• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
Indigenous women get 0 breaks from monstrous acts inflicted upon them. From Canada all the way to Guatemala they deserve justice and safety.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
You would think a nation that seems poised to try and take up a mantle of moral leadership in the world would make an effort to clean up their own damn house.

Anti

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
Australia
Are you telling some white people being shitty towards other races is not exclusive to America?

What a shock...

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Then someone should say you're poorly informed or lying.
What do you call a prime minster that campaign in electoral reform, environment preservation, Native American well being and has made major decisions counter to each of those three? All he cares about is how things look to the media. Fuck him

When he does something about suicide rates in Native American communities, takes consultation on large environmental impact that goes through Native American land, gets rid of his bullshit Tattoo then maybe you can tell me he gives a fuck about them. I work with the local Native Communites in the Summer and Winter and every time I return there are faces gone forever in the community.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
straight up genocide, are there actual written instructions to do this?
embarrassing that I have never heard of this and insane that it is still happening.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
Not sure why people are acting surprised here, I feel like literally everyone knows about this in Canada.

Nope. Trudeau is ignoring native protests to pipelines and forcing it through despite the province and native leaders vetoing it.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4147763/trudeau-failed-b-c-indigenous-leaders/
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/sep/26/trudeau-romeo-saganash-indigenous-rights-parliament

He doesn't give a fuck. All he does it talk. His actions are directly against the native population. He could do so much for them but that doesn't get him the liberal vote or daily news hour tagline.

Guy even has a Haida tattoo as if that makes him invested in it somehow

Because of a pipeline? You must not be sure how politics works. There is a give and take in everything and the pipeline was approved with risks and benefits weighed.
At least his party actually committed to an inquest in missing and murdered indigenous women.

B_Spooky13

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
My girlfriend is native American from Canada.. She says everytime she visits family that its horrible for them.. To the point of rape

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Not sure why people are acting surprised here, I feel like literally everyone knows about this in Canada.

Because of a pipeline? You must not be sure how politics works. There is a give and take in everything and the pipeline was approved with risks and benefits weighed.
At least his party actually committed to an inquest in missing and murdered indigenous women.
It's not just a pipeline, Jesus. It's the fact that there is almost nothing widespread being done to improve the situation for these people. Nothing.

A fucking holiday
Some more self governance

That's fuck all for a so called liberal

If Jack Layton hadn't died I am %100 sure he would be prime minister right now

Oct 31, 2017
Unknown
What do you call a prime minster that campaign in electoral reform, environment preservation, Native American well being and has made major decisions counter to each of those three? All he cares about is how things look to the media. Fuck him
He's also helped with legislation and in other ways that have been beneficial as has been pointed out. They just don't suit the narrative and agenda you're trying to advance by hijacking this tragic issue with your vendetta.
From your first post you've been using this tragedy as a platform not to draw specific attention to it or discuss it, you've been using First Nations as a means to advance your own political concerns.

Tezz

Oct 27, 2017
I'd heard of Canada's historic treatment of indigenous people, but I wouldn't have imagined that something like this was still occurring.

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
User Warned: Condescension and Hostility Towards Another User
He's also helped with legislation and in other ways that have been beneficial as has been pointed out. They just don't suit the narrative and agenda you're trying to advance by hijacking this tragic issue with your vendetta.
From your first post you've been using this tragedy as a platform not to draw specific attention to it or discuss it, you've been using First Nations as a means to advance your own political concerns.
I'm not going to be lectured by someone with your avatar about Native American issues. You can go back to day 1 of my account to see my push for Native American well being. But continue to defend your dear leader and idolize him over the well being of our most vulnerable. Keep thinking his bread crumbs that he tosses the Native communities is good enough for you to sleep okay with your vote.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
straight up genocide, are there actual written instructions to do this?
embarrassing that I have never heard of this and insane that it is still happening.

The act was intentionally vague so that people in power could interpret it how they wanted.

7. If, upon examination of any mentally defective person, the Board is unanimously of the opinion that the exercise of the power of procreation would result in the transmission to such person's progeny of any mental disability of deficiency, of that the exercise of the power of procreation by any such mentally defective person or to his progeny, the Board may direct in writing, such surgical operation for the sexual sterilization of such mentally defective person as may be specified in the written direction and shall appoint some competent surgeon to perform the operation.

Also keep in mind even this revision is some 80 years old.

Oct 31, 2017
Unknown
I'm not going to be lectured by someone with your avatar about Native American issues. You can go back to day 1 of my account to see my push for Native American well being. But continue to defend your dear leader and idolize him over the well being of our most vulnerable. Keep thinking his bread crumbs that he tosses the Native communities is good enough for you to sleep okay with your vote.
I am Aboriginal. As I mentioned to you in an earlier response to you. I've talked to people and heard directly from them by those affect by this and other issues. It seems fitting that my opinion means nothing to you.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Yep, it's absolutely monstrous what we keep on doing to our aboriginal people. This shit should have been fixed fucking decades ago and that our governments keep on ignoring it is abhorrent and we unfortunately keep on swinging between two parties that are determined to do shit all about it.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
It's not just a pipeline, Jesus. It's the fact that there is almost nothing widespread being done to improve the situation for these people. Nothing.

A fucking holiday
Some more self governance

That's fuck all for a so called liberal

If Jack Layton hadn't died I am %100 sure he would be prime minister right now
Layton never would have won sadly he was at his peak before he died and he couldnteven stop the cons from winning a majority

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I feel like First Nations/Native Americans discrimination is even more accepted than how African Americans are treated and we never really talk about it.
Yup. Look at the Red Skins / Indians in NFL and MLB. They don't even have anyone to represent them. And due to centuries of forced integration and rape anytime anyone does they are ignored because "You're not full Native!"

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I feel like First Nations/Native Americans discrimination is even more accepted than how African Americans are treated and we never really talk about it.
Your feelings are correct. We destroyed their culture, put them into shitty reserves, killed and raped them for centuries, then get mad when they ask for help from the people with the power to fix it.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Yup. Look at the Red Skins / Indians in NFL and MLB. They don't even have anyone to represent them. And due to centuries of forced integration and rape anytime anyone does they are ignored because "You're not full Native!"

Too few listen to First Nations voices unless what is being said agrees with their notions.
Otherwise it seems many people prefer First Nations to shut up and listen to what is good for them.

Your feelings are correct. We destroyed their culture, put them into shitty reserves, killed and raped them for centuries, then get mad when they ask for help from the people with the power to fix it.

Yep. I grew up in a town next to a reservation and I ended up working at an elementary school on that reservation for four or five years. I made a lot of home visits and saw a lot of that stuff first hand. It's absolutely heartbreaking.

I'm also a registered member of my tribe (Ottawa) but I'm about white as you can get, so growing up I got all the benefits but none of the negatives that those kids did.

MagicDoogies

Oct 31, 2017
That shit is so fucking disgusting.
It makes my blood boil. Especially when these same people want to be play 'concern fertility' for the lines of men and women who are begging them to make them sterile for a variety of moral and medical reasons and they refuse.
But they have no problems doing this to unsuspecting people just because of their race and background.

Tuppen

Nov 28, 2017
To be honest, it's not something that is unique to Canada and the US (for example, Sweden: https://www.theguardian.com/world/1999/mar/06/stephenbates
https://www.politico.eu/article/sam...multiculturalism-human-rights-discrimination/

(don't get me wrong, it's terrible)
I don't know if an article about Sweden paying compensation in the 90s to people affected by our horrible eugenics program that ended in the 70s is comparable to claims of similar activities today.

With regards to our Sami minority we absolutely do have similar problems with majority economical decisions regarding for example new mines that does not take Sami objections into enough consideration.

Oct 31, 2017
Unknown
It also doesn't help that when some progress is being made it is minimized or ignored. First Nations getting shuffled along by competing political groups with different agendas. If progress that is made could be recognized that would help with the issues that aren't being addressed. It would help bring clarity on who is helping and who isn't. The misinformation by political activists that use First Nations to attack their political opponents is harming FN in the crossfire and distracting from being able to create a working relationship where a clear understanding of who is really at fault and what can be done by various levels of government and the community to fix things.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People don't care about Native Americans. Don't care in the US where they're systemically abused, have the highest suicide rate, highest substance dependence, highest crime rates and lowest per capita income. People don't care about them in Canada, where they're STILL having their land stolen from them, forced sterilizations and ethnic cleansing. ETHNIC CLEANSING, IN 2018, IN A FIRST WORLD COUNTRY.

The only country in the North American grouping that treats it's Native ethnogroups with any sort of dignity is Mexico.

haxan

Oct 25, 2017
Check out the podcast Missing and Murdered: Finding Cleo for an especially heartbreaking story related to Canada's treatment of indigenous people.

Gugi40

Mar 7, 2018
Canada
Yeah Native people have been hosting peaceful protests for years about not only this but the Highway of Tears and how aboriginal women are basically being treated like dust in the wind. Even in school we BARELY learned about the residential schools and sterilization, and when I say barely I mean teachers mentioned it.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
It's disgusting and deplorable how Indigenous children, women, etc. were treated in this country in the past. Sickening to think about.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
Im interested in seeing what the "reports from alberta etc..." Are because anywhere that is happening should immediately be called out and destroyed obviously.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
It's easier for Trudeau to shed a few crocodile tears than to actually do anything about any of these issues.

Oct 31, 2017
Unknown
Senator Boyer, a MĂ©tis, who is the one calling for the Senate investigation into this was a Senate appointment made by PM Trudeau earlier this year.
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has picked Métis lawyer Yvonne Boyer to sit in the Senate and represent Ontario — the first Indigenous person appointed to the Red Chamber from that province.

A lawyer and scholar, Boyer has spent much of her career working on improving the delivery of health care services to Canada's Indigenous peoples.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/ontario-first-indigenou-senator-yvonne-boyer-1.4577578

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Yea Canadian here. Indigenous are treated like shit. Their living conditions are abhorrent, what was done to them is disgusting. And no one really gives a shit, it is crazy. I don't know why we don't have government initiatives to help them, like build better houses or ship supplies to remote locations.

Groceries are ridiculously expensive in many places. $15 for eggs?!

https://tvo.org/article/current-affairs/-the-high-cost-of-food-on-first-nations-reserves

Oct 31, 2017
Unknown
What the fuck...

This is disgusting.

Indigenous Canadians: how can we help?
Finding ways to support the Senator's initiative could help it gain traction. Keeping awareness of the issue. Stopping others from taking advantage of the tragedy to advance their own political agendas. Calling out and stopping sources of misinformation by those who are working against those in government who are supporting First Nations.

Zoc

Oct 27, 2017
Some doctors really develop a kind of god complex over their patients, but forced sterilization of "mental defectives" is literally Nazi shit. These doctors need to be moved out of First Nations hospitals and any antique laws enabling need to be scrapped yesterday.

Eila

Oct 27, 2017
Alberto Fujimori of Peru has just been denounced of doing exactly this, and this was in the 90s. It's a thing.

Swauny Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yea Canadian here. Indigenous are treated like shit. Their living conditions are abhorrent, what was done to them is disgusting. And no one really gives a shit, it is crazy. I don't know why we don't have government initiatives to help them, like build better houses or ship supplies to remote locations.

Groceries are ridiculously expensive in many places. $15 for eggs?!

https://tvo.org/article/current-affairs/-the-high-cost-of-food-on-first-nations-reserves

All of this is horrible. But the Canadian government is finally acknowledging this and have been putting in drastic measures to fix and make up for their transgressions when it comes to indigenous people over the past few years. In Ontario specifically they've made great strides. Unfortunately Premier Ford is going out of his way to remove some of the recent programs that have been put in place to help out indigenous people in Ontario.