• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
The treatment of the indigenous population in this country since.... ever... is just disgusting.

I love Canada, I wouldn't want to live anywhere else in the world and I mean that, but we need to talk about stuff like this way more.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The treatment of the indigenous population in this country since.... ever... is just disgusting.

I love Canada, I wouldn't want to live anywhere else in the world and I mean that, but we need to talk about stuff like this way more.

Definitely. I think Canada is about as good as we're gonna get as far as countries go, but that doesn't mean fucked up stuff doesn't happen here. The indigenous have been systematically fucked over for centuries.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
You also get Canadians who think that all of these issues were decades ago so Indigenous people should just get over it. The amount of times I have heard from people that they should get over it like the Jews or that they don't pay taxes is too great to count.

GeoGonzo

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Madrid, Spain
North America is so hypocrite. Look at all Latin America and how many indigenous or mixed race people you find, then check North America. But the problem is Columbus, fuck Columbus, they say.
Good job Spain on not being as proficient at genocide, I guess? Nah! We can condemn all colonialism without needing to rank it. It was all disgusting.

Moppeh

Oct 28, 2017
Seems like a huge oversight that this isn't included in the criminal code.

You also get Canadians who think that all of these issues were decades ago so Indigenous people should just get over it. The amount of times I have heard from people that they should get over it like the Jews or that they don't pay taxes is too great to count.

Canadians, in general, need to be more engaged with these sort of things. I wonder how many Canadians haven't even visited a First Nations reserve or a northern Aboriginal community.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
This is quite well known and disgusting. I am sure this happened in Australia and New Zealand as well. Canada has a massive debt to its indigenous people.

Easy Rider

Nov 2, 2017
Good job Spain on not being as proficient at genocide, I guess? Nah! We can condemn all colonialism without needing to rank it. It was all disgusting.

I have no simpathy for Spain's colonial endeavours but I disagree, it can absolutely be ranked and North America is bottom of the barrel.

The treatment of Indians is not much better in Latin American. Look up Guatemalan genocide and Brazil's teatment of Indians in the Amazon.

The point I was making and you missed is all these countries have an overwhelming majority of the population with native american ancestry, literally hundreds of millions of people, something that can't really be said for the USA and Canada is it. Indians is everybody.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017
Unknown
Nope. Trudeau is ignoring native protests to pipelines and forcing it through despite the province and native leaders vetoing it.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4147763/trudeau-failed-b-c-indigenous-leaders/
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/sep/26/trudeau-romeo-saganash-indigenous-rights-parliament

He doesn't give a fuck. All he does it talk. His actions are directly against the native population. He could do so much for them but that doesn't get him the liberal vote or daily news hour tagline.

Guy even has a Haida tattoo as if that makes him invested in it somehow

MAC43_TRUDEAUTATTOO_FEATURE01-1.jpg
What about the Aboriginal appointments to the Senate? Or the work towards Métis self-governance?
That's more than talk. Do these mean nothing to you? As a member of the Aboriginal community of Canada they mean a lot to me.
Also some First Nations do support the pipelines. Do their voices not matter?

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
What about the Aboriginal appointments to the Senate? Or the work towards Métis self-governance?
That's more than talk. Do these mean nothing to you? As a member of the Aboriginal community of Canada they mean a lot to me.
Results matter to me. Appointments mean squat. 25% of our nationwide homeless population is aboriginal, highest level of poverty for a ethnic group. Those actually matter. No large improvements in those regards.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Canada fucking over Indigenous people? Not surprised at all and sadly nobody will actually care.

Phrozenflame500

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Some Indigenous women interviewed for the report also felt pushed into signing consent forms for the procedures while they were in active labour or on operating tables, Boyer says, noting a class-action lawsuit against the Saskatoon Health Region was launched in 2017 by two of the affected women.
what the fuck. feds need to intervene asap

Oct 31, 2017
Unknown
On topic, sterilization is a horrible thing that is still happening and does come up in community discussions.
About a year ago ago while I was riding along with a community worker there was a woman who shared her experiences with this and it was shocking to hear that it was still happening. It's terrible that it's happening but it's good that these stories are getting published and awareness is being raised.

Oct 31, 2017
Unknown
Results matter to me. Appointments mean squat. 25% of our nationwide homeless population is aboriginal, highest level of poverty for a ethnic group. Those actually matter. No large improvements in those regards.
And that is a complicated problem not easily dealt with solely on a federal level.
You can feel as you do about those appointments but the importance of representation with these appointments do matter.
It also appears the substantial work with the Métis and the opinions of First Nations that support the pipelines don't matter to you either.

Avinash117

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck Canada for doing something so heinous like that and still continuing after all their progressive talk. I thought Canada was better than that.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
There were about 3,800 tubal ligations performed last fiscal year here in Alberta, and aboriginal women were actually underrepresented compared to the rest of the population. On the surface, of course, that doesn't mean it doesn't still happen but the article seriously needs some sourcing for that statement.

New research shows the forced sterilization of Indigenous women is not just a shameful part of Canadian history. Reports from Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario and the territories suggest it is still happening.

I read the report that Boyer was a part of:

https://www.saskatoonhealthregion.c...ginal_Women_BoyerandBartlett_July_22_2017.pdf

It's dry and formatted horrendously but still kind of interesting.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
That most recent supreme court ruling where it said that no consultation is necessary with First Nation governments is another huge problem where things are going backwards instead of forwards.

OP
OP
Caz

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
There were about 3,800 tubal ligations performed last fiscal year here in Alberta, and aboriginal women were actually underrepresented compared to the rest of the population. On the surface, of course, that doesn't mean it doesn't still happen but the article seriously needs some sourcing for that statement.

https://www.saskatoonhealthregion.c...ginal_Women_BoyerandBartlett_July_22_2017.pdf

I wouldn't draw any conclusions from a single year in a single province.

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
Nope. Trudeau is ignoring native protests to pipelines and forcing it through despite the province and native leaders vetoing it.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4147763/trudeau-failed-b-c-indigenous-leaders/
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/sep/26/trudeau-romeo-saganash-indigenous-rights-parliament

He doesn't give a fuck. All he does it talk. His actions are directly against the native population. He could do so much for them but that doesn't get him the liberal vote or daily news hour tagline.

Guy even has a Haida tattoo as if that makes him invested in it somehow

MAC43_TRUDEAUTATTOO_FEATURE01-1.jpg

I'm conflicted about the pipelines. On the one hand I am generally against the idea but at the same time it's becoming a critical matter for us to become independent from corrupt and authoritarian regimes like Saudi Arabia and the US.

zon

Oct 28, 2017
I'm a little surprised that this is such a shock to people here, you guys really didn't know that most Western countries performed forced sterilizations during the 20th century? I think that, in general, the practice stopped in the 1970's.

In Sweden they would target mentally/physically handicapped people, mentally ill people, criminals and people belonging to unwanted social/ethnic groups. Anyone with what society would consider 'bad' genes was at risk.

JK-Money

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not Canadian, but I see your point.
We have so much blood on our hands for how we took their land, took their children away from their parents, forced into Christianity to "take the indian out of the indian", stripped them away of their culture, identity, way of life. The amount of battle we've had with them. Its sickening and its amazing how we still get away with some stuff even today. Much like the states it needs to be called out by everyone especially white people who were the oppressors. I do my absolute best to integrate indigenous education and learning in all my classrooms, as well as start a boxing organisation where students from the school go to northern and southern first nations to participate in the sport of boxing but most important learn about their culture, way of life and spend time with them as well.

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I'm conflicted about the pipelines. On the one hand I am generally against the idea but at the same time it's becoming a critical matter for us to become independent from corrupt and authoritarian regimes like Saudi Arabia and the US.
And rely on who, China? Because the pipeline is to the west coast....

We are also building keystone XL which is for the US. All against Native protest and BC provincial protest.

All from a government who said they were committed to the environment and renewable resources.

Trudeau is the only environmentalist I know who owns a pipeline

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
I wouldn't draw any conclusions from a single year in a single province.

No, and I wish there was more available information. I can go back about 18 years here at most and have no access to other provinces as healthcare information is a general mess in Canada.

I wish the article had some more information, though. To drop a bombshell stating that it's still happening and then just moving on without elaboration is weird.

And if it is still happening is it something systemic in the health system or is it more a result of residual prejudice from physician to physician?

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
As a Canadian, this is fucking abhorrent. Disgustingly abhorrent. Canada's history when treating the indigenous folks have been terrible dark spot for most part.

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018

Yes we hear this a lot. Most people think everything is great for Indigenous people... Here near Quebec City there is Wendake and they are doing pretty well, so they think hey everything is fine get over it... and hey, they have low priced gas and they don't pay taxes!!!

The situation is much more complicated. Some communities are living in terrible poverty. I honestly think things are getting slowly better but we are far from solving the problem...

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA

If you don't have the authority to give that information to the author you should put them in contact with someone who does. It's important for accurate information to be disseminated when dealing with an issue as serious as this is.

Zip

Oct 28, 2017
Don't understand why that would be happening. Monstrous people to force such things on others. Obviously needs to stop immediately if it is still going. Article is unclear as to whether this was systemic or racist individuals or what.

Needs to be investigated for more information.

OP
OP
Caz

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Don't understand why that would be happening. Monstrous people to force such things on others. Obviously needs to stop immediately if it is still going. Article is unclear as to whether this was systemic or racist individuals or what.
Racism towards indigenous people in Canada is systemic. This is not some isolated incident; Canada has engaged in maltreatment since its very creation (i.e. no indigenous leaders were invited to any talks of Confederation. It goes even further back if you look into New France's slavery).

Last edited:

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018

Needs to be investigated for more information.

I hope it is not systemic. I can't believe it is right now, but hey, I have been wrong before.

Zip

Oct 28, 2017
Racism towards indigenous people in Canada is systemic. This is not some isolated incident; Canada has engaged in maltreatment since its very creation (i.e. no indigenous leaders were invited to any talks of Confederation. It goes even further back if you look into New France's slavery).

I know there is systemic racism in Canada towards indigenous people. I meant more specifically in this instance if it was system level or individuals acting on their own.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
In a perfect world, some of these abhorrent monsters would be put on trial and made an example of.
I know there is systemic racism in Canada towards indigenous people. I meant more specifically in this instance if it was system level or individuals acting on their own.
Individuals acting on their own... but the willfulness to not hold them accountable for their heinous crimes is systemic.

Cheesy

Oct 30, 2017
I can't wait until we can get rid of that useless muppet of a leader we have, hopefully we can get somebody who isn't all talk to replace him, this shit is horrible.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton

I'd like to know this too. Initially it was absolutely systemic - Alberta's sterilization law (1928 to 1972) and BC's sterilization law (1933 to 1973) were enacted for that exact reason, although pretty much all the other provinces did it anyway. Aboriginal people were over represented by about a factor of ten.

It seems to have fallen off rather sharply in the following decades, but I'd really love to know where this 'it's still happening' information in the article is coming from. I know there are many hoops to jump through for any forced sterilization procedure (involving court proceedings and a lawyer for whoever is deemed mentally unfit) and if there are rogue physicians misleading patients then that's a pretty big goddamn deal, not just a throwaway sentence.

Oct 25, 2017
canada
Seems like a huge oversight that this isn't included in the criminal code.

Canadians, in general, need to be more engaged with these sort of things. I wonder how many Canadians haven't even visited a First Nations reserve or a northern Aboriginal community.

Its required in the education system at least in BC to study aboriginal history, the residential schools, and to have several field trips from k-6 to the reserves longhouses and learn aboriginal history and spirituality from the chiefs themselves.

the investigation itself is being handled by a indigenous senator.

Darth Vapor

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Death Star
Where is the UN Human Rights Council? This seems like the type of horrific treatment of underprivileged people that should warrant severe retribution.

Oct 31, 2017
Unknown
Yes we hear this a lot. Most people think everything is great for Indigenous people... Here near Quebec City there is Wendake and they are doing pretty well, so they think hey everything is fine get over it... and hey, they have low priced gas and they don't pay taxes!!!

The situation is much more complicated. Some communities are living in terrible poverty. I honestly think things are getting slowly better but we are far from solving the problem...
This is a good point. But you're right, things are slowly getting better. This government has done some work addressing First Nations concerns and raising awareness. However, there is a lot that needs to be addressed and balanced.
As you mentioned perception is a big issue. Aboriginals are more than homeless people and environmentalists and it is extremely offensive seeing remarks that focus on these issues to define what solely should be considered positive work with Aboriginal people. That the Aboriginal appointments to the Senate are worthless in combating this type of perception is shameful and seemingly racist. It's like First Nations have to fit particular definitions and they can't support a pipeline or work on federal legislation because that's not what they believe First Nations people should be.