• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
Well I did note the RAM being the major issue. But still, the feature set of the WiiU was not hugely beyond the 360/PS3. The WiiU CPU was weaker than that of the 7th gen systems so you actually gain on the physics end. The game could be ported but obviously there would need to be optimizations and cut backs.

We have to keep in mind port doesnt mean 100% equal.

Because of CPU. Dice had to cutback being able to use the ballistic shield and handgun in BF4 because of memory constraints. You think something more complex like Botw is feasible when it means removing the game's core mechanics?

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Because of CPU. Dice had to cutback being able to use the ballistic shield and handgun in BF4 because of memory constraints. You think something more complex like Botw is feasible when it means removing the game's core mechanics?

What do you not understand about the WiiU CPU being worse than the PS3/360's? CPU wise there isn't any only possible on the WiiU that couldn't be done on those systems.

In memory regards. Do you know how porting works? Memory constraints will obviously be taken into account.

Its like some of you guys think ports to lower hardware are impossible.

Last edited:

Doctre81

Oct 26, 2017
Ya i said ram is closer to the current consoles than ps360. And take something like zelda. It looks a hell of a lot closer to something on ps360 than horizon zero dawn. Feel free to replace zelda with any switch game, nothing changes.
How is the ram closer when the switch has 4 freaking gigs of ram and the 360 and ps3 had half a gig? "take something like Zelda" BOTW is a wiiu port....

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
What do you not understand about the WiiU CPU being worse than the PS3/360's? CPU wise there isn't any only possible on the WiiU that couldn't be done on those systems.

In memory regards. Do you know how porting works? Memory constraints will obviously be taken into account.

Its like some of you guys think ports to lower hardware are impossible.

The cpu isn't going to make up for the lack of ram PERIOD

Oct 26, 2017
Oops read that wrong. But the part about looking closer to ps3 than ps4 is still wrong though
Hmm...I suppose it depends. I see it as perfectly in the middle myself. Nothing like God of War or Horizon: Zero Dawn on the system but plenty of Switch titles, such as Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Arms, run at higher resolutions than nearly any game on the PS3/360, and without a hitch to boot. Then you have lookers like Luigi's Mansion 3 or Astral Chain

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
This thread was intended to discuss what makes switch games look better the last gen games.

It is pro switch.

Some of yall are paranoid.
Theres no anti switch agenda lol
I think the honest answer is that the Nintendo Switch fully benefits from advances in rendering techniques that occurred both before and during the current generation and has the GPU feature set to support them.

You could get approximations on the 360 and PS3 with tricks and hacks but it's not quite the same. BotW has a pretty good tech analysis thread here:

www.resetera.com

Zelda: Breath of the Wild: The Technical Analysis

Posted on behalf of brainchild courtesy of the Adopt-A-User program, Gaming Edition. NOTE: Do you also have a thread you felt like that is worth posting, but you lack the posting capabilities to do so? Give the volunteers at Adopt-A-User a call, and we will assess whether or not your thread is...

RPTGB

Oct 28, 2017
UK
you like the art style but they are not technically as strong as the best of ps360.

Technically as strong? Not quite sure where you are heading with that comment...

There have been a few mentions of the 360 version of Rise Of The Tomb Raider in this thread and It is a game I'd love to see brought over to the Switch.
The 360 version was a superb port BUT there are a lot of clever smoke and mirrors "cheats" going on to make the port feasible. All the real-time, in engine cutscenes were replace with rendered out footage and a lot of the particle effects, were cut back or replaced with pre-rendered sprites. Nixxes were bloody miracle workers on that title though, that's for sure.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's cpu is already significantly weaker than an Intel atom
For crying out loud you have no idea what you are talking about. You don't even have to go into details like more modern architecture, the very fact stuff like Skyrim struggled to run on last gen consoles and the Switch got a version more akin to the PS4 remaster than the old version should tell you enough. Or The Witcher 3 running on it at all.

God damn Doom 2016 runs on this. If you honestly believe Doom 2016 could've run on a PS3, you're freaking delusional. The fact someone in 2019 thinks the Switch is not only as powerful as PS360 but even weaker is mind blowingly dumb.
Now go troll somewhere else please.

Last edited:

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
Power consumption (the new models are down to 9 Watts now?) means games can be played non-stationary without a separate screen or power source. A running game is visually superior to a stationary console on standby.

Resolution (docked connected tv for like-to-like comparison): many multiplats and a few exclusives were capped lower than 720p, some into the 500s if we're talking PS3. I played those and enjoyed them, but the Switch outputs much better than those now.

Better AA capable than quincunx and other methods from that gen.

PBR being commonplace in current-gen games (remember when the Wii stood out as well as PBR was simulated in Super Mario Galaxy)

Far more consistent 30fps than PS3/360, some of those framerates last gen were inconsistent and sagging, but we still played and enjoyed them.

And this is kind of a "duh" answer, but some games have been remastered.

Now it's true, the Switch doesn't have a GTA or a Halo or a Destiny or a Uncharted or a Beyond Two Souls or a Ratchet and Clank. But it does have Warframe, Starlink (an eight-planet solar system total open world, which is all that No Man's Sky keeps accessible at one time anyways), NBA 2K (the full game, not cut down like other nintendo-version sports games), a Witcher, Rocket League, Diablo 3, Dragon Quest XI. Other games like The Outer Worlds and Gods and Monsters are coming. Establishing what is visually superior should be straightforward.

I think this post resumes it!

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Technically as strong? Not quite sure where you are heading with that comment...

There have been a few mentions of the 360 version of Rise Of The Tomb Raider in this thread and It is a game I'd love to see brought over to the Switch.
The 360 version was a superb port BUT there are a lot of clever smoke and mirrors "cheats" going on to make the port feasible. All the real-time, in engine cutscenes were replace with rendered out footage and a lot of the particle effects, were cut back or replaced with pre-rendered sprites. Nixxes were bloody miracle workers on that title though, that's for sure.

Ill just use the first game listed, windwaker hd. The model complexity, shading, lighting, post processing etc is not as advanced as something like uncharted 3

Justin Wong

Apr 1, 2019
For crying out loud you have no idea what you are talking about. You don't even have to go into details like more modern architecture, the very fact stuff like Skyrim struggled to run on last gen consoles and the Switch got a version more akin to the PS4 remaster than the old version should tell you enough. Or The Witcher 3 running on it at all.

God damn Doom 2016 runs on this. If you honestly believe Doom 2016 could've run on a PS3, you're freaking delusional. The fact someone in 2019 thinks the Switch is not only as powerful as PS360 but even weaker is mind blowingly dumb.
Now go troll somewhere else please.
I said the switch is significantly weaker in terms of cpu, not those other things.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I said the switch is significantly weaker in terms of cpu, not those other things.
Well yeah because you compare Gflops and nothing else, like someone who has no idea what they are talking about.

And again, you just have to have some semblence of common sense to see what open world games run on the system compared to PS360 games. It's not that hard.

Doctre81

Oct 26, 2017
Hmm...I suppose it depends. I see it as perfectly in the middle myself. Nothing like God of War or Horizon: Zero Dawn on the system but plenty of Switch titles, such as Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Arms, run at higher resolutions than nearly any game on the PS3/360, and without a hitch to boot. Then you have lookers like Luigi's Mansion 3 or Astral Chain
If it's perfectly in the middle then that means it can't be closer to ps3 than ps4 right? In the middle is...the middle

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Thats pretty much the beginning and ending of the story too. I don't think I have seen any Switch game as visually impressive as GT6 or MGS5 or the Force Unleashed and these were all PS3 games.

Doom 2016 is superior looking to all those game. I dunno, feels like people haven't played PS3 games lately, they look ugly. Modern rendering techniques have come a long ass way.

Oct 26, 2017
Ill just use the first game listed, windwaker hd. The model complexity, shading, lighting, post processing etc is not as advanced as something like uncharted 3
lol You gonna use a GameCube remaster as a point of comparison?

If it's perfectly in the middle then that means it can't be closer to ps3 than ps4 right? In the middle is...the middle
Oh for sure, the middle is where I've always thought of it as. Powerful enough to enhance last gen games and get downgraded current gen titles as well as have exclusives that accomplish stuff that wasn't possible or at least wasn't done as well last gen

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Need for Speed: Most Wanted U

Thats one of the very few multiplatform titles where wii u secures a win but its also not the best available example of what ps360 can output

Can you name me HD remasters that run at native 1080p like they do on the WII U on the Ps3 and 360?

There was no effort put into remastering older gen games at 1080p. remember ps360 launched 5-6 years prior to wii u. 1080p tvs were not wide spread at that point.