• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
Piranha Plant was brilliant. What a weird fuckin character to put in

I honestly couldn't care less about the Pokémon though. Just seems obligatory to stick in a starter from the most recent gen. Whatever

Parshias

Oct 25, 2017
I fucking love Piranha Plant.

While all the nerds are coming up with rules and arguing over slots and move sets, Sakurai is just like, "Why don't we make a character out of a potted plant? Or a yoga instructor? Or we could make a dog team up with a disembodied hand holding a light gun!"

Fuck yeah.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
13.23_lucifer_scream_by_faramaiofnerdwoodforest.gif

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
So dumb. Mario and Pokemon didn't need another rep. Especially not the two we got.

Mario has 9 reps now.

Pokemon has 8.

Fire Emblem only has 7.

So dumb. We better get a Three House character as DLC. Fire Emblem deserves to at least tie Pokemon.
lol Fire Emblem "deserves" to tie the two best selling game franchises and the highest grossing IP of all time

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I kind of like Piranha Plant for the "sure why the fuck not" vibe, but getting that over a random obscure retro character or something that would fill the same role is a bummer.

In Smash 4 I would have laughed, but with the really limited newcomer count this time around I just can't get into it.

Deleted member 18742

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So dumb. Mario and Pokemon didn't need another rep. Especially not the two we got.

Mario has 9 reps now.

Pokemon has 8.

Fire Emblem only has 7.

So dumb. We better get a Three House character as DLC. Fire Emblem deserves to at least tie Pokemon.
We dont need anymore FE characters unless its pre Awakening and not a sword user.

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
Piranha Plant is probably the best reveal of the three. Very underwhelmed by the other two.... not so much because they're "bad" but I would expect the final pieces of the roster to have more bang or something.

That said, I'm obviously very excited about the game and I am ready.

Anubis

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The OP about Piranha plant seemed confusing as if those who didn't pre order the game ages ago weren't eligible.

B. Spaceman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Spain
I'm not angry or anything, but Nintendo needs to understand their fans better because if they thought it was a good idea to reveal these characters last...

V_ac

Avenger
Jul 2, 2018
Ken & Incineroar were expected but look pretty good, & Ken is pretty unique as far as echoes. Piranha Plant was a huge surprise, though.

Still sad about no Spring Man or Rex, even as DLC, but I'll live.
I wouldn't say Rex is dead as DLC. We've had Mii Costumes for fighters before.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
So how do we get Pirahna Plant exactly? I already pre-ordered it on Amazon. Does the code come with the game, or do we have to go to a Nintendo website?
You can register a physical game for Gold Coins in MyNintendo by going to the options for it on the Switch. Do that and you get the Piranha Plant.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Yum yum yum, this crow is delicious.

On the plus side, this means my John InCenaroar cosplay is now officially in the works. On the other hand, ugh.

At least Adventure mode looks cool, but man, this direct was just a million punches to the gut.

Also calling it now, the last 4 dlc fighters will be the Fire Emblem: TH's lord, Pokemon Gen 8's grass starter, Geno, and Banjo.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
None of the newcomers is worth the buying the game for. Simon and Richter are nice but I don't want to buy the game just for them. I'll wait for a good DLC.

I'm happy with my 3DS Smash right now. It has Dpad.

Palazzo

Oct 25, 2017
No problem with Ken and Incineroar being in the game at all, or the final amount of newcomers, but I do kind of wish they had reordered them - would have been more exciting to end on K. Rool or Simon + Richter.

Piranha Plant is absolutely awesome. Can't believe Sakurai made a Mario fodder enemy look like an appealing playable character, the madman.

Jan 29, 2018
Piranha Plant is rad. Out of nowhere characters are great.

Did they actually confirm 5 DLC characters or are people just assuming?

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I haven't been in the Smash threads for awhile, what's "Box theory"?

Piranha Plant is in addition to the five unknown season pass fighters, right?

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I wouldn't say Rex is dead as DLC. We've had Mii Costumes for fighters before.
I thought the same thing about the Inklings & King K. Rool back in Smash Wii U, but........ ;_; Rex's Mii Costume was even mentioned as a consolation prize due to him being too new (unless I misheard the Direct).

SpinlyLimbs

Banned
Feb 1, 2018
Disappointing beyond measure. A FUCKING PLANT and the most boring character from the most boring fighting game out there along with a boring Pokemon.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
God I'm so happy with Nintendo right now. All these garbage characters thrown around like Isaac and Geno and Sakurai says fuck that and adds a literal plant.

Best timeline.

jorgeobamajr

Oct 25, 2017
Piranha plant might have sold me on actually buying the game instead of just talking about it. The reveal was also freaking perfect

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
The season pass is in the perfect price range for me to pick it up. The new adventure mode looks cool as well.

I'm happy with the roster for the game so far and they killed a lot of memes.