• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018...ronting-sexual-harassers-181008092409071.html

Thirty-four girls, aged between 12 and 14, beaten up by boys and their parents in Supaul district.

Kasturba Gandhi Balika Vidyalaya, a residential school for girls in Supaul district, witnessed chaotic scenes on Saturday after some girls objected to sexual advances and lewd messages from a group of boys.

"Shockingly, when the boys came back to attack the girls, they were with their parents. Adults not guiding their children and the community not preventing such attacks is shocking and disheartening," he added.

Violence against girls in Bihar has been in the spotlight since more than 30 girls were raped at a children's shelter in July, in a case that led to national anger over the management of care homes. These girls had told a local court that they were beaten, drugged, raped and scalded with hot water.

"Reporting rapes since 2012 has increased but rates of convictions or punishments in cases of sexual violence has had no uptick. This reflects the culture of impunity, the feeling that perpetrators will not be punished," he added.

Becks'

Dec 7, 2017
Canada
User Banned (3 Days): Inflammatory generalizations
Middle East and some parts of Asia are 800 years behind thanks to religions.

yumms

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, the parents of the boys joined in as well!

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
These are the times I wish there was a group of Vigilantes that would hold these piece of shits accountable.

Sure I sound like a hypocrite... but fuck this shit, if the Government ain't really gonna do anything.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
This is only going to worsen as the gender population gap grows. There are 37 million more men than women in a country that has favored males due to the caste system. That is a gap that has never been seen before in human history.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/grap...any-men/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.4d126864c824
Same thing is happening in China. Gendercide is really messing up the dynamic in both countries.

Here's a great charity on the topic.

http://invisiblegirlproject.org/the-issue/

bwakh

Jan 16, 2018
I'm just reacting to their post, religions are problematic in the entire world, it's not exclusive to middle east and some cherrypicked examples

It's not exclusive, agreed, but religion did not cause this example either, is my point.

These sick people suddenly becoming non-religious is not going to make them stop doing what they did.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it would be cool to not derail the thread with the usual crusade against religion when it got nothing to do with the subject here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Is the abuse of women written into law over there?
There seems to be lower view of girls/women in general as seen in my link above. If a society sees them as disposable, it's not a surprise that such a careless attitude toward their human rights and dignity is pervasive.

That said India is massive and diverse and I'm not that educated in the nuances here

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
I watched Lion a few days ago. Great & touching movie. The situation for kids there is dire, can't imagine how it is for girls. :(

DosaDaRaja

Oct 26, 2017
This is only going to worsen as the gender population gap grows. There are 37 million more men than women in a country that has favored males due to the caste system. That is a gap that has never been seen before in human history.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/grap...any-men/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.4d126864c824

This is NOT due to the caste system. It's plain old centuries old misogyny that's gonna culminate in that.

Wat

Rogote

Oct 25, 2017
There seems to be lower view of girls/women in general as seen in my link above. If a society sees them as disposable, it's not a surprise that such a careless attitude toward their human rights and dignity is pervasive.

That said India is massive and diverse and I'm not that educated in the nuances here

Ironically, they should NOT see women as disposable, since they are facing a big fucking problem with men outnumbering women in tens of millions.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
The US will need to expand the bench to get all this SCOTUS material to sit!

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Wtf, even the parents. Hope these girls get justice, though it looks unlikely :(

Fruit&Nut

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Mar 16, 2018

LOL what are you talking about?

Rape and sexual assault is generally far more prevalent in Africa and India than the Middle East. This has nothing to do with the Middle East. Why do some of you nutcases always conflate Asia and the Middle East. It's bizarre. This also has nothing to do with religion. It's Indian culture.

Only two countries even practice female infanticide. And India is ranked the number 1 most dangerous country in the world for females, and India is generally considered the rape capital of the world by many. Although some African countries also have a high number of rapes per year.

The difference between India and the rest of the world is, this is a community thing. While other countries in Africa also have prevalent sexual assault, in India it seems to be a community thing. In this case, even the parents of the would be sexual assaulters joined in.

D65

Oct 26, 2017
This is so fucked. There's no real progress with feminism globally. My blood is fucking boiling

And for people who seem to have this idea that religion has no contributing factor, it is absolutely used as a justification for oppression everywhere around the world.

Deleted member 2625

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would call it a cultural problem which is exacerbated by certain hardline/fundamentalist religious views. The two are intermingled. But in India in particular girls are just seen as "lesser", and when you combine that with the cultural stigma of having a daughter vs having a son, you get a Chinese-style lopsided demographic sexually. Which leads to competition and animosity, and yeah toxic masculinity, which in turn leads to a generally terrible situation for women in these circumstances.

Oct 27, 2017
Not familiar with the religious makeup of India, but what religion condones this?

Not sure about religion in India, but most religious texts have things similar or worse:

"I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent." (1 Timothy 2:12)

"Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord." (Ephesians 5:22)

Deleted member 4274

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Real talk what is up with India and rape (I know all countries suffer this problem, so don't jump down my throat. I am telling you preemptively this is not a question hiding racism)? What am I missing? Because that story in July about 30 girls raped and tortured, or the woman on the bus who they brutalized and ripped her intestines out. What the fuck is going on over there?

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Real talk what is up with India and rape (I know all countries suffer this problem, so don't jump down my throat. I am telling you preemptively this is not a question hiding racism)? What am I missing? Because that story in July about 30 girls raped and tortured, or the woman on the bus who they brutalized and ripped her intestines out. What the fuck is going on over there?
Rape is a huge problem in every country as far as I know.

India seems to be different in the gang rapes, which might be as common in other countries but definitely are not reported as much. I have no idea why that seems to be more prevalent in India.