• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Ludum Dare is this weekend, anybody particpating? I'm pretty tempted to give it a go. I guess I'll decide once I see the theme.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for double post but here is the theme for anyone interested

i have an idea so I'm probably going to attempt it.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Sorry for double post but here is the theme for anyone interested

i have an idea so I'm probably going to attempt it.

This seems to be the exact theme of a couple of games in the upcoming UFO 50, including one where you sacrifice your previous "lifes" turning the character into a statue to create a bridge, explode it to bomb a wall, etc.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
"Sacrifices must be made."

NEXTLAHUALLI INTENSIFIES

Anyway, looks like I have my excuse to take a break from JAEGER to work on one of my Roguelike ideas. I think I've got something in the back of my mind that would work perfectly with this theme.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
This seems to be the exact theme of a couple of games in the upcoming UFO 50, including one where you sacrifice your previous "lifes" turning the character into a statue to create a bridge, explode it to bomb a wall, etc.

basically what i was thinking lol. I had a "AHA!" moment followed by a slow realization of "oh wait that's obvious." Still doing it cause why not. Already got the basic gameplay done.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
basically what i was thinking lol. I had a "AHA!" moment followed by a slow realization of "oh wait that's obvious." Still doing it cause why not. Already got the basic gameplay done.

I don't think it's that obvious at all, frankly, and I can't wait to see your take on it. :) I was posting about UFO 50 mostly in case anyone needed some inspiration.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's that obvious at all, frankly, and I can't wait to see your take on it. :) I was posting about UFO 50 mostly in case anyone needed some inspiration.

It's probably one of the simplest forms of this but I think I thought of a really good theming for it and now I'm excited. Though part of me just really wants to do nothing but play Battlefield V since I picked that up yesterday.

JonDadley

May 4, 2018
I've been spending the last few weeks doing some polish and refinement to Transmission. Subtle things like better handling, compression on the suspension (you can notice this on tight corners) and some graphical tweaks. I think I might have finally finished the prototype...

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Still WIP but want to show something

That's adorable. :) Do you have infinite jumps in that form, or just a very high number?

I've been spending the last few weeks doing some polish and refinement to Transmission. Subtle things like better handling, compression on the suspension (you can notice this on tight corners) and some graphical tweaks. I think I might have finally finished the prototype...

Your game is so relaxing, I feel some of the tension drain away just by watching it; I love it. I'm in a big VR mood since I got myself a cheap PSVR bundle, are you perchance considering VR?

JonDadley

May 4, 2018
Your game is so relaxing, I feel some of the tension drain away just by watching it; I love it. I'm in a big VR mood since I got myself a cheap PSVR bundle, are you perchance considering VR?

Thanks! Yeah I'm definitely considering it. I play a lot of Euro Truck Simulator 2 in VR and that was the main inspiration for Transmission. Plus my last game was a VR game. That said, I'd want to do it justice and doing a VR game properly takes a lot of time and effort. It'll depend on if I manage to get a publisher interested who can give me the resources to devote to VR but it's absolutely on my list :)

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Technically have a finished game for Ludum Dare already, it's just short, light on mechanics, and ugly as hell. Just going to try and make more levels with more mechanics and try for something more visually cohesive.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Here's my #screenshotsaturday.

Thanks! Yeah I'm definitely considering it. I play a lot of Euro Truck Simulator 2 in VR and that was the main inspiration for Transmission. Plus my last game was a VR game. That said, I'd want to do it justice and doing a VR game properly takes a lot of time and effort. It'll depend on if I manage to get a publisher interested who can give me the resources to devote to VR but it's absolutely on my list :)

I hope you're able to do so, especially since you already have the expertise. Best of luck with a publisher, I'm going to need one myself soon!

Technically have a finished game for Ludum Dare already, it's just short, light on mechanics, and ugly as hell. Just going to try and make more levels with more mechanics and try for something more visually cohesive.

It's amazing to me that people can make games in such short time periods, wow. Anywhere we can see it?

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Here's my #screenshotsaturday.

I hope you're able to do so, especially since you already have the expertise. Best of luck with a publisher, I'm going to need one myself soon!

It's amazing to me that people can make games in such short time periods, wow. Anywhere we can see it?

It's as much of a game as 7 short levels are lol. Want to add more and some extra mechanics as it goes on. Goal is 20 levels. I'll post it a bit later, went out to eat with my family. I'm more amazed on how people can make games that also look good in that amount of time.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
Are there any good Unity development Bibles I should buy. They few how to books I've gotten seem to have only a handful of tuts that don't teach a whole lot

ninjaboyjohn

Oct 30, 2017
California
I recently recorded a 3 part tutorial series for How To Create VR.com about quickly making animated characters for Unreal 4 from scratch using Oculus Medium + Maya LT.

This kind of pipeline is super helpful if you aren't an amazing modeler and want to make a prototype character in just a couple of hours - great for a game jam like Ludum Dare.

The first part of the tutorial, where I sculpt a Goomba in Medium, was just posted here: https://www.howtocreatevr.com/media/vr-prototyping-series-sculpting-a-character-in-oculus-medium/

And on Youtube:

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anybody have any experience adjusting a UE4 project that's late into development to have good HDR support? I don't really know a lot about the technology and only recently got a display that supports it, but I've been kinda inconsistent between using various emissive amounts, bloom intensities, and often completely unlit materials when it comes to my game's pulsing and glowing stuff, and I'm assuming that means it'll be a pain in the ass to get it looking consistent in HDR and I should probably drop the idea. Especially given that non-VR support is kinda secondary.

The first part of the tutorial, where I sculpt a Goomba in Medium, was just posted here: https://www.howtocreatevr.com/media/vr-prototyping-series-sculpting-a-character-in-oculus-medium/

Good video! Medium's exporting options have gotten a lot nicer since I last messed with it.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
All right done with Ludum Dare for the day. Working on it all day is mentally exhausting lol. Game is currently 10 levels long. Still like 3 mechanics I want to implement. It's been fun working on something so simple and seeing immediate progress with new ideas. My RPG moves at a glacial pace in comparison at this point lol.

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I know this is probably an odd question, but is anyone in here doing development on/for the Nintendo Switch?

I've been wondering if it's possible to develop games that'll run on Switch, but test them via an emulator rather than real, hacked hardware.

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
I know this is probably an odd question, but is anyone in here doing development on/for the Nintendo Switch?

I've been wondering if it's possible to develop games that'll run on Switch, but test them via an emulator rather than real, hacked hardware.

Even if it were possible I wouldn't recommend it, emulators are never completely accurate to actual hardware so whatever you make could break in horrible ways on legit or hacked devices, at that point why don't you just make your game for PC?

Nintendo's dev hardware has become a lot more accessible both logistically and financially anyway, so I'd suggest just reaching out to them and getting the ball rolling if you're interested in making a Switch game.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

On one hand, a Switch dev kit costs in the ballpark of an actual Switch (300€ or so if I remember correctly), and I believe you will need to get one anyway for the dev tools to compile a Switch executable, or to publish the game on the eShop. The former is particularly limiting since it means you probably can't use an emulator even to test for how viable it is to port your game. :/

On the other hand, assuming you already got the dev kit and such, with a decent emulator this might be a more confortable way to develop than loading the executable on the dev kit every time, at least to iron the initial kinks.

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Even if it were possible I wouldn't recommend it, emulators are never completely accurate to actual hardware so whatever you make could break in horrible ways on legit or hacked devices, at that point why don't you just make your game for PC?

Nintendo's dev hardware has become a lot more accessible both logistically and financially anyway, so I'd suggest just reaching out to them and getting the ball rolling if you're interested in making a Switch game.
On one hand, a Switch dev kit costs in the ballpark of an actual Switch (300€ or so if I remember correctly), and I believe you will need to get one anyway for the dev tools to compile a Switch executable, or to publish the game on the eShop. The former is particularly limiting since it means you probably can't use an emulator even to test for how viable it is to port your game. :/

On the other hand, assuming you already got the dev kit and such, with a decent emulator this might be a more confortable way to develop than loading the executable on the dev kit every time, at least to iron the initial kinks.
Thanks for the replies. I have been in touch with Nintendo about developing for Switch, and the gist of what I got was that you need to essentially pitch what you're working on in order to possibly get approval and access to hardware. That puts me in a weird spot where I mostly just want to be able to dip my toes in the water and confirm the viability of porting a project I had started developing (on Mac).

I was asking about the emulator because I am a registered Apple Developer and love how Xcode comes with simulators for all iOS devices. I can test code locally without having to deploy to hardware. It lets me iterate pretty quickly and test minor changes without much hassle.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Thanks for the replies. I have been in touch with Nintendo about developing for Switch, and the gist of what I got was that you need to essentially pitch what you're working on in order to possibly get approval and access to hardware. That puts me in a weird spot where I mostly just want to be able to dip my toes in the water and confirm the viability of porting a project I had started developing (on Mac).

Wouldn't you be able to just pitch your project to them? Also, what are you developing in? Depending on the engine and requirements of your game, porting to Switch is apparently relatively painless.

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Admittedly, the concept is still quite... Gooey. At first it was going to be a Mega Man inspired type game with an original story, characters and universe, but then it was going to be a platformer based off of a friend's indie comic. He backed out due to other obligations (he was going to do the art), and so it's back to square one, but I hadn't really fleshed out much of the concept before it shifted to his comic. I feel like Nintendo needs to see more than just some basic tests of the core engine.

I'm currently developing it in C++ using SDL for graphics, sound and input detection. I have seen some buzz about a port of SDL for Switch, but the folks behind it won't share the source with anyone who doesn't have access to Switch development. I am a registered Nintendo developer, but I only have access to 3DS and Wii U in my portal.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Admittedly, the concept is still quite... Gooey. At first it was going to be a Mega Man inspired type game with an original story, characters and universe, but then it was going to be a platformer based off of a friend's indie comic. He backed out due to other obligations (he was going to do the art), and so it's back to square one, but I hadn't really fleshed out much of the concept before it shifted to his comic. I feel like Nintendo needs to see more than just some basic tests of the core engine.

I'm currently developing it in C++ using SDL for graphics, sound and input detection. I have seen some buzz about a port of SDL for Switch, but the folks behind it won't share the source with anyone who doesn't have access to Switch development. I am a registered Nintendo developer, but I only have access to 3DS and Wii U in my portal.

Hmm, I think I'd contact Nintendo explaining the situation to them to see if they can help. IIRC the license for Wii U development was much more expensive and hard to get, so that might get you some leeway into getting accepted for Switch.

In fact, do you have any game already released on 3DS or Wii U? I feel like you may want to port them to Switch, both for its own sake and as a fast ticket to getting Switch dev approval.

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Hmm, I think I'd contact Nintendo explaining the situation to them to see if they can help. IIRC the license for Wii U development was much more expensive and hard to get, so that might get you some leeway into getting accepted for Switch.

In fact, do you have any game already released on 3DS or Wii U? I feel like you may want to port them to Switch, both for its own sake and as a fast ticket to getting Switch dev approval.
Unfortunately no. I have an iOS App I developed myself on the App Store, and several I've worked on at my full-time job, but nothing on any Nintendo platforms.

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia

You should definitely just pitch them on something to see if you can get Switch added to your registration, the kit you need is pretty cheap but can take a while to get (I imagine developer interest is way higher on switch than anticipated, or at least was in the early days due to the success + cheap cost of kits relative to Nintendo's history) but if you're already accepted as Wii U + 3DS I'm pretty sure they'll approve you for Switch.

Just make an impassioned case for why you wanna make Switch games and how your project idea is a great fit for it, they're not robots.

_Rob_

Oct 26, 2017
Having fun preparing for Clive 'N' Wrench's alpha 3.0 test run, a company logo intro has been on my list for a long time!

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Hey I finished the Ludum Dare game yesterday, it's called 9 Lives and it's a platformer where you are cat sacrificing one of your lives to get to the goal. Turned it in by the 48 hour deadline but didn't submit to the competition cause I made the song and sprite before the competition. Was an interesting experience.
https://dnabro.itch.io/9-lives

Please give it a try. Do not that this led me to discover that when building a game, versus testing it in the Unity Editor, for some reason the camera can mess up in 2D games. I couldn't get the game to look how it did the editor so I had to change some things in the 11th hour and it made things look oddly zoomed out at points. If anyone has any info on why this happens or advice to deal with it, 100% appreciated.

Also this led me to discover that my main game straight up crashes immediately when I try and play the build version. Biggest lesson learned was
playing in unity editor != building the game and playing it.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I couldn't get the game to look how it did the editor so I had to change some things in the 11th hour and it made things look oddly zoomed out at points. If anyone has any info on why this happens or advice to deal with it, 100% appreciated.

Did you use the same resolution in the editor window than in the built version? Could you post a screenshot of the built to see what exactly is the problem?

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Did you use the same resolution in the editor window than in the built version? Could you post a screenshot of the built to see what exactly is the problem?

I kept trying to but it kept getting zoomed in. Like it would shrink the camera to 800x600 no matter what resolution I told it to build at. Not really worth the issue anymore cause I'm most likely never touching the game again.

Also thank the lord updating my main game to the latest version of Unity fixed the crashing issue. Camera doesn't have the same issue either! Though as I expected, UI elements look are wonky. I'll fix that eventually lol.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I kept trying to but it kept getting zoomed in. Like it would shrink the camera to 800x600 no matter what resolution I told it to build at. Not really worth the issue anymore cause I'm most likely never touching the game again.

Also thank the lord updating my main game to the latest version of Unity fixed the crashing issue. Camera doesn't have the same issue either! Though as I expected, UI elements look are wonky. I'll fix that eventually lol.

The resolution you set in the "player settings" is only the resolution Unity will try to default to, but this can be easily overriden if a) you've selected a different resolution earlier, or b) start in windowed mode (which always picks a strictly inferior resolution to your desktop), or c) any of the other resolution settings conflict with it.

Specifically make sure that:
- "Supported aspect ratios" has the aspect ratio checked (make sure at least 16:9 and 16:10 are checked). The fact that it defaults to a non-widescreen resolution like 800 x 600 makes me think the issue could be here.
- "Allow fullscreen switch" is enabled.
- "Display resolution dialog" is enabled, so that you can manually pick a resolution from the Unity launcher before starting the game, including fullscreen or windowed.

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
You should definitely just pitch them on something to see if you can get Switch added to your registration, the kit you need is pretty cheap but can take a while to get (I imagine developer interest is way higher on switch than anticipated, or at least was in the early days due to the success + cheap cost of kits relative to Nintendo's history) but if you're already accepted as Wii U + 3DS I'm pretty sure they'll approve you for Switch.

Just make an impassioned case for why you wanna make Switch games and how your project idea is a great fit for it, they're not robots.
I didn't think about doing that, but it's worth a shot. I kind of got paralyzed when they told me about having to pitch it because I don't have much to pitch. It's all kind of chilling in my head right now, but hasn't really been put to paper in any way. The only thing I have is the start of the game's engine/code that I can run and is basically just a pencil test (literally); a white background with an outlined character I can move back and forth and press a button to make it shoot. That was when it was going to be based on my friend's comic book.

I suppose the worst they could do is tell me to come back when I have more to show, but I'd honestly feel way more motivated if I had the SDK in my hands.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Last night I added this expanding crack effect to these volatile crate-barrel things I've had and made some basic drones that swoop down, grab, and move the crates, so naturally I gotta have a moving crate maze at some point, right? I'll have to space it out more, have more unbreakable crates, and I'll probably make some "stationary" asshole turret drones buried in there, but even just thoughtlessly slamming ~30 of these down gave pretty fun results.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
Hey all. And thanks to Tain for reminding me of this thread! :)

I'm currently working on an RPG in RPG Maker MV called Legends of Adrigal as my project. Since I have more free time now, I'm back at work on it.

While I wait to get some screengrabs for you all, this was my first finished game, Super Push Adventure. It's Sokoban-inspired and was made in Game Maker.

https://superphillipl32.itch.io/super-push-adventure

My friend Rob made this back in the day for me, a trailer:

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Well... My fate's in Nintendo Developer Relations' hands now. I wrote up an email explaining my situation, the project, the ups and downs, a link to a video of an early engine test, and a bunch about my passion for bringing a game to the Switch. Here's hoping they give me a chance.

*fingers crossed*

_Rob_

Oct 26, 2017
Hello everyone!

Gearing up for 2019's indie thread, Pehesse has offered a unique twist for the OP's banner. Given that most of our games are character driven, she has offered to create an animated "can can" image, featuring the characters of those interested! Something like this:

MvgG3Fq.gif

In order to represent our characters as best she can, you'll need to supply character reference (ideally a turnaround). You can either post them here, or DM Pehesse directly. The current character list is as follows:

-Inti Acrobat (Pachakutiq)
-Inti Warrior (Pachakutiq)
-Lana (Magikilo)
-Gabbi (Magikilo
-Clive+Wrench (Clive & Wrench)
-Olga (Clive & Wrench)
-Brock (Brock Crocodile)
-sousourocket (Aurora)
-Ysengrim (The Godbeast)
-[Rhanitan]
-[Katu]
-[Sabrina]
-[K Monkey - Werewolf]
-[Astrael]
-[Jobbs]
-[Divinoids - Weltall Zero]
-[Pooh]
-[Mabec]
-[SaberVS7]
-[DNAbro]

And that wraps all the slots up, thanks everyone!

Last edited:

Joystick

Oct 28, 2017
Well... My fate's in Nintendo Developer Relations' hands now. I wrote up an email explaining my situation, the project, the ups and downs, a link to a video of an early engine test, and a bunch about my passion for bringing a game to the Switch. Here's hoping they give me a chance.

*fingers crossed*

Hi Dave, if it makes you feel more at ease I listened to a panel of indie devs at Pax Aus a month back on their stories getting approved for Switch and some porting their existing games over. It sounded much easier than it has been previously and I had the impression that Nintendo were really easy and friendly to talk to (not sure if they went through Nintendo Australia or direct).

I think that if you had some concept art, even if in early form and even though you may change directions a bit on that (source another artist or give it a go yourself), that you should include it if they respond with a bit of interest. Definitely having anything concrete (your engine test is a great example) is a real help.

Best of luck and let us know how you go!

Edit: Can't find the video recording but here's some quotes from the devs (mostly about the sales side - they talked tech as well):
https://nintendoeverything.com/indies-talk-switch-success-stories-and-share-new-data/

Last edited:

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Hello everyone!

Gearing up for 2019's indie thread, Pehesse has offered a unique twist for the OP's banner. Given that most of our games are character driven, she has offered to create an animated "can can" image, featuring the characters of those interested! Something like this:

MvgG3Fq.gif

In order to represent our characters as best she can, you'll need to supply character reference (ideally a turnaround). You can either post them here, or DM Pehesse directly. The current character list is as follows:

-Inti Acrobat (Pachakutiq)
-Inti Warrior (Pachakutiq)
-Lana (Magikilo)
-Gabbi (Magikilo
-Clive+Wrench (Clive & Wrench)
-Olga (Clive & Wrench)
-Brock (Brock Crocodile)
-Ysengrim (The Godbeast)
-[Rhanitan]
-[Katu]
-[Sabrina]
-[K Monkey - Werewolf]
-[Astrael]
-[Jobbs]
-[Divinoids - Weltall Zero]
-[Pooh]
-[Mabec]
-
-
-

It's on a first come, first serve basis though; and as you can see there's only a handful of slots left, so you've gotta be quick!

Wow, this is... mindbogglingly generous. :O Infinite thanks Pehesse, I'm speechless.

I don't have any design materials for my Divinoids (I, uh, can't draw for shit :D), but I'm going to compile some of the side and front sprites plus the cutscenes and post them.

Edit: OK, I posted them in the Pixel Art Thread to kill two birds with one stone, and also not to kill anyone's bandwidth here:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/pixel-art-ot.1278/post-15639292

Last edited:

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
I've finally devoted time to my RPG after an 8-month hiatus due to life and stuff.
It was a pain in the butt to do, but I have a working mine cart with switches for the first dungeon of my RPG.

Mike Armbrust

Oct 25, 2017
tpscampaigndev2.png

I'm adding a campaign to give Twisty Puzzle Simulator more structure for players that need it. This is my first time doing any sort of modeling or texturing but I think it's coming along.

Given that most of our games are character driven

I never thought about it before, but I seem to avoid characters. Maybe one day I'll make a game that's character driven haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.