• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
México
At home, I have a laptop and a 27" monitor. My room is kinda small, and my desk doesn't have enough room for two monitors, so I mainly use a single monitor (I don't like to use both the 27" and laptop monitor at the same time... too small).

Now, Windows has a great feature with Aero Snap to easily divide windows in two, three or even four by dragging windows to the edge of the screen (or with some keyboard combinations). It works extremely well (one of Window's best features). At my job I have two 24" monitors, and it is great for productivity. But I can't currently use two monitors at home.

Now that Microsoft revealed the Surface Neo, they are actually embracing the hinge in the middle so it acts as two separate monitors. Is there a way to add some sort of virtual divider/hinge in the middle of my 27" so the OS detects each side as a separate monitor? That way I could use Aero Snap independently in each side of the virtual divider/hinge.

Just imagine that the image below is a 27" monitor with a virtual divider/hinge in the middle.

qZHprWo.png

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure why you need to do that? If you want things side by side, snap works. if you want to group various applications, maybe try using the virtual desktop feature and then switching using Windows + Tab?

OP
OP
FernandoRocker
Oct 25, 2017
México

Vapelord

Oct 27, 2017
Montreal
Easiest is if your using two windows just use windows key + left arrow for one and windows key + right arrow for the other.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure about actually treating one monitor as two, but if you're just looking for a more powerful/flexible version of Snap, there are other ways to accomplish that. I use Divvy, which allows for custom keyboard shortcuts that resize the active window to whatever size + position you want, based on a grid.

There are a number of similar utilities; all work a bit differently. I use a single global shortcut to bring up Divvy, then have a bunch of single-key shortcuts to resize to the left 1/3rd of the screen, right 1/4, etc.