• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I have found 2 bugs in my ~6 hours of playing. Anja's pet (forgot its name) that is with her all the time, sometimes never stops running in place, and makes footstep noise during cutscenes. The other is sometimes the characters lines auto-skip, like the audio file failed or something.
I've found both of those myself too. The line skips happen after I manually skip one myself after I'm done reading.

I ended up turning off Roti because of what you described.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Oh no, that sucks. Its too late to restart the game for me. What was the party members name?
If it's who I think it is, it was Tungar.

You have to be...let's say...careful, with how you consider characters who could be party members and aren't just straight forward "I'm joining now"

Pretty sure I killed a prospective party member

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
The backtracking later in the game is pretty nuts.

This is the most conflicted I've felt about a game in quite a while.

Bearwolf

Oct 27, 2017
I remember playing the early demo for this around 2 years ago and you had to have sub 2 seconds reaction time to counter attacks (The sphinx). Is this still the case where you basically have to predict attacks? Or has a lot changed since then?

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
What else would it mean? "$40 for this game? That's steep!"

It's the same as people complaining about Monster Boy's price because it isn't Hollow Knight.
It really grinds my gears when people think $40 is too expensive for a game just because it's 2d... Specially when Monster Boy had more value than most of the blockbusters people happily pay $60+dlc+mtx.

Indivisible is a great game even with the issues it currently has and very much worth the price

NamasteWager

Oct 27, 2017
If it's who I think it is, it was Tungar.

You have to be...let's say...careful, with how you consider characters who could be party members and aren't just straight forward "I'm joining now"

Pretty sure I killed a prospective party member

Oh really? Thats who I assumed it was from the trailers I had seen

I ended up getting Tungar later on, and he was just like "I am joining your party bro"

NamasteWager

Oct 27, 2017
I remember playing the early demo for this around 2 years ago and you had to have sub 2 seconds reaction time to counter attacks (The sphinx). Is this still the case where you basically have to predict attacks? Or has a lot changed since then?

From what I have seen, most enemies have roughly 2 attacks. Most of the time a single it, and a multi hit. If you are just looking to block, then you have plenty of time. It draws a line to the character that is going to get hit (unless its AOE) and I would say you have a solid 3-4 seconds to react. If you want to perfect guard it, you have to learn the patterns and animations before the attack

Bearwolf

Oct 27, 2017
From what I have seen, most enemies have roughly 2 attacks. Most of the time a single it, and a multi hit. If you are just looking to block, then you have plenty of time. It draws a line to the character that is going to get hit (unless its AOE) and I would say you have a solid 3-4 seconds to react. If you want to perfect guard it, you have to learn the patterns and animations before the attack

Oof I'll give it a try but I'm not too confident about my reaction speeds.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017

I'd say the frame windows are pretty generous for instant blocks, but yeah, you have to be on your game. You learn enemy attacks pretty quickly though.

Aug 25, 2019
tumblr_nynoxn8HWb1rz2whno7_500.png
NO WAY!!!!

NamasteWager

Oct 27, 2017
Oof I'll give it a try but I'm not too confident about my reaction speeds.

Some enemies may be faster/slower than others. Even if you cant react to it, the game has a few healers. So maybe instead of having just 1 healer in your part, have 2, and that should offset any damage you are taking until you are more comfortable with the timings

Bearwolf

Oct 27, 2017
I'm at around 15 hours and I think I've hit the halfway point. But yeah, at the 2 hour mark, I'd say you hit your first tough boss.
Good to know in case I need to refund.

Some enemies may be faster/slower than others. Even if you cant react to it, the game has a few healers. So maybe instead of having just 1 healer in your part, have 2, and that should offset any damage you are taking until you are more comfortable with the timings
Thanks for the advice. I guess I'll try that.

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017
There is absolutely nothing in this game that makes it an RPG in any way. Sorry.

I don't really personally care, but the name of their twitter account is even @IndivisibleRPG. Definitely seems like the creators think they made one! I don't think it's worse than the "everythings an RPG due to XP and crafting!" Fad. Might be equal. Probably lighter since it's just a single dev groups attempt at a variant deviation. If we get an army of "RPG" games like this... but naa, I doubt many would ever get the chance to try.

Lab Zero's a group that'd rather give you 5 more unique playing characters, than use that drawing and coding time making 200 still pictures of items and stats. Instead of a poison dagger, you get a chacter that poisons. Instead of a new armor set, you get a tank character. Instead of an ice branch for your main characters magic skills, you get an ice character.

This isn't the way most works would achieve this. At all. Most games go out of their way to limit cast numbers, cheap out on / repurpose animation, and spend time on cosmetics for character customization. I definitely feel like corporate publishers would have shifted the systems and focus of this game entirely. And it'd become a much more "regular" product.

I'll end up waiting for the XB1 patch to drop now, since Ajna is half the character she's suppose to be. But this still feels much more like Valkyrie Profile / Paper Mario / Mario RPG than, say, a Guacamelee, SOTN, or Rayman. Swapping a Numerical stat and item bias for an Animation and gameplay bias doesn't change that for me.

That post got me even more excited! I wonder if it's a new game plus kind of deal or what?
For now, it's a "added to game when ready" kind of deal. They're post launch DLC. I wonder if they'll end up adding a battle arena or trial mode later? Adding almost 1/3rd the entire cast worth of bonus characters, seems like it calls for more game to use them on. Especially in a game with no enemey respawns.

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
I'm now about 15 hours in and I gotta say I really am not seeing a lot of the complaints people were mentioning earlier in the thread. I haven't encountered "sponge" enemies yet, the pacing seems fine, I like how the game world is opening up, and even the characters are getting some more characterization in the wake of events surrounding Ajna. Combat has remained challenging and ramped up in interesting ways.

Like, I get people wanted this to be Valkyrie Profile, and the combat undoubtedly is (though honestly, way more engaging than VP's combat), even if the rest of the game is more of a riff on VP. But I've honestly found this game's characters to be likeable and while they may not all be super developed, they visually and stylistically certainly have a lot more flavor than 99% of video games out there. As someone mentioned, it's a different design philosophy that focuses on characters as actual styles of play, versus characters with lots of different ways to change numbers. I'm really happy they chose this route because it allows you to figure out how you want to style your play and once you get practice mode you can really start to mess around with that, which is awesome.

This game is worth $40, and it's because it does things differently. And yes, it's an RPG; just not a Dragon Quest / Final Fantasy-styled RPG.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rrgh I really want to get this but if I hold out a little while longer the Switch version will come.

Is the difficulty really that low? A hard mode seems like an easy thing to patch in.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
I'm now about 15 hours in and I gotta say I really am not seeing a lot of the complaints people were mentioning earlier in the thread. I haven't encountered "sponge" enemies yet, the pacing seems fine, I like how the game world is opening up, and even the characters are getting some more characterization in the wake of events surrounding Ajna. Combat has remained challenging and ramped up in interesting ways.

Like, I get people wanted this to be Valkyrie Profile, and the combat undoubtedly is (though honestly, way more engaging than VP's combat), even if the rest of the game is more of a riff on VP. But I've honestly found this game's characters to be likeable and while they may not all be super developed, they visually and stylistically certainly have a lot more flavor than 99% of video games out there. As someone mentioned, it's a different design philosophy that focuses on characters as actual styles of play, versus characters with lots of different ways to change numbers. I'm really happy they chose this route because it allows you to figure out how you want to style your play and once you get practice mode you can really start to mess around with that, which is awesome.

This game is worth $40, and it's because it does things differently. And yes, it's an RPG; just not a Dragon Quest / Final Fantasy-styled RPG.
Where are you? I've cleared two of the three "seals" and I literally just button mash, except when enemies have a guard, then I press two buttons then button mash. I don't even block. Even on bosses the combat is a joke, and the only challenging part is on the platforming bits.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Where are you? I've cleared two of the three "seals" and I literally just button mash, except when enemies have a guard, then I press two buttons then button mash. I don't even block. Even on bosses the combat is a joke, and the only challenging part is on the platforming bits.
I find this hard to believe when a couple enemies focusing on a single member of your party can take half of their lifebar away in a single turn if you don't block at the right time.

How long are fights taking for you?

Are all your characters melee only?

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
I find this hard to believe when a couple enemies focusing on a single member of your party can take half of their lifebar away in a single turn if you don't block at the right time.

How long are fights taking for you?

Are all your characters melee only?
Depends on the fight, but anywhere between 20 seconds and a minute or so. Health doesn't carry over between fights, so even if a character or two die it doesn't matter. I can take out most enemies before they can get out a second round of attacks. I just use the fastest characters with the most attack, spam the buttons, that gets enough Idhi, then I'll use a character idhi attack level 3 and win the fight.

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
This hasn't been my experience at all? As Manu says, enemies can do a lot of damage really quickly. Maybe you're really good at perfect blocking? I certainly have a lot of misses and even some of the random encounters can get tough (I've had at least a few deaths to random encounters, though only 1 lately). Even if they aren't extremely challenging, I don't really think they should be to begin with. Bosses are really where that more focused challenge should come from and so far they definitely have.
I'm at roughly the same area as you, though I don't know which of the areas you've explored, so maybe that's why?

Maybe this has something to do with optimization too. I may not be using the most optimal setup but rather am playing with characters I like (e.g., Razmi). Razmi has a really powerful L3 AoE. And while my strategy seems similar to yours, only sometimes can I get enemies down in the first round when I surprise attack them (super satisfying when that happens!).

Last edited:

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017

I feel like managing things with so many character would have been frustrating. I've mostly found a setup I like but being able to easily swap between characters and change up my moveset to test things is fun.

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like managing things with so many character would have been frustrating. I've mostly found a setup I like but being able to easily swap between characters and change up my moveset to test things is fun.
Definitely. It's certainly frustrating to manage items later on in VP, when your inventory becomes a bottomless hole of junk!

I think the basic idea behind stuff like Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest item systems are fine, but they are super clunky. Persona 5 has really got me frustrated with how many freaking items there are (most of which are entirely worthless). I think Earthbound had a smart solution to that with limited inventory space, but it causes a different problem, and just reiterates a more fundamental problem with item management as a mechanic in the first place - one that I believe largely detracts from the gameplay experience, often creating a buyer's remorse conundrum as you continue to quest for more junk to throw into a bottomless box, never to be seen again.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I've seen people complain that the game is too easy & others say that it's too hard. I've also seen people say that it's hard to tell what exactly you get from extra LVs. I'm wondering if that might be part of the problem and people aren't playing at the ideal balanced levels for the content (either gaining too many LVs and making it too easy or too few and making it too hard).

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
I've seen people complain that the game is too easy & others say that it's too hard. I've also seen people say that it's hard to tell what exactly you get from extra LVs. I'm wondering if that might be part of the problem and people aren't playing at the ideal balanced levels for the content (either gaining too many LVs and making it too easy or too few and making it too hard).
That's a really good point.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I caved and bought it on PS4 ._.

I could not wait for the Switch version.

Oct 25, 2017
If this isn't an RPG, it's doing a good job of convincing me it's one. Between the clearly defined dungeons and towns, the alternating between exploring the world and more-or-less instanced battles that make use of a party system, status effects, and an active time battle system, and the obvious character leveling, the RPG label fits this game better than just about any other genre label.

Innuendo Studios recently did a great video about the question of what makes a genre, and one of the conclusions is that genre is defined in part by what the player takes away from the experience. For example, Loom forgoes most of the defining mechanics of the adventure game genre, but it's still universally considered an adventure game because it still plays and feels like one.

I think that principle applies to Indivisible. It may forgo items and some other common genre elements, but at least to me, this still feels like an RPG through and through. After all, the RPG genre is extremely broad as it is, considering the massive gulf in design philosophies between JRPGs and western RPGs.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Wow shit,

Whoever said there weren't status effects in this game didn't make it very far.

Hu3

Oct 25, 2017
esserius you keep dumping on Valkyrie profile like doing that is going to erase the downs of indivisible you don't need yo put something doing just because you like this iteration more.

To me this is not an rpg this is more like a platformer adventure game. Yes characters gain lvls but they don't have stats, you don't have equipment, the star system can't be more ambiguous even if it wanted too. Yes you collect different characters, with different styles but they don't evolve they don't gain new abilites etc. even if you want to streamline the experience you just don't remove everything that makes a game the genre that you are announcing it to be.

They could have made this so much better.

Put me in the camp that thinks the RPG elements aren't strong enough. There are level ups for Ajna, but I have no clear idea what they do and the heart system has no explanation or apparent logic to it. Dhar starts off at a negative score yet he performs just as well as any positive score character and there doesn't seem to be any affection based bonuses or extras like Xenoblade's Heart to Hearts. There's just a weird level of obfuscation that makes the RPG label feel super surface level.

Hellsing321

Oct 30, 2017
I've been busy since the game came out but now I'm trying to claim my backer code but I don't see it in my backerkit downloads. Is there someplace else I should be looking for it?

Anbec

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
So far I'm enjoying the game.

It's fast paced the story feels like something of old times and the cast and voice acting is refreshing (keep in mind that english is not my main language so for me it sounds fine)

One of the thing that bothers me are the voice clip bug where I almost can't hear them but other than that everything has been smooth (playing on Steam).

I did found something that may be a little bit broken in the early game, there is a spot where.... putting it on spoilers

So after you get the ship you can explore some places that if you pick one of them you're forced to retreat if you don't have the abilities, still is pretty cool to explore.

Anyway if you travel to Kaanul and kept exploring you will encounter a Tree enemy (Trent?) and beside it you can find some blue spikes. If you keep touching those spikes the enemy will reset and keep spawning if you touch the spikes.

Killing the enemy gives around 1522 XP I did level up like 3 times there before leaving the area which seems fixes the bug, so it may work with other enemies?

also how do you change the colors for the cast?

Last edited:

xania

Oct 27, 2017
I've played up to unlocking the 3 Iddhi bars and I'm enjoying it. It's a lot harder than I remember the demo being, but that may be because I've not really gotten the hang of combos yet. I think a training area before a certain marathon 3 part + platforming boss would've made it a lot more manageable. As it is I'm heavily relying on Ajna's revive and heal to get through bosses. People say it's OP but honestly the game would be absurdly difficult without it. I also haven't really had the opportunity to go back and explore earlier areas with my new platforming unlocks yet, I'm not even sure how I'm supposed to go back to one place that seems gone for good? I feel like I'm still in the linear intro part of the game a few hours in, despite the story's pace being blazingly fast.

My favourite parts so far are the characters. I think Ajna's actor is absolutely nailing her Dumb Shounen Protag personality and I like Razmi and Zebei the most so far. It's a really cheesy game, but it's the kind of cheese I love.

Also Honey best design.

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, I'm big dumb. I backed this on IGG, and cannot find where to see my PC code. I need an adult to help, please.
(did not change my email from the beginning of the campaign).

mauaus

Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately don't have time to play this yet and i backed out a while ago... Selling my PS4 copy cheap on b&s thread... Probably gonna play on switch later

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
And done.

Man, hell of a game. Some REAL questionable decisions with some of the bosses and man the game needs some sort of fast travel for late game clean up, but...man, hell of a game. Really really enjoyed it.