• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
There's an unlikely — and improbably spicy — champion in the effort to impeach President Donald Trump.

On Wednesday, Axios published a list of the entities spending the most money on Facebook ads on both sides of the impeachment debate. They included the usual suspects of the political war roll call, including Trump himself (he was top of the list, of course, at $718,000), Democratic presidential candidates Tom Steyer and Elizabeth Warren, and both the National Republican Congressional Committee and the National Republican Senatorial Committee.

But one name jumped off the screen for its sheer one-of-these-things-is-not-like-the-other factor: Penzeys Spices, the nation's largest spice retailer, had dropped $92,000 from Sept. 29 to Oct. 5 on ads championing impeachment. That was more than self-funding millionaire Steyer, more than hard-charging Warren — more than anyone else other than Trump.

What do you expect from a company selling the flavor of Florida?

3a7204aaea25ea7b44e1a6feffec18465620dba4.jpg

KingWillance

Oct 25, 2017
I knew it was gonna be Penzey's when I saw the title. Good on them, they've made my brown bag work lunches a little less sad.

aceface

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
My wife is on the Penzey's mailing list and they make no secret of the fact that they haaaate Trump. They also send out free spices all the time. Nice company. Here's an article talking about it. https://www.newyorker.com/culture/annals-of-gastronomy/ceo-who-called-trump-racist-penzeys-spice-mix

A week after Donald Trump was elected the forty-fifth President of the United States, Bill Penzey sent an e-mail to a few thousand people. "The open embrace of racism by the Republican Party in this election is now unleashing a wave of ugliness unseen in this country for decades," he wrote. "The American people are taking notice. Let's commit to giving the people a better choice." The recipients weren't friends or colleagues or the fellow-members of an activist group. They were customers—subscribers to the mailing list of Penzey's Wisconsin-based company, Penzeys Spices, which, with an online store and sixty-five retail locations, is America's largest independent spice retailer. At the end of the message, he mentioned the company's Thanksgiving specials, including a gift box of four mini-jars of spices for ten dollars.

butalala

Nov 24, 2017
Penzey's was already great. When I first heard about this news my heart sank because I thought they were spending on anti-impeachment ads, but what a relief to learn it was the opposite. I think I'll buy some gift packages from them to give at Christmastime!

KingWillance

Oct 25, 2017
My wife is on the Penzey's mailing list and they make no secret of the fact that they haaaate Trump. They also send out free spices all the time. Nice company. Here's an article talking about it. https://www.newyorker.com/culture/annals-of-gastronomy/ceo-who-called-trump-racist-penzeys-spice-mix
My wife found out about them by taking advantage of a free giveaway they were doing in response to one of the many hateful things Trump does. Wish their baking spices were a bit more exciting than their cooking ones.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Penzey's was already great. When I first heard about this news my heart sank because I thought they were spending on anti-impeachment ads, but what a relief to learn it was the opposite. I think I'll buy some gift packages from them to give at Christmastime!
same.

glad they do this. Im more than happy to buy even more penzys.

MonoStable

Oct 27, 2017
Well looks like I need to upgrade my spice game. Never even heard of these guys but company sounds great.

KingWillance

Oct 25, 2017
Well looks like I need to upgrade my spice game. Never even heard of these guys but company sounds great.

I know nothing about spices but they as far as I can tell they have some pretty good things. Also have some kooky stuff like Frozen Pizza seasoning and Sandwich Sprinkles (which I actually use to make my work lunches a bit more lively)

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Penzey's is great, they're a good example of a Wisconsin based company that takes the state's motto to heart

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
Penzey's rules. Buy all of your herbs and spices from them and you will never be disappointed. Their unabashed leftist politics just sweetens the deal.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
I read the title wrong, I thought they were buying advertisements to impeach everyone except for Trump, not that Trump spent the most on impeachment-related advertisements. Now that I think about it, the way I read it makes little sense.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Never heard of them but looks like I'll get on their mailing list and check out out. Making my own hot sauce from cayenne and jalapeños I grew this weekend

Oct 28, 2017
As a regular purchaser of Penzey's stuff, I get Bill's emails often. They're liberal, passionate, and very critical. Good on them, and this both doesn't and does surprise me. If this is introducing anyone to their spices or blends for the first time, I heartily endorse Fox Point. It makes eggs truly transcendent, even crappy hotel buffet eggs are transformed by it. If you have a store near you, you can go in and smell (and they may let you taste if you ask) anything to see how you like it.

Grifter

Oct 26, 2017
Smart platform. His opponents can't much boycott when their idea of spice is mayonnaise. Now who sells this stuff?

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I've never heard of this brand but will buy them in the future.

Ahh, I see you have to buy it online or in their own stores (there are spice stores?!) according to above.. that's a little limiting but I'll try and buy something from their site next time.

Edit: Sent this to my wife and said we need to buy their stuff and apparently there is actually a store in Austin and my wife has bought stuff there before. Okay, good to know! Now to buy more I guess.

Double Edit: The store here apparently closed. Oh well. Back to the internet.

Last edited:

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Figured it was Penzeys when I saw the title. My wife buys aleppo pepper from them regularly. They are super unapologetic about their stance.

Has Bean

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
If you are like me and are used to using generic, old ass spices from the grocery store, you should try Penzeys. I just got into them this past year and it's mind blowing how much better their stuff is compared to shit like McCormicks imo. My SO and I try to get all our spices from them now.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Spice extends life. The Spice expands consciousness. The Spice is vital to Impeachment.

The Administration and its enablers who the Spice has, corrupted over three years, obey the Orange Spice Gasbag, which gives them the ability to bend truth. That is, get away with almost any crime - without shame.

Oh yes. I almost forgot to tell you. The Spice exists in only one state in the nation. A desolate, swampy state, with vast parking lots. Hidden away within the strip malls of these swamps are a people known as Florida Man. Who have long held a prophecy, that a man would come. A burnt umber God Emperor. Who would lead them to true Greatness, to stop y'all brutalizin' them. The State is Florida. Also home of, Mar a Lago.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Going through their website right now. We hear about shitty companies doing or supporting shitty things all the time, I'm happy to support a company trying to do good for the world.

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
As a regular purchaser of Penzey's stuff, I get Bill's emails often. They're liberal, passionate, and very critical. Good on them, and this both doesn't and does surprise me. If this is introducing anyone to their spices or blends for the first time, I heartily endorse Fox Point. It makes eggs truly transcendent, even crappy hotel buffet eggs are transformed by it. If you have a store near you, you can go in and smell (and they may let you taste if you ask) anything to see how you like it.

I have one near my workplace, thanks, I'll check them out tomorrow.