• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, no shit.

I'd rather they take their time and make a great game. As opposed to so many other Kickstarter projects that ended up releasing, even after delays in most cases, and ended up being amateur hour.

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
Do we have comparisons of that? Just out of curiosity.

Any pictures of what compromises they made?

Here are some of the redesigns.

061993.jpg

baozhaiHeader-768x432.jpg

fc1.png

latest

latest

stand.gif

C-7Htk5WsAEg2nf.jpg

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
Zero problems with this tbh. They've done a really good job of keeping us backers in the loop, and it's tremendously clear that they're making something super cool.

If they need the extra time, they've certainly earned it.

Wizzly

Jan 10, 2018
I was very disappointed about another indie game like Festival of Magic, the game was very clunky and we had to wait before getting a new version with lot of improvments.
I think it's a good decision, they must deliver a great game.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Considering they're constantly communicating with backers and being pretty open about their development process, I have no problem with it.

MattWilsonCSS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That kind of thing isn't really out of the ordinary. It's basically the difference between regular models and distance models in hand drawn animation. Too much detail becomes a readability concern when the characters are shrunk down to fit video game staging. It becomes too busy. And naturally any detail line removal is helpful for reducing the time it takes to animate the characters, while also ensuring better linework consistency.

Fighting game characters can have slightly more detail because they are framed much closer to the camera, whereas a platformer like Indivisible needs to have the characters be smaller so that the field of view is not claustrophobic (like, say, the Gameboy Mega Man games), so too much detail actually becomes unnecessary.

In this case, the redesigns to outfits serve a similar purpose, to streamline aspects of the character, maintaining the silhouette and also making sure it looks good on the screen at the expected size. Although that last character looks completely different, maybe they decided to go in a different direction with that guy.

Deleted member 41271

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 21, 2018
I backed them on kickstarter, and definitely support this. It's expected, really, games that look like this take time.

Lol why? This isn't even true anymore. Rainbow Six Siege, Diablo 3 and Destiny Taken King says HI.

The quote does not mean that a game that is delayed is automatically good, but that releasing it early is always bad.

Which is true. Polishing is the most important part of game development next to good core design.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
It was expected but after MN09, Shovel Knight, and Bloodstained all got delayed, I stopped backing games on Kickstarter. Will support when it's out.
I don't expect games, even by big developers, to come out when initially scheduled much less indie games by smaller developers. This doesn't make me not support them. They need the money, much more than big companies, even make the game happen.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't expect games, even by big developers, to come out when initially scheduled much less indie games by smaller developers. This doesn't make me not support them. They need the money, much more than big companies, even make the game happen.

I will support them when the game is able to be purchased. Other people can front the cost, I've done my fair share.

Deleted member 41271

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
I will support them when the game is able to be purchased. Other people can front the cost, I've done my fair share.

No obligation to support kickstarters. :) If your personal decision is that delays mean you should hold off, this is for the better, in fact - people that add to kickstarters, then get angry at a delay, tend to hurt the reputation of the product even when it turns out great. This way, everyone wins.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Not surprised. The game looks like an incredible undertaking and hand-drawn animations on the level Lab Zero delivers takes tons of time.

Let it happen. I hope they make something extra amazing under some delay.
Yup, it looks amazing and has so much potential, I don't mind the wait.

Oct 25, 2017
No problem with this. Not in a rush to have this game come out as long as it ends up being the quality successor to Valkyrie Profile it deserves to be.

Deleted member 9746

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's okay. Everything they share with us looks great but also incredibly time consuming and costly to make. Can't wait to play it!

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No obligation to support kickstarters. :) If your personal decision is that delays mean you should hold off, this is for the better, in fact - people that add to kickstarters, then get angry at a delay, tend to hurt the reputation of the product even when it turns out great. This way, everyone wins.

It's weird because I was on both ends of the spectrum.

Shovel Knight was amazing and exceeded my expectations and I praised it before and after it launched.

MN09 I ridiculed ever since it was apparent that Inafune was conning people.

Deleted member 1258

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Expected, but kinda happy they decided to do this. Updates have been kinda slow and sparse, so its good they're deciding to take their time.

Deleted member 1258

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Another big part of this is that from what I've seen, using Photoshop for clean-up is an annoying process. Maybe after this is released they're gonna take some time to look for alternate choices.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
I'm surprised they didn't change the date after getting funded honestly, never expected it to come out this year.

hersheyfan

Oct 25, 2017
Manila, Philippines
I'm completely fine with this delay, and have every confidence that Lab Zero will pull this off.

Considering that Lab Zero willingly put up their own money as equity to finish the development, this means

A) They have extra motivation to get the game out (i. e. not cancelled) and on a timely basis (to avoid burning too much extra money on dev costs). Taking the bridge funding from the publisher likely came with a firm commitment to get the game out by a specific date.

B) Their willingness to risk their funds shows that they have confidence in the final product's quality, as Indivisible's profits will be the source of their "repayment", so to speak.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
If it makes Indivisible even better, take all the time you need! But... is there anyway to slide them money for a Skullgirls 2 in the meantime? Other than the mobile game?

Wetwork

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
This is the only game I've backed on Kickstarter- and I trust lab zero, I have no qualms with delays

Besides the fact I gotta wait to play

RabidDwarf76

Oct 27, 2017
I will never be upset by a Dev delaying their game for more polish. Make it shine and I will happily wait.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
The delay is unfortunate because I was just talking to friends yesterday about how I'm looking forward to the game finally coming out "soon" hahahaha. But I just can't be mad at any delay because animation takes time and good animation requires patience. No one wants a rushed product and I would hope no one wants dead animators! 2019 already shaping up to have a few exciting titles judging from today's delays. :D

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Do indie games normally take 4 years to make?
Seems pretty crazy unless the team is extremely small or green.

This isn't an indie game. It's partially funded by the developer's own money from their previous game, partially funded by the $2,200,000 crowdfunding campaign they did for it, and the rest is funded by an outside publisher. This is basically a regular video game company, albeit more along the size of a small Japanese dev like Falcom than the massive developers you commonly see in the West.

A move like this is a risk since they're taking on more debt to finish it which places the bar for success that much higher. And if they don't make this new deadline & the publisher refuses to add more funds, they could be in serious trouble.

lambdaupsilon

Apr 17, 2018
This isn't an indie game. It's partially funded by the developer's own money from their previous game, partially funded by the $2,200,000 crowdfunding campaign they did for it, and the rest is funded by an outside publisher. This is basically a regular video game company, albeit more along the size of a small Japanese dev like Falcom than the massive developers you commonly see in the West.
Do they own the IP? Are they a private company? Are they small (say, <100 people)?
They're indie.

Soulstar

Oct 25, 2017

C-7Htk5WsAEg2nf.jpg

These are actually two different characters now.

I actually prefer most of the redesigns. Especially the plant girl who's name is escaping me at the moment. Nuna, maybe?

Do they own the IP? Are they a private company? Are they small (say, <100 people)?
They're indie.

I believe they actually own Indivisible. They are a company. I'm 93.5% certain that they are under 100 people.