• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 1258

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These are actually two different characters now.

I actually prefer most of the redesigns. Especially the plant girl who's name is escaping me at the moment. Nuna, maybe?

I believe they actually own Indivisible. They are a company. I'm 93.5% certain that they are under 100 people.

No, Indivisible is owned by 505 Games. Same way Skullgirls is owned by Autumn Games

CrocodileGrin

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't surprise me as I pretty much expected this to be a 2019 game from the amount of ambition involved. The delay doesn't diminish my anticipation for the game.

Ravidrath

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
They hired a new lead level designer and writer?

Is there context I'm missing here?

For level design, Mike was kind of handling that in addition to all of his other duties, and it was just too much on him.

For the writing, we had multiple writers originally, and I was going to unify the writing and final editing. But between my other duties running the company, doing marketing, PR and social media, and looking for our next project, it was just too risky.

Do indie games normally take 4 years to make?
Seems pretty crazy unless the team is extremely small or green.

I would not say it's uncommon for an indie game to take four years to make.

That said, we finished crowdfunding in December of 2015, and development really didn't begin in earnest until March 2016.

So in the end it's going to be much closer to three years than four.

Do they own the IP? Are they a private company? Are they small (say, <100 people)?
They're indie.

1. We don't own the IP, but it will revert to us if 505 Games doesn't sign a sequel within X amount of time.

2. We are a private company, completely owned by the company's staff.

3. We currently have 18 full-time employees, and use an army of contractors for the rest.

A move like this is a risk since they're taking on more debt to finish it which places the bar for success that much higher. And if they don't make this new deadline & the publisher refuses to add more funds, they could be in serious trouble.

We're not contributing that much to the development ourselves (<10%), and we have zero debt and aren't running up any with this extension.

Everything's covered by publisher recoup. So the only real sacrifice is that by increasing the budget we push out the recoup horizon, and thus future royalties.

Last edited:

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
For level design, Mike was kind of handling that in addition to all of his other duties, and it was just too much on him.

For the writing, we had multiple writers originally, and I was going to unify the writing and final editing. But between my other duties running the company, doing marketing, PR and social media, and looking for our next project, it was just too risky.
Oh, hey! That all makes perfect sense. Thanks for the response!

Ravidrath

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Oh, hey! That all makes perfect sense. Thanks for the response!

If there's anything we struggle with as a company, it's that we all want to do too much and as a result we tend to make overly optimistic estimates.

We also tend to think we have to do everything ourselves, because we did on Skullgirls. So there are lots of times where we just don't even think about more people, asking for help, etc.

For example, I'll never forget my first meeting with 505 PR.

PR: "So what can we do to help you?"

Me: "Uh... this is going to make me sound stupid, but literally no one has ever asked me that before and so I don't know how to answer."​

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
We also tend to think we have to do everything ourselves, because we did on Skullgirls. So there are lots of times where we just don't even think about more people, asking for help, etc.
That's a really interesting point. Also, I would imagine that Skullgirls being a fighting game makes very different in terms of scope and content division compared to a RPG like Indivisible.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
We're not contributing that much to the development ourselves (<10%), and we have zero debt and aren't running up any with this extension.

Everything's covered by publisher recoup. So the only real sacrifice is that by increasing the budget we push out the recoup horizon, and thus future royalties.

Ah, that's a lot better than I thought. So worst case scenario if the game is released without any further delays is that you need to scramble to find funding for the next project.

Oh and I didn't mean any harm with the indie comment. I think it's impressive that you've basically managed to create a second Vanillaware from scratch. Hopefully Indivisible is a big success for you.

Ravidrath

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Ah, that's a lot better than I thought. So worst case scenario if the game is released without any further delays is that you need to scramble to find funding for the next project.

Oh and I didn't mean any harm with the indie comment. I think it's impressive that you've basically managed to create a second Vanillaware from scratch. Hopefully Indivisible is a big success for you.

Yup. And that's why we've started looking for the next project early, and hired an agent to help us do it.

And thanks! "A second Vanillaware" is a huge compliment... not sure we're worthy of that yet, but I'll take it.