• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 8583

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I was expecting to see this card in your BLS review q:

latest

Really like that link monster artwork.

Edit: Is the next one this one?

tenor.gif

SGJin

Feb 23, 2018
Additional Trivia!
20120829204506e50.jpg

A Normal Monster variant of Black Luster Soldier was the first prize card for the first international ygo tournament in 1999. It is a one of a kind card and was printed on a steel plate and was put on auction for 10 million USD (althought I dont think it sold).

Also next one should be this?

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Additional Trivia!
20120829204506e50.jpg

A Normal Monster variant of Black Luster Soldier was the first prize card for the first international ygo tournament in 1999. It is a one of a kind card and was printed on a steel plate and was put on auction for 10 million USD (althought I dont think it sold).

Also nest one should be this?

Oh my god how could I forget about this one!

Your trivia is much better than mine. You deserve to be in the post

I was expecting to see this card in your BLS review q:

latest

Really like that link monster artwork.

Edit: Is the next one this one?

tenor.gif

I thought about including Dragon Master Knight, but I feel it deserves it's own solo review, as it's so detached from both BLS and Blue-Eyes strategies

That said, that review will probably be done after the break I plan to take after this round is done.

And to answer your question, Magnet Warrior are GREAT, but nowhere near as popular as the next card...cards?

Last edited:

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still taking suggestions? I thought of a great one.

latest

Aside from the card itself, some of the Duel Terminal lore concerning it is pretty interesting.

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Still taking suggestions? I thought of a great one.

latest

Not just the card itself, but some of the Duel Terminal lore concerning it is pretty interesting.

This will most likely be the second TCG only card covered. I had already considered it when planning Round 3. But TBH with you I never put too much attention to DT lore, too much "Everyone dies and Universe resets" for my taste, so I'll have to do lots of homework.

I'm not sure If I'll do that one in this round of reviews or after I give the thread a break, but it will happen.

Still, so far there's only a certain little chestnut that is set in stone for all gens in this round

Last edited:

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Great new entrys! Are you planing a Kuribo overview anytime soon? I know, its again Gen 1, but I loved this card and Yugis strategy around it, even when it could never was replicated for the real game.

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Great new entrys! Are you planing a Kuribo overview anytime soon? I know, its again Gen 1, but I loved this card and Yugis strategy around it, even when it could never was replicated for the real game.
Might as well just say it

Kuriboh is happening. Every single one of them.

It's the one thing that I knew I wanted to do for this round. The last card of each Gen this round is the Kuriboh of each Gen

From Kuriboh to Linkuriboh. All of 'em.

NateDog

Jan 8, 2018
Black Luster Soldier is probably my favourite card of the ones I still have from many moons ago, really glad you covered it. I thought it'd be pretty useless in today's game but great to see the support.

Wiseblade

Oct 26, 2017
How are you going to mention all that without bringing up the Impcantations? A quartet of monsters focused on facilitating ritual summons by searching out ritual monsters and Ritual spells from the deck or grave and special summoning a second Impcantation monster to serve as tribute fodder. If the deck you're playing doesn't have dedicated tribute/searcher cards (and sometimes even if it does) then the Impcantations are a no brainer to give you reliably workable hands.

XYZ-Dragon Cannon
OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
XYZ- Dragon Cannon
Generations 1 & 2: Duel Monsters and GX
Users: Seto Kaiba, Chazz Princeton

Original Artwork:

132138.jpg

Alternate Artworks:
1093272.jpg

XYZ-Dragon Cannon (Ex-why-zee Dragon Canon) is not to be confused with an Xyz (ik-seez) Monster, but the simple fact that a single card can be mistaken for an entire game mechanic just shows how popular this card is among the lapsed fanbase of this game.

Seto Kaiba displayed a lot of new cards during his duels in his own sponsored tournaments "Battle City" and "The Grand Championship", but if there is one set of cards that struck with fans are his "Zord" lilke robots that combine into powerful forms. "X- Head Cannon", "Y-Dragon Head" and "Z-Metal Tank"

These cards are some of the first monsters with the "Union" ability, which is the power to switch back and forth between being treated as monster on the field or as an equip spell equipped to an specific monster, this ability allowed you to summon one of them, equip it with another card of the set and on your next turn summon the equip as a monster, and while this strategy is useful, the real power of this cards is their ability to fuse without the need for "Polymerization", that's right, Jaden Yuki didn't invent SHIT. Contact Fusions are all Seto Freaking Kaiba, accept no substites.

This allowed any 2 these cards to combine into a fusion just by banishing the materials on the field, creating powerful combinations of the letters X, Y and Z

But it's only when X, Y and Z are together that Kaiba's most powerful fusion of the set can be summoned, the Level 8, LIGHT, Machine-Type Fusion Monster, XYZ-Dragon Cannon!

I don't know about you guys, but I love me some combining robots. And these cards are extremely well designed in a way that they all look incredible unique, but also they do give the idea that they were designed to fit with each other, all the combinations make sense and it's ultimate form XYZ does look like the logical combination of all three. While I do appreciate the alternate artworks, I feel like they're just the machine seeing from different angles and contrary to my previous statements, I feel like the best artwork of them all is the one where the creature is not attacking at all, because it has so much more detail. It let's me see where each of the parts fit together and it makes it easier to spot the small differences the card shows from it's individual pieces, so that's why I must say that the simplest one is my favorite artwork, but I feel like you really can't go wrong with any of them. They're well designed cards, and my only complaint would be the boring backgrounds on all of them.

In terms of playability, these cards are certainly easier to pull off. But their effects are just not that great, mostly because all of the fusions require a lot of work to put into the field and then they ask you to discard cards in your hand to take 1 card from your opponent. After spending lots of resources into getting this card into the play, all the fusions, even XYZ ask you to keep using precious resources for a simple destruction effect....That's not too good.

Come the GX Era, Chazz Princeton also got a hold of copies of these cards, but he decided to add a couple more members to the family in his battles against Jaden Yuki, his new robots were "V-Tiger Yet" and "W-Wing Catapult" which together they form "VW - Tiger Catapult"

These cards are even worse than the original XYZ set, but are mostly remembered because they complete the "Megazord", by combining both "VW-Tiger Catapult" and "XYZ-Dragon Cannon" through a contact fusion, you get the humanoid fighting robot "VWXYZ- Dragon Catapult Cannon"

And after having to pull 3 contact fusions with 5 different monsters, you FINALLY get a monster that has no additional costs for it's effect of banishing a card your opponent controls or changing the positions of it's attack targets. Needless to say, pulling off this card, while possible was so much work that measly 3000 ATK and a single card banishing effect. Decks built around this card were usually slow and bricky and would take a real miracle for you to reach VWXYZ.

These cards were also blessed by Generation 5's "Give support to EVERYONE!" attitude, as the brand new "Structure Deck: Seto Kaiba" realized that if XYZ weren't cutting it, it was time to go back to A,B and C. Enter the best cards these theme could have ever gotten, the tournament level robots that have even been hit by the banlist due to their sheer power and versatility.

"A-Assault Core", "B- Buster Drake", "C-Crush Wyvern"

As you can read, these cards not only have the standard union effect of equipping themselves to monsters, but they all grant you a search (A and B) or a Special Summon (C) of a Union monster whenever they leave the field in any way, meaning that if they are destroyed, tributed, banished or even contact fusioned, they will add cards to your hand and field, making them the opposite of the OG cards, instead of taking away resources, they give them to you. The power of this cards becomes apparent when they combine into "ABC-Dragon Buster"

While Dragon Buster asks you to discard cards too, you have to remember that simply by summoning this card you had already added 2 cards to your hand and special summoned a monster making the price way easier to pay, and also, this card has the ability to be summoned by fusing cards in the graveyard, making it incredibly easy to summon and it also can "Defuse" and bring back it's materials, which can then be fused again to add 2 cards and get a special summon, then discard a card to destroy an opponent's monster. Rinse, rise repeat. This combo awarded "A-Assault Core" some time on the Banlist but it was released since then and the cards appear from time to time on the tournament level scale.

Before you ask, yes. You can combine good ol' XYZ-Dragon Cannon with these shiny new monsters, forming the ultimate "A-to-Z Dragon Buster Cannon"

And while it has an amazing 4000 ATK and the ability to negate opponent's spells and traps...Like Harpies, This is another case of the support being so good it completely replaces the original cards. There's no point in using XYZ-Dragon Cannon, as ABC-Dragon Buster is more than enough to carry you to a victory. You're more likely to brick your deck by using XYZ than ever managing to summon A-to-Z

While completely outclassed by their more modern counterparts, the spirit of the VWXYZ cards lives on with the ABC cards. But it pains me to say that they're not a viable option for a deck nowadays, not even for a casual match, maybe if you want to play with some friends with some shitty decks.

TRIVIA TIME!

A-to-Z Dragon Buster Cannon has the highest attack of any Contact Fusion card.

Next Up!

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
How are you going to mention all that without bringing up the Impcantations? A quartet of monsters focused on facilitating ritual summons by searching out ritual monsters and Ritual spells from the deck or grave and special summoning a second Impcantation monster to serve as tribute fodder. If the deck you're playing doesn't have dedicated tribute/searcher cards (and sometimes even if it does) then the Impcantations are a no brainer to give you reliably workable hands.

For this thread, I'm focusing on just direct support, to keep things as simple as possible!

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
I really enjoyed the deck building aspect of Yu-Gi-Oh but I never really liked playing the game, much like the Pokemon TCG. I'll always be all-in on MtG for as long as I live.

I do miss the wackiness of Yu-Gi-Oh though.

Voror

Oct 25, 2017
Would Thunder Dragon get any mention here? I don't know if anyone ever used a deck around him in any of the shows.

Wiseblade

Oct 26, 2017
For this thread, I'm focusing on just direct support, to keep things as simple as possible!
Sorry, I was referring to the post immediately above mine, rather than your post on BLS. the dedicated tribute cards in the deck are good enough that you'd want to use those over the Impcantations anyway.

Buster Blader
OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Buster Blader
Generation 1: Duel Monsters
Users: Yugi Muto

Original Artwork:

Latest Artwork:
latest

Sorry to be late with this one, I've been going through a lot this week, but as one of you guessed, the next card is Buster Blader!

Among the many cards Yugi added to his deck when preparing for "Battle City" there's a certain card that caught many fans eyes with it's cool design, and an effect that just screamed "Fuck You Kaiba", what's more this card saw his debut in Yugi's iconic duel against Slifer the Sky Dragon, making it easy for it to be remembered by fans for years to come. This card is the Level 7, EARTH, Warrior-Type Monster, Buster Blader! The Ultimate Dragon Hunter!

Buster Blader came to Yugi's aid on many occasions, the most memorable one being in his Duel against Seto Kaiba in the battle city semi finals, where his power combined with Dark Magician's to create "Dark Paladin" the card responsible for Yugi's victory

Unfortunately, this usually meant that Buster Blader became the equivalent to Dragon Ball's "Goten", whose treatment in the show after it's introduction is to become fusion fodder. But what about modern Yu-Gi-Oh? Can Buster Blader get out of Dark Magician's shadow? Let's take a look!

Artwise Buster Blader is striking, it's dark purple armor with gold accents is really well designed and really feels like something that belongs in the same world "Dark Magician" lives, though I´m not a fan of the horns, I feel like they're too comically long and make me think of the head of a Pokémon, I would tone those out because they're the bad part of an otherwise solid design. It's pose is very energetic and makes you feel like this heavy sword is coming straight at you, I appreciate the sword's design even if I feel it's a bit unremarkable. The background is just too simple for my tastes, by I guess it works well with the dark purple. Overall it's a solid design whose strengths far outweigh my problems with it.

I'm a big a fan of the Takahashi art, I feel like the detailed background, red accents instead of gold and smaller horns make the design much better, but I know I'm in the minority here

As a card though....it's not very good. It requires 2 tributes and while it's 2600 ATK are solid enough, it's effect requires that your opponent plays a specific type of card, and even in a game where Dragons are so popular like YuGiOh, that's never a good thing. Buster Blader's popularity did gave it access to some support cards, but it always felt like Konami was trying too hard to fit him with "Dark Magician" as fusion fodder with the kind of support he had back in the day.

Out of these, only "Emblem of the Dragon Destroyer" was a card that could help a "Buster Blader" focused deck over a "Buster Blader as fusion fodder for Dark Paladin" Deck which kinda sucked for it's fans....then Generation 5 happened.

Generation 5 as I keep bringing up in these Gen 1 reviews, gave a LOT of love to many cards, but it gave Buster Blader something he really needed to be something beyond "The Warrior that fuses with Dark Magician", they gave him his own identity and a story all for himself. He's a card with his own lore and that can stand on his own, no longer bound by Dark Magician's popularity.

And now sit back because I'm about to tell you the sad story of "Buster Blader" while also showing you it's cool modern support.

Buster Blader starts his new journey by upgrading to a brand new set of lighter, more comfortable and stronger armor. He becomes "Buster Blader, The Destruction Swordsmaster" and now he not only can fuck dragons up, but he has the power to destroy monsters of any type.

During his travels, Buster Blader encounters an evil Dragon bullying a small inoffensive baby Dragon, while Buster Blader's specialty is killing dragons, he decides to save the poor little fella for a change.

The little Dragon is so grateful to Buster Blader, that it doesn't want to part ways with him, Buster Blader turns to have a heart of gold, and decides to keep the little dragon as his pet. The little creature is now known as "Buster Whelp of the Destruction Swordsman"

Buster Blader and Whelp become extremely close together, they go on hunting missions and save many from evildoers, Dragon or Human, the years pass, and these two become such friends that Buster Blader even allows it to guard his collection of Swords, the "Destruction Swords"

Then tragedy strikes. During one of their adventures together, a Dark Force gets a hold of Buster Blader's now adult Dragon friend, transforming it into the wicked "Buster Dragon" (Some fans speculate that Buster Whelp's species always becomes evil as adults, as is the same kind of dragon shown in "Prologue")

Buster Blader rushes to see who is it that is attacking the innocents...and is shocked to see his longtime friend corrupted and standing in front of him. Buster Blader has no choice, and with pain in his heart he unsheathed his sword.

The battle is as cruel as the fate of these two friends, and in the end, Buster Blader manages to strike the killing blow, he throws his blade aside in the rain, as the memories of his good friend make grief overtake him

Buster Blader rushes to his mortally wounded friend, who's now back to it's normal form, with it's last breaths, the adult Buster Whelp transfers his dragonic power into Buster Blader, so that they can remain together forever in some way...

And with this new power, Buster Blader emerges as the strongest swordsman to walk the earth, the ultimate Dragonslayer with the power of a Dragon itself running through his veins, his armor becomes stronger, his sword gets an upgrade and he achieves his ultimate form, with the power of his long time friend with him in every new adventure he takes from now on.

If you actually read the cards that form the story, you will notice that deck revolves around equipping Buster Blader with the different swords to get it's destruction effect going against Dragons, Spellcasters and Machines. Buster Whelp will help you bring Buster Blader easily, and Synchroing into Buster Dragon will allow you to revive Buster Bladers every turn, with Buster Dragon on the field changing the type of all opponent's monster to Dragon, it's just a matter of fusion summoning Buster Blader's ultimate form for some massive, game ending damage against one of your opponent's monster.

While far from competitive, this deck is fun and it gave Buster Blader it's own identity. So I will always love it for that.

I think I already gave you enough trivia for this one lol.

NEXT UP!
sweet-chestnuts.jpg

Last edited:

SenseiX

Oct 25, 2017
Buster Blader

Original Artwork:

Latest Artwork:
latest

Sorry to be late with this one, I've been going through a lot this week, but as one of you guessed, the next card is Buster Blader!

Among the many cards Yugi added to his deck when preparing for "Battle City" there's a certain card that caught many fans eyes with it's cool design, and an effect that just screamed "Fuck You Kaiba", what's more this card saw his debut in Yugi's iconic duel against Slifer the Sky Dragon, making it easy for it to be remembered by fans for years to come. This card is the Level 7, EARTH, Warrior-Type Monster, Buster Blader! The Ultimate Dragon Hunter!

Buster Blader came to Yugi's aid on many occasions, the most memorable one being in his Duel against Seto Kaiba in the battle city semi finals, where his power combined with Dark Magician's to create "Dark Paladin" the card responsible for Yugi's victory

Unfortunately, this usually meant that Buster Blader became the equivalent to Dragon Ball's "Goten", whose treatment in the show after it's introduction is to become fusion fodder. But what about modern Yu-Gi-Oh? Can Buster Blader get out of Dark Magician's shadow? Let's take a look!

Artwise Buster Blader is striking, it's dark purple armor with gold accents is really well designed and really feels like something that belongs in the same world "Dark Magician" lives, though I´m not a fan of the horns, I feel like they're too comically long and make me think of the head of a Pokémon, I would tone those out because they're the bad part of an otherwise solid design. It's pose is very energetic and makes you feel like this heavy sword is coming straight at you, I appreciate the sword's design even if I feel it's a bit unremarkable. The background is just too simple for my tastes, by I guess it works well with the dark purple. Overall it's a solid design whose strengths far outweigh my problems with it.

I'm a big a fan of the Takahashi art, I feel like the detailed background, red accents instead of gold and smaller horns make the design much better, but I know I'm in the minority here

As a card though....it's not very good. It requires 2 tributes and while it's 2600 ATK are solid enough, it's effect requires that your opponent plays a specific type of card, and even in a game where Dragons are so popular like YuGiOh, that's never a good thing. Buster Blader's popularity did gave it access to some support cards, but it always felt like Konami was trying too hard to fit him with "Dark Magician" as fusion fodder with the kind of support he had back in the day.

Out of these, only "Emblem of the Dragon Destroyer" was a card that could help a "Buster Blader" focused deck over a "Buster Blader as fusion fodder for Dark Paladin" Deck which kinda sucked for it's fans....then Generation 5 happened.

Generation 5 as I keep bringing up in these Gen 1 reviews, gave a LOT of love to cards, but it gave Buster Blader something he really needed beyond being "The Warrior that fuses with Dark Magician", they gave him his own identity and a story all for himself. He's a card with his own lore and that can stand on his own, no longer bound by Dark Magician's popularity.

And now sit back because I'm about to tell you the sad story of "Buster Blader" while also showing you it's cool modern support.

Buster Blader starts his new journey by upgrading to a brand new set of lighter, more comfortable and stronger armor. He becomes "Buster Blader, The Destruction Swordsmaster" and now he not only can fuck dragons up, but he has the power to destroy monsters of any type.

During his travels, Buster Blader encounters an evil Dragon bullying a small inoffensive baby Dragon, while Buster Blader's specialty is killing dragons, he decides to save the poor little fella for a change.

The little Dragon is so grateful to Buster Blader, that it doesn't want to part ways with him, Buster Blader turns to have a heart of gold, and decides to keep the little dragon as his pet. The little creature is now known as "Buster Whelp of the Destruction Swordsman"

Buster Blader and Whelp become extremely close together, they go on hunting missions and save many from evildoers, Dragon or Human, the years pass, and these two become such friends that Buster Blader even allows it to guard his collection of Swords, the "Destruction Swords"

Then tragedy strikes. During one of their adventures together, a Dark Force gets a hold of Buster Blader's now adult Dragon friend, transforming it into the wicked "Buster Dragon" (Some fans speculate that Buster Whelp's species always becomes evil as adults, as is the same kind of dragon shown in "Prologue")

Buster Blader rushes to see who is it that is attacking the innocents...and is shocked to see his longtime friend corrupted and standing in front of him. Buster Blader has no choice, and with pain in his heart he unsheathed his sword.

The battle is as cruel as the fate of this two friends, and in the end, Buster Blader manages to strike the killing blow, he throws his blade aside in the rain, as the memories of his good friend make pain overtake him

Buster Blader rushes to his mortally wounded friend, who's now back to it's normal form, with it's last breaths, the adult Buster Whelp transfers his dragonic power into Buster Blader, so that they can remain together forever in some way...

And with this new power, Buster Blader emerges as the strongest swordsman to walk the earth, the ultimate Dragonslayer with the power of a Dragon itself running through his veins, his armor becomes stronger, his sword gets an upgrade and he achieves his ultimate form, with the power of his long time friend with him in every new adventure he takes from now on.

If you actually read the cards that form the story, you will notice that deck revolves around equipping Buster Blader with the different swords to get it's destruction effect going against Dragons, Spellcasters and Machines. Buster Whelp will help you bring Buster Blader easily, and Synchroing into Buster Dragon will allow you to revive Buster Bladers every turn, with Buster Dragon on the field changing the type of all opponent's monster to Dragon, it's just a matter of fusion summoning Buster Blader's ultimate form for some massive, game ending damage against one of your opponent's monster.

Buster Whelp :'(
Really like their method of telling a small story through supporting cards.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
Buster Blader

Original Artwork:

Latest Artwork:
latest

Generation 5 as I keep bringing up in these Gen 1 reviews, gave a LOT of love to many cards, but it gave Buster Blader something he really needed to be something beyond "The Warrior that fuses with Dark Magician", they gave him his own identity and a story all for himself. He's a card with his own lore and that can stand on his own, no longer bound by Dark Magician's popularity.

The battle is as cruel as the fate of these two friends, and in the end, Buster Blader manages to strike the killing blow, he throws his blade aside in the rain, as the memories of his good friend make grief overtake him

While far from competitive, this deck is fun and it gave Buster Blader it's own identity. So I will always love it for that.

I think I already gave you enough trivia for this one lol.

NEXT UP!
sweet-chestnuts.jpg

Thanks for doing this thread. It definitely got me back interested in the franchise more than I had been since I was a kid. Link Evolution needs to launch now, not in August.

Played around with masked heroes in Legacy of the Duelist when it came out and now I play almost entirely Monarchs.

Wiseblade

Oct 26, 2017
The kuriboh series is nice in that rather than try to build a deck around a handtrap, it Konami instead decide to create a legion of variations on the idea of monsters that prevent you from taking damage from attacking monsters.

Weirdly enough, there's also the Gardna series of monsters that do the exact same thing on slightly different ways and the two have been competing for relevance almost since inception.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Why do I get the feeling you could build some evil decks around this card
latest

Although not as dangerous as the original manga's version to negate all xyz summons(then again a monster that could negate all extra deck summons would be extremely evil...)

Mario Bilo

trying to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Jan 7, 2018
Now that is the core of an anti-meta deck I've been looking for! But um can you actually get it out fast enough to be effective?
The other guy is still fun though

Yes I am still considering lotdle if my backlog isn't too bad when it comes out.
Well it's a pendulum monster so if you build your scale right it shouldn't be hard. And you always always resummon him from the extra deck.

DuskBlade98

May 24, 2019
It used to be ridiculously easy to summon with Dark Matter Dragon sending it and Arkbrave to the GY, but even now it can be cheesed out rather effectively via Guardragon Elpy or Heiratic Link, or even just hard drawing and special summoning it via Saryuja. It's a really fun card in some dragon or link based decks.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Now that is the core of an anti-meta deck I've been looking for! But um can you actually get it out fast enough to be effective?
The other guy is still fun though

Yes I am still considering lotdle if my backlog isn't too bad when it comes out.
The issue here is amorphages all stop you from summoning non amorphage monsters from your extra deck, and there is no amorphage link

Kuriboh
OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Kuriboh

Original Artwork:

Latest Artwork:
latest

One of Yugi's most trusted cards is a little Level 1, DARK, Fiend type effect monster. Kuriboh is usually met with underestimation frm Yugi's opponents and in some cases, outright ridicule, however, Yugi always manages to make his plays involving this little card worth it, from playing a key role in the defeat of Mai Valentine and Maximillion Pegasus, to outright saving Yugi, Jaden Yuki and Yusei Fudo from certain defeat during the three protagonists face off against the evil Paradox, Kuriboh is always full of surprises!

In terms of design Kuriboh is the definition of simplicity, it's just a cute little furball with anime eyes and small, greenn reptilian limbs. Kuriboh is just adorable, his little eyes are just looking at me and saying "Please use me!" awww man, it's so fucking cute! The blue background is too simple for my tastes but I think it's supposed to give us the idea that despite it's innocent exterior, Kuriboh is still a fiend type monster, and one you don´t want to piss off.
32d.gif

His newest artwork I´m not a fan of, full disclosure, the green limbs always looked a bit weird to me in the original artwork. but this purple hair ball with yellow limbs version of Kuriboh just looks straight up bad for me, it looks way too unnatural for my tastes, that said, the newest background is much better, as it hints towards Kuriboh's ability to multiply, I quite like it.

For the game, Kuribo is one of the very first "handtraps" in the game, that means, monsters with effects that can be activated during the opponent's turn by discarding them from your hand. In Kuriboh's case the effect is a bit underwhelming as it can protect you from the damage of just 1 battle, making any other battle damage you receive still go directly to your LP. That said Kuriboh's ability to activate it's effect left a mark in the game, as today, for better or worse, "Handtraps" are an extremely vital part of building a competitive deck.

Yugi usually summons Kuriboh to the field, despite it's ability requiring him to have him in his hand, the reason for this is that there's several card to support a Kuriboh" on the field, the most famous one, as you might remember from Duelist Kingdom is "Multiply"

Multiply allows you to fill your field with "Kuriboh Tokens" which made for a decent barrier back in the day, nowadays it might sound tempting to get 5 Kuriboh Tokens and spam some Link Summons with them, but unfortunately "Scapegoat" is simply a much better option for that job, leaving "Multiply" forgotten in an era where Token Spam is very useful. Still, you cannot forget that "Multiply" is just half of Yugi's strategy! Back in the day Yugi used to say that "Kuriboh explodes when an enemy touches it", which is total bullshit, Kuriboh has no such effect, so a card was created to try and make it seem like Yugi wasn't making stuff up as he went. Here's "Detonate"

And while "Detonate" is a fun explanation to Yugi's straight up cheating, it's no substitute for a good ol' "Raigeki" or "Dark Hole" if destroying your opponent's monsters is what you want to do.

Yugi displayed a lot of Kuriboh variants during his run as protagonist, many (such as the fusion monster "Kuribabylon") are still to be printed even! But there's always a healthy stream of Kuriboh in Yugi's Deck.

In the "Waking the Dragons" arc, Yugi used a brand new variant of Kuriboh "Kuribandit"

And while not a handtrap, this card became extremely popular as it could easily fill up your graveyard. For decks that use effects that activate in the graveyard "Kuribandit" was a godsend, it's ability to let you take a card among the ones sent to the graveyard for your hand was just a nice little bonus.

In that movie I hate "Dark Side of Dimensions", Yugi showed off his newer version of Kuriboh against the evil Aigami, he called this one "Clear Kuriboh"

Which can negate effect damage and shield you from an attack while it's in the graveyard...Provided you draw a monster to shield you. It's not exactly a great card as there is better options for this kind of effects, but more Kuriboh can't hurt.

Then thehe Gen 5 "Structure Deck: Yugi Muto" gave us the latest Kuriboh for Yugi's Deck, lovingly referred as "Pope Kuriboh", here's "Kuribohrn"!

Kuribohrn can revive a monster that was just destroyed in battle this turn, and while in your graveyard it can shield you from an attack by reviving as many "Kuriboh" monsters as possible from your graveyard, this one is by far the most useful of all of Yugi's Kuriboh handtraps at the moment and it's still not very remarkable...

But fear not! We're just at the tip of a gargantuan Kuriboh iceberg. Kuriboh's immense popularity created a certain tradition in YuGiOh!, where all it's anime protagonist have a "Kuriboh" monster one way or the other. As such Round 3 will be the Round of the Kuriboh! at the end of each Generation we will always get some Kuriboh action as I will review each generation's "Kuriboh" cards!

Surely you won't EVER get tired of Kuriboh right?

TRIVIA TIME

Kazuki Takahashi recently designed the card "Palladium Oracle Mana"

Who can be seen summoning a brand new Ancient Egyptian Kuriboh, after lots of speculation, this particular Kuriboh was also released and named "Ankuriboh"

A manga exclusive, Takahashi designed Kuriboh that can search for "Monster Reborn"!

Generation 1, Round 3 is DONE!

Next Up!

A certain set of god ripoffs you guys wanted me to review...yay

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Kuriboh

Original Artwork:

Latest Artwork:
latest

One of Yugi's most trusted cards is a little Level 1, DARK, Fiend type effect monster. Kuriboh is usually met with underestimation frm Yugi's opponents and in some cases, outright ridicule, however, Yugi always manages to make his plays involving this little card worth it, from playing a key role in the defeat of Mai Valentine and Maximillion Pegasus, to outright saving Yugi, Jaden Yuki and Yusei Fudo from certain defeat during the three protagonists face off against the evil Paradox, Kuriboh is always full of surprises!

In terms of design Kuriboh is the definition of simplicity, it's just a cute little furball with anime eyes and small, greenn reptilian limbs. Kuriboh is just adorable, his little eyes are just looking at me and saying "Please use me!" awww man, it's so fucking cute! The blue background is too simple for my tastes but I think it's supposed to give us the idea that despite it's innocent exterior, Kuriboh is still a fiend type monster, and one you don´t want to piss off.
32d.gif

His newest artwork I´m not a fan of, full disclosure, the green limbs always looked a bit weird to me in the original artwork. but this purple hair ball with yellow limbs version of Kuriboh just looks straight up bad for me, it looks way too unnatural for my tastes, that said, the newest background is much better, as it hints towards Kuriboh's ability to multiply, I quite like it.

For the game, Kuribo is one of the very first "handtraps" in the game, that means, monsters with effects that can be activated during the opponent's turn by discarding them from your hand. In Kuriboh's case the effect is a bit underwhelming as it can protect you from the damage of just 1 battle, making any other battle damage you receive still go directly to your LP. That said Kuriboh's ability to activate it's effect left a mark in the game, as today, for better or worse, "Handtraps" are an extremely vital part of building a competitive deck.

Yugi usually summons Kuriboh to the field, despite it's ability requiring him to have him in his hand, the reason for this is that there's several card to support a Kuriboh" on the field, the most famous one, as you might remember from Duelist Kingdom is "Multiply"

Multiply allows you to fill your field with "Kuriboh Tokens" which made for a decent barrier back in the day, nowadays it might sound tempting to get 5 Kuriboh Tokens and spam some Link Summons with them, but unfortunately "Scapegoat" is simply a much better option for that job, leaving "Multiply" forgotten in an era where Token Spam is very useful. Still, you cannot forget that "Multiply" is just half of Yugi's strategy! Back in the day Yugi used to say that "Kuriboh explodes when an enemy touches it", which is total bullshit, Kuriboh has no such effect, so a card was created to try and make it seem like Yugi wasn't making stuff up as he went. Here's "Detonate"

And while "Detonate" is a fun explanation to Yugi's straight up cheating, it's no substitute for a good ol' "Raigeki" or "Dark Hole" if destroying your opponent's monsters is what you want to do.

Yugi displayed a lot of Kuriboh variants during his run as protagonist, many (such as the fusion monster "Kuribabylon") are still to be printed even! But there's always a healthy stream of Kuriboh in Yugi's Deck.

In the "Waking the Dragons" arc, Yugi used a brand new variant of Kuriboh "Kuribandit"

And while not a handtrap, this card became extremely popular as it could easily fill up your graveyard. For decks that use effects that activate in the graveyard "Kuribandit" was a godsend, it's ability to let you take a card among the ones sent to the graveyard for your hand was just a nice little bonus.

In that movie I hate "Dark Side of Dimensions", Yugi showed off his newer version of Kuriboh against the evil Aigami, he called this one "Clear Kuriboh"

Which can negate effect damage and shield you from an attack while it's in the graveyard...Provided you draw a monster to shield you. It's not exactly a great card as there is better options for this kind of effects, but more Kuriboh can't hurt.

Then thehe Gen 5 "Structure Deck: Yugi Muto" gave us the latest Kuriboh for Yugi's Deck, lovingly referred as "Pope Kuriboh", here's "Kuribohrn"!

Kuribohrn can revive a monster that was just destroyed in battle this turn, and while in your graveyard it can shield you from an attack by reviving as many "Kuriboh" monsters as possible from your graveyard, this one is by far the most useful of all of Yugi's Kuriboh handtraps at the moment and it's still not very remarkable...

But fear not! We're just at the tip of a gargantuan Kuriboh iceberg. Kuriboh's immense popularity created a certain tradition in YuGiOh!, where all it's anime protagonist have a "Kuriboh" monster one way or the other. As such Round 3 will be the Round of the Kuriboh! at the end of each Generation we will always get some Kuriboh action as I will review each generation's "Kuriboh" cards!

Surely you won't EVER get tired of Kuriboh right?

TRIVIA TIME

Kazuki Takahashi recently designed the card "Palladium Oracle Mana"

Who can be seen summoning a brand new Ancient Egyptian Kuriboh, after lots of speculation, this particular Kuriboh was also released and named "Ankuriboh"

A manga exclusive, Takahashi designed Kuriboh that can search for "Monster Reborn"!

Generation 1, Round 3 is DONE!

Next Up!

A certain set of god ripoffs you guys wanted me to review...yay

Hey I wanted the superior Planet series XD
Don't go blaming me

Feb 24, 2018
So I know I'm way late to the party to discuss Buster Blader, but their is something I noticed today that I want to someone to verify it.

For research for a personal project, I was looking up the Yu-Gi-Oh novelisation (and adaptation of the first two arcs plus a new story) and it included Buster Blader in it. The reason I found that odd was the date of the Novels publishing, September of 1999. Looking up the release date of Buster Blader debut in the manga, it's release date was April 2000 and the card's debut September 2000.

So was Buster Blader first ever appearance in a long forgotten obscure novel? Is Buster Blader the Boba Fett of YGO?

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
So I know I'm way late to the party to discuss Buster Blader, but their is something I noticed today that I want to someone to verify it.

For research for a personal project, I was looking up the Yu-Gi-Oh novelisation (and adaptation of the first two arcs plus a new story) and it included Buster Blader in it. The reason I found that odd was the date of the Novels publishing, September of 1999. Looking up the release date of Buster Blader debut in the manga, it's release date was April 2000 and the card's debut September 2000.

So was Buster Blader first ever appearance in a long forgotten obscure novel? Is Buster Blader the Boba Fett of YGO?

Maybe it was added in a later print of that novel?

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Kuriboh love <3

Man, I really need to rewatch Yu Gi Oh, I never made it throught that weird season where the Battle City Tournament was distruptet and they suddenly were in some weird Cyberspace game.

Farrac

Nov 3, 2017
Alcalá de Henares, Spain
Kuriboh love <3

Man, I really need to rewatch Yu Gi Oh, I never made it throught that weird season where the Battle City Tournament was distruptet and they suddenly were in some weird Cyberspace game.
I skipped the first episodes of that arc as a child and I was so confused as to what was going on. I expected some Marik shenanigans and we were suddenly in cyberspace.

Raviel, Lord of Phantasms
OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Raviel, Lord of Phantasms
Generation 2: GX
Users: Kagemaru

Artwork:

HooAmEye Birdie Fine, you win. Our last cards from GX start with the Sacred Cards hidden deep within Duel Academy. One of Duel Academy's original headmasters found that these powerful creatures rested in Duel Academy Island, fearing that their power could envelop the world in darkness he sealed them inside the Spirit Gatesm which would require seven spirit keys to open. In his elderly years, Kagemaru's fear of death got the best of him, and he decided to use the sacred beasts in an attempt to win eternal life, for this reason, he sent the Shadow Raiders to gather the keys from their chosen guardians in Duel Academy, setting up GX´s first real conflict.

These cards are notably known as "Phantasms" in the original Japanese and their translated names missed the fact that they are all archetype. In these reviews I´ll take a look at each Sacred Beast individually and talk about some of the cards that have been created to support them.

Artwise, it's not hard to see where Raviel takes inspiration from, he's supposed to be a reference to Obelisk the Tormentor. All sacred beasts ahave modified Egyptian God design, my main issue with this is that the sacred beasts are never stated to have any real relation with the original gods, making them feel like cheap ripoffs. Could´ve easily solved this by saying their a remnant of the god's powers or maybe their servants, but nope, nothing. If I try to detach myself from the "Ripoff" feel they give me I think Raviel is probably the most unique in terms of design, he looks like a demon with blue armor, a cool helmet and with sharp claws ready to attack, it's body shape, pose and the purple exposed muscles set him apart from Obelisk enough for me to be able to not think of Obelisk as soon as I see him, and that's something the other sacred beast don't have. The background with the Spirit Keys is way too similar to the god cards background with egyptian symbols, so much that I can't ignore it, thankfully, in Raviel's case, it's barely visible. Overall, I'd call Raviel my favorite Sacred Beast design, and it's 100% because of how cool his head looks to me, I don't kknow why, but the shape of his head looks BADASS to me.

As a card, Raviel is a bit harder to summon than his Egyptian God counterpart, as it requires 3 Fiend monsters to be tributed for it's summon instead of just 3 monsters, however Raviel has the benefit of being summoned through a Special Summon, instead of wasting your Normal Summon of the turn like Obelisk does, this opens up for easier summoning with a dedicated Fiend deck. It's effects are focused entirely on attack. Every time your opponent Normal Summons a monster, Raviel will palce a 1000/1000 Token on your field, which can then be tributed to use Raviel's second effect of Tributing a monster and gaining it's ATK points. With a 4000 base ATK you'd think this a great effect, but if there's one thing that is true in this game is that high attack points arent worth squat without a strategy behind them. Raviel might have high ATK but its lack of protections and it's cost make Fiend Focused decks like "Burning Abyss" completely ignore it over cards with newer summoning methods. Raviel is not a very popular as there's easier to summon cards that do what he it does, and more.

Support for "Sacred Beasts" is scarce, so I´ll divide it among the three reviews. In Raviel's case, it has a cards that gives you the amount of tributes to summon it....provided you have another sacred beast on the field

Yeah...not good, this has dead draw written all over it.

The actual GOOD support for these carsd comes in the form of a Field Spell. "Fallen paradise" gives these cards, the protection they are lacking to make good use of it's high ATK

Plus it let's you draw 2 cards every turn you have a sacred beast on field! That's amazing!

Unfortunately, the Sacred Beasts are so hard to summon that no dedicated deck for them manages to be playable, even with all the support we'll be talking about later. Still these cards are a nice memory of one of the best Products Konami ever released:
latest

It's a binder modeled after a Slifer Red Uniform! I love it!...Oh and it also started the tradition of releasing packs with lots of foiled reprints of popular cards.

TRIVIA TIME

The sacred beasts are all named after Judeo-Christan Angels, in this case, Raviel references "Raziel"

Next Up!
giphy.gif

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I was gonna ask with NGE on Netflix which Yu-Gi-Oh cards are thematically simillar to it...I guess these count?

Also the fact GX had a few references like Asuka and Rei

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I can't wait until we get to the amazingly shit card that is the true "boss" of the sacred beasts. It's so fucking bad