• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Anthony Hopkins
Feb 10, 2018
Technically the thread title mentioned the games (360/PS3), but not what hardware they're running on, but I get now that's not the comparison you wanted to come from this. Sorry.

I say 360/ps3 games. That is not hard to understand. The only hardware they will run on is the 360 and ps3.

Last edited:

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
They are some of the best looking switch games.
I'm fact I would say doom is technically most advanced switch game.
But this is beside the point, zelda, Mario, astral chain are all welcome in this discussion because they are also some of the technicaly advanced switch games.

Also this thread is about the technical aspects, because using art style would really confuse things.
If you want to discuss art make your own thread.
Since you think art style will confuse things and you want to be technical. We can use Skyrim to compare differences of last gen console against switch.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't really played anything on Switch that matches the best of PS3/360 so far.
Which ones were best for you?I still have a PS3,and so far,games like The Last of Us,GTA V,God of War 3/Ascension,Uncharted 2/3 still looks better to me than everything I played on Switch yet,but of course Switch could run those games even better.
Yeah I agree.

But I am no expert on the matter.

Graphics to me now just look pretty good on all platforms.
I agree, really, it's hard to find anything,that looks bad.Next gen games will be mind blowing.

Oct 25, 2017
Can most PS4/Xbox One games be ported to 360/3 and if so what changes have to be made beyond visuals?
As in the game is developed with PS4/Zone in mind and later ported to PS3/X360? Straight up no. The GPU on both are ancient and incapable of doing a lot of modern rendering pipeline. To not talk about the RAM difference. Unlike Switch, a DOOM 16 version for PS3/X360 would be a demake, not a port.
cq5dam.thumbnail.319.319.png
WiiU GPU is much more advanced than both PS3/X360. There's also the RAM which is bigger and others WiiU specifics. Zelda wouldn't be running on PS3/X360.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the Switch can do any visual effects that the PS3 couldn't, but it can do pretty much all of them running at better framerate and resolutions.
It sucks that Retro still hasn't showed us what they can do with the Switch's hardware.
The Switch is able to do a lot more than PS3 ever dream of. PBR is a starter.

ShinNL

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
I don't understand why some of you are thinking that listing down ports is a bad thing. Doom looks great. Wolfenstein looks great. I'm looking forward to Witcher 3.

But here's my favorite down port and a reminder to those who don't know this exists. It's by far the best looking game on the Switch.

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
This is some straight up "Wii sucks" circa 2006 topic quality, complete with cherry picked gifs.

Also, overselling the horrific variable resolution ("720p" in name only, usually more like 540 if that), aliasing, blurred textures, and other problems of the 360/PS3 era is laughable.

Ceannaire

Dec 12, 2017
Ireland
Easiest way to judge it is to use games that were on both. Takes the other factors out of the equation.
Should be comparing games like: LA noire, Skyrim, dragons dogma and stuff.

OP
OP
Anthony Hopkins
Feb 10, 2018
There is nothing stopping the PS3/360 from using PBR, several games did. PBR itself is not that performance intensive.

Really? Have any examples.

This is some straight up "Wii sucks" circa 2006 topic quality, complete with cherry picked gifs.

Also, overselling the horrific variable resolution ("720p" in name only, usually more like 540 if that), aliasing, blurred textures, and other problems of the 360/PS3 era is laughable.

And yet you waste your time posting in this thread.

OP
OP
Anthony Hopkins
Feb 10, 2018
If your going to post examples of graphical effects, then post them, rather then just say the games titles. Please.

Yiazmat

Oct 25, 2017

Nere

Dec 8, 2017
You are already getting flamed but I agree with you, I love my switch, but there is barely much difference between it and xbox360/ps3 in graphical fidelity.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know about everyone else but I'd be very pleased if Metroid Prime 4 looked as good as Halo 4 but rendered at 900p when docked with some more advanced effects.

Halo 4 was absolute witchcraft for a 360 game and shows (like RDR2) what can be achieved when you combine extremely talented artists and programmers with an almost unlimited budget.

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks.
Never seen remember me, looks ahead of its time. Makes the current gen "leap" seem smaller
The PC version looks practically as good as some current gen games.

Yeah, it was super forward looking. Games like it are a great demonstration of how much graphical improvements are driven by advancements in tools and approaches on the developer side rather than exclusively hardware.

Jun 20, 2019
It has the hardware architecture and components to outperform both the 360 and PS3 in many situations, yes. The OP seems to wish this was a subjective debate that could be argued by posting "screens", but it ain't.

Both the PS3 and 360 struggled to achieve 1080p/60Hz. Switch's first year set of releases demonstrated the Switch could meet that standard without difficulty.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Not a game, but there was also this tri-Ace demo:

• Rendered in real-time on Xbox 360 / PlayStation 3
  • Runs at 30Hz with 720p and is directly captured from the video output on the devkit
  • Real-time lighting and shadowing used (no baked light maps)
  • Key features are physically-based shading models, physically-based lighting and image-based global illumination

Wow, that's really impressive.

OP
OP
Anthony Hopkins
Feb 10, 2018
Yeah, it was super forward looking. Games like it are a great demonstration of how much graphical improvements are driven by advancements in tools and approaches on the developer side rather than exclusively hardware.

I suppose this gen was just a higher quantity of graphical effects, more polys, better textures and higher resolutions.
I suppose next gen will be the same I wonder what effect will be the most dramatic new one next gen.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
I'm sorry to say that, but is that a joke/bait thread?
The technologies used aren't even close.

OP
OP
Anthony Hopkins
Feb 10, 2018
Not a game, but there was also this tri-Ace demo:

• Rendered in real-time on Xbox 360 / PlayStation 3
  • Runs at 30Hz with 720p and is directly captured from the video output on the devkit
  • Real-time lighting and shadowing used (no baked light maps)
  • Key features are physically-based shading models, physically-based lighting and image-based global illumination

Lol, I remember being blown away by this demo, now it looks quite unimpressive.
Oh how perception changes.

Niceguydan8

Nov 1, 2017
We can use any game on the platforms, they don't have to be the same game.
But skyrim is a good one.

Naw, the person is using Skyrim because it's a true apples to apples comparison. You can say "Halo 4 looks better than SMO" and not be disingenuous becuase you prefer the art style of Halo 4 over that of SMO.

A comparison of Skryim on a 360/PS4 is literally comparing the capabilities of each machine using the same base product, which you actually don't do in any of your original comparisons.

Unless the point of your post is actually saying "I prefer this art style over that art style," which is fine, but doesn't really serve much of a point. I think some SNES games are visually superior (in the sense that I prefer them) compared to some more modern games. They certainly aren't technically more impressive, I just prefer the art.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
They're in the ballpark albeit higher res on the switch. A nice enough boost when you consider how many people out there can hardly distinguish the two versions of a crossgen game.

The switch upgraded the biggest bottleneck, anyhow. Memory.

OP
OP
Anthony Hopkins
Feb 10, 2018
I'm sorry to say that, but is that a joke/bait thread?
The technologies used aren't even close.
No
Naw, the person is using Skyrim because it's a true apples to apples comparison. You can say "Halo 4 looks better than SMO" and not be disingenuous becuase you prefer the art style of Halo 4 over that of SMO.

A comparison of Skryim on a 360/PS4 is literally comparing the capabilities of each machine using the same base product, which you actually don't do in any of your original comparisons.

Unless the point of your post is actually saying "I prefer this art style over that art style," which is fine, but doesn't really serve much of a point. I think some SNES games are visually superior (in the sense that I prefer them) compared to some more modern games. They certainly aren't technically more impressive, I just prefer the art.

Well odyssey does run at 60fps, with more advanced effects then halo 4.
But its a poor comparison which is why I compared halo 4 and Doom switch.
The thing about the switch/360 skyrim comparison is that it's selling the switch a bit short because its limited to the advancements in the skyrim remaster.
Doom switch show a quantity and quality of effects that no ps3/360 game got close too.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Higher resolution and 60fps, a lot of games with a cartoony look on the 360/PS3 were sub-HD and 30fps and even struggling with that.

I don't see MK8D or Smash running on the PS3/360 at 1080p and 60fps.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently the Switch version of Dragon's Dogma uses PS4 version assets and runs at a significantly higher framerate and resolution than the PS3 version, with having some effects/shadows being between PS3 and PS4.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
The resolution and fps, like maybe you could downgrade MK8 for the 360ps3 but not at 60 fps

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
I am not trying to say Switch is weaker than PS3/Xbox360 (of course not) ,my response was because you tried to downplay those ports,they did the best to run on Switch and it is one of the best looking games there.
I don't believe last gen could have The Witcher 3,but Doom maybe,we had Metal Gear Solid V,Persona 5 ports for last gen too.
Persona 5 is unmistakably PS3 quality MGSV is impress

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
Generally they aren't superior. It's been all about the art design and level of polish that affect how appealing games look since the PS360 days.

Sure, image quality and resolution are often higher now, but at least to me, Switch games "look the same" generally, and that's okay!

It's quite telling that opinions vary whether Switch is closer to PS3 or PS4. The difference just isn't very big to most.