• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bagged milk

• Is the best

Votes: 45 26.8%
  • Thank you for being the voice of reason on this, India and Canada

Votes: 70 41.7%
  • Who would hate on bagged milk?

Votes: 53 31.5%

• Total voters

JealousKenny

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
If bagged milk is so great why dont they bag other drinks as well? Is there bagged apple or orange juice?

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
For confused Americans: Canada also sells milk in those cardboard-like cartons. It's just that bagged milk is more popular and more prevalent, and also seems to be more cost effective and easier overall.

I sometimes get chocolate milk in medium sized cartons, and those small ones can be gotten at certain restaurants or in schools.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
We have boxed wine, which has plastic bags of wine inside of it.

Pop is sold in cans all over the world, and plastic bottles or glass bottles (which we don't get here, or I don't see...anymore).

RionaaM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not proper bagged milk from Canada, at least.

It's very simple, really: You buy a bag from the grocery or convenience store and it usually has three pouches (or milk bags) inside. You keep two of them in the fridge and put one into a plastic container that holds it upright, and snip a small amount of one of the top corners off so that you can pour it. The container has a handle to help you pour and we also have these handy slicers.

Works like a dream

They're cheaper to make and less wasteful, and no.

Z6mmNIF.jpg
Having to explain this baffles my mind. I've been drinking milk like this every day of my life (not on its own, it's always mixed with tea or coffee), so finding out that people don't know about this feels incredibly weird to me.

blue_whale

Nov 1, 2017
I distinctively remember getting bagged milk in my school cafeteria when I lived in Louisiana (Baton Rouge) so bagged milk manufactory must exist in the US.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I can't drink milk anymore so I don't have an opinion on all this, but after seeing the workers in my college cafeteria spill an entire bag of milk numerous times when refilling the milk dispenser I have to question how big the environmental benefits are.

Gaming_Groove

Apr 4, 2018
They used to serve bagged milk in Elementary schools here in Texas
Same here in FL...at least for a little while. I seem to recall getting individual size plastic bags/pouches of milk from about kindergarten until 3rd grade or so in the early 90's, then they switched back to little paper cartons. I do remember kids playing with the bags a lot and making messes with them, so I always assumed that was the reason they went away.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Carrying/transporting things in bags just seems weird to me anyway, because bags ... don't hold their shape. It's like how cereal is all in bags, but then around the bags, are boxes (for all but the lowest level bargain cereals).

How is bagged milk displayed at the super market? Is it like a bunch of bags laying on top of each other, or stacked in a way to keep them from falling out? Or, is it in a box, and you take it out of the box to bring it home?

0DcMqRY.png

Interesting. They're like frozen turkeys.

Question for those in on the bag game:

Does it weird you out or skeeve you out to buy the bag on the bottom level? I know it shouldn't, but when I buy things that lay down like that at the super market, the one on the bottom is always slightly skeevier than all of the others... and I'll reach into the back to get one that's on top rather than the bottom, even if it's less convenient.

You can use your own reusable containers at home. Pour the milk out of the bag into the jug.

Does Canada people do this with other liquids not changed/contaminated once its opened, like say, orange juice?

Last edited:

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
They're cheaper to make and less wasteful, and no.

Z6mmNIF.jpg

So, when you're finished, do you fold up the top part of it or anything, or just kinda leave it open? Or, do you have like clothes pins, "chip clips," or anything specific for milk?

Because if not I have a line of products I want to make. It'll basically be a sealing system in the shape of, like, TinkerBelle, and it'll be called "The Dairy Fairy," and it'll seal up your milk for you when you're done.

I imagine I could spin this into a trillion dollar idea, if only the population of Canada was larger than California.

Deleted member 20603

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think it is a solid idea. I've dropped & spilled soda, beer, juice and milk that were in cans and jugs so I can't imagine bags being any worse, logistically. You'd just have to place them strategically in grocery carts or otherwise so they don't get pinched or punctured.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
Just use jugs. Why are you countries weird.

Better than that hyper-pasturized nonsense France does, I guess.

They're starting to remarket UHT milk here in Canada, too, under the guise of 'extra filtration' and long life...and double the price of regular milk.

I haven't tried it yet but the tetra-packed shelf stable high-temp pasteurized milk they sold a few years back tasted terrible.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
I buy 2 packs a week

It takes less space, uses way way way less materials and is ecologically responsible

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
They're starting to remarket UHT milk here in Canada, too, under the guise of 'extra filtration' and long life...and double the price of regular milk.

I haven't tried it yet but the tetra-packed shelf stable high-temp pasteurized milk they sold a few years back tasted terrible.
I legit could barely stomach cereal while I was in France.

Stuff is... euhg

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
As a Canadian, I approve of this thread.

One caveat to be weary of that it is not a nation wide occurrence. As someone who moved from Ontario to Newfoundland, my only options are cartons and the recycling stations are sparse here. It becomes very wasteful if you do not have access to private transportation to take to you to an aforementioned recycling station.

Earthstrike

Oct 28, 2017
Carrying/transporting things in bags just seems weird to me anyway, because bags ... don't hold their shape. It's like how cereal is all in bags, but then around the bags, are boxes (for all but the lowest level bargain cereals).

How is bagged milk displayed at the super market? Is it like a bunch of bags laying on top of each other, or stacked in a way to keep them from falling out? Or, is it in a box, and you take it out of the box to bring it home?

0DcMqRY.png

Interesting. They're like frozen turkeys.

Question for those in on the bag game:

Does it weird you out or skeeve you out to buy the bag on the bottom level? I know it shouldn't, but when I buy things that lay down like that at the super market, the one on the bottom is always slightly skeevier than all of the others... and I'll reach into the back to get one that's on top rather than the bottom, even if it's less convenient.

Does Canada people do this with other liquids not changed/contaminated once its opened, like say, orange juice?

Not all stores put the milk bags at the bottom. Some do. Sometimes one of the bags spills milk on the other bags and it's gross, but other than that there's no real skeeviness.

SoundCheck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Wait, what? I always thought that was available worldwide. We have them in Brazil, but it is it is uncomfortable to put in a pot so almost nobody buys.

Nose Master

Oct 27, 2017
Bagged milk is convenient. You just buy one pitcher / holder thing and then the bags. You can shove about a thousand of those bags in a recycling/garbage bin, but a plastic milk carton takes up a ton of room.