• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
I'm enjoying this a lot so far.

I would probably know this if I followed the backer updates more closely, but: the opening music has vocals that sound very Nier-ish in parts. Any relation there? I checked the credits and saw Hiroki Kikuta, who I know from the Mana series.

selo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just played it for like an hour and a half (rescued a prisoner). Thoughts so far: Story moves along too quickly for me to really care, seems unpolished in some parts effects wise, the music is a little generic. I do like the combat and map-into-combat mechanic they've got going on. Seems like you can mix attacks to create crazy combos or to open up the enemies. The resurrection mechanic seems to make it very easy to get through fights.

I've got mixed feelings, the mechanics/exploration are not stellar and the (so far) uninteresting story might not make me want to finish it. I'll play the 2 hours and see if i change my mind or else I'll refund :(

Aquova

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
I played this game for a few hours, and it's fun as hell. Can anyone explain to me what the map is supposed to be? The game said that the map should appear when I look up, but when I do, nothing appears. Same if I go into the menu and try to open the map, nothing ever appears.

LegendX48

Oct 25, 2017
I played this game for a few hours, and it's fun as hell. Can anyone explain to me what the map is supposed to be? The game said that the map should appear when I look up, but when I do, nothing appears. Same if I go into the menu and try to open the map, nothing ever appears.
Hold up. Usually pops up after a couple seconds.

durrrklin

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Best Coast
How do we use Roti? Or the palette swaps? I can't seem to figure it out.

Edit: Oh, just saw the above post. That's good to know!

I'm loving playing it (especially the combat), but man, talk about a silly story. At least it doesn't take itself too seriously and i appreciate that, also, Razmi is the best character.

YES SHE IS

iu

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Game is fun but the characters are incredibly annoying.

I thought Ajna was bad until I met Razmi. Ended up force quitting the game during their first dialog exchange because I couldn't stand it. Turning voice acting off may help, but the writing will still be bad.

Also, all of the vocal tracks are panned too hard left/right, making this incredibly annoying to play with headphones. Turning voices down in the settings didn't help.

For those with 21:9 monitors, the game will let you select the your native resolution (in my case 3440x1440) but ends up stretching everything.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Just played it for like an hour and a half (rescued a prisoner). Thoughts so far: Story moves along too quickly for me to really care, seems unpolished in some parts effects wise, the music is a little generic. I do like the combat and map-into-combat mechanic they've got going on. Seems like you can mix attacks to create crazy combos or to open up the enemies. The resurrection mechanic seems to make it very easy to get through fights.

I've got mixed feelings, the mechanics/exploration are not stellar and the (so far) uninteresting story might not make me want to finish it. I'll play the 2 hours and see if i change my mind or else I'll refund :(
Just FYI I played 7 hours today and the story is basically crazy nonsense lol. There is a litttttle intrigue going on but the writing is really uneven overall. Exploration has not gotten any better from the beginning. There is very little exploring to do as most areas are fairly linear. No puzzles either just pretty graphics and great combat. I'd say if the combat is good enough to carry the game for you then keep it but if you are expecting other aspects to improve, I haven't seen that happen at least in the 7 hours I've played.
I'd give the game a 7...ish score right now. I will keep playing though and beat it for sure.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Game is fun but the characters are incredibly annoying.

I thought Ajna was bad until I met Razmi. Ended up force quitting the game during their first dialog exchange because I couldn't stand it. Turning voice acting off may help, but the writing will still be bad.

Whaaaaaat. Characters are the best part of the game IMO :D It's like watching some older cartoon. Or something like first Avatar animation. I don't know, it just have really nice vibe overall. It's like a young adult novel animation. And Razmi? Razmi is GOAT.

Oct 27, 2017
Got 7 hours in today and had a blast the characters a fun and game has made me have a good laugh a decent amount of times now. The combat is super interesting and always leads options to experiment. I do agree shit happens fast in the story but part of that is the amount of characters they give you so I understand why it goes at that pace.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Combat is setup in a pretty interesting way here, seems to really want you to explore to find synergies an different strengths for the characters. The character info dabbles very lightly on some of it but doesn't really detail much. I'll try to make a basic move guide for the characters I've seen so far

Anja:

Up - Launcher
Neutral - Standard swipe, can hit multiple enemies.
Down - Double swipe, powerful attack. Best for single target.

Idhi 1 - String of rapid attacks on one enemy
Idhi 2 - Longer string of attacks on one enemy
Idhi 3 - Longer string of attacks on one enemy

Funnily enough she actually can't hit anything in the air, someone else needs to knock them down first.

Dhar:

U - Overhead slash. Hits one target.
N - Standard slash combo, can hit multiple people.
D - Charge rocks. Adds extra damage to other attacks, might be placebo but it seems to charge his attacks a lot faster too.

Idhi 1 - Single strong attack that can hit everyone in a group.
2, 3 - More powerful version of the same thing

Ginseg:

U - Party heal
N - Rapid hits on one enemy. Makes heal better.
D - Throw object. Idhi 1 makes this pretty good.

Idhi 1 - Pulls an object that is stored for the next D attack
Idhi 2 - Shoots a bunch of objects at every enemy
Idhi 3 - Like a super beefed up version of her normal attack, also heals your party

Kushi:

I do not like using this character at all. Godspeed everyone else.

Quadira:

U - Launches an enemy and jumps with it for a follow up attack.
N - Standard attack that can be followed up
D - Slide into an enemy, followup hits them in the back.

Idhi 1 - Shield charge, can hit multiple enemies
2, 3 - Better version of the same thing.

Pretty sure every attack from Quadira can catch multiple enemies.

Razmi:

U - Launcher. Hits AoE, super powerful
N - Single target attack
D - Slows enemies

Idhi 1 - Team heal.
Idhi 2 - Fire attack that hits everyone
Idhi 3 - Big beam drop on the enemies that hits them all a lot.

Thorani:

U - Activates puddles. Heals allies and hurts enemies that touch them.
N - Shoots water with her hair, leaves puddles on the ground.
D - Gets close and hits an enemy, makes a puddle at their feet for better damage later.

Idhi 1 - Sprays water around.
Idhi 2 - Turns into a puddle for...awhile. Not sure what it actually does.
Idhi 3 - Creates a rainfall over the team that is constantly healing, hurts enemies that go into it. Suuuuuuper strong.

Zebei:

U - Aeriel attack downwards. Does a lot of damage on bigger targets if all the arrows hit.
N - Rapid shots at a single enemy. I guess if the aeriel would miss a lot this is meant to be used instead.
D - Launcher/AoE. Weak damage.

Idhi 1 - Gets really close and shoots a bunch of arrows. Mostly one target but can hit a few.
2, 3 - Better version of the same thing

Thorani, Ginseg, and Razmi are all pretty interesting. I definitely like the characters that have different idhi moves based on the meter.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
So, how exactly is blocking supposed to work in this? Whenever I do it, my characters go into the block animation, yet still end up losing a bunch of life anyway every time. You're also supposed to be able to hit LB at the last second to block, and then X after, but when I do that, nothing happens either. They just block, there's never any counter. This is while having a full meter to work with too.

selo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So, how exactly is blocking supposed to work in this? Whenever I do it, my characters go into the block animation, yet still end up losing a bunch of life anyway every time. You're also supposed to be able to hit LB at the last second to block, and then X after, but when I do that, nothing happens either. They just block, there's never any counter. This is while having a full meter to work with too.
Afaik, the block then attack is pre-battle only. Even if you block perfectly, you'll still lose health but significantly less if you time it properly.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Afaik, the block then attack is pre-battle only. Even if you block perfectly, you'll still lose health but significantly less if you time it properly.

Always losing health to some degree makes sense I guess, because otherwise there would be no need to bother with the healer characters.

Caim

Oct 25, 2017
Also if you Clean Guard (perfect guard) you can't die you'll always have at least 1 HP.

Oct 27, 2017
2 hours in and the graphics and music are still top notch.
Exploration does seem pretty straight forward. I haven't found many secrets and a lot of inaccessible areas are walls that are glittering different colors.
Battles are fun, hectic, and pretty difficult for me.

I'm on PC and it's been mostly 60fps with a couple stuttering drops when more is going on in game. I've got a pretty good PC so it may just be a thing no matter what.

I wish there was a more traditional menu in place. Things are spread over a couple screens and unless you get access to morelater, it's pretty limited in what you can see. For example I don't see an item list anywhere while I was collecting items for a quest and could not check tosee my status on it - or maybe I can't find it!
Also that side quest was weird. After I collected the final item nothing happened and then a bit later I reached a point where a cutscene cane up and it was resolved but the resolution made it sound lije the collecting I had just done was actually pointless and not needed. It was just...weird and disjointed feeling.
a quest log would help greatly (and a real character menu where quests, items, stats etc are listed)

the game does teach you some things but not everything. They are throwing germs around I feel like I should no but don't since they have never been described in the game so I'm left scratching my head lol.
Again a menu lol. To list your moves and a glossary and story so Far section.

ok so most of my wall of text actually can be wrapped up with: tutorial could be better and I wish there was a normal centralized menu with all the usual things a menu contains.

oh and the map. You press up to view it but have to keep pressing up or it goes away. I dont see a way to move the map around or zoom and it doesn't show a massive area as is. Also there are lots of icons with no legend. Or maybe it's another thing I haven't figured out how to do?

I am having fun but there are some QOL issues for sure that I hope can be addressed. Things seem a bit haphazard as they are right now!

I've only played about an hour but I agree about the menus. Not only are they not as thorough as I'd like, they appear to be spread over a couple of different places and you can't view the map from the menu. Definitely a few QOL patches on their way, I reckon.

NIN90

Nov 6, 2017
So what's the skinny on the difficulty? Destructoid review said that it is too easy, Steam forums say that it is pretty difficult. Maybe it's something that only reveals itself later on in the game?

Malms

Oct 26, 2017
3-4 hours in, I'm really enjoying this game so far! It's fairly rough around the edges for sure, but otherwise I feel like I'm getting everything I wanted from it. The audio mix is a real problem though lol

BeefTengoku

Jul 9, 2019
So what's the skinny on the difficulty? Destructoid review said that it is too easy, Steam forums say that it is pretty difficult. Maybe it's something that only reveals itself later on in the game?

From my time with the Backer Preview, I can only guess this is because the game actually requires some skill?

For example, I would imagine that someone who plays fighting games might find the battles easy, while someone who doesn't might find them hard.

A bit surprised that the enemies don't respawn, though. But I'm not sure grinding would really help all that much.

The audio mix is a real problem though lol

There aren't voice and music volume controls in the Options? I don't have my final copy yet, but I thought those were in the Backer Preview.

Malms

Oct 26, 2017
There aren't voice and music volume controls in the Options? I don't have my final copy yet, but I thought those were in the Backer Preview.

There are, but it seems like the voice volume is different between cutscenes and battles for some reason. Specifically the end-of-battle voice lines are really quiet, even with voices cranked all the way up..

BeefTengoku

Jul 9, 2019
There are, but it seems like the voice volume is different between cutscenes and battles for some reason. Specifically the end-of-battle voice lines are really quiet, even with voices cranked all the way up..

Oh weird.

Maybe the battle voices are counted as sound FX and not voices? Have you tried to see if adjusting those will help with the voices?

Sep 22, 2019
The game is great so far... I have played around 5 hours, but have only died two times to the same boss. I thought the difficulty would pick up later into the game but it actually is getting easier. I am worried since this is making battles with random enemies a little boring since it is almost impossible to lose to them.

Malms

Oct 26, 2017
Oh weird.

Maybe the battle voices are counted as sound FX and not voices? Have you tried to see if adjusting those will help with the voices?

I did try messing with the SFX volume but no dice unfortunately, just hopped on the PS4 quick to turn the voices down to zero and double check, it definitely appears to be linked to voice volume :(

Larsa

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I really dislike how much the voices are panned to the right and left. Makes it really uncomfortable to listen to with headphones.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
The writing and voice acting are unfortunately weak. Ajna and Razmi specifically don't really have good VA. Just some really awkward delivery. It's fine when almost any other character speaks... anyway I'm still enjoying the game so far. I need to put a lot more time in before I decide whether I like the combat or not.

On the VA side of things, I'm even more confused tbh because Razmi's VA did fine as Emma in Sekiro. I think maybe she just doesn't play the dull/lifeless archetype well.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
So I just found a new party member by doing something I doubt many people would do and now I'm scared I missed out on others. In case anybody wants to know, in the Iron Kingdom stand in front of two wanted posters to the upper right of the map (soon after you're told to run from the cops) and wait.

The demo convinced me not to buy the game. What a swing and a miss. I was really looking forward to it, too.
So you got excited for a game but waited until after it was out to try the demo? That's weird.

SparkleMotion

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
So I just found a new party member by doing something I doubt many people would do and now I'm scared I missed out on others. In case anybody wants to know, in the Iron Kingdom stand in front of two wanted posters to the upper right of the map (soon after you're told to run from the cops) and wait.

So you got excited for a game but waited until after it was out to try the demo? That's weird.

Not really.

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
What's up with Ajna cheering or Taunting when you do down attack in the beginning of battle?

Maybe it's still early, but so far it's decent. Still I deep like I'd rather play Valkyrie Profile.

Writing also leaves a lot to be desired. Ajna is stupidly two-dimensional.

Last edited:

Viken

Teyvat Traveler
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The game is pretty good so far, but I'm not liking Ajna's VA. Seems kinda limp.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
What's up with Ajna cheering or Taunting when you do down attack in the beginning of battle?

Maybe it's still early, but so far it's decent. Still I deep like I'd rather play Valkyrie Profile.

Writing also leaves a lot to be desired. Ajna is stupidly two-dimensional.
I have no idea why that happens sometimes but that's supposed to be a follow up to her arrow attack that makes them explode. Usually you can do the arrow attack if you already did an up attack once and try and do it again.

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017
Posted a Tweet thread on thoughts:

But to summarize here, I think it's forgivable how Rough around the edges everything outside of Animation feels. But it's pace is somewhat confusing. I feel like I'm expected to be fully swept up into half explained ideas, like I'm 100% Gung-Ho on 30% explanations, and so on.

My favorite thing is probally how 100% Fighting game fan the design feels. I feel like I'm way more engaged outside of combat than the simple actions of VP. Parrying and countering an enemies initial blow, hitting them with moves to build meter pre-battle, the general feel of dashing and jumping... it feels nice. And once you're in combat, it feels a BIT looser than I'd like (I find how defeated enemies just... fall out of the screen boarder to feel off). I feel (like I often do with older games) that there was a more defined grid and rhythm for movement and actions there, but it's looser here. Which isn't bad on it's own, but it keeps me from feeling as confident on movement speeds and such as I'd like.

Still one of the most fun RPG battle systems, anyhow.

As much as I loved the hyper attacks of Valkyrie Profile, the staging on these leave much to be desired. I guess this is more for the people that skip the attacks in Super Robot Wars and Strat RPGs eventually. But I want my build up, echo voices, dramatic hit effects, and gameplay-slowing shadows, lol. I do like the higher level ones I'm finally seeing now, but still... "ICICLE DISASTER!" "IT SHALL BE ENGRAVED UPON YOUR SOUL!!!" "ROUND RIP SAYBERRR!"and such, it is NOT.

Aquova

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
I'm surprised to see that people have been a little disappointed in this game so far. Personally, I'm loving pretty much all of it. Some of the voices took some getting used to, but I find them really charming now, and I've gotten into the plot as well.

Viken

Teyvat Traveler
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Count me as one of those people that find it a bit difficult so far. Still gutting my way through it though.

Damage seems really high even when I block, so I guess I have to get that perfect blocking down, but some enemies don't give enough time for me to do that type of block. It would help if I can fight some enemies over and over so I can get the timing of it.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Ughhh, I just lost in the last part of a long as fuck fight that dragged out from having to do 3 different platforming sections and it started me right at the beginning. Guess I'm done for the day.