• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
https://www.wsj.com/articles/in-tig...he-ones-to-watch-1541415600?mod=hp_major_pos9

For years, the Republican Party could count on strong support from one big bloc of the electorate: White men with college degrees. Now, there are signs that this once-reliable pillar of the GOP has not only weakened in its support for the party but has begun bolstering Democrats.

Polling throughout the year has shown white, college educated men tilting toward the Democratic Party by several percentage points--making them essentially a swing group, available to either party. These men account for nearly one in five voters in competitive House districts, polling shows, and so their candidate choices could be enough to provide a winning margin in many races on Tuesday.

Politically speaking, his group has traveled a long distance in recent decades. In 1994, 62% of white men with bachelor's degrees wanted Republicans to control Congress, while 29% preferred Democrats -- a net tilt to the GOP of 33 percentage points, Journal/NBC News polling found that year. Today, the picture is far different.

That's a substantial change, especially when compared with white men who don't have four-year college degrees. That group, often called working-class white men, remain core supporters of the Republican Party and overwhelmingly back President Trump.

But in 1994, when Journal/NBC News polling started tracking the trend, it was the white men with college degrees who leaned most heavily toward the GOP—as they did for years afterward.

The most recent Journal/NBC News poll, released Sunday, confirms the trend.

White men without degrees favor GOP control of Congress, 64% to 30%, the new poll found. White men with degrees favor Democratic control, 48% to 43%.

"That's a problem if you're a Republican," said Micah Roberts, a GOP polling expert with the firm Public Opinion Strategies, who works on Journal/NBC News polls. "One of the reasons they may not do well this year,'' he said, referring to GOP candidates, "is because, among other things, they're losing these very reliable voters.

This is specifically a subset within white males, those with college degrees, which the GOP is losing. Non-college educated white males are GOP stronghold.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a white guy with a college degree and will be voting straight Democrat.

Ml1LhXG.gif

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I'm a white male with a college degree. I use to vote Republican or even (shudders) Libertarian in races prior to 2016. This will be the second election where I vote Democrat.

Lundren

Oct 27, 2017
It will be a strange turn of events to have my future resting in the hands of white males.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a bad take in the article. The key isnt just men, its that men stayed static, women swung hard to the Dems, and that effect appears to now be compounded by many of those enthusiastic male Trump first time voters from 2016 not coming out a second time, not only altering the gender margins but also the gender ratios in the E day electorate.

kris.

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Pasty white with an associates, working on a bachelors. Voted dem down the line last week without hesitation.

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
I am a white male without a college degree and voted straight Democrat ticket. Get fucked, GOP

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am a White college educated male and they wouldn't let me vote.

Nobody told me I had to be a citizen. Excuuuuuse me I thought this was America?!

Last edited:

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Finally, white males get some sort of power in this world.

ahoyhoy

Oct 25, 2017
White college educated republican Republicans were only interested in tax cuts.

Once they got those, why keep turning out? Especially if it means having to associate with the proudly ignorant.

legacyzero

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean, they have always been the last few elections. And we here on Era throw shit at them (rightfully) for flipping in 2016, but (wrongfully) write them off as lost forever. While pushing for the ultimate turn-out is the best idea, also pushing for causes that the dreaded " WWC" boogey man can get behind. Two-time Obama voters didn't just become a red hat MAGA clown Republican.

I'm a white male without a degree who voted D down the ticket, and will do so tomorrow. But I also didn't have problems putting food on the table or feel like my job an dlivlihood were at risk in 2016. Funny I didn't imagine either of those things would be a problem. They became a problem precisely after Trump won. After the "tax cuts" my Fortune 500 employer cut thousands of jobs and demanded that I either take a package, or relocate to another state.

So I'm hoping that the tax cuts and tariff fuckery from the trump admin will backfire spectacularly

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
I'm white, with a degree, and voted like I always do (99% straight D)

Shame it's only one vote :(