• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
When she was 17 years old, Liz was coerced by a Children's Aid worker into having an abortion and being sterilized at a northwestern Ontario hospital, she says — an experience she's carried for 40 years.

"It was a matter of me almost [being] cornered, if you will, by my worker at the time saying, 'You better have an abortion because if you don't, either way, we are going to take that child from you'," Liz says.

New research shows the forced sterilization of Indigenous women is not just a shameful part of Canadian history. Reports from Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario and the territories suggest it is still happening.
Source: https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/sterilization-indigenous-1.4902303

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
This thread will die because nobody seems to give a fuck about aboriginal people in Canada and the US. It is disgusting and nobody gives a damn.

Landford

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, what the fuck? Werent you supposed to be the good ones, Canada? That is some straight Nazi shit holy fucking hell.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
The indigenous situation in Canada has always been terrible. It's just one of those things that doesn't get a lot of air time in the media. The USA sadly, isn't much better. In this one aspect, both Canada and the USA have a lot in common. Both have really done wrong, by several orders of magnitude, for generations, against the first nation tribes and other indigenous people.

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Canada at least has a leader trying to do good.

Nope. Trudeau is ignoring native protests to pipelines and forcing it through despite the province and native leaders vetoing it.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4147763/trudeau-failed-b-c-indigenous-leaders/
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/sep/26/trudeau-romeo-saganash-indigenous-rights-parliament

He doesn't give a fuck. All he does it talk. His actions are directly against the native population. He could do so much for them but that doesn't get him the liberal vote or daily news hour tagline.

Guy even has a Haida tattoo as if that makes him invested in it somehow

MAC43_TRUDEAUTATTOO_FEATURE01-1.jpg

Last edited:

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that it is STILL happening is maddening. Despite all the talk about being a more progressive country, they haven't learned shit.

OP
OP
Caz

Caz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Wait, what the fuck? Werent you supposed to be the good ones, Canada? That is some straight Nazi shit holy fucking hell.
Canada has a long and shameful history of mistreatment when it comes to indigenous people, the most well known example being the cultural genocide that was residential schools. Hell, this isn't the only abhorrent practice from 40+ years ago that's still around today.

Felt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Well well well. Good job Canada. Not such a wonderful utopia after all huh

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Canada has a long and shameful history of mistreatment when it comes to indigenous people, the most well known example being the cultural genocide that was residential schools. Hell, this isn't the only abhorrent practice from 40+ years ago that's still around today.

Canada also openly practiced eugenics policies up until relatively recently -- Alberta and BC only stopped forced sterilizations in the early 1970s.

Deleted member 2625

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it's super fucked up. this story surfaced about a year ago.

Canada does a lot of things right but our treatment of First Nations people is definitely, definitely not one of them.

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Read the article, still a bit confused as to why this is happening? Are racist doctors sterilizing Indigenous women after childbirth and claiming that's standard?

JK-Money

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
it's super fucked up. this story surfaced about a year ago.

Canada does a lot of things right but our treatment of First Nations people is definitely, definitely not one of them.

It's one of the reasons why I don't support the Indian Act. The entire country needs to repeal it and put in something that's more workable and respectful towards our indigenous population.

Easy Rider

Nov 2, 2017
North America is so hypocrite. Look at all Latin America and how many indigenous or mixed race people you find, then check North America. But the problem is Columbus, fuck Columbus, they say.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
[The submission to the UN Committee Against Torture] also outlines specific steps to combat the practice, including criminalizing forced sterilization through the Criminal Code and having Health Canada issue guidance to health professionals regarding sterilization procedures.
It's... not... criminalised... already???

No words. That's monstrous.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
To be honest, it's not something that is unique to Canada and the US (for example, Sweden: https://www.theguardian.com/world/1999/mar/06/stephenbates)

(don't get me wrong, it's terrible)

You'd be hard-pressed to find a major country that hasn't had at least some dabbling with forced sterilization.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compulsory_sterilization

Just look at the list. And that's not getting into the murkier realm of chemical castration, which inherently forces sterility.

Oct 26, 2017
This thread will die because nobody seems to give a fuck about aboriginal people in Canada and the US. It is disgusting and nobody gives a damn.
I hope you're wrong.

I read about this earlier and wasn't surprised that this is still a modern reality. Aboriginal people get run roughshod by people on all sides of the political spectrum.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Still happening. I urge people to read the article. It's horrifying and heartbreaking.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Read the article, still a bit confused as to why this is happening? Are racist doctors sterilizing Indigenous women after childbirth and claiming that's standard?

This article may be referring to the same case, but I remember a news article from a couple of years back that detailed an indigenous, mentally-impaired woman that had gone through several childbirths. The woman was coerced into sterilization or the woman was unknowingly sterilized -- I can't remember the exact details. At any rate, either one of these situations are heinous because of the flagrant lack of consent.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
I'm wondering now if my Mother's pending application for dual Canadian citizenship will be rejected because her father was First Nation. She has the benefit of appearing to be an ordinary white woman because of her mother, but my aunt and uncle weren't as lucky. I'd be curious to see if all 3 of them applied whether my Mom would be approved and her siblings denied.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
It's pretty gross, and the treatment and attitude towards aboriginal people here in Canada is...rocky, to say the least.

Having said that:

New research shows the forced sterilization of Indigenous women is not just a shameful part of Canadian history. Reports from Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario and the territories suggest it is still happening.

I want to see those receipts. It wouldn't surprise me if it does happen, but knowing where and when is important.

It's a little out of my scope but I'm currently doing some research on surgical procedures, and I can pull tubal ligation procedures by location and socio-economic class. The only thing I can't also retrieve is the circumstances of consent. Still, it would be interesting to know if that procedure is more common in aboriginal populations as that's what I'd expect given the article's comments.

edit - Tubal Ligation is CCI 1.RF.51

Last edited:

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
For being such a progressive country, Canada sure treats its indigenous people like crap.

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
North America is so hypocrite. Look at all Latin America and how many indigenous or mixed race people you find, then check North America. But the problem is Columbus, fuck Columbus, they say.
The treatment of Indians is not much better in Latin American. Look up Guatemalan genocide and Brazil's teatment of Indians in the Amazon.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
This is why I scoff at people when they say that Canada doesn't have racism issues... it's just a different shade.

Note, this isn't whataboutism or trying to defend racism in the US, that shit is fucked up everywhere.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
Ya Trudeau is not popular with First Nation government bodies right now. There was a lot of hype when he came to power but it has not materialized. His promised Indigenous Languages legislation is still nowhere to be found I am pretty sure.

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru
Jesus, that happened in Peru and it was absolutely disgusting. Trudeau better do something about this because you cant ignore this shit.