• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

In which generations did Nintendo's console have the best library? (choose all that apply)

• 3rd (NES, Sega Master System, Atari 7800, SG-1000)

Votes: 1,281 68.6%
  • 4th (SNES, Sega Genesis / Mega Drive, Turbografx-16 / PC Engine, Neo Geo, CD-i)

Votes: 1,491 79.8%
  • 5th (N64, PlayStation, Sega Saturn, Atari Jaguar, 3DO, CD32, PC-FX)

Votes: 283 15.1%
  • 6th (GameCube, PlayStation 2, Xbox, Sega Dreamcast)

Votes: 237 12.7%
  • 7th (Wii, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360)

Votes: 163 8.7%
  • 8th (Switch / Wii U, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Ouya)

Votes: 522 27.9%
  • All of them.

Votes: 188 10.1%

• Total voters

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
Super Nintendo is the only one I'd vote for. They didn't do much that interested me on the N64, as that system was floated for me by Aki's WCW/WWF games. Loved some of their stuff on the Gamecube (Wind Waker, Metroid Prime, Pikmin), but Sony's lineup was stellar then. Wii had some good stuff that first couple of years, but then died off and Sony/MS were pretty strong and mostly consistent then. This gen has seen the best of Sony and Nintendo, so it's a bit of a toss up for new games.

I guess I could've voted for NES, but I don't care for most of the games and Nintendo put out a lot of bad stuff then.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Do 3rd party contributions count? If not then Nintendo has swept every console gen. They singlehandedly supported the Wii U for 4 years. Sony and MS aren't capable of such a feat. If 3rd party do count then basically they fell off after the SNES.
I might be crazy, but if someone just says library I assume it's the overall library.

I already gave up on a mini debate about the Switch not getting every 3rd party game.

The posts only mentioning exclusives and most picking past 3rd, 4th gen are wild.
Not sure what people think was better about the 360/PS3 than Wii.
Their libraries?

Even if you did exclusives only the Wii doesn't get the votes in a landslide, if done objectively.

Last edited:

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Voted only for the NES. While the SNES was probably the best console for general gaming of that gen, I went with the NeoGeo library for its technical superiority.

Nov 4, 2017
NES and SNES only IMO.

Anybody who said Gamecube has a heavy bias or is smoking crack. GameCube having a better library than the PS2 (which could also play the entire PS1 library) is some Trump level delusion. GC was great, but it must surely bow to The King ™.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NES, SNES and it's not even close since then.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
NES/SNES by a landslide. And they have been soundly beaten ever since.

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017
only for the 3rd (NES) you could get out of this relatively unbruised because not many people here are familiar with the other systems. SNES is already a hard contest. Mega Drive is enough to kick it down.

everything else is endless noping. nope nope nope.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Wild take.

Wii U is a really weak library

Nah, Wii U had a legit library.

Breath of the Wild
Super Mario 3D World
Mario Kart 8
DK Tropical Freeze
Pikmin 3
Bayonetta 2
The Wonderful 101
Captain Toad
Splatoon
LEGO City Undercover
Smash Bros Wii U
Wind Waker HD
Deus Ex Human Revolution Directors Cut
Rayman Legends
Mario Maker
Xenoblade Chronicles X
MH3U
NSMBU
Hyrule Warriors
Nintendoland
Pokken

Last edited:

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't say N64 has a great library of games overall but it's highs are just so good. I miss the combo with Rare at its best.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NES is the only generation in which they stomped the competition. SNES is a close call with the Genesis. And the rest, well...just no.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
All of them were great. Well except the Wii U that gen sucked.

Wii U's library actually got me into Nintendo consoles, before then I just thought Nintendo games sucked, the Wii U library actually made me go back and play the older games because the Wii U library was so strong IMO. I wouldn't have played Ocarina of Time if it wasn't for Wind Waker HD making me go back and play all the other Zelda games. Same with Mario games (I still think Galaxy series sucks lemons and 3D World is King).

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nah, Wii U had a legit library.

Breath of the Wild
Super Mario 3D World
Mario Kart 8
DK Tropical Freeze
Pikmin 3
Bayonetta 2
The Wonderful 101
Captain Toad
Splatoon
LEGO City Undercover
Smash Bros Wii U
Wind Waker HD
Deus Ex Human Revolution Directors Cut
Rayman Legends
Mario Maker
Xenoblade Chronicles X
MH3U
NSMBU
Hyrule Warriors
Nintendoland
Pokken
Lots of good games, to be sure, but the library is very small compared to competitive consoles. The sheer volume of third party games on those consoles affords them the better library as Wii U has the weakest third party suppprt of any Nintendo console.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
3rd is the only gen that takes this definitively. 4th has too many good competitors, but you could make a very arguable case for SNES. The gens after I don't get. Zelda and Mario don't make a console for me as good as they are. Ocarina was my favorite game in the 5th gen, but I would have been just as happy or even happier never having played it as long as I had the entire PSone library to pick from.

Arion

Oct 26, 2017
SNES was the last time Nintendo had the competition outclassed. But since then the competition has been tight.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
SNES was the last time Nintendo had the competition outclassed. But since then the competition has been tight.

i could understand having a "preference" in the 16-bit era, but they most certainly did not "outclass" other platforms.

NES is the only generation in which they stomped the competition. SNES is a close call with the Genesis. And the rest, well...just no.

I'd say it's a close call with the Turbografx and Neo-Geo as well but that's just me.

Fahdi

Jun 5, 2018
Thread is biased.

Where's the "none" option? Nintendo never appealed to me outside of Zelda.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
It blew the competition out of the water with the NES and SNES.

N64 didn't hold a candle to PS1, Gamecube had no where near the breadth of quality games as the PS2, Wii had interesting games, but the 360 and PS3 destroyed it.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
Lmao, not since the DS arguably their last great console since the SNES and I love my N64 and GameCube. But SNES and DS is peak Nintendo

Dec 2, 2017
I had an amazing time with the Wii U, some of my favourite gaming years. But thinking purely in terms of library, I couldn't pull the trigger over PS4. Switch still has a lot of work to do for me as someone who already had its best games on Wii U. I haven't felt compelled to buy one yet, especially with Metroid punted off into the ether. But ask again in 2 or 3 years, and I might feel differently.

NES and SNES and objective slam dunks. I like the Genesis and Turbografx/PC Engine a ton, but anyone voting for those is kidding themselves. Every 3rd party dev under the sun who really mattered was putting their A material on Nintendo platforms. The only meaningful exception was EA's football and hockey games.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
NES and SNES and objective slam dunks. I like the Genesis and Turbografx/PC Engine a ton, but anyone voting for those is kidding themselves. Every 3rd party dev under the sun who really mattered was putting their A material on Nintendo platforms. The only meaningful exception was EA's football and hockey games.

lmao objective slam dunks-- give me a fucking beak.

Kirksplosion

Aug 21, 2018
NES and SNES for certain.

You could make an argument for the Switch/Wii U combo this generation, but I like the PS4's catalogue better.

The rest, though? Nah.

Dec 2, 2017
lmao objective slam dunks-- give me a fucking beak.
Dude. My user name and avatar are literally from a Sega Master system game. I have nothing but reverence for first party Sega. I might put the Dreamcast up there as the best time to be a gamer ever.

But there's just no way they were beating the assembled might of prime Konami, prime Capcom, 16-bit square - heck almost every Japanese 3rd party because of Nintendo exclusivity contracts - by any reasonable rubric.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Nes and snes without the shadow of a doubt.

N64 and switch for some people probably.

Gamecube for RE fans.

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
Nintendo produces by far the most games I'm interested in each gen. That said, it only had a better library for all audiences Gens 3 and 4. 5 & 6 would go to Sony, 7 to MS, and 8 back to Sony

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
NES Era they really had the best. SNES was a tie with megadrive. Every time after that, theyve been beat like an old rug lol.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
NES and SNES and that's it. The third party support fell off a cliff and only a few were able to climb back up until now. Even if you love your N64 and GC and Wii, there's no way you can objectively say those had better libraries.

MoogleWizard

Oct 27, 2017
4, 6 and 8 hands down. GC and Wii U might have smaller libraries than the competition but I don't play that many games and I'm a very picky "quality over quantity" person.

iconoclast

Dec 15, 2017
Just the NES, none of the others come close.

If you just want to look at exclusives, then you could make an argument for the Switch+Wii U too. PS4 has very few worthwhile games that aren't available on PC, and backwards compatibility is the only reason to own an Xbone.

Soneji

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
NES, SNES, N64 and Switch are the ones with better/equal to libraries relative to their competitors.

Deleted member 59562

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
China
5th and 6th were competitive, but only in retrospect, 7th was a blowout with the rise of indie games and steam while wii ware and dsi ware were utter failures, 3rd and 4th were blowouts for Nintendo, 4th especially in retrospect, and 8th is a toss-up between nintendo and sony, where multiplat quality and exclusive cinematic/novel storytelling favors sony, and sheer game quality (and Nintendo's incredible, unprecedented track record as a publisher) place it in a very close second

RossoneR

Oct 28, 2017
Do 3rd party contributions count? If not then Nintendo has swept every console gen. They singlehandedly supported the Wii U for 4 years. Sony and MS aren't capable of such a feat. If 3rd party do count then basically they fell off after the SNES.
Supported to what cause? If u think sony cant sell 15 M consoles based on gt, uncharted, god of war, ratchet, soulsborne...or whatever they d produce u re delusional. Same for ms, they can get to 15M based on their ips. And also wiiu had some third party support just like most N platforms. Its not like they had Only 1p games.
Also ps3 had more 80 and 90+ exclusives than almost 360 and wii combined. So wii didnt swept anything. Same for gc, same for n64, same for switch.