• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
esserius you keep dumping on Valkyrie profile like doing that is going to erase the downs of indivisible you don't need yo put something doing just because you like this iteration more.

To me this is not an rpg this is more like a platformer adventure game. Yes characters gain lvls but they don't have stats, you don't have equipment, the star system can't be more ambiguous even if it wanted too. Yes you collect different characters, with different styles but they don't evolve they don't gain new abilites etc. even if you want to streamline the experience you just don't remove everything that makes a game the genre that you are announcing it to be.

They could have made this so much better.
I am not dumping on Valkyrie Profile. Valkyrie Profile is one of my favorite games, it is storytelling par excellence. At the same time, after having played it so much, I'm also highly aware of its flaws. I don't think I'm leveling unfair criticism against it, or the other games I've discussed. Indivisible definitely has its downsides, but I don't think they're as pronounced as most people are claiming them to be. Or at least, it hasn't been my experience.

I don't think items and stats need to exist to make something an RPG either (RPGs are pretty much always about the characters to me--and while Indivisible doesn't have the best, they're all quite likeable). Micro-management of numbers is one potential element of an RPG, and I still think it's also one of the clunkiest. I don't really enjoy menu-ing in video games generally, and tend to think it's a poor solution that's been passed on because making a video game with tangible interaction for functionality isn't a prospect most are thinking about, even though it's well within reach at this point. I like the prospect of being able to hold a bunch of items in a big bag and actually rummaging through a bottomless box or a Bag of Holding, but none of that is really physicalized by current video games (if you ever access something like this you access it through what is effectively a more graphically pleasing excel spreadsheet--and if it's Persona 5 it's a REALLY pretty excel spreadsheet). So yeah, not disappointed by less micro-management. Indivisible gets a big thumbs up from me on that.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really disappointed on how shallow the rpg system is, might shelve it for a while since Im looking for a jrpg fix

Oct 27, 2017
I think I've messed up the game clock when having the PS4 on standby. It's telling me I've played 34 hours so far when it's probably more like 4 hours.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
This game is qualified as RPG but from what we've seen it feels more like a metroidvania with a part of Valkyrie Profile battle system.

I guess a few genre names don't mean anything and encompass far too much to be effective.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I am not dumping on Valkyrie Profile. Valkyrie Profile is one of my favorite games, it is storytelling par excellence. At the same time, after having played it so much, I'm also highly aware of its flaws. I don't think I'm leveling unfair criticism against it, or the other games I've discussed. Indivisible definitely has its downsides, but I don't think they're as pronounced as most people are claiming them to be. Or at least, it hasn't been my experience.

I don't think items and stats need to exist to make something an RPG either (RPGs are pretty much always about the characters to me--and while Indivisible doesn't have the best, they're all quite likeable). Micro-management of numbers is one potential element of an RPG, and I still think it's also one of the clunkiest. I don't really enjoy menu-ing in video games generally, and tend to think it's a poor solution that's been passed on because making a video game with tangible interaction for functionality isn't a prospect most are thinking about, even though it's well within reach at this point. I like the prospect of being able to hold a bunch of items in a big bag and actually rummaging through a bottomless box or a Bag of Holding, but none of that is really physicalized by current video games (if you ever access something like this you access it through what is effectively a more graphically pleasing excel spreadsheet--and if it's Persona 5 it's a REALLY pretty excel spreadsheet). So yeah, not disappointed by less micro-management. Indivisible gets a big thumbs up from me on that.

I don't view items or stats in rpgs as micro management or as cumbersome as the way you seem to feel about them. Indivisible is sorely lacking in aspects that are tried and true to the genre because they add a level of growth and customization most people who tend to enjoy rpgs play them for. Its one thing to say you like Indivisible because it ignores these features and gets the player straight to the point but by ignoring these aspects of rpgs it not only causes an extremely linear experience, it straight up feels like the game is incomplete. The stats are hidden yet exist(we see star ratings on the characters at least). There's no tweaking them and the game even arbitrarily inflates them at points of the story just to (I guess) make the player feel like they've progressed. The characters are all simplistic to the point you can do one fight with them and see every single thing they'll offer the duration of the game (besides the lead who actually obtains new abilities in both combat and traversal, which is awesome btw). Without any customization through equipment, skill points ect. the game is really one dimensional which hurts it dramatically as you barely feel like you should bother doing anything other than get from point A to point B. RPGs have offered so much more than this since their inception.

Indivisible has a singular item to seek out that literally gives you two options as to how you use it , offence or defense. Obtaining these are also so spread out over the course of the game because there aren't even that many levels of offence or defense you can upgrade. Its like the devs knew they had to at least put SOMETHING in the game as a reward for exploring otherwise we'd have no reason to do anything in the world other than go to each new story beat. I'm so disappointed in how Indivisible was pitched and what we got as a final product because I was expecting to be more engrossed than this. The only other aspect I'm glad they at least included are some optional characters to find and obtain through minor quests. Even though it's unnecessary back tracking and feature the most basic of quest requirements, it's at least SOMETHING else to do. Indivisible needs more to it because as it is, it just feels unfinished. Especially when it's being touted as a RPG. It feels like a platformer to me with the Valkyrie Profile battle system tacked on and nothing more.

Last edited:

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Is it just me or did the newest PS4 patch for this game introduce framerate issues?

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
I've seen people complain that the game is too easy & others say that it's too hard. I've also seen people say that it's hard to tell what exactly you get from extra LVs. I'm wondering if that might be part of the problem and people aren't playing at the ideal balanced levels for the content (either gaining too many LVs and making it too easy or too few and making it too hard).
Yeah, this is part of it - But it's a bit deeper IMO. The game just does a pretty bad job of explaining the system to the player and getting you familiar with them. Levels are just one of the thing you don't quite understand.
In addition, I think the game should have included difficulty levels, ideally separately between platforming and combat - I'm not entirely enjoying some of the harder platforming parts, but combat is just about right for me difficulty-wise.
Neither of these will fix some of the deeper issues with the game, but would probably help me enjoy it a whole lot more.

boy power

Banned
Jul 29, 2019
The strengths of this game is definitely the art direction and characters. I think they should continue with the Indivisible universe and just make a fighting game with the cast, because that's kinda what I think the game sort of wants to be. Am I crazy for thinking that?

Ginger Hail

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The strengths of this game is definitely the art direction and characters. I think they should continue with the Indivisible universe and just make a fighting game with the cast, because that's kinda what I think the game sort of wants to be. Am I crazy for thinking that?
Considering it's a Lab Zero game, the fighting game influence is definitely there. I assume they probably would want to keep this as its own separate thing instead of doubling up with Skullgirls.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone help me out on how to get passed this part? I feel like there has to be something i don't realize I can do. Like I know I need to maintain my speed to break through the wall but after sliding under I can't like jump or do an air dash.

Edit: Figured it out I never realized I could chain the corkscrew like that.

indijump.png

Last edited:

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
I don't view items or stats in rpgs as micro management or as cumbersome as the way you seem to feel about them. Indivisible is sorely lacking in aspects that are tried and true to the genre because they add a level of growth and customization most people who tend to enjoy rpgs play them for. Its one thing to say you like Indivisible because it ignores these features and gets the player straight to the point but by ignoring these aspects of rpgs it not only causes an extremely linear experience, it straight up feels like the game is incomplete. The stats are hidden yet exist(we see star ratings on the characters at least). There's no tweaking them and the game even arbitrarily inflates them at points of the story just to (I guess) make the player feel like they've progressed. The characters are all simplistic to the point you can do one fight with them and see every single thing they'll offer the duration of the game (besides the lead who actually obtains new abilities in both combat and traversal, which is awesome btw). Without any customization through equipment, skill points ect. the game is really one dimensional which hurts it dramatically as you barely feel like you should bother doing anything other than get from point A to point B. RPGs have offered so much more than this since their inception.

Indivisible has a singular item to seek out that literally gives you two options as to how you use it , offence or defense. Obtaining these are also so spread out over the course of the game because there aren't even that many levels of offence or defense you can upgrade. Its like the devs knew they had to at least put SOMETHING in the game as a reward for exploring otherwise we'd have no reason to do anything in the world other than go to each new story beat. I'm so disappointed in how Indivisible was pitched and what we got as a final product because I was expecting to be more engrossed than this. The only other aspect I'm glad they at least included are some optional characters to find and obtain through minor quests. Even though it's unnecessary back tracking and feature the most basic of quest requirements, it's at least SOMETHING else to do. Indivisible needs more to it because as it is, it just feels unfinished. Especially when it's being touted as a RPG. It feels like a platformer to me with the Valkyrie Profile battle system tacked on and nothing more.
It might help if you think about characters as a new set of abilities, as they pretty much all are new sets of mechanics that are spaced pretty evenly apart and themselves act as unique modifiers throughout the game. I can't really agree that the game is at fault for not adding random junk to collect. I don't play games, RPGs or otherwise, to collect stuff (I platinumed Sekiro, the first game I've ever platinumed, a while back and by far the thing I hated most about that was collecting stuff). And while I don't think it would be bad to make stats visible, I certainly don't think it's necessary once you get training mode, as you can then directly see and feel the possibility space for a given set of characters and their mechanics.

I'd say we're at an impasse, not because of what the game's lacking, but because of what people, including yourself, want this game to be. Many seem to imagine Indivisible as something it's not, and then criticize it based on that, rather than taking it for what it is.

Sep 22, 2019
Is there a point of no return?

I am at the part where you return to Angwu and she is telling me that if I go to Lahn I can't come back, to finish anything that I have left. I have only clocked 10 hours, wasn't this game supposed to be 20 hours?

BlueOdin

Oct 26, 2017
So I am at the part of the story where I am going back to all the places I fucked up by going through in the first place but now owning up to my mistakes. Already did the Obsidian Wind in Kanuul. Can anyone who has beat the game how far tell me how much I have left? Kinda want to get this done before Disco Elysium comes out.

Is there a point of no return?

I am at the part where you return to Angwu and she is telling me that if I go to Lahn I can't come back, to finish anything that I have left. I have only clocked 10 hours, wasn't this game supposed to be 20 hours?

There is stuff after that though you are locked in for a bit there,

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Finished Indivisible was pretty fun think I was at like 21-23 hours by the end. Definitely don't skimp on the defense upgrade it's more important for the final boss than having your attack maxed if you don't get enough ringsels.

So I am at the part of the story where I am going back to all the places I fucked up by going through in the first place but now owning up to my mistakes. Already did the Obsidian Wind in Kanuul. Can anyone who has beat the game how far tell me how much I have left? Kinda want to get this done before Disco Elysium comes out.
You just revisit a shorter version of the three kingdoms then you head to the mountain again so it's not too long. I was trying to finish it up before Disco Elysium as well.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
I'm enjoying my time with the game (5 hours in), especially with figuring out the different character combinations you can do.

I do wish there was a training mode/phase after recruiting a new member so we can learn first hand on how to learn their combos. Even having a training dummy in Ajna's realm (so we can test things) would help so much.

BlueOdin

Oct 26, 2017
Finished Indivisible was pretty fun think I was at like 21-23 hours by the end. Definitely don't skimp on the defense upgrade it's more important for the final boss than having your attack maxed if you don't get enough ringsels.

You just revisit a shorter version of the three kingdoms then you head to the mountain again so it's not too long. I was trying to finish it up before Disco Elysium as well.

Oh, then that should be doable tomorrow with Monday as a breather. But the length is kinda strange for me. Either I am blazing through the game or the parts that are left are bigger than I think because I have like 14 hours so far.

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017
The only problem with the idea is that this game specifically allowed them to make many character with their animations up to SG standards. Making a fighter requires much more per-character than this, and they even ran a simplification pass over the designs to make them less taxing to animate. SG has a huge amount of cast they'd like to make playable, that might never see the light of day, due to the cost and skill needed to make their cast.

I don't think this game wants to be a fighter any more than the "Tales of..." series. It wants to be an RPG that fight fans can enjoy the timing and combo making aspects in, under a different genre that allows LabZero to run with things the company adores making.

Master Milk

Oct 25, 2017
The only problem with the idea is that this game specifically allowed them to make many character with their animations up to SG standards. Making a fighter requires much more per-character than this, and they even ran a simplification pass over the designs to make them less taxing to animate. SG has a huge amount of cast they'd like to make playable, that might never see the light of day, due to the cost and skill needed to make their cast.

I don't think this game wants to be a fighter any more than the "Tales of..." series. It wants to be an RPG that fight fans can enjoy the timing and combo making aspects in, under a different genre that allows LabZero to run with things the company adores making.

if another sg gets greenlit, they'll probably be able to throw in even more characters than in the first one

they've improved on their workflow and have refined the process well over the years

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017
if another sg gets greenlit, they'll probably be able to throw in even more characters than in the first one

they've improved on their workflow and have refined the process well over the years

Surely. Still doesn't mean they can do everything they want, though. Even this game has a delay, and yet still 2 base cast members missing, awaiting a patch. And even more guest characters that will take who knows how long to complete.

It's funny and frustrating how fighters don't sell the best since leaving arcades, but still have some of the most intense per-character work. I think it'd be great to see a SG2, but for LabZero's sake, I also hope they can find some comfortable concepts with short devtime, too. This game seemed to start asva quicker idea, but balooned to be just as intense in the end, for different reasons.

Master Milk

Oct 25, 2017
Surely. Still doesn't mean they can do everything they want, though. Even this game has a delay, and yet still 2 base cast members missing, awaiting a patch. And even more guest characters that will take who knows how long to complete.

It's funny and frustrating how fighters don't sell the best since leaving arcades, but still have some of the most intense per-character work. I think it'd be great to see a SG2, but for LabZero's sake, I also hope they can find some comfortable concepts with short devtime, too. This game seemed to start asva quicker idea, but balooned to be just as intense in the end, for different reasons.

i think doing a new kind of game just comes with growing pains that they weren't able to fully account for

returning to sg would be way easier and faster than trying to make another game in yet another genre since they have experience and a solid base to build off of

the real issue would be whether they want to or not

OP
OP
Luminaire

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
After a horribly delayed shipment, I was finally able to start this today.

So far it's really charming. I love the character interactions. Especially everyones attitude towards Dhar.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Ended up wrapping up the game after taking a break from it for a few days. Beat it at about 14 and half hours and just shook my head at so many moments. I like the credit music I guess lol. I wish I could've enjoyed this more than I did but it is what it is. Now to wait for that Switch version to come in the mail some day.

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hypothetically, how many hand-drawn frames does Ajna has VS your average Skullgirl character? She probably has twice as many as the other incantations, so I suspect turning the game into a fighting game would require a lot of work... Not to mention the art style is slightly different from SG, so "Indivisible vs SG" might look really weird.
... I just want Lanshi playable in a fighting game gimme gimme.

BlueOdin

Oct 26, 2017
So I am supposed to go back to Lhan but when I go there through the portal both ways are locked of. Do I need to go through another way or what am I supposed to do?

Edit.: nvm found it. Also finished the game. Was sadly a let down for me.

Last edited:

Megawarrior

Oct 25, 2017
How tf do you beat this first boss in fortress vimana (looks like a egyptian inspired sphynx)

Edit: this game would be a 1000x's better if it didn't have a story and this voice acting in the way tbh :x it's dookie.

Last edited:

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Hypothetically, how many hand-drawn frames does Ajna has VS your average Skullgirl character? She probably has twice as many as the other incantations, so I suspect turning the game into a fighting game would require a lot of work... Not to mention the art style is slightly different from SG, so "Indivisible vs SG" might look really weird.
... I just want Lanshi playable in a fighting game gimme gimme.

Skullgirls characters are around 1000 -1500 frames of animation per character on average. I don't think there is a single character in the game that comes even close to that except ajna. She would still be lacking the basics like, 6 aerial normals and 6 crouching normals, throws, a second KO animation, hit reactions based on if hit in air and crouching, win poses, guard push, backwards and forwards walking animations etc.

BaasRed

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UAE
I'm a bit confused about what's happening in the story right now. SPOILERS for halfway or so through the game.
I beat the serpent queen and the girl that follows you to ship but it feels like I'm missing something. Do I revisit right away or wait until later to tie up the loose ends?

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
How tf do you beat this first boss in fortress vimana (looks like a egyptian inspired sphynx)

I can't help too much other than say I've had "good runs" and "bad runs" at bosses. 🤷‍♀️
I definitely go after the lackies that it calls in, but I do like to focus on the ones that don't defend as well so it's easy to just knock around more enemies that way.

Megawarrior

Oct 25, 2017
I can't help too much other than say I've had "good runs" and "bad runs" at bosses. 🤷‍♀️
I definitely go after the lackies that it calls in, but I do like to focus on the ones that don't defend as well so it's easy to just knock around more enemies that way.
I beat it after 28494949 tries. I basically just brute forced it and focused on the boss and used the l1+r1 ability that eventually popped up out of nowhere that I never noticed until that fight to rez a party member. Didnt even try to fight those minions there were too freaking many lol

Anbec

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I'm a bit confused about what's happening in the story right now. SPOILERS for halfway or so through the game.
I beat the serpent queen and the girl that follows you to ship but it feels like I'm missing something. Do I revisit right away or wait until later to tie up the loose ends?
I'm sure there are only a few things maybe some Ringels

Does anyone know why color 4 is (!) And can't be used?

Naga Rider is amazing when you got him

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure there are only a few things maybe some Ringels

Does anyone know why color 4 is (!) And can't be used?

Naga Rider is amazing when you got him
Each party member has a side quest that unlocks that 4th color and buffs the character in someway. You can do them after the midway point or after you fix the 3 areas, I think. Talk to them in your inner realm.

Ginger Hail

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just beat the game. Had an unfortunate bug where the game froze up toward the end of the story and wouldn't respond, even after reloading the game. Thankfully switching to the beta branch on Steam fixed it for me, so I was able to finally reach the last area.

That last power up you get right before the final fight was so much fun to use I couldn't help but go back into the world and mess around with it for a bit.

Really enjoyed it. The combat was real fun once I got the hang of it. Exploration ended up being pretty alright too, though I do kind of wish there was a way to fast travel to specific points on the map considering how large some of the areas got.

xania

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a way to quick travel or something in areas you've been? Redoing an entire level of platforming that was frustrating the first time through is kinda killing my motivation to explore and do side quests.

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
The combat is fun, I wish there was more challenging fights to do.

Is there a way to quick travel or something in areas you've been? Redoing an entire level of platforming that was frustrating the first time through is kinda killing my motivation to explore and do side quests.
I feel you kinda. Need more shortcuts especially near the gates and ports.

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
Wow I totally missed all of that.
I did too. I saw I had got Phoebe's 4th when she mentioned visiting her kids at the port and then I figured look up if there's more side quest. Lo and behold.

Also missed finding Latigo.

Hidden path with Mike Z cat is the most fun and thorough platforming and boss fight even at overleveled OP party.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm about 5 hours into the game and I'm not really sure how I feel about it yet. I adore the character designs and the script is pretty fun. Ravannavar is a great villain. But I'm not feeling the combat and I kinda hate the platforming. I also feel like it needs some training or practice modes as a lot of stuff isn't explained very well. I'll give it more time but I'm not enjoying it as much as I'd hoped after the prototype.

OP
OP
Luminaire

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
Nuna is fun and adorable.

I don't think they tell you this at all anywhere in game (though some character info bits mention 1, 2, 3) but your specials have charge levels by pressing the button more. Some chars do stronger versions of the same attack while others are completely different per level.

E.g. Thoranis Lvl 1 just spreads more puddles, her Lvl 2 makes her withdraw into a puddle that does damage/healed when walked over, her Lvl 3 sets up an AoE Heal Over Time cloud that lasts like 20s.