• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RadicalR

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure about religion in India, but most religious texts have things similar or worse:

"I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent." (1 Timothy 2:12)

"Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord." (Ephesians 5:22)

A lot of people leave off the second part of Ephesians. It also says, "Husband, love your wives." Ephesians 5:25

I want to say there is a quote in the New Testament that supercedes Timothy, but I'm not sure.

Cocaloch

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Where the Fenians Sleep
I'm not saying the subcontinent doesn't have problems because it obviously does, but a lot of the framing and discourse on this becomes very racist very fast. For some reason this board tends to be relatively much more okay with racism directed towards brown people.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
"Out of China's population of 1.4 billion, there are nearly 34 million more males than females — the equivalent of almost the entire population of California, or Poland, who will never find wives and only rarely have sex. China's official one-child policy, in effect from 1979 to 2015, was a huge factor in creating this imbalance, as millions of couples were determined that their child should be a son.

India, a country that has a deeply held preference for sons and male heirs, has an excess of 37 million males, according to its most recent census. The number of newborn female babies compared with males has continued to plummet, even as the country grows more developed and prosperous. The imbalance creates a surplus of bachelors and exacerbates human trafficking, both for brides and, possibly, prostitution. Officials attribute this to the advent of sex-selective technology in the last 30 years, which is now banned but still in widespread practice.

In the two countries, 50 million excess males are under age 20."

Oh wow!! This is going to turn into a complete nightmare (well a worse nightmare) for women/young girls. :(

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
It has absolutely nothing to do with the religion, trust me. It's a cultural/societal issue.
I wouldn't say it has nothing to do with religion when religion is very much of the culture and society of a region if it's prevalent. I would say even if religion doesn't exist you'd most probably still have these sorts of problems because you have to do is look at communist china or any communist society that was heavily anti-religion.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol lumping in arab countries with india and blaming this on religion (with the implication clearly being shitting on islam with the mention of middle east states) even though the hindu religion is actually pretty progressive when it comes to sex.

on topic, this is pretty sickening and yet im not all that surprised. let's see what modi does about this. you cant just focus on economy and leave all social issues behind. especially after what happened in delhi a few years ago.

Cocaloch

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Where the Fenians Sleep
LOL what are you talking about?

Rape and sexual assault is generally far more prevalent in Africa and India than the Middle East. This has nothing to do with the Middle East. Why do some of you nutcases always conflate Asia and the Middle East. It's bizarre. This also has nothing to do with religion. It's Indian culture.

Only two countries even practice female infanticide. And India is ranked the number 1 most dangerous country in the world for females, and India is generally considered the rape capital of the world by many. Although some African countries also have a high number of rapes per year.

The difference between India and the rest of the world is, this is a community thing. While other countries in Africa also have prevalent sexual assault, in India it seems to be a community thing. In this case, even the parents of the would be sexual assaulters joined in.

Most of the Middle East is in Asia.....

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
This is only going to worsen as the gender population gap grows. There are 37 million more men than women in a country that has favored males due to the caste system. That is a gap that has never been seen before in human history.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/grap...any-men/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.4d126864c824

I would contend this assertion. As someone who spent nearly a decade and a half in that country, I can tell you that caste system is an umbrella plague for the population and is a somewhat separate issue from the reason for grotesque population imbalance. India, much rest of the world is a thoroughly patriarchal country. Practical effects could be best seen in the practice of dowry. Essentially, for some, especially the poorer ones, this was a focal point given women did not have access to the same opportunities as men and an unmarried woman was seen as a burden or an anomaly. Furthermore, the caste of people that have been responsible for farming for decades if not centuries in india preferred boys to girls due to (and in addition to the aforementioned points) their physicality that would be required of them to help their parents (born out of the cultural norm of accepted gender roles).

The caste system on the other hand divides people regardless of their gender. I do not know how things have evolved over the last decade in india but where I went to school, there were no preferential treatment or discrimination based on gender. To my knowledge a large part of country (by way of population) has been moving in the more progressive direction. The issue is that there has always been a monumental, absolutely monumental cultural gap between the rural and urban populous. These are essentially the deep deep red neck bigoted fucks of india who politicians placate by preaching ever more nationalistic, religious (hindutva) and misogynistic messages and now we are almost at the crisis point.

VikingJoseph

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not saying the subcontinent doesn't have problems because it obviously does, but a lot of the framing and discourse on this becomes very racist very fast. For some reason this board tends to be relatively much more okay with racism directed towards brown people.
As progressive as most of this board claims to be, any thread that involves places like China, the Middle East, and India is going to be filled with gross generalizations, stereotypes, and lovely statements like "Fuck India".

The cliche of the "Enlightened West" versus the "Savage Orient" is alive and well among liberals and conservatives alike.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Real talk what is up with India and rape (I know all countries suffer this problem, so don't jump down my throat. I am telling you preemptively this is not a question hiding racism)? What am I missing? Because that story in July about 30 girls raped and tortured, or the woman on the bus who they brutalized and ripped her intestines out. What the fuck is going on over there?

The disparity between the populatin of genders is horrifying but China suffers a similar problem with the infanticide of young girls, yet not the same rape problem.

But it does make the real issues self-sustaining, that being an aggressive caste system and a cultural indifference towards rape and women. Add in overpopulation, awful income, no education and years upon years of colonial occupation and famines.

Also, while Religion isn't a major cause, the government encourages a very particular militant view of Hindusim that has certainly added to targeted rapes of muslims minorities. You knwo the sort of thing, they ignore parts of hinduism saying rape is wrong and focus on out of context parts to justify it, that sort of thing.

Cocaloch

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Where the Fenians Sleep
I wouldn't say it has nothing to do with religion when religion is very much of the culture and society of a region if it's prevalent. I would say even if religion doesn't exist you'd most probably still have these sorts of problems because you have to do is look at communist china or any communist society that was heavily anti-religion.

The problem is when people try to essentialize bad stuff to religion for vague reasons. See this thread where people seem to be assuming that India is a monoreligious community to make these claims. That requires a pretty intense disregard for reality.

Oct 28, 2017
A lot of people leave off the second part of Ephesians. It also says, "Husband, love your wives." Ephesians 5:25

I want to say there is a quote in the New Testament that supercedes Timothy, but I'm not sure.

What does it matter if it says to love your wife if it is telling the wife to submit to her husband????

Sep 28, 2018

Religion, like any ideology, can be used to control and brainwash people into doing terrible things... Same as nationalism. But I don't think it's BECAUSE of the religion that India has a rape problem. I'd say it is the societal norm of 'othering', like you're suggesting, to a degree that they regard certain people as lesser.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Real talk what is up with India and rape (I know all countries suffer this problem, so don't jump down my throat. I am telling you preemptively this is not a question hiding racism)? What am I missing? Because that story in July about 30 girls raped and tortured, or the woman on the bus who they brutalized and ripped her intestines out. What the fuck is going on over there?
You need to look way back historically.

As I mentioned above, if a certain gender is considered disposable, as seen via widespread gendercide, which is centuries old, such cultural attitudes about the worth and dignity of those in the female gender (babies, girls, women all are affected here) will create a callousness.

Rape is everywhere obviously. But the issue is the not just the lack of basic protections, but sufficient penalties on perps.

Fruit&Nut

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Mar 16, 2018
Also, while Religion isn't a major cause, the government encourages a very particular militant view of Hindusim that has certainly added to targeted rapes of muslims minorities. You knwo the sort of thing, they ignore parts of hinduism saying rape is wrong and focus on out of context parts to justify it, that sort of thing.

Yeah, India does a have problem with its society encouraging and celebrating the rape of minority women.

Remember the leader of India, Modi, encouraged Mobs to commit violence in his homestate that lead to the rape of up 100,000 Muslim women.

The Indian people rewarded Modi by making him their leader. The Indian Diaspora, western Indians, also treat Modi as a hero, so its not an issue of affluence or education. I mean when as a society you encourage sexual violence there are bad outcomes. Pretty warped culture, tbh.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, India does a have problem with its society encouraging and celebrating the rape of minority women.

Remember the leader of India, Modi, encouraged Mobs to commit violence in his homestate that lead to the rape of up 100,000 Muslim women.

The Indian people rewarded Modi by making him their leader. The Indian Diaspora, western Indians, also treat Modi as a hero, so its not an issue of affluence or education. Pretty warped culture, tbh.
This is a garbage and bigoted post.

I honestly don't even know if more women are raped than in the United States (we have a huge problem with rape here). It is impossible to say because while the stats say that America has more rape (at least from the first site I googled), it is a hard thing to measure because a lot of women don't come forward and I have no idea how accurate it is in either country. If we are honest its not like most of us have any clue or what India is actually like.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
This is a garbage and bigoted post.

I honestly don't even know if more women are raped than in the United States (we have a huge problem with rape here). It is impossible to say because while the stats say that America has more rape (at least from the first site I googled), it is a hard thing to measure because a lot of women don't come forward and I have no idea how accurate it is in either country. If we are honest its not like most of us have any clue or what India is actually like.

Edited: I made a mistake and I apoligise for the bit I'm editing out here.

And while the statistics are never accurate, the percentage of confirmed child brides alone in india is much higher than the percentage of people sexually assaulted in the US. 27% of Indian women are consumated with before the age of 18.

Rape is a massive problem in the US, no one has any doubt about that, but in a comparison they are not even close. India is far worse.

Last edited:

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India

Lets remember India leader himself is war criminal who lead mobs of Hindu fanatics to kill tens of thousands of innocent Muslims and rape over a 100,000 women.

He lead mobs in the 90s that raped over 100,000 women in India.

Are you ever going to provide a source for the bolded part or are you just going to keep peddling your bullshit in every single India thread?

Modi wasn't even born when the Partition happened. Consider reading a book.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Are you ever going to provide a source for the bolded part or are you just going to keep peddling your bullshit in every single India thread?

You're right, I misread that guys post (ie:skimmed over it) so I apoligise for that.

Oct 27, 2017
Middle East and some parts of Asia are 800 years behind thanks to religions.
You are banned but you aren't the only one thinking this as far as I have seen.

The Middle East and Asia + Africa are not 800 years behind due to religion. Infact it is Europe that turned them into what they are right now. Go read about colonies WW1 and the European countries involvement (UK, Germany and France along with others).

It is easy to blame everything on religion but it isn't accurate in most cases.

Fruit&Nut

Banned
Mar 16, 2018

Are you seriously this ignorant of the 2002 Gujrat mob violence conducted by Hindus? Defending war criminals and rapists like Modi. Congrats on being an apologist for a rapist. You seem lovely. This is your lovely India.

Mothers were skewered on swords as their children watched. Young women were stripped and raped in broad daylight, then doused with kerosene and set on fire. A pregnant woman's belly was slit open, her fetus raised skyward on the tip of a sword and then tossed onto one of the fires that blazed across the city.

''This was not a riot,'' one senior police official said angrily. ''It was a state-sponsored pogrom.''

https://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/27/world/religious-riots-loom-over-indian-politics.html

As for Modis involvement.

From the GUARDIAN.

The Hindu chief minister of India's Gujarat state is blamed for the sectarian murder of at least 2,000 Muslims last year.

In the context of Indian PM Narendra Modi's visit to the UK, we are deeply shocked at the gut-wrenching violence against women and children in Indiabeing defended by politicians of Modi's ruling Hindu rightwing party, the BJP.

Hindu extremists, or their associates, stand implicated in rape and murder while some BJP leaders actively mobilise to defend them and undermine the rule of law

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...endra-modi-massacre-next-prime-minister-india

This is modern India my friends. A country literally ruled by rapists and murderers. A country that embraces and celebrates a culture of killing minorities, and raping minority women. Their leader Modi, is literally a war criminal responsible for up to the death of 10,000 Muslims, and rapes of perhaps up to 100,000 women. That is an estimate that has widely been reported. Indias official numbers of course downplay the numbers as they are the ones who perpetrated this violence.

How did India react? They made this guy their leader.

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
Their leader Modi, is literally a war criminal responsible for up to the death of 10,000 Muslims, and rapes of perhaps up to 100,000 women. That is an estimate that has widely been reported.

If this estimate is "widely reported", you shouldn't have trouble finding me a source or few. Unless of course, you're pulling numbers out of your ass.

Fruit&Nut

Banned
Mar 16, 2018
If this estimate is "widely reported", you shouldn't have trouble finding me a source or few. Unless of course, you're pulling numbers out of your ass.

Again defending your hero the rapist. Good job. Nice to see so many apologists for rapists and war criminals. Stop ignoring everything in the post and do some googling yourself. Stop being ignorant. That is indeed the number that was reported. Can you find a number that is different or are you just full of shit?

Read what I posted. Fucked up country to vote in Modi as your leader. A party full of rapists and rape apologists.

Oct 28, 2017
I think most people on this board will agree that the US is a country that is saturated in a history of racism and bigotry. Things are obviously better today than they were 200 years ago, but many real issues exist today.

So why must we be so cautious when talking about India's issues? We'll plainly say how shitty America can be and the history behind it. I don't see why we cannot hold India accountable for its history and present-day cultures.

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
Again defending your hero the rapist. Good job. Nice to see so many apologists for rapists and war criminals. Stop ignoring everything in the post and do some googling yourself. Stop being ignorant.
Look, it's pretty simple. Show me estimates that 100,000 women were raped during the Gujarat Riots (you can't seem to decide between 'up to 100,000' or 'over 100,000' to begin with), and I'll back down. You clearly can't, though, because you're plain out lying and embellishing facts to make your point seem more important.

Hey, and while you're at it, you can show me direct rape allegations against Modi, too, given that he is a rapist and all.

Never thought the day would dawn that I'd be defending Modi, but here we are.

Fruit&Nut

Banned
Mar 16, 2018
User Banned (1 week): derailing and spamming multiple threads with disinformation
I think most people on this board will agree that the US is a country that is saturated in a history of racism and bigotry. Things are obviously better today than they were 200 years ago, but many real issues exist today.

So why must we be so cautious when talking about India's issues? We'll plainly say how shitty America can be and the history behind it. I don't see why we cannot hold India accountable for its history and present-day cultures.

Read my above post, linked to Guardian and New York Times.

Indias leader, literally is responsible for violence that killed up to 10,000 people, and estimated 100,000 women raped. Indians, only disagreement will be with the numbers, while not even defending anything else.

Their ruling party, according to the Guardian, is literally made up of actual rapists, and people who organise rape squads. That is modern day India.

And Indians love Modi for this. This is why they made him their leader. Ignoring this is a diservice to all the victims.

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
Indias leader, literally is responsible for violence that killed up to 10,000 people, and estimated 100,000 women raped. Indians, only disagreement will be with the numbers, while not even defending anything else.
Again with this bullshit. Show me the receipts or get the fuck out with your thinly-veiled racism.

Fruit&Nut

Banned
Mar 16, 2018
Muslim women were singled out. According to many Indian and foreign sources, including a Human Rights Watch account and a report by an international research team called 'Threatened Existence: A Feminist Analysis of the Genocide in Gujarat,' women were stripped, gang-raped, often publicly, and in almost all cases then burned or hacked to death.

As if the bloodletting was not horrific enough, Modi subsequently dismantled the shelters constructed by private organisations for dispossessed Muslims, calling them "child-breeding centres". Compared with the New Delhi rape, which has triggered a protest movement in India calling for the clinical castration and execution of the suspects, the Gujarat rapes and pogrom elicited barely a whimper.

Fewer than 100 out of the thousands accused — among them only one state minister and one BJP leader — were convicted and that was a decade later. Modi himself was exonerated.

https://gulfnews.com/opinion/thinkers/what-about-the-women-raped-in-modi-s-gujarat-1.1136678

Indias ruling party, their members, LITERALLY lead these mobs, and these actual politicians, literally raped and killed women. And you have people here defending Modi. Disgusting rape apologists.

Deleted member 3058

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Again with this bullshit. Show me the receipts or get the fuck out with your thinly-veiled racism.
I could be wrong but I think he shows up in every India thread and states the same thing about Modi (which while horrible doesn't need to be brought into every thread about India, Modi has nothing to do with this thread).

He is also making it bigoted by talking shit about all Indians and the entire country.

Surprised he hasn't been banned yet.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017

Because the second part does nothing.

It's the husband and wife's duty to love one another. It's only the wife's duty to submit to the other.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Read my above post, linked to Guardian and New York Times.

Their ruling party, according to the Guardian, is literally made up of actual rapists, and people who organise rape squads. That is modern day India.

And Indians love Modi for this. This is why they made him their leader. Ignoring this is a diservice to all the victims.
Do you have an article about that?

Fruit&Nut

Banned
Mar 16, 2018
Do you have an article about that?

When it happend thats what was reported. Finding figures now is difficult, as they range all over the place, and the number of estimated raped women is not something I am seeing now. But up to 10,000 people killed was reported. The official Indian numbers for deaths are lower, but those have never been considered credible. I will post an article soon showing the estimates of deaths, when I next get a break.

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
When it happend thats what was reported. Finding figures now is difficult, as they range all over the place, and the number of estimated raped women is not something I am seeing now. But up to 10,000 people killed was reported. The official Indian numbers for deaths are lower, but those have never been considered credible. I will post an article soon showing the estimates of deaths, when I next get a break.

Are you sure? The generally agreed upon number, outside of official figures, is roughly 2,000 dead including Hindus.

Sources:
Human Rights Watch "...after the anti-Muslim riots that killed nearly 2,000 people, Human Rights Watch said today..."
Christophe Jaffrelot "In fact, the total number of casualties was most certainly over 2,000 dead..."
Mugdha Yeolekar "Over 2000 people were killed in the violence..."

I'm so disappointed you didn't call a site administrator a rape apologist, though. Did a right and proper 180 on your tone as soon as an admin asked the same thing as me.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
India is the creepiest place I've ever been to. Went with my wife the leering stares were as if she were the only woman on Earth.

brownmagic

Oct 25, 2017

India is a real piece of work lol

India is the creepiest place I've ever been to. Went with my wife the leering stares were as if she were the only woman on Earth.

Yikes. Are we okay generalizing a diverse country with 1.1 billion people? How is acceptable for a board that leans progressive?

If there was a similar thread about how Muslims are terrorists, it would be 100 pages long of people calling out that bullshit.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
Yikes. Are we okay generalizing a diverse country with 1.1 billion people? How is acceptable for a board that leans progressive?

If there was a similar thread about how Muslims are terrorists, it would be 100 pages long of people calling out that bullshit.
I don't know what's considered a generalization in this case, but the problem is such that the US department of state has specifically created a warning for women who are considering traveling there:

Travelers should be aware that there have been reported cases of sexual assault, including rape, of U.S. citizens traveling throughout India. U.S. citizens, particularly women, are cautioned not to travel alone in India. Women traveling in India are advised to respect local dress and customs. Customary everyday dress for Indian women throughout the country is conservative, and even more so in non-urban areas, with women wearing clothing that covers their legs and shoulders. Exceptions are vacation resorts catering to foreign clientele and some neighborhoods of the major cities of New Delhi and Mumbai. Western women, especially those of African descent, continue to report incidents of verbal and physical harassment by individuals and groups of men. Known locally as "Eve-teasing," these incidents of sexual harassment can be quite frightening and can quickly cross the line from verbal to physical. Sexual harassment can occur anytime or anywhere, but most frequently has happened in crowded areas such as in market places, train stations, buses, and public streets. The harassment can range from sexually suggestive or lewd comments to catcalls to outright groping. The Government of India has focused greater attention on addressing issues of gender violence. One outcome has been greater reporting of incidences of sexual assault country-wide, and Indian authorities report rape is one of the fastest growing crimes in India. Among large cities, Delhi experienced the highest number of reported crimes against women. Although most victims have been local residents, recent sexual attacks against female visitors in tourist areas across India underline the fact that foreign women are at risk and should exercise vigilance.

Women should observe stringent security precautions, including avoiding use of public transport after dark without the company of known and trustworthy companions, restricting evening entertainment to well-known venues, and avoiding isolated areas when alone at any time of day. Keep your hotel room number confidential and make sure hotel room doors have chains, deadlocks, and peep holes. Travel with groups of friends rather than alone. In addition, only hire reliable cars and drivers and avoid traveling alone in hired taxis, especially at night. Use taxis from hotels and pre-paid taxis at airports rather than hailing them on the street. If you encounter threatening situations, call "100" for police assistance ("112" from mobile phones).

And the neverending march of stories like this indicate that the problem goes deeper than just a few bad eggs in a few bad areas.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Patriarchy and misogyny are the reasons behind this, and India needs a couple waves of feminism.

Uh, you do realize that "love" back then isn't the tender love we think of now, but rather providing for your wife and not leaving her or beating her to death?

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Locals and ABVP workers carried out a protest against the attack on the girls on Triveniganj roads. They blocked a national highway, which disrupted traffic for several hours.

I had to double check to make sure I read it right. Was almost expecting the ABVP (the youth wing of the party in power currently, BJP) to protest in favor of the assaulting goons.

Which incidentally has happened before. Multiple times. BJP party members and people affiliated with it have protested the arrest of rape perpetrators (including one that tortured, raped and killed a minor) and given a royal welcome to people accused of lynching minorities.

ABVP is no stranger to violence on schools and colleges either. Just start a google search with "ABVP beats up"..... and see what you get.