• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA

He specifically was comparing to eShop, but also alluded to criticisms of Steam's cut vs other storefronts.

TheJackdog

Oct 27, 2017
nintendo being 1. nintendo and 2. "new"ish to a digital storefront, not surprised.

Curious what MS and sony provide. Also metrics from a digital storefront on a personal computer vs metrics on a digital storefront (mainly) accessed only via console cant be a 1:1 comparison right?

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
nintendo being 1. nintendo and 2. "new"ish to a digital storefront, not surprised.

Curious what MS and sony provide. Also metrics from a digital storefront on a personal computer vs metrics on a digital storefront (mainly) accessed only via console cant be a 1:1 comparison right?
Why wouldn't it be a 1:1 comparison? In the end, the digital storefront accessed by console is still the same backend, with it being clicked by people and you wanting to know if the PR you have been doing has been effective and which one is the one that attracted more people to focus on that.

TheJackdog

Oct 27, 2017
Why wouldn't it be a 1:1 comparison? In the end, the digital storefront accessed by console is still the same backend, with it being clicked by people and you wanting to know if the PR you have been doing has been effective and which one is the one that attracted more people to focus on that.

Because typical metrics, IE time on page, bounce rate, origin source, even ways to convert, are either not the right metrics or don't exist.

OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA

EShop, even on Switch alone, is years old now and he's saying it has no tools compared to Steam. If you say you're gonna make an appealing and competitive platform when there's existing competition, you aren't gonna get away with missing tons of features and saying "it's still new for us"

See: Google Stadia. Build your features before you screw people over. You know what the clients are expecting by now in 2020.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Because typical metrics, IE time on page, bounce rate, origin source, even ways to convert, are either not the right metrics or don't exist.
Why are those typical metrics not the right ones or dont exist?

Origin source even inside the store can be important as it shows you where the people came from, did they came from the upcoming page, the tag page, the "more like this" page of a game?

Heck, more jarring for me is not knowing if people are wishlisting your game.

TheJackdog

Oct 27, 2017
EShop, even on Switch alone, is years old now and he's saying it has no tools compared to Steam. If you say you're gonna make an appealing and competitive platform when there's existing competition, you aren't gonna get away with missing tons of features and saying "it's still new for us"

See: Google Stadia. Build your features before you screw people over. You know what the clients are expecting by now in 2020.

Just to be clear, i think its CRAZY they offer devs nothing.

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
Im honestly surprised to see people praise the Switch as a haven for Indies when consistenlty I've seen developers have ridiculous sales of 90% and above to just couple of cents just so they can guarantee eyes at the top of the page.

Not all do especially established indies but it is more prominent on Switch than Ive seen on Steam.

Last edited:

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Im honestly surprised to see people praise the Switch as a haven for Indies when consistenlty I've seen developers have ridiculous sales of 90% and above to just couple of cents just so they can guarantee eyes at the top of the page.

Not all do especially established indies but it is more prominent than Ive seen on Steam.

At least you can do that on Switch, on PS4 and Xbox Live from what i saw it is even harder to arrive to front page.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Indie games are still going to release on Switch because it's still a huge market with lots of players liking indie games, it's just a shame that they have to fly blind with regards to this stuff.

Not all do especially established indies but it is more prominent on Switch than Ive seen on Steam.

This does not apply to the majority of successful indie games on the platform. Games that are well marketed and highly polished and successful on any other platform don't really do this at all. Nintendo just have a kind of open door policy and so games which take this approach are allowed on there too.

Steam might have more of this approach on their store, but they let devs generate effectively unlimited keys at no charge, so it usually happens outside of the Steam store.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how other PC storefronts are on that sense, which is a comparison that would make more sense.

Honestly, I'm not surprised Switch is behind the curve on that front, Nintendo is what it is in the online space.

Oct 25, 2017
So when people say that Valve are greedy for taking 30%, I always think... really? Have you seen the tools they provide? Have you seen the traffic they guarantee to your store page?
I dunno about this, I've read that Valve is basically robbing people and stealing their livelihood.
And I'm sure your average forum user knows more about development than this guy

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
From what we know no store comes close to Steam backend features.
Yeah, reading down thread, and the impression I get is that Steam has the consensus best analytics package. I suppose you can argue that the consoles have two page types, one for browsers and another for consoles (vs Steam being strictly browser based), but that doesn't excuse giving devs absolutely zero analytics.

Dec 2, 2019
I don't understand how much of a difference it makes if they give you statistics or not, if any?

Nintendo should definitely provide this information, but it's not that your game is going to sell better if you have access to them. First, your game has to be good, fairly priced and a good port.
Game has a 71 Metacritic score, it's 25€ and I can find at least 5 games I'm more interested in that release on the eShop THIS WEEK (Aviary Attorney, Kentucky Route Zero, Sisters Royale: Five Sisters Under Fire, Skellboy, Coffee Talk), all cheaper than this one.

I would not blame lack of statistics if sales prove to be poor.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I don't understand how much of a difference it makes if they give you statistics or not, if any?

Nintendo should definitely provide this information, but it's not that your game is going to sell better if you have access to them. First, your game has to be good, fairly priced and a good port.
Game has a 71 Metacritic score, it's 25€ and I can find at least 5 games I'm more interested in that release on the eShop THIS WEEK (Aviary Attorney, Kentucky Route Zero, Sisters Royale: Five Sisters Under Fire, Skellboy, Coffee Talk), all cheaper than this one.

I would not blame lack of statistics if sales prove to be poor.

With proper data you can plan far ahead and even do something before launch to improve things if they are bad because you will have data to know if it worked or not.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Have you seen the traffic they guarantee to your store page?"

What traffic does Steam guarantee to store pages?

Dec 2, 2019
With proper data you can plan far ahead and even do something before launch to improve things if they are bad because you will have data to know if it worked or not.
I get the dev wasn't speaking specifically about sales, but sales are of the utmost importance, aren't they?

What I'm saying is that statistics don't guarantee sales, period. You do your best, market the game properly, tell fans you have support planned. What if those data were bad and the devs thought it's not worth the effort and abandoned support completely?

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I get the dev wasn't speaking specifically about sales, but sales are of the utmost importance, aren't they?

What I'm saying is that statistics don't guarantee sales, period. You do your best, market the game properly, tell fans you have support planned. What if those data were bad and the devs thought it's not worth the effort and abandoned support completely?

Again when you have that data you can look into the future. You can see roughly how game will do and plan support in advance. IF you need to wait release date (or even few days after) to see any data you need to delay any announcements regarding support and things like that.

Pizza Dog

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I hadn't heard of this game before, but it seems to be Papers, Please but for British pubs? Sounds good to me!

$10 Bagel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
feels like some people are missing the point, but that seems to be the point when it comes to Steam

This post does not imply his game will sell worse on Switch because it fails to give the developer any sort of statistics. In fact, The tweeter couldn't be any clearer on the intention of his message.

Tu101uk

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
I hadn't heard of this game before, but it seems to be Papers, Please but for British pubs? Sounds good to me!
Slightly continuing off topic but I just pulled the trigger on the Steam version the other day and have been enjoying it loads (being a Brit who voted to Remain, I'm loving the jabs and satire), now I find out a Switch version is coming out on Brexit Day? I'mma nab that!

I love that PC indie games, which have been some of my favourite games to play over the last few years (Halcyon 6, Slay the Spire, Chroma Squad and now this) are releasing for Switch but things like storefront analytics would help smaller devs a ton, especially when a lot of the time they're doing the marketing themselves.

Oct 25, 2017
People seriously underestimate how valuable it is to have even a rough idea how your product will do.
Like, I cannot emphasize how huge that is.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
I can't say I'm surprised that Nintendo offers nothing like this to developers and publishers, the consumer facing side of the eShop feels like it was thrown together in an afternoon when they realized the Switch was about to launch and they have to have some way of selling digital games, then decided that was good enough for 3 years.
Good on Valve for providing so much data to developers and publishers.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
Nintendo eShop certainly lacks features and the dev concerns are valid; but I can't help but feel like this Twitter rant is a form of marketing to raise awareness of the upcoming Switch launch.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017

Statistics help you with marketing and figuring out if your approach is effective.

Deleted member 43810

User requested account closure
Banned
May 23, 2018
I was outraged at first, but after reading some posts in this thread, now I think that it's awful that those indie devs are targetting Nintendo to promote their game. Truly a shame.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
Pay 30% (or w/e makes sense) for access to particular tools vs. x% with no access to those tools seems good to me.

Oct 27, 2017
It seems less that the eShop offers no functionality and more that it just doesn't offer some of the ones the dev uses to gauge popularity that Steam does
We have actual Switch devs on this site who can probably provide more clarity on what metrics devs actually get from the eShop

StonerSage

Banned
Sep 22, 2019
I get most of my news about indie games from the indie directs Nintendo has, I'm surprised you can't see if your game was wish-listed or not.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Steam is pretty much way, way ahead of the curve on storefront features for developers. They probably are what defines the far end of the curve, really.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I mean it's 2020 after all, nintendo should be more open with 3rd parties on what metrics they offer and ideally should be open about what they plan on offering as well.
If Msft and others have dev roadmaps with votes from users on what can be implemented next, Nintendo certainly should have something similar.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, other storefronts have a lot of catching up to do even if I have criticisms for Steam.
Everyone has(or should have) criticisms of Steam/Valve ( lack of moderation on the forums first and foremost for me) I guess it's hard to shake the tech libertarian mindset. Like you said no other storefront offers comparable features and none of other platform holders combined do as much consumer facing stuff or just general overall improvements(almost everything to do with VR) as Valve does.

luoapp

Oct 27, 2017
Meanwhile, Nintendo produced a handful of GOATs, what has valve done? Priorities, how do they work?

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It was a haven...before it started having like 20 games released every week. Now the sale page is filled with dozens and dozens of games without the ability to filter them, that's why they put such large discounts since you get a spot at the top of the page. Is totally fine let everyone release a game in your store, but you should offer those devs a proper store in the first place.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Something that I imagine many people already know, but it's worth mentioning again, Steam is exponentially easier to do patches than any of the consoles since you can do it all yourself. GoG is easy as well. Don't know about EGS.