• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018

I have absolutely no familiarity with this team nor have I even heard of them but this came across in my youtube recommendations and I couldn't find a thread so I thought I would share it. They somehow absolutely nailed that Adventure era jank/look just in HD. I could almost feel myself playing it all the UI elements and controls seem the same. The polish here rivals most of Sonic Teams recent 3D output and aside from a few notable glitches, several too detail cluttered areas, and random patches of so-so level design it hits my Adventure nostalgia hard.

Edit:

@op trailer from them as well shows it's got 2P battle modes as well.

Last edited:

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
To me this looks very much like what I would have expected out of it is Sega continued developing Sonic games based on the Sonic 06 tech. Using semi-realistic physics systems and various other flow breakers in the the level design. However, considering this is not from Sega itself, it is still pretty impressive.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
This honestly looks like what many 3D Sonic fans want. Maybe I'm wrong about that assesment, but it really does look that way to me.

Sega should hire that team. They hired fans of the franchise for Mania, right? Do that again.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
To me this looks very much like what I would have expected out of it is Sega continued developing Sonic games based on the Sonic 06 tech. Using semi-realistic physics systems and various other flow breakers in the the level design. However, considering this is not from Sega itself, it is still pretty impressive.
I almost want to say this is from the same people who did the Sonic 06 demo remake.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
@op trailer from them as well shows it's got 2P battle modes as well.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
... that's just a modded SA2 level.

The level was even called White Jungle from what I remember lol.

Oct 25, 2017
"We cannot allow Eggman to possess the Emerald!"

-Sonic the Hedgehog

Looks impressive? Very fan-made, but impressive non-the-less. It's a sad day when fans are cobbling together more interesting toys than anything Sonic Team has put out in the last 6 years.

OP
OP
Bomblord

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Ugh. More unreal engine garbage dumps. Its basically a meme now.

In its defense it's not just arbitrarily thrown together stock assets like that old Mario/Zelda thing. At least if it is they're done in a way that I couldn't immediately tell. The lighting is a bit too dark in areas but I can forgive that. Art style is right in line with Adventure although I have a feeling that some of the models may have been ripped from an official game and touched up. If not it's even more impressive they managed to make something that looks like that.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
It looks very solid and the mechanics seem sound, but I think it was probably a mistake to port over an Adventure 2-style stage into a fan game with boost mechanics. Whenever they hit a wall and had to awkwardly skid under gaps just looked awkward (to be fair it looked awkward in the official games, too)

Just always impresses me how all-out Sonic fans go

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
In its defense it's not just arbitrarily thrown together stock assets like that old Mario/Zelda thing. At least if it is they're done in a way that I couldn't immediately tell. The lighting is a bit too dark in areas but I can forgive that. Art style is right in line with Adventure although I have a feeling that some of the models may have been ripped from an official game and touched up. If not it's even more impressive they managed to make something that looks like that.

OP
OP
Bomblord

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018

I am familiar with white jungle in Adventure 2. Remaking the general layout of the stage doesn't mean they ripped the stage and imported it into Unreal Engine as it's not a 1 to 1 match. It could be anything from touched up individual models to being recreated from scratch. There's 2 other stages in the video that are not white jungle.

Last edited:

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I can see the effort here honestly.

....I need to play Spark the Electric Jester 2.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

That's the point. Even Shadow shows up at the end. They made a whole story around it for this demo.

Anyway, I think it looks impressive, but I was hoping it was trying to replicate Adventure era physics and mechanics without the Boost era stuff, so that's a little disappointing. Also, climbing that giant tree was... something. The part of Adventure games to have anything close to that kind of platforming is the Knuckles/Rouge stages, but those are meant to be open areas because you're hunting for pieces of the Master Emerald or some other special items to complete the level. The player cut past them falling down the tree, so I wonder if you would have fallen all the way to the bottom or a "death zone" was placed at a certain height the more you climbed. Either way, not a fan of that part. No comment on the voice acting other than I appreciate the effort. XD

OP
OP
Bomblord

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
The level design looks a little suspect, but I love the tone of what's on show here.

What really bugged me was there are several spots where they jump and boost to get to some random platform I couldn't even see. The developer obviously knows that's what to do there but there's no way a random player could without an annoying amount of trial and error.

VinylCassette64

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I dunno why a SA2 level needs the boost mechanic added, just either make a boost game or an Adventure style game.

Honestly, this is a key component of a broader complaint I've had with several of these more prolific 3D Sonic fan engines / proof of concepts. There are way too many 3D Sonic fangame engines that have linear fast-paced mechanics, like the boost, the slide, and the skydive; but place them in a platforming setting that by default requires slower movement and mechanics to work that those mechanics aren't built for. It's most egregious with sandbox stages (which are far too large for something that's as extreme in structure and simple in scope as the Boost gameplay), but even with slower linear stages like the remade White Jungle stage, you can see how none of the three mechanics I just listed aren't designed in mind with the platforming situations that stage carries.

Clearly a lot of work has gone into this project, esp. in terms of structuring it to actually feel like the 2000s era Sonic game in terms of layout and presentation, which I do commend, but this project is not an exception to the rule in regards to the gameplay criticism I just described.

The video has three stages. The first level is a White Jungle stage, but the other two levels are original.

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
If the microphone quality for the voice acting was better and it didn't use those Ori songs, I'd legit think it was a long lost Sonic game.

Pretty impressive for a fan game. I'm used to the 3D Sonic fangames being engine showcases with a single test area mostly. But this has cutscenes and actual levels. (and I like boost Sonic)

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Considering most 3D Sonic fangames are satisfied with slapping Sonic into a featureless void or Green Hill Zone and calling it a day, I think what's on display here is really impressive even if it's obviously quite janky. I really love the overall feel of it. This is what I would love to see from future 3D Sonic games, an adventurous tone without devolving into Saturday morning cartoon silliness and cutscenes that don't consist almost entirely of characters standing around talking at each other.

Oct 27, 2017
Can't see shit in that level. "Not instantly readable" is not what you want in a sonic stage. I think it would be much better if they changed the illumination and color palette to make it clearer to see what's going on

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
It's everything I care about sonic games after SA . Got to go fast! Is a horrible concept

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
Why can't Sega make a Sonic game like this instead of the boring boost formula games they keep making? The Adventure series hit the balance between exploration, combat, and speed so well and then they turned it into a "hold forward" simulator after 06

Oct 27, 2017
I've said it many times, but Amusement Vision should have been allowed to make a 3D Sonic game. Between F-Zero GX, Monkey Ball, and the JSRF they literally had all the experience and expertise needed to make one

Oct 29, 2017
Sweet Jesus! That could pass for an actual retail game!

Hard to believe that it's fan made! An incredible amount of work has gone into this!

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've said it many times, but Amusement Vision should have been allowed to make a 3D Sonic game. Between F-Zero GX, Monkey Ball, and the JSRF they literally had all the experience and expertise needed to make one
They are Ryu Ga Gotoku Studios now. JSR was mase by Smilebit that also got merged into RGG Studios.

On topic, that level design is abysmal

Oct 25, 2017
There's a lot of Sonic fan game stuff that looks like this, to be honest. This just has more effects slapped on I guess.

Gotta be honest I'm not really impressed with this.

This looks way more interesting as a framework.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
This honestly looks like what many 3D Sonic fans want. Maybe I'm wrong about that assesment, but it really does look that way to me.

Sega should hire that team. They hired fans of the franchise for Mania, right? Do that again.
The fans they hired for Mania also demonstrated they could release a finished commercial product before they were given Mania, Sega didnt pluck em simply cus they put out a fangame demo

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can appreciate the effort that went into this, but the questionable level design (so many fences that need to be slid under but are also so poorly placed that it's impossible to get much speed up to slide under them without looking super awkward) and the use of mechanics like a momentum-killing homing attack and boost kinda makes a really bad impression.

Still, it's amazing how much the Sonic fangame community is thriving, it's practically the most prolific fangame community by far.

Ryu bogard

Nov 23, 2017
Watching this reminds me how terrible playing SA2 was. The only thing good about SA series is the music.

Synohan

Oct 25, 2017
There is too much going on and the terrain is too rough for modern boost sonic. That looks like an absolute pain to navigate through. White Jungle was way too claustrophobic. All those boost pads are awful as well. The camera also seems to have issues, it shakes a lot. I think if they drop the boost formula and focus on bigger levels, they could have something going here. Not too big though, Tree Palace gets too wide at parts, but it's a good start.

Tree Palace looked really nice.

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
The level design isn't especially good but the way they integrate the story with the stages is very impressive. Another step for Sonic fangames. Perhaps, one day we will get a full 3d game with an actual story.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I still think Sonics core mechanics don't translate to 3D well.
I think the more physics-focused fangame stuff + heavy emphasis on manual camera control (ideally with a mouse) are the most fun, even when it's just a demo map - fucking around with momentum physics and mastering them is incredibly satisfying. Sonic Utopia is arguably too open, but it's also a fantastic sandbox for fooling around with momentum physics - even the homing attack is reworked into a short-ranged tool to easily bounce off enemies while maintaining momentum, and it's the best take on the homing attack ever. The shit you can do in that demo is far more impressive than anything you can do in official 3D Sonic games:

There's a reason why Tribes exploded back in the day when the 'skiiing' bug in the first game became so popular. High-speed momentum mechanics are fun, and people enjoy using them.

I usually lose interest when people try to emulate the Adventures or the Boost Formula, because the former never fucking worked, and the latter is shallow as a kiddie pool, there's little depth to it.

I want to see a 3D game that recreates the feel of the opening to Sonic CD without relying on "automated" mechanics. Utopia honestly comes the closest, but I also feel that momentum physics + parkour mechanics that are reliant on momentum would be the closest match. Lost World had the right idea for some of its mechanics, but they needed serious refinement.

The level design isn't especially good but the way they integrate the story with the stages is very impressive. Another step for Sonic fangames. Perhaps, one day we will get a full 3d game with an actual story.
Well, depends on whether you mean "a full game with cutscenes throughout" or just "a story with a beginning, a journey, and an end". Because Sonic Robo Blast 2 has the latter, mainly with a proper opening cutscene will full dialogue and establishing the plot and an ending where Eggman's latest plan is foiled.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
it looks good visually but the gameplay and level design is......i'm sorry to say this....ehhhh....

Deleted member 25140

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It is too slow for Sonic and yet is too fast for its open structure. The Level design is a complete mess as well and does not communicate well with the player where to go next. Which is extremely important in an arcade platformer such as Sonic.
It's literally an engine test level. That's why I said gameplay mechanics. This isn't level design.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
This looks as terrible as every non-2D pixel art Sonic game.

I'll never understand how anyone could enjoy the 3D games, even the Adventure and Generations games were poor, just best of a bad bunch. They completely miss what made the original Genesis games so good, which had precision platforming at speed and great level design. The 3D games are mostly on rails with auto lock on and limited control.

Last edited: