• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mr.Mike

Oct 25, 2017
I'd also recommend the podcast Thunder Bay, which while not about this specifically, does a good job giving a sense of the issue of racism in Canada.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Well this is horrendous to read. Rather than make some comment about the Canadian's proclivity towards superiority complexes here, I'll ask- what can we do to help right this?

Oct 31, 2017
Unknown
Well this is horrendous to read. Rather than make some comment about the Canadian's proclivity towards superiority complexes here, I'll ask- what can we do to help right this?
The article in the OP mentions various actions being taken which could no doubt use support.
This one by Amnesty International may be helpful in bringing justice and stopping those that are guilty of coercion and performing these sterilizations.
Amnesty International Canada also plans to raise awareness at the UN torture committee. It's also calling on the federal government to appoint a special representative to hear from Indigenous women coerced into sterilization procedures — to learn what justice would look like for them.
The study the Senator wants to start would be helpful in uncovering how widespread and who else may be involved. This will take time and a consistent government focus.

Mr.Mike

Oct 25, 2017
In its submission to the committee, Lombard's firm calls out provincial and federal authorities for not investigating and punishing those responsible for the practice despite having received "numerous reports of numerous cases of forced sterilization."

It also outlines specific steps to combat the practice, including criminalizing forced sterilization through the Criminal Code and having Health Canada issue guidance to health professionals regarding sterilization procedures.

I expect that Health Canada will issue a guidance along these lines in the next few weeks, now that this issue is picking up some attention. The change to the Criminal Code is also something that the Liberals would probably be open to doing, and they'd put it on the docket, but it'd probably take some public pressure to get it prioritized and passed in a timely manner (probably still months at best but before the next election should still be possible). That said the Criminal Code changes probably wouldn't happen until after an investigative committee and a report and that sort of rigmarole.

New research shows the forced sterilization of Indigenous women is not just a shameful part of Canadian history. Reports from Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario and the territories suggest it is still happening.

There are currently Senate vacancies for Yukon, the Northwest Territories, Ontario and Nova Scotia. If you know of anyone who would be a good Senator on this issue from one of those places consider nominating them for a Senate appointment. I think this article is a good example of the good things good Senators can do.

CrocoDuck

Oct 28, 2017
North America is so hypocrite. Look at all Latin America and how many indigenous or mixed race people you find, then check North America. But the problem is Columbus, fuck Columbus, they say.

Latin Americans don't treat their indigenous populations well at all. Many Latin Americans are taught to be ashamed of indigenous people or their indigenous heritage (which many of them do). They are still perpetually marginalized and discriminated against. The only reason you don't hear about it is because Latin Americans like to pretend they don't exist, so their problems/representation are hardly ever heard.

This may differ slightly in few countries like Peru, Bolivia and Guatemala, where they make up a larger portion of the population/national/cultural identity, but the same cannot be said elsewhere.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
The article in the OP mentions various actions being taken which could no doubt use support.
This one by Amnesty International may be helpful in bringing justice and stopping those that are guilty of coercion and performing these sterilizations.

The study the Senator wants to start would be helpful in uncovering how widespread and who else may be involved. This will take time and a consistent government focus.
Yeah the senator taking it up and the lawsuit are heartening. Hope this is able to change things.

Oct 25, 2017
Amazing. I was reading this thread and recalled some dude with an inferiority complex toward Canada frequenting such threads might might show up and..... well, hello! I can only hope our apparent superiority complex dovetails with your inferiority complex and we all experience complete harmony.

I started a new job a few months ago where I work directly and indirectly with First Nations in BC. Virtually every new provincial policy now has indigenous people at the forefront (particularly w/r/t rural communities, working with the FNHA, etc) and every government employee gets hours of training related to indigenous people. That said, despite high-level and ground-level efforts, the cycle of poverty and abuse in rural communities is still so prevalent and will take generations to break. Inclusion is what is most important, but the communities where most indigenous people live are highly segregated along class lines, not to mention ethnic.

Institutional discrimination can be removed and government can be rehabilitated, but the roots in the communities are hard to repair. BC isn't specified in this article, but it still suffers from the exact same legacy as other provinces.

I'm curious if/how the Senator has approached the federal government with this (ie, incidences of forced sterilization). There needs to be a full investigation and I'm not sure how the government could justify any other response. Truth & Reconciliation is made so hollow without consistent action on every front.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Despicable. I see a lot of Canadian users here (well, I assume that's what they are), complaining that people bring up the Indigineous stuff to "smear" Canada, but honestly, reading this story, Canada deserves people flinging shit on them for this. How can an otherwise liberal society ignore this Nazi bullshit?

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Amazing. I was reading this thread and recalled some dude with an inferiority complex toward Canada frequenting such threads might might show up and..... well, hello! I can only hope our apparent superiority complex dovetails with your inferiority complex and we all experience complete harmony.

I started a new job a few months ago where I work directly and indirectly with First Nations in BC. Virtually every new provincial policy now has indigenous people at the forefront (particularly w/r/t rural communities, working with the FNHA, etc) and every government employee gets hours of training related to indigenous people. That said, despite high-level and ground-level efforts, the cycle of poverty and abuse in rural communities is still so prevalent and will take generations to break. Inclusion is what is most important, but the communities where most indigenous people live are highly segregated along class lines, not to mention ethnic.

Institutional discrimination can be removed and government can be rehabilitated, but the roots in the communities are hard to repair. BC isn't specified in this article, but it still suffers from the exact same legacy as other provinces.

I'm curious if/how the Senator has approached the federal government with this (ie, incidences of forced sterilization). There needs to be a full investigation and I'm not sure how the government could justify any other response. Truth & Reconciliation is made so hollow without consistent action on every front.
You must be thinking of someone else. I love Canada and think it's superior to the US in almost every way that actually matters to the average citizen. What I don't love is the few small minded posters on here that have zero ability or interest in having rational conversations about Canada or Canadian US relations.

Oct 27, 2017
Without being given any concrete examples, I'd have to imagine the issue here is lack of completely informed consent rather than "forced" sterilizations. This topic is probably substantially more nuanced than the reactions here make it out to be. But again, we don't have any concrete examples.

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017
Without being given any concrete examples, I'd have to imagine the issue here is lack of completely informed consent rather than "forced" sterilizations. This topic is probably substantially more nuanced than the reactions here make it out to be. But again, we don't have any concrete examples.

From what I recall from previous topic on the previous site, it had to do with people consistently got pregnant while unable to raise them, depositing them into the social services. Doctors ''highly suggested" that if they didn't want to repeat the problem of having unwanted children, they proceed with sterilization.

This coercion is wrong. If they didn't understand the procedure or ramifications fully, then it shouldn't have happened.

Boyer now wants the Senate to study the scope of the issue nationally, making it the focus of her first address to the upper chamber.

There's not really enough information, which is why I think it's important to proceed with the study. Make sure that if it is still happening that it must immediately stop.

Sentilly

Oct 25, 2017
41769404_505920909875449_499839366788767599_n.jpg

Cuzzin Saganash spreading the truth

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
fuck this is depressing, how can this be going on? seems like a direct violation of human rights.

christ canada get your shit together.

Oct 25, 2017
This is sickening to hear. It's one sign of many in my view of how far our civilizations are from being anywhere close to just, with how we've continued to mistreat and/or neglect our native populations. If any of you out west have ever been to a Najavo reservation for example, you can probably attest to how much of a wake up call it is.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
The bigger question is why is this only 4 pages? Why is this not one of those massive race related threads. Are these people not good enough to fall on people's radar here? They were here before all of us. It's like a damn silent agreement to sweep them under the rug.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely disgusting.

The bigger question is why is this only 4 pages? Why is this not one of those massive race related threads. Are these people not good enough to fall on people's radar here? They were here before all of us. It's like a damn silent agreement to sweep them under the rug.
The sad truth is that almost no one gives a shit about indigenous people in Canada.

Oct 31, 2017
Unknown
The sad truth is that almost no one gives a shit about indigenous people in Canada.
That's unfortunately the truth. Often the only support many publicly display for indigenous people is really only for themselves and their interests. They use indigenous people and their issues to attack their political opponents. The truth of who is helping indigenous people often getting buried in the lies and appeals to emotion.Often bringing up tangential issues to distract from the one at hand.
However, there are some who are out there making genuine efforts to help and they shouldn't be forgotten. Their number is slowly growing with awareness and some government efforts and is helping give indigenous people a stronger voice.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
I remember reading about this a while back, but it was presented as part of the shameful past. I had no idea it was still happening. Holy fuck.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not convinced if more people knew it was happening, that they'd care. Same with the forced sterilizations in the United States, I think a lot of people think it's okay because there's a theater of consent. Or they're just straight up eugenicists. I hope Canadians will fight for policies that leave absolutely no room for coercion. And all those doctors and professionals who did this shit are never allowed to practice again.

Deleted member 8583

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
In Mexico this also happens, specially in rural areas. Honestly, all of the America continent should be ashamed of the treatment of indigenous people.

And from the people of Canada, Canadian mining companies (with the full collaboration of the Mexican government) are deplorable for their treatment of indigenous people in Mexico and the rest of America:

https://www.globalresearch.ca/canad...s-and-campesino-communities-in-mexico/5613567

Mexico for the first time in their democratic history elected a president slightly to the left and promised changes it that issue. We will see.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
That's fucking horrible and disgusting. I don't even know what else to say. Just awful. Human beings can be so damn terrible to one another.

TheHyde

Oct 29, 2017
In Mexico this also happens, specially in rural areas. Honestly, all of the America continent should be ashamed of the treatment of indigenous people.

True, but if you want to really look deeper into the treatment of indigenous people on a more general level, every single country now and in history who has or has had indigenous people has treated them badly. Some of course way worse than others but altogether this is a huge global issue that I unfortunately do not see fixed soon if not ever. Progress has been made, of course, but not a single country is on a level where you could honestly say indigenous people have the same possibilities as the majority.

Dynedom

Nov 1, 2017
This is definitely a dark element of the country that nobody seems to want to really discuss (at least in Parliament).

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Wow. This is happening right now? This is something I expected to be done away in a place like Canada decades ago. If anything, I would expect them to be apologizing for it right now.

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
Despicable. I see a lot of Canadian users here (well, I assume that's what they are), complaining that people bring up the Indigineous stuff to "smear" Canada, but honestly, reading this story, Canada deserves people flinging shit on them for this. How can an otherwise liberal society ignore this Nazi bullshit?
Gloriousss post.

OP
OP
Caz

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Pseudo-update: https://www.cbc.ca/news/indigenous/trc-concerns-coerced-sterilizations-murray-sinclair-1.4917321
The Truth and Reconciliation Commission heard concerns about coerced sterilization of Indigenous women during its years-long examination of Canada's residential school legacy, Sen. Murray Sinclair said Thursday as he joined a chorus of calls for a national investigation on the issue.

Sinclair, who chaired the commission, said cases brought to his commission's attention generally involved women who were under the supervision of a child-welfare case worker or a social worker from a child welfare agency.

As chairman of the TRC, Sinclair spent six years documenting Canada's residential school legacy — a government-funded, church-operated assimilation program from the 1870s to 1996 — and issued 94 recommendations, including several involving child-welfare reform.

"It (coerced sterilization) was in fact an issue in Saskatchewan that had been raised with us," Sinclair, who was appointed to the Senate in 2016, told The Canadian Press on Thursday.

"We suggested that there needed to be an evaluation of the child welfare system's involvement in this."

Sinclair now joins a growing list of people and groups, including Sen. Yvonne Boyer, Assembly of First Nations National Chief Perry Bellegarde and Amnesty International Canada, who are concerned about allegations that Indigenous women were pressured into tubal ligations.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
North Americans of European descent have no chill. Y'all won, chill the fuck out.

And with the whole missing women thing, the implication is non-natives are going rape and kidnap happy right? Disgusting, same people on their moral high horse about how good their governments are.

Oct 31, 2017
Unknown
North Americans of European descent have no chill. Y'all won, chill the fuck out.

And with the whole missing women thing, the implication is non-natives are going rape and kidnap happy right? Disgusting, same people on their moral high horse about how good their governments are.
It''s disgusting that you think it is appropriate to use this tragedy as a platform to voice this petty personal issue.

Zoc

Oct 27, 2017
I can't understand how this kind of thing can continue on so long. It seems so easy to fix: you just stop force-sterilizing women. This isn't like climate change or brexit ffs.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It''s disgusting that you think it is appropriate to use this tragedy as a platform to voice this petty personal issue.
Platform for what? US and Canada are constantly chastising countries overseas as being backwards. Violence against non-white ethnic groups gets swept under the rug 24/7. How y'all treat the lowest of the low is the real you, miss me with the performative wokeness.

Last edited:

Karasseram

Jan 15, 2018
Holy fuck it's still happening?

This makes me fucking sick Canada just went on the pile of shit countries.

Oct 31, 2017
Unknown
I can't understand how this kind of thing can continue on so long. It seems so easy to fix: you just stop force-sterilizing women. This isn't like climate change or brexit ffs.
It`s basic human rights and body autonomy against medical justifications. Sinclair's statement seems to imply that he trusted(at the time) the reports he'd seen from social workers overseeing some of these sterilizations that crossed his desk. It may mean those cases met the thresholds of law at the time. However, he did think there should be an evaluation then. That he is pushing for the investigation now is significant. If their is any indication of abuse of the system due to suspicious activity an investigation should be started quickly.
It really shouldn't happen at all, there has got to be a better way, but before that, if there is suspicion of a covert criminal race related forced sterilization program being run within provincial jurisdictions it needs to be investigated and stopped.