• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

In which generations did Nintendo's console have the best library? (choose all that apply)

• 3rd (NES, Sega Master System, Atari 7800, SG-1000)

Votes: 1,281 68.6%
  • 4th (SNES, Sega Genesis / Mega Drive, Turbografx-16 / PC Engine, Neo Geo, CD-i)

Votes: 1,491 79.8%
  • 5th (N64, PlayStation, Sega Saturn, Atari Jaguar, 3DO, CD32, PC-FX)

Votes: 283 15.1%
  • 6th (GameCube, PlayStation 2, Xbox, Sega Dreamcast)

Votes: 237 12.7%
  • 7th (Wii, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360)

Votes: 163 8.7%
  • 8th (Switch / Wii U, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Ouya)

Votes: 522 27.9%
  • All of them.

Votes: 188 10.1%

• Total voters

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
You think? I was always under the impression that SNES spanked Genesis in the US quite handedly.

Now sports dominance on Genesis I'll give you. But virtually everything else went to SNES as my memory recalls. From exclusives to better looking/running 3rd-party titles, it always felt like SNES was dominant. And I owned both consoles at the time.

Nope. SNES lost to the Genesis in the US every year they went head to head. The data on that was floating around the old forum for a long time, but I can't be bothered to try to dig it up.

The SNES eventually outsold it because Sega killed the Genesis early to focus their efforts on the Saturn, while Nintendo had the resources to keep supporting the SNES.

as for "everything else" the Genesis had a huge amount of platformers, action games, shmups, fighters, etc that either were better on that platform or didn't show up on the SNES. Third party support on that system was HUGE, and there were things like the Xmen games (which launched at the peak of that franchise) that were so much better on Genesis that it quite frankly was inexplicable.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017
You think? I was always under the impression that SNES spanked Genesis in the US quite handedly.

Now sports dominance on Genesis I'll give you. But virtually everything else went to SNES as my memory recalls. From exclusives to better looking/running 3rd-party titles, it always felt like SNES was dominant. And I owned both consoles at the time.

Quite a few mutiplats are better on the Genesis. I wouldn't say there's any dominance in that department at all. For instance:

Lemmings
Earthworm Jim
Desert Strike series
Hard Drivin'
Mickey Mania
Toy Story
Cool Spot
Thunder Force 3 / Thunder Spirits

off the top of my head, all uncontroversial choices.

Last edited:

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
NES and SNES. Nintendo hasn't been a home console king, at least in terms of game library quality, in quite a while. The mobile/handheld gaming market on the other hand is a different story.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Quite a few mutiplats are better on the Genesis. I wouldn't say there's any dominance in that department at all. For instance:

Lemmings
Earthworm Jim
Desert Strike series
Hard Drivin'
Mickey Mania
Toy Story
Thunder Force 3 / Thunder Spirits

off the top of my head, all uncontroversial choices.
Yeah, but SNES got the better Aladdin ;)

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017
This is pretty much between nintendo and sega/sony IMO

NES > sega
SNES > sega
ps1 > n64 (I adore the n64 but a lot of stuff that came out on ps1 is just industry defining shit)
ps2 > gamecube
ps3 > wii

and ps4 / switch is a tie pretty much.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
NES and SNES.
NES was special, I was a Commodore guy and was super jealous at a friend who had Zelda, Super Mario, Castlevania, Ice Climbers. I bought my first NES much later, after getting annoyed at the low framerates in PS1 games, . SNES was just plain awesome, still is. I alternate between Super Metroid and BOTW for the best game ever.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is pretty much between nintendo and sega/sony IMO

NES > sega
SNES > sega
ps1 > n64 (I adore the n64 but a lot of stuff that came out on ps1 is just industry defining shit)
ps2 > gamecube
ps3 > wii

and ps4 / switch is a tie pretty much.
I think it's too early to say PS4 and Switch are tied since PS4 has 3 years more worth of games. And tbh, as much as I enjoy Switch's first party offerings, a lot of them have been kinda just fine sequels and ports, very safe, where as Sony has been really swinging for the fences.

To be sure, Switch has been making up for lost time. I can't keep up.

Edit: example games being Kirby Star Allies, Yoshi's Whooly World, Splatoon 2, Mario Tennis Aces, Luigi's Mansion 3.

Solid but safe entries, some better than others, that don't really rock the boat

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I don't know how can anyone not vote for the switch+wiiu

considering you accept this irrational idea that they are in the same generation =P

MegaMix

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The issue with the Genesis and especially the PC Engine is that a lot of the best games on those platforms tend to be cult hits and "bottom shelf" games. While the SNES titles are mostly huge heavy hitters.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's insane to me that anyone thinks the GameCube had a better library than PS2

Must have really, really, really liked Metroid Prime. I did too but like

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
NES/SNES for sure.

You can make an argument for Switch over XB1, but probably not over PS4 at this point.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know how can anyone not vote for the switch+wiiu

considering you accept this irrational idea that they are in the same generation =P
They aren't the same generation but considering the overlap and the fact that most of the notable Wii U games are now on Switch I kinda get ir.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
No way. The PS1 has so many good jRPGs that still hold up to this day.

N64 games aged very poorly. Even Mario 64 feels terrible today, that fucking camera sucks.
If you're criticizing the N64 for its technical performance, name five JRPGs on the PS1 that didn't ran 20fps.

OP
OP

Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017

what's more surprising to me is that the NES vote seems to have stabilized at 60%.

apparently people here prefer the Master System to the Genesis.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
NES -> The best
SNES -> The best
N64 -> second
GameCube -> second
Wii -> worst
Wii U -> worst
Switch -> sadly this also has the worst library out of three and it's gonna change for the worse.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
what's more surprising to me is that the NES vote seems to have stabilized at 60%.

apparently people here prefer the Master System to the Genesis.

Lot of people here aren't old enough to have owned a NES and consider the games "unplayable." I've seen that one more than once here.

NES -> The best
SNES -> The best
N64 -> second
GameCube -> second
Wii -> worst
Wii U -> worst
Switch -> sadly this also has the worst library out of three and it's gonna change for the worse.

not sure I'd take the Gamecube over the OG Xbox. The third party support just wasn't there.

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
NES by far.
SNES by a much thinner margin.

Switch is the closest theyve gotten, but the third party support is mostly just stuff found elsewhere, and many major games are missing.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I feel that today where every game gets ported to everything it's a hard sell to say any platforms library is explicitly superior to another's outside exclusives

Not really when you look at how 3rd parties jumped ship after gen 4.

Even for today, the Wii U and Switch didn't get every 3rd party game.

Overall library should still be a factor to think about.

We can even look at last gen and how some 3rd party games on the Wii looked like they were generations behind PS360 games. Need for Speed the Run comes to mind.

As for the Sega debates, count me as one who doesn't think it was no contest vs Nintendo. But those gens seem like the easiest choice because Nintendo had many 3rd party exclusives.

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
At the time the Mega Drive had a better library than the SNES so I would go with the NES.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017

The PS2 had undisputably the way bigger and broader library but regarding absolutely timeless classics I think the GameCube reigns surpreme.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
not sure I'd take the Gamecube over the OG Xbox. The third party support just wasn't there.

That's debatable. Sure, GameCube was missing some important third party games like GTA or Black compared to Xbox, but it filled that void with first party games. Xbox first party lineup was seriously lacking, other than Halo, PGR, Jade Empire and Fable there wasn't much else.

Dranakin

Oct 27, 2017
3rd, 4th, and 8th are locks. You can argue a few others, but I would probably disagree.

And excluding handhelds doesn't make sense, given the investments that N and their competitors have made in this space, as well as markets outside of the USA.

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
Correct. That the SNES era has more votes than the NES is weird.

(Primarily because the Master System library is not great.)

A lot of us don't know better. I didn't until recently when I got a Mega SG and started checking out Neo Geo and PC Engine.

There's a lot of good stuff not on SNES. Games on Mega Drive usually run great.

NES didnt have any good competition in my opinion, and definitely is a win for Nintendo.

Switch votes are probably recency or folks maybe just not caring about a large amount of good games.

OP
OP

Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017
So, like, Valkyrie Profile, Tales of Destiny/Eternia? A lot of JRPGs had 3d world maps that didn't ran too well on the hardware.

Saga Frontier, Legend of Mana, Beyond the Beyond, Suikoden series, Lunar SSSC/EBC, Final Fantasy Tactics, Tactics Ogre, and a whole bunch of others.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
The 3rd and 4th. That´s it. Still a good company of course but a bad choice if you can only own 1 console starting with the N64.
Always the best 2nd purchase on the other hand and they are the king of handhelds.

Oct 24, 2019
I would say they dominated NES through N64 eras.

N64 was the last time that they had the objectively best library though.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NES for sure then barely with SNES (I preferred Genesis line up) other than that not even close since.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Who voted 4th gen but not 3rd? Nothing on the master system or 7800 was as good as Super Mario Bros. 3

Bing-Bong

Banned
Feb 1, 2019
If we talk about Nintendo home consoles, 3rd and 4th are the best gens (maybe 8th too, i always feel the switch as my always dreamed Ps2 portable for it's MASIVE variety of games); after those eras i think Nintendo's strongest point are their handheld consoles.

Mar 23, 2018
Best library first-party wise and/or exclusives, I'd argue they're untouchable once we include handheld gaming. Heck, prob without including handheld gaming, too.

In general? Third parties are more important and Nintendo hasn't had the best general catalogue since the end of the SNES.

dasu

Aug 2, 2018
Nes and Snes definitely. I don't think anyone is going to argue with those two generations.

It's hard to say with the current generation. Although the 1st party titles have been great with the Switch, they can't compensate for the loss of AAA third party games that the other consoles get.

I would say that 7th generation would have been another place where Nintendo outshined Sony and Microsoft, but the OP explicitly excluded handheld consoles, so I can't include the ridiculously strong library of the DS.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
NES, easy. They dominated the market. After that, things get hazy.

The 16 bit gen is probably one of their best, but part of that was because competition was so strong and diverse. I could never just call the SNES just flat better because there's so many amazing games on other consoles it has no answer to.

64 was dark times. Amazing exclusives, but genre diversity and overall support was the pits. The games it had were amazing though, for sure.

Each gen afterwards gets progressively better, but they haven't quite accomplished being the defacto best again since the NES. Strong competition, plenty of value, worth owning, all that stuff, sure. But being the clear-cut winner? Nah.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
NES wins
SNES wins
N64 wins
GC wins but very tight battle with PS2. Melee, Wind Waker and the best version of RE4 puts GC over the top for me.

Then they started losing with Wii/Wii U/Switch. PS3 and PS4 had both quality with 1st party and insane 3rd party depth.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Very misleading to lump wii u and switch into the same category lol. Generations be damned.

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
sorry, N64 + Game Boy Color doesn't even sniff the Playstation's farts, as far as I'm concerned.

but to each their own.

that's the only one that had me thinking. I'd say that Nintendo's def within fart sniffing territory with how bright their classics during that gen shined, but for every classic Nintendo had, Sony had thrice as many classics. Mario 64 and OoT were insanely influential, but that's only two certified classics off the 64 compared to Sony's... more than 2 lol.

Okay fair enough. If Handhelds count, Nintendo has every gen OTHER than the 5th one in the bag. But they still were more than capable of smelling them farts in the 5th gen.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Saga Frontier, Legend of Mana, Beyond the Beyond, Suikoden series, Lunar SSSC/EBC, Final Fantasy Tactics, Tactics Ogre, and a whole bunch of others.
Suikoden is a good one. I wouldn't call most of them not dated by today's standards though, except FFT which is a tactical RPG. March of the Black Queen and LUCT were originally released on the SNES.