• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Feb 10, 2018
The switch is a fascinating console.
It's the closest we will get to somthing that is similar to what a mid gen console might of been last gen (ps3 Pro, 360 X).

What technical visuals effects and qualitys stand out which differate switch games from the 360/ps3 games?

Here's a few pics of the best they both offer

Halo 4 (360)
T6Pf.gif

Doom (switch)

9911be4d7d38d5370495d273129ab4f7678550d2_hq.gif

Uncharted 3
2779583-7085726932-25672.gif

Witcher 3 switch

Witcher 2 360

3ObE.gif

3dmW.gif

RemoteConventionalBlueshark-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Well, for starters, it outputs at higher resolutions for most of its games.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
I'll show you, let me just prepare some downscaled gifs which are compressed to hell and thus appear to look similar.

Absolute Zero

User requested ban
Banned
Sep 1, 2019
Is using downgraded ports the best way to go about this comparison? I'd use exclusives like Astral Chain and Mario and Rabbids to get a true idea of what the Switch is capable of.

I'm not too acquainted with tech, and Nintendo has kept Switch's specs secret anyway, but my understanding is it's closer to XB1/PS4 than X360/PS3, right?

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
Is using downgraded ports the best way to go about this comparison? I'd use exclusives like Astral Chain and Mario and Rabbids to get a true idea of what the Switch is capable of.

I'm not too acquainted with tech, and Nintendo has kept Switch's specs secret anyway, but my understanding is it's closer to XB1/PS4 than X360/PS3, right?
Without the downgrade this games would never run in a Switch,and those downgraded games looks far better than Astral Chain/Mario and Rabbids.

baggage

Oct 25, 2017
2005 technology featureset vs 2015 technology featureset. Lots of improvements in software and tech and such happened in a decade.

From PS3's GeForce 7 series to Maxwell/Pascal, you're not going to say the old geforce architecture is just as good as maxwell is if the flops are similar are you?

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
You are putting games like Witcher 3 and Doom for Switch which are not even released on last gen console so this is a pretty dumb comparison.

Akela

Oct 28, 2017
Very few 360/PS3 games used PBR rendering, for one. And even with the lowered graphical settings of those games, polycounts, texture resolutions and screen resolutions are likely still much higher then most games from that era. You'd be shocked to see just how bad some 360/PS3 games look and feel compared to the standard today.

Better to look at 360/PS3 ports to get a more objective idea of the Switch's performance - for example, Skyrim was almost unplayable on the PS3, sometimes dipping into not even the the teens, but into the single digits, yet on Switch it runs at a nearly flawless 30fps, while running at a higher resolution with higher res textures (and having some, but not all of the graphical effects added in the PS4/One versions).

The Switch is much, much closer to the PS4 and Xbox One then it is to the PS3 and 360. I mean you only have to look at the spec sheet to understand that - reminder that the PS3 had just 256 MB of usable ram. That's just around 10% of what the Switch has.

Last edited:

Absolute Zero

User requested ban
Banned
Sep 1, 2019
Without the downgrade this games would never run in a Switch,and those downgraded games looks far better than Astral Chain/Mario and Rabbids.
But would those downgraded games be able to run on the last gen consoles at all? Would something like The Witcher 3 work on PS3's 256 MB RAM? Can Xbox 360 run DOOM 2016?

Deleted member 4372

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You are putting games like Witcher 3 and Doom for Switch which are not even released on last gen console so this is a pretty dumb comparison.

Not really. Doom 2016 is visually superior to Halo 4. The thread is asking in what way Switch graphics are superior to the 360 generation. Certain visual effects and rendering horsepower in general can be compared across certain titles, and Halo 4 v Switch Doom is a fair comparison.

OP
OP
Anthony Hopkins
Feb 10, 2018

Feel free to add pics and I will post them in the OP

Doom and witcher 3 are still some of the most technically advanced games on switch regardless if the 3rd party of 1st party.

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
Not really. Doom 2016 is visually superior to Halo 4. The thread is asking in what way Switch graphics are superior to the 360 generation. Certain visual effects and rendering horsepower in general can be compared across certain titles, and Halo 4 v Switch Doom is a fair comparison.
OP is cherry picking best looking last gen game exclusives against ports.
No matter how visually advanced these game's are on max settings they have been compromised graphically and visually to run on Switch so not a fair comparison.

OP
OP
Anthony Hopkins
Feb 10, 2018

U make no sense, its a thread about analysing what makes the best looking switch games look better then the best looking 360/ps3 games. The games don't have to be the same....

I don't think he actually said that. Only the games themselves were mentioned, but fair enough it is kinda cheating, though BC games aren't ports.

I clearly state this about comparing switch games to 360/ps3 games, it's even in the thread title.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
But would those downgraded games be able to run on the last gen consoles at all? Would something like The Witcher 3 work on PS3's 256 MB RAM? Can Xbox 360 run DOOM 2016?
I am not trying to say Switch is weaker than PS3/Xbox360 (of course not) ,my response was because you tried to downplay those ports,they did the best to run on Switch and it is one of the best looking games there.
I don't believe last gen could have The Witcher 3,but Doom maybe,we had Metal Gear Solid V,Persona 5 ports for last gen too.

Absolute Zero

User requested ban
Banned
Sep 1, 2019
I am not trying to say Switch is weaker than PS3/Xbox360 (of course not) ,my response was because you tried to downplay those ports,they did the best to run on Switch and it is one of the best looking games there.
I don't believe last gen could have The Witcher 3,but Doom maybe,we had Metal Gear Solid V,Persona 5 ports for last gen too.
Oh, I didn't mean to downplay those ports. From a technical perspective I'm sure they're far more impressive than most Switch exclusives. I just meant that graphically games designed for the hardware are probably better showcases than game's downported.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
Strongly disagree. Mario + Rabbits and such are beautiful games and look better than compromised downports, in my opinion.

EP6CaXe.jpg

I think it is more about art style,it may seem better to you,but it is graphically/technically more demanding and impressive than The Witcher 3 port?
. From a technical perspective I'm sure they're far more impressive than most Switch exclusives. I just meant that graphically games designed for the hardware are probably better showcases than game's downported.
Fair.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Can most PS4/Xbox One games be ported to 360/3 and if so what changes have to be made beyond visuals?

OP
OP
Anthony Hopkins
Feb 10, 2018
Are you implying that Doom, Witcher 3 is best looking games on Switch compared to say Switch exclusives?

They are some of the best looking switch games.
I'm fact I would say doom is technically most advanced switch game.
But this is beside the point, zelda, Mario, astral chain are all welcome in this discussion because they are also some of the technicaly advanced switch games.

Also this thread is about the technical aspects, because using art style would really confuse things.
If you want to discuss art make your own thread.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
The PS3 and Xbox 360 never could have handled The Witcher 3. Most importantly though, they weren't handhelds.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017

Closer to xb1/ps4 in terms of feature set and ram, far closer to ps360 in terms of performance. Given more ram the ps360 would probably be able to run some of the mentioned ports similarly to switch. I believe that is the biggest limitation

pixelation

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Don't use New Donk City as a visual showcase for the Switch please, it's easily one of the ugliest Mario levels ever (artistically and technically speaking). Also you picked the drabbest Ratchet example that you could find, Ratchet is known for it's varied and colorful levels and you choose some green tinted cavern?, what the heck?

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Digital Foundry's Darksiders comparison is pretty good as it compares it both with the PS3 and the PS4 versions:

www.youtube.com

Switch's Darksiders Warmastered Edition: High Res or 60fps - It's Your Choice

Note: There is a small label error at 6:16. As you can tell from the screen-tearing and low-res textures, that is the PS3 original.This is a rather impressiv...

I don't think the Switch can do any visual effects that the PS3 couldn't, but it can do pretty much all of them running at better framerate and resolutions.
It sucks that Retro still hasn't showed us what they can do with the Switch's hardware.

Can most PS4/Xbox One games be ported to 360/3 and if so what changes have to be made beyond visuals?

In all seriousness I think pretty much every PS4/Xbox One game could be ported to PS3/360 with (a lot) worse graphics.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
The Witcher 3 is the best looking Switch game so far for me,just the fact this port exist is unbelievable.

Canas Renvall

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
Simple, OP. Much better CPU with modern architecture, much better GPU, tons more RAM allow for better graphics and framerates.

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
User Banned (3 Days): Low effort drive-by posts. Accumulated Infractions.
haha, joke thread?

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Digital Foundry's Darksiders comparison is pretty good as it compares it both with the PS3 and the PS4 versions:

www.youtube.com

Switch's Darksiders Warmastered Edition: High Res or 60fps - It's Your Choice

Note: There is a small label error at 6:16. As you can tell from the screen-tearing and low-res textures, that is the PS3 original.This is a rather impressiv...

I don't think the Switch can do any visual effects that the PS3 couldn't, but it can do pretty much all of them running at better framerate and resolutions.
It sucks that Retro still hasn't showed us what they can do with the Switch's hardware.

In all seriousness I think pretty much every PS4/Xbox One game could be ported to PS3/360 with (a lot) worse graphics.
Yeah I agree.

But I am no expert on the matter.

Graphics to me now just look pretty good on all platforms.