been restored? Seriously, if the Professor and Duel Academia were trying to protect the worlds from Zarc, why were they trapping people in cards?

Nirvana High Paladin
OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Nirvana High Paladin
User: Yuya Sakaki
Artwork:

During their stay in the Synchro Dimension, Yuya and friend's are arrested as outsiders as their alien summoning methods caught the wrong people's attention, they are forced by the city's government to partake in a tournament, where their summoning methods would certainly entertain the city's 1%. This tournament is later revealed a way for the poor "Commons" to try and reach an elite status, while losers are moved further down the ladder into what's basically slave work.

Yuya is given the order to star in the exhibition match against the Synchro Dimensions champion, none other than....Jack Atlas!, or at least a new version of him. And while Yuya opens the match with an incredible display of summons never seen before by the inhabitants of that dimension, The King, Jack Atlas remains unfazed and quickly disposes of Yuya's Pendulum, Fusion and Xyz monsters. In what's possibly my favorite main character loss in the show.

Jack calls out Yuya on his "Entertainment" bullshit, he's not dueling with his own style, he's just copying his father's way of dueling as a show. and no one likes a ripoff. (God, Arc-V Jack is such a dick, I love him.) Jack wants Yuya to truly fight him next time. These words take Yuya down quite a bit, and he decides to start working on his deck.

After getting a Tuner monster, "Tuning Magician" from one of the Slaves-but-not-really kids guarding him while in confinement, Yuya starts experimenting with synchro summoning to try and find new ways to duel, Yuya gets a new synchro, one of the coolest designs in this game for me, an upgraded synchro form of "Stargazer Magician", Enlightenment Paladin!

However Yuya feels that's still not his own way of dueling, and during his final confrontation with Jack he finally figures out what he wants his style to be, as the first person to ever use Pendulum Summon, Pendulums are his duel identity, so he uses his Performapal Cheermole to further synchronize Enlightenment Paladin...despite none of the two being a Tuner! The result is a level 10, DARK, Spellcaster-Type Synchro/Pendulum Monster known as Nirvana High Paladin!

Aaaaaand it's such a downgrade from Enlightenment Paladin artwise that I don't know where to begin...It's armor is ugly looks bulky, uncomfortable and you don't really get how iteven moves with all that shit thrown in, the colors of the adornments don't mesh well and the background is boring and is not ever near as cool as Enlightenment´s Synchro Rings forming a clock, it's just a Photoshop effect with little effort to it, and also, his expression of boredom a la Dark Magician doesn't suit that bulky design.

Effect wise....LOOK AT THAT WALL OF TEXT. Anyways, Nirvana must be synchro summoned normally and once it hits the field it will start working like a pendulum monster, however, Nirvana lets you treat a pendulum summoned Pendulum monster as a Tuner for it's synchro summon, making it much easier to summon him. If you summon it this way, Nirvana will recover a card in your graveyard and add it to your hand. Whenever Nirvana destroys an opponent's monster, your opponent's LP get halved! damn that's powerful! Also if Nirvana ever gets destroyed as monster, instead of going to the extra deck, it will be placed in an empty Pendulum Zone (if any) where it's spell effect kicks in.

As a Spell, Nirvana High Paladin grants your monsters the power of not being destroyed by any battle and you won't take damage from that battle, after the battle ends, all your opponent's monsters will lose ATK equal to the ATK of the attacking monster, which is an interesting way to use weaker monster to weaken your opponent's high ATK monsters.

Before Link Monsters i used to play this card a lot with the trap "Pendulum Switch", now that Link rules are in place, there's better options to play even if High Paladin remains quite summonable under the new rules.

Far from a bad card and not unsummonable like many Pendulum Hybrid monsters but there's better ways to use your resources.

TRIVIA TIME!

This is the cover card for the expansion "The Lost Illusion" known for giving Dark Magician a big boost

Next Up!
MV5BODMzMjlmZTYtOGU2NS00NGM2LWI4ZDItNzQzYTYwNDA2ZmU4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXRzdGFzaWVr._V1_CR21,0,939,528_AL_UY268_CR10,0,477,268_AL_.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
This is such a great thread! While i'm most a watcher, i have to say that OP is doing a wonderful job to bring joy on the reviews. Also didn't know there was so many people interested in Yu-Gi-Oh here on Era.

Mario Bilo

trying to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Jan 7, 2018
I loved that moment in the anime, Yuya pulling out an awesome new monster against Jack that wasn't Odd Eyes related. Pity he never really ended up using it too much after that.

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
Still definitely enjoying this thread, keep up the good work! Interesting read, as I actually haven't watched the anime series past the first shows. Definitely making me want to check those out sometime.

Having read the manga series though (less of a time commitment), was going to ask if you were going to cover Genesis Omega Dragon as that card gets a pretty crazy amount of focus in the manga, and has pretty ridiculous lore for a trading card... but apparently it hasn't been made into an actual real life card, far as I can see from googling? Kind of crazy, seeing how pretty much the whole of the Arc V manga centers around that card, haha.

Cyber Angel Vrash
OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Cyber Angel Vrash
User: Alexis Rhodes
Artwork:

Alexis Rhodes is a character that unfortunately never gets to shine too much, I'd say that out of all the YuGirls, she's probably the least important of the dueling girls, and unfortunately "Better than Tea" is not exactly high praise, so when Alexis appeared as a cameo in Arc-V as a rebel soldier from against Duel Academy's regime in the Fusion Dimension, with a really cool redesign:
dbk6yv1-2bee824b-ac91-4e36-8272-b0a836c414a7.gif

I really, really expected lots of good things from her...Even more when it is revealed that Yuri became Incel trash due to his jealousy towards her and her popularity...But nope, I got her GX self in a nutshell, beating some random mooks and then immediately losing to plot relevant threats. This was the start Arc-V's descent in quality coming from the absolutely fantastic seasons 1 and 2. And unlike 5D's, the drop hurt a lot more in Arc-V as it was all one story, as opposed to 5D's amazing seasons 1 and 2 being pretty self contained.

While dueling a random mook to save a soon to be damseled Yuzu, Alexis uses her "Cyber Angel" cards that didn't get much shine in the GX anime, her main card being an all new Cyber Angel, A Level 10, LIGHT, Fairy-Type Ritual Monster, Cyber Angel Vishnu!

And that's about it...She immediately loses to Yuri using a gimped deck shortly after. I decided to review this card as many of you have asked me for more rituals, and more rituals will come!

The art on Vrash is weird, she's supposed to represent Vishnu one of the main godly figures of Hinduism, but there's so little Vishnu in the design that I would've never guessed she's supposed to be her. Like many of the Cyber Angels, I feel like this card's arti is just the anime artwork plastered into the card with little effort, and a FAR cry from the newer Cyber Angel cards released on the "Sister of the Rose" expansion, like the actually good looking, and actually Vishnu evocative Izania, or even the also Arc-V featured "Natasha":

Izana shows a lot more personality and is much better drawn than any other anime cyber angel, when you compare Izana to other Cyber Angels like Vrash or "Benten", the anime ones really look like a poor copy paste of their anime design into the card with none of the effort cards like "The Claw of Hermos" got to make them look better as TCG cards. Vrash specially looks pretty generic despite the rich lore of the card and the crazy design. Oh and that hat looks so weird, I'm ignorant on Hinduism, so I don't know if it's a reference to something from the real Vishnu, but at first I thought she had a mosquito's ass in her head. The gear above her head clashes with her hat and makes the rest of the design feel uneven. I feel like Cyber Angels should've looked like Izana from day 1.

If you've played Duel Links, you know your Cyber Angels, as they dominated the Duel Links meta for quite some time. Cyber Angels are all powerful ritual monsters summoned through "Machine Angel Ritual". Vrash is supposed to be Alexis's strongest ritual, with a field nuking effect as soon as she enters the battle, destroying all monsters your opponent summoned from the Extra Deck, then she inflicts 1000 LP damage to the opponent, and then she gets to attack twice....and that's not all! Vrash can negate the destruction of cards by shuffling a ritual monster back into the deck. That's actually really good, and makes worth the investment of ritual summoning this card. Because as you might know, Ritual Summon has always been considered as the jankiest summoning method, as it requires you to have not only the ritual monster and specific spell in your hand, but also the necessary materials for the ritual summon. Like many modern ritual decks, Cyber Angels use a single ritual spell for all their monsters, and expect you to use rituals as materials for rituals.

Outside Duel Links, Cyber Angels don't shine too much, as they can brick or be overpowered easily by more consistent decks. However they have received quite a bit of support in the Sisters of the Rose expansion besides Izana

So they are a more consistent ritual deck that might not win you any tournaments, but is a fun option to consider for all of you Ritual Fans out there.

TRIVIA TIME!

In the OCG, Vrash is straight-up called "Cyber Angel Vishnu", this was changed for obvious reasons.

Also, Cyber Angels like Izana are allowed to show a lot of skin and boobage as opposed to other cards in the franchise,no idea why.

NEXT UP!

Another card to help my man Voror build his deck, here's your hint!
giphy.gif

Last edited:

Farrac

Nov 3, 2017
Alcalá de Henares, Spain
You know, I didn't expect Asuka to do much in Arc-V but she literally did NOTHING. She didn't get to beat anyone other than some random mooks. She could have defeated Dennis but nope, Kaito needed another duel apparently. It's also a shame because she is the sole user of Ritual monsters (aside from Mieru who also got shafted).

brooklynb_jp

Jan 8, 2019
I actually read this thread from beginning to end. That's how interesting and engaging it was. I appreciate this thread as a way to see which archetype I might like to try out when I'm finally done with the Legacy of the Duelist campaign, though it sounds like a good amount are missing their support in that game.

Oh, and yeah, Vrains is the only series of Yugioh I've had a hard time getting through. Just finished the first arc...

I found season zero more entertaining, and they only duel like twice.

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
You know, I didn't expect Asuka to do much in Arc-V but she literally did NOTHING. She didn't get to beat anyone other than some random mooks. She could have defeated Dennis but nope, Kaito needed another duel apparently. It's also a shame because she is the sole user of Ritual monsters (aside from Mieru who also got shafted).

After her duel with Yuri, we never see her again. So, Yuri basically killed Alexis. He doesn't even apologize or regret his actions.

Voror

Oct 25, 2017
I think I actually know what this next one is!

Also, went past Dark Signors in 5Ds and it's definitely weird. Most of all this super advanced highway that has built in riding duel lanes that seem to disrupt traffic built in just six months.

I'm even more curious as to what the this was supposed to be before everything got changed.

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
Sort of? He's the Academia guy who accompanied Serena when they went to Standard. Later, he retrieved her from the Synchro Dimension and disappeared from the show. He doesn't even appear in the last opening where pretty much every other character in the show appears.

The dude with the Beastborg fusion deck. 😂

brooklynb_jp

Jan 8, 2019
People are so creative. I got a Galaxy-Eyes Dark Matter Dragon in LotD, and I couldn't fathom why a card with a fairly tame effect would be banned...

That FTK you can do sure is something.

Galaxy-Eyes Cipher Dragon
OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I think I actually know what this next one is!

You probably guessed it!

User: Kaito Tenjo
Artwork:

When Yuya reaches the ravaged Xyz Dimension, he finds a city brought to it's knees by the ruthless Arc-V version of Aster Phoenix, who commands the Obelisk Force to turn all it's inhabitants into cards, and besides the normal mooks of the obekisk force, the powerful high ranking Tyler Sisters, Gloria and Grace, are also under Aster's command. Standing in front of these powerful forces, remains a single man. While Shun and Yuto where transported to the Standard Dimension, Arc-V's take on Kaito Tenjo, was left to fight alone against the forces of Duel Academy.

And much to my eternal rage, while all the cameo characters got hilarious boosts to their original decks with brand new cards...for some goddamn reason, they decided to completely change Kaito's deck from his classic "Photon/Galaxy" (They even took away his Galaxy-Eyes Photon Dragon!) to some garbage called "Ciphers"...Look at these majestic and memorable creatures.

Yeah, Ciphers completely suck compared to Galaxy or Photon cards from both a design and a gameplay perspective. While Galaxy+Photon focus on an agressive strategy with high ATK monsters, Ciphers focus on....getting cards with the same name on the field?. Kaito's ace for Arc-V was replaced by a Rank 8, LIGHT, Dragon Type Xyz Monster, "Galaxy-Eyes Cipher Dragon" which happens to be the single good "Cipher" card among a sea of absolute garbage.

There's a thing with Cipher Dragon's card foil that makes the artwork hard to make out, so here. Cipher Dragon is just Galaxy-Eyes Photon Dragon with a different armor and a really really cool looking new set of wings, I actually dig these butterfly looking wings and think the rainbow coloring looks nice. My problem with this card's pose is that even without the foiling making it harder, it's too hard to make out it's face, the wide open jaw doesn't have enough shadows for the colors on it to not mesh with the ones in it's body. I also feel like the edgier, spikier armor on Cipher Dragon is just trying to hard when Photon Dragon already had quite a bit of armor. I would've simply changed the wings and call it day. Far from my least favorite Galaxy-Eyes Dragon but not exactly the best one. The wings are freaking cool though.
6d7bd106f60fdc86581ebca9b254dc3cb18f9086_00.gif

When I say that Cipher Dragon is the one good Cipher card, it's mostly because having "Galaxy-Eyes" in it's name gives it the ability to use "Galaxy" and "Galaxy-Eyes" support cards. And also it's effect is actually real good against many decks, by simply using 2 level 8 monsters you'll get a card with the exact same stats as "Galaxy-Eyes Photon Dragon" but with the ability to steal a monster from your opponent and change it's name to "Galaxy-Eyes Cipher Dragon" and it's ATK into 3000. If you do that, only Cipher Dragon will be able to attack directly this turn, which is fair. Turning an opponent's nasty monster into an extra beater for your team can never go wrong, specially if you use that monster for aTribute/ Link Summon later, making sure your opponent doesn't get it back.

Like it's Photon counterpart there's a "Neo" version of Cipher Dragon, "Neo Galaxy-Eyes Cipher Dragon"

And hey they addresed my criticism of Neo Photon having faces on it's fucking wings....by placing the faces on it's fucking shoulders. And while I actually love this card's artwork despite that....It's trash. It's a Rank 9 that requires 3 level 9 monsters, which means the only real way too summon it is through a Rank-Up, and the only "Rank-Up-Magic" that can bring out this beast "Cipher Ascension" works only with "Cipher" Xyz monsters...and there's only 1 other Cipher Xyz monster to rank up! Why not allow any Rank 8 Galaxy-Eyes?...The Spell to summon it is not searchable and will work with only 1 of your Xyz monsters. LMAO. It can take control of a lot of your opponent's monsters and has 4500 ATK, and it's still not worth it.

Thankfully the TCG realized how shit Neo was, because they released an exclusive upgrade for Cipher, that can be summoned by placing it on top of any Rank 8 "Galaxy-Eyes" Xyz monster, just like I suggested!
1167279.jpg

Cipher Blade Dragon just goes 200 ATK above it's base form, and it probably will be a huge downgrade in ATK if you summon it with any other "Galaxy-Eyes" Xyz, but it's ability to destroy any card becomes really useful if you combine with the also card destroying "Galaxy-Eyes Full Armor Photon Dragon". Since it's second effect let's you revive it's base form when Blade gets destroyed, you can summon Cipher Dragon, Steal a monster, put Full armor on top of Cipher. destroy a card, put Cipher Blade on top of Full Armor, destroy a second card and leave a 3200 ATK beater that will revive OG Cipher Dragon if it gets destroyed. Neat trick that can get you out of sticky situations.

Cipher have received ZERO support, as any decent support was given to the actually good Galaxy/Photon cards instead in the expansion "Legendary Duelists: White Dragon Abyss"

TRIVIA TIME!

The really old card "Kinetic Soldier" was actually called "Cipher Soldier" in the OCG, and since this card SHOULD work with Cipher monsters, many of them where originally printed with text saying they would work with "Cipher Monsters or Kinetic Soldier", at some point, they decided to just reprint the card with it's japanese name and be done with it

Next Up!!
s-l300.jpg

Last edited:

brooklynb_jp

Jan 8, 2019
You probably guessed it!

User: Kaito Tenjo
Artwork:

When Yuya reaches the ravaged Xyz Dimension, he finds a city brought to it's knees by the ruthless Arc-V version of Aster Phoenix, who commands the Obelisk Force to turn all it's inhabitants into cards, and besides the normal mooks of the obekisk force, the powerful high ranking Tyler Sisters, Gloria and Grace, are also under Aster's command. Standing in front of this powerful forces, remains a single man. While Shun and Yuto where transported to the Standard Dimension, Arc-V's take on Kaito Tenjo, was left to fight alone against the forces of Duel Academy.

And much to my eternal rage, while all the cameo characters got hilarious boosts to their original decks with brand new cards...for some goddamn reason, they decided to completely change Kaito's deck from his classic "Photon/Galaxy" (They even took away his Galaxy-Eyes Photon Dragon!) to some garbage called "Ciphers"...Look at these majestic and memorable creatures.

Yeah, Ciphers completely suck compared to Galaxy or Photon cards from both a design and a gameplay perspective. While Galaxy+Photon focus on an agressive strategy with high ATK monsters, Ciphers focus on....getting cards with the same name on the field?. Kaito's ace for Arc-V was replaced by a Rank 8, LIGHT, Dragon Type Xyz Monster, "Galaxy-Eyes Cipher Dragon" which happens to be the single good "Cipher" card among a sea of absolute garbage.

There's a thing with Cipher Dragon's card foil that makes the artwork hard to make out, so here. Cipher Dragon is just Galaxy-Eyes Photon Dragon with a different armor and a really really cool looking new set of wings, I actually dig these butterfly looking wings and think the rainbow coloring looks nice. My problem with this card's pose is that even without the foiling making it harder, it's too hard to make out it's face, the wide open jaw doesn't have enough shadows for the colors on it to not mesh with the ones in it's body. I also feel like the edgier, spikier armor on Cipher Dragon is just trying to hard when Photon Dragon already had quite a bit of armor. I would've simply changed the wings and call it day. Far from my least favorite Galaxy-Eyes Dragon but not exactly the best one. The wings are freaking cool though.
6d7bd106f60fdc86581ebca9b254dc3cb18f9086_00.gif

When I say that Cipher Dragon is the one good Cipher card, it's mostly because having "Galaxy-Eyes" in it's name gives it the ability to use "Galaxy" and "Galaxy-Eyes" support cards. And also it's effect is actually real good against many decks, by simply using 2 level 8 monsters you'll get a card with the exact same stats as "Galaxy-Eyes Photon Dragon" but with the ability to steal a monster from your opponent and change it's name to "Galaxy-Eyes Cipher Dragon" and it's ATK into 3000. If you do that, only Cipher Dragon will be able to attack directly this turn, which is fair. Turning an opponent's nasty monster into an extra beater for your team can never go wrong, specially if you use that monster for aTribute/ Link Summon later, making sure your opponent doesn't get it back.

Like it's Photon counterpart there's a "Neo" version of Cipher Dragon, "Neo Galaxy-Eyes Cipher Dragon"

And hey they addresed my criticism of Neo Photon having faces on it's fucking wings....by placing the faces on it's fucking shoulders. And while I actually love this card's artwork despite that....It's trash. It's a Rank 9 that requires 3 level 9 monsters, which means the only real way too summon it is through a Rank-Up, and the only "Rank-Up-Magic" that can bring out this beast "Cipher Ascension" works only with "Cipher" Xyz monsters...and there's only 1 other Cipher Xyz monster to rank up! Why not allow any Rank 8 Galaxy-Eyes?...The Spell to summon it is not searchable and will work with only 1 of your Xyz monsters. LMAO. It can take control of a lot of your opponent's monsters and has 4500 ATK, and it's still not worth it.

Thankfully the TCG realized how shit Neo was, because they released an exclusive upgrade for Cipher, that can be summoned by placing it on top of any Rank 8 "Galaxy-Eyes" Xyz monster, just like I suggested!
1167279.jpg

Cipher Blade Dragon just goes 200 ATK above it's base form, and it probably might be a huge downgrade in ATK if you summon it with any other "Galaxy-Eyes" Xyz, but it's ability to destroy any card becomes really useful if you combine with the also card destroying "Galaxy-Eyes Full Armor Photon Dragon". Since it's second effect let's you revive it's base form when Blade gets destroyed, you can summon Cipher Dragon, Steal a monster, put Full armor on top of Cipher. destroy a card, put Cipher Blade on top of Full Armor, destroy a second card and leave a 3200 ATK beater that will revive OG Cipher Dragon if it gets destroyed. Neat trick that can get you out of sticky situations.

Cipher have received ZERO support, as any decent support was given to the actually good Galaxy/Photon cards instead in the expansion "Legendary Duelists: White Dragon Abyss"

TRIVIA TIME!

The really old card "Kinetic Soldier" was actually called "Cipher Soldier" in the OCG, and since this card SHOULD work with Cipher monsters, many of them where originally printed with text saying they would work with "Cipher Monsters or Kinetic Soldier", at some point, they decided to just reprint the card with it's japanese name and be done with it

Next Up!!
s-l300.jpg
That's too bad about Cipher cards. The Kaito pack has so many in LotD.

Here's a question. After they changed the rules so that you don't draw on the first turn, is it definitively better to go either first or second, or does it depend on the deck archetype?

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That's too bad about Cipher cards. The Kaito pack has so many in LotD.

Here's a question. After they changed the rules so that you don't draw on the first turn, is it definitively better to go either first or second, or does it depend on the deck archetype?
It depends a bit on your specific archetype, but going first is still generally advantageous for most decks because being able to build a board with minimal interruptions is really fucking valuable

brooklynb_jp

Jan 8, 2019
It depends a bit on your specific archetype, but going first is still generally advantageous for most decks because being able to build a board with minimal interruptions is really fucking valuable
That makes sense. The opponent would have to have a very specific hand trap to actually do anything. It's pretty crazy that first turn can still be so good after losing the ability to draw.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That makes sense. The opponent would have to have a very specific hand trap to actually do anything. It's pretty crazy that first turn can still be so good after losing the ability to draw.
I mean there are so many cards that can generate advantage that losing a single draw isn't usually that big a deal. It still hurts and prevents going first from basically being an instant win, but good decks can get around it

Wiseblade

Oct 26, 2017
It largely depends on what go you're playing, but going first always has the advantage of being less likely to be interrupted by your opponent.

Reasons to go first :

- Your deck is consistent enough that you don't need the sixth card to make a strong first play
- you're playing a control/lockdown style deck that restricts your opponent's plays
- Your deck struggles with being interrupted and wants a turn to freely set up

Reasons to go second :

- your deck revolves around the battle phase
- your deck focuses on clearing the opponent's field
- your deck can power through disruption and make plays regardless
- your deck relies on multiple combos that require multiple cards in your hand and you'll take every draw that you can get

An example of a deck happy to go second is Cyber Dragons, while an example of a deck that prefers going first is Virtually Anything Else.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It largely depends on what go you're playing, but going first always has the advantage of being less likely to be interrupted by your opponent.

Reasons to go first :

- Your deck is consistent enough that you don't need the sixth card to make a strong first play
- you're playing a control/lockdown style deck that restricts your opponent's plays
- Your deck struggles with being interrupted and wants a turn to freely set up

Reasons to go second :

- your deck revolves around the battle phase
- your deck focuses on clearing the opponent's field
- your deck can power through disruption and make plays regardless
- your deck relies on multiple combos that require multiple cards in your hand and you'll take every draw that you can get

An example of a deck happy to go second is Cyber Dragons, while an example of a deck that prefers going first is Virtually Anything Else.
Also one more thing worth noting is that if you know what your opponent is playing there might be some scenarios where the matchup changes your preference, though even these are rare tbh

brooklynb_jp

Jan 8, 2019
I just always choose to go first out of habit. I'm glad it's still the right answer. I just started to wonder why I've heard or read, more than once, people saying that going second is better. They must have been talking about a very specific situation.

I'd be interested in hearing thoughts on something from the Evilswarm and Inzektor archetypes. The link monsters for those seemed decent.

Or better yet, OP, what if you reviewed some of the strongest link monsters available at the moment? I feel like that could get people interested in getting back into Yugioh.

Last edited:

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Y'all ready for Yugi to be revealed as the next Smash DLC.

"But only game characters allowed!", motherfucker he's the King of Games.

Wiseblade

Oct 26, 2017
I just always choose to go first out of habit. I'm glad it's still the right answer. I just started to wonder why I've heard or read, more than once, people saying that going second is better. They must have been talking about a very specific situation.

I'd be interested in hearing thoughts on something from the Evilswarm and Inzektor archetypes. The link monsters for those seemed decent.

Or better yet, OP, what if you reviewed some of the strongest link monsters available at the moment? I feel like that could get people interested in getting back into Yugioh.
That's more outside the scope of this thread and pretty subjective. The Legacy of the Duelist thread and Yu-Gi-Oh TCG thread are better places for that.

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
That's more outside the scope of this thread and pretty subjective. The Legacy of the Duelist thread and Yu-Gi-Oh TCG thread are better places for that.

Agreed.

First of all I'm not an active competitive player, I just follow the meta. Also I created the thread to show fun popular cards so that returning players/newcomers learn about the new stuff,get ideas for LOTD / Duel Links or simply have a laugh at some of the crazy stuff the game has introduced. Maybe even find themselves a new favorite card or give a series a watch

If I start talking about Links such as "Saryuja Skulldread" and all the super complex combos you can pull with it, some of that accessibility for newcomers might be lost.

That's why I was hesitant to even do "Tour Guide from the Underworld" as I wasn't sure if I could get accross why the card was so good in a simple way that everyone could understand with just the info on the new stuff I've given through the thread.

I hope I did.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8583

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
One question about the anime, are the episodes of 5Ds that are not dubbed worth tracking?

I am recovering from surgery, so I started watching all the Yu-Gi-Oh anime on their YT channel.

Another more random question, is there any OCG (or upcoming) that is going to be big? (or has the potential to?).

Want to find a new one to collect that is not digital only and has good fantasy representation.

TheCed

Oct 27, 2017
It's time for the King's True Ace to Shine !!!
I would appreciate it if you have a moment to give a small opinion on Hot Red Dragon ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
One question about the anime, are the episodes of 5Ds that are not dubbed worth tracking?

I am recovering from surgery, so I started watching all the Yu-Gi-Oh anime on their YT channel.

Another more random question, is there any OCG (or upcoming) that is going to be big? (or has the potential to?).

Want to find a new one to collect that is not digital only and has good fantasy representation.

Yes. They're pretty cool.

Bakrider

Oct 31, 2017
Agreed.

First of all I'm not an active competitive player, I just follow the meta. Also I created the thread to show fun popular cards so that returning players/newcomers learn about the new stuff,get ideas for LOTD / Duel Links or simply have a laugh at some of the crazy stuff the game has introduced. Maybe even find themselves a new favorite card or give a series a watch

If I start talking about Links such as "Saryuja Skulldread" and all the super complex combos you can pull with it, some of that accessibility for newcomers might be lost.

That's why I was hesitant to even do "Tour Guide from the Underworld" as I wasn't sure if I could get accross why the card was so good in a simple way that everyone could understand with just the info on the new stuff I've given through the thread.

I hope I did.
I think you did a great job. Very easy to understand.

Having played through that era I can honestly say a lot of the people I knew at locals ignored Tour Guide until it was to late.

Still many of us did know. To think an at the time $90 play set would soon after go for $450 due to sheer meta impact is crazy.

Voror

Oct 25, 2017
Cipher is pretty cool though a shame the others are no good. I actually ordered them and some others yesterday, though focusing mainly on the Extra Deck right now.

I think aside from a Galaxy deck in LotD, I want to try out a Masked Heroes deck as I really dug the idea and cards from that one.