• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
The game is not doing it for me so far, nothing is bad about it but also there's not much I look foreword to see more of, as in when I close the game I don't get excited to fire it up again.

That being said, they went off when it comes to the character designs though, it's one of my all time favorites.
At this point, I'm just playing to see what's next, versus excitement of being totally engaged in the world. I'd have to say right now the game feels. Like A 7-7.5. Actually, I think a apt comparison with how lacking it feels is that it's like a compile heart game. Every fight Minus the bosses feels the same, like I am running it by the numbers. There's really no feeling of progression.

Eila

Oct 27, 2017
For some reason, the price on the mexican steam store is higher than the US store price. Ah well, I'll have to wait until it's on humble or something.

naib

Oct 25, 2017
ATX
has anyone tried this with a hitbox? asking for a friend.
any stick for that matter I guess

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like I was not quite right about the inputs for the bow. You don't actually have to do the launcher. The bow attack just always has to at least be the second attack in a combination of any set of moves. Just do whatever, then hit up+Anja's attack button to get it. The spear is likely the same as far as just needing to be done within a combo.

I would, but Windows 10 killed my compatability, so I can no longer use it on PC. Wasn't using the official Hitbox, but a TE stick with a modified board and a Hitbox styled replacement panel on the top. So in that regard, I can't get my "stick" in any sense to work on PC anymore, which is the platform I bought this game on.

naib

Oct 25, 2017
ATX
I would, but Windows 10 killed my compatability, so I can no longer use it on PC. Wasn't using the official Hitbox, but a TE stick with a modified board and a Hitbox styled replacement panel on the top. So in that regard, I can't get my "stick" in any sense to work on PC anymore.
if my qanba or my hitbox worked on this it would be insta-buy. I mean my friend's hitbox or qunba.
preferably their hitbox.

I've been interested in this for years but 35-40 is a little rich for me rn. Just stick support would push me over though. 🕹
unless there's just good reason a pad is preferred? I do have some. I just like my buttons.

edit: the art and animation looks fantastic. game looks fun.
stick support would just sweeten the deal.

Last edited:

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Frame pacing is fucked up on the Linux version. The Windows version through Proton runs way better, but cut scenes don't play. Bummer.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
if my qanba or my hitbox worked on this it would be insta-buy. I mean my friend's hitbox or qunba.
preferably their hitbox.

I've been interested in this for years but 35-40 is a little rich for me rn. Just stick support would push me over though. 🕹
unless there's just good reason a pad is preferred? I do have some. I just like my buttons.

edit: the art and animation looks fantastic. game looks fun.
stick support would just sweeten the deal.

I am just using a DS4 and it's perfectly fine. The inputs aren't complicated, and so far it's all just straight up or down or neutral with a button, so the D-pad is doing its job easily. An Xbone controller would also likely do the job. It would feel nicer to play though with some nice stick buttons.
What platform are you on anyway? If it's on whatever system you know the stick/hitbox works on with fighting games, I don't know why it wouldn't.

naib

Oct 25, 2017
ATX
I am just using a DS4 and it's perfectly fine. The inputs aren't complicated, and so far it's all just straight up or down or neutral with a button, so the D-pad is doing its job easily. An Xbone controller would also likely do the job. It would feel nicer to play though with some nice stick buttons.
What platform are you on anyway? If it's on whatever system you know the stick/hitbox works on with fighting games, I don't know why it wouldn't.
It would be on PC. There's platformers I'd expect stick to work on that don't.
hnnggg. Have 'till nov 1st for promo price at least. Watching some streams and it looks super fun.
the combos feel as fun as SG's? that's kinda rhetorical. I'm assuming they do

Manatron

Feb 6, 2018
My man Tungar isn't in any cutscenes and doesn't really have any dialogue 😭. It's really weird to see since literally every other character so far is in almost every scene and voiced.

Other than that I think this game is great. I have been excited since I backed it and it has at delivered on the combat. The story seems a little one note so far, but the characters unique personalities are holding that aspect up for me at this point.

Frimaire

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
So do any backers know what the deal is with the physical Switch version yet?
Like, do the physical rewards just get shipped out with it when it's ready or are they shipped separately?
Also, how do the preorder colours/Roti work with the physical edition?
I have access to those and my steam digital version, I just wanna know if it's safe to like give them to a friend..

Chainshada

Oct 25, 2017
I gotta say, sorry to doubt you guys. 2 days after release and my physical copy just arrived, steelbook looks gorgeous.

Oct 27, 2017
Murfreesboro, TN
I'm a little disappointed about the game as of right now. I was hoping for strong RPG mechanics mixed with elaborate Metroidvania-esque exploration, but after nearly eight hours any RPG mechanic is tossed straight out of the window and overly simplified (down to no true stats and leveling up feeling like it does nothing) and the exploration is pretty moot. I was sold on this game early once I heard it was inspired by Valkyrie Profile and, while the demo released four years ago was pretty barebones, it doesn't feel like they pushed farther than what they showed there. Just doesn't scratch that itch for me.

The implementation of optional characters is really lackluster. Tungar and others are given zero dialogue or story driven lines; it's like they just decided to create all these characters and not put in any effort to incorporate them in the narrative, which is a damn shame. Every time there is a scene with the party, they are noticeably absent. Your telling me that they just stay inside of Anja's head with nothing interesting to say or add? Maybe it's something that can be implemented with a future patch, as well as giving us a normal character stat screen and move-set list for Anja.

That said, it's a beautiful game and I'm enjoying my time with what it turned out to be. Just sort of let down from lofty expectations.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Pheobe kind of fucks me up as someone who played too many fighting games growing up. I expect it to be D+Attack for the launcher but its U+ Attack and D+Attack is the air grab. I keep wasting actions with her because I haven't adjusted to this yet.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
With three actions available? It does nothing but the axe launcher if you only have a single action available at any given moment. Say you use "X" to attack with her, you need to have "X X X" on her action bar". You can just hold up and mash X at that point and the bow will shoot twice after the launcher.

edit: You don't even need more than two actually. Just think of it as a move you do after the launcher for a juggle combo. She can shoot the bow directly after the launcher, and you don't actually need more than two Xs. You just need to first initiate the launch attack, then her follow up attacks can all be the bow if you want. Or she can just shoot the bow as her second attack and then you do something else. That guide seems to just be focusing on full three hit combos instead of just move inputs or prerequisites in general.

Yeah, three full actions, no matter what combination or how I hit it she literally only does axe attacks. I've never even accidentally seen stuff with the bow, or apparently a palm attack.

It's upward axe swing, wide axe swing, and the 2 hit axe swing. That's all I can get her to do, and I've played a lot of fighting games so I can't imagine it's a timing thing I'm missing. I went into the training dojo place and tried outright mashing, hitting it like an MK string, slowing it down, etc. and only have been getting an axe.

This seems...way too specific and weird to be bugged like this, but I don't really know what I could be missing.

I took a video of it but you can't see my inputs or anything. But you can see the upward axe cancelling into itself.

Oct 25, 2017
Lost 1 hours of progresscuz I killed the attacking part of a tank while it was attacking and was stuck in defense forever and you cant run from battles so it's bad

Anyway I've been playing this completely wrong u dont need a healer or to engage with the juggling combat system just pick high dmg people and mash and everything dies

Caim

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, three full actions, no matter what combination or how I hit it she literally only does axe attacks. I've never even accidentally seen stuff with the bow, or apparently a palm attack.

It's upward axe swing, wide axe swing, and the 2 hit axe swing. That's all I can get her to do, and I've played a lot of fighting games so I can't imagine it's a timing thing I'm missing. I went into the training dojo place and tried outright mashing, hitting it like an MK string, slowing it down, etc. and only have been getting an axe.

This seems...way too specific and weird to be bugged like this, but I don't really know what I could be missing.

I took a video of it but you can't see my inputs or anything. But you can see the upward axe cancelling into itself.

Very detailed post explaining Ajna's moveset also as you get her other weapons she'll get other attacks.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Anyway I've been playing this completely wrong u dont need a healer or to engage with the juggling combat system just pick high dmg people and mash and everything dies
Yep. Just pick the fastest people you can that deal the most damage and smash away. And if for some reason you get in trouble, just use Ajna's overpowered AoE heal and keep smashing.

Really, REALLY disappointed in this game. I don't think it's bad, but this is 90% mediocre Metroidvania and 10% shallow VP-like RPG.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017

No idea what is happening, unless maybe you're using a controller with a turbo function on and that's somehow messing with things. It looks like in one of your combos you end up either animation cancelling, or just whiffed an attack into another, and it also looks like your neutral attack is somehow eating up two actions. Mine doesn't. All her attacks just use up one. Also, the way you get the palm attack is just when you strike an enemy who still has their guard up with a neutral attack. It doesn't actually do anything as far as I can tell.

Also, in case you missed my post after that one, you don't even need to do the launcher. You just need to do any attack first with her, then hit (or just hold) up with her attack. The bow shot just can't be the first attack in a combo, but it can be the second or third after any other move.

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
Reading impressions have definitely confirmed some of the fears I had about this game after watching the Giant Bomb Quick Look.

Watching that I was reminded of a game like Resonance of Fate, which had a cool and interesting battle system...but you could basically see all it was capable of from the beginning of the game and so it felt shallow and repetitive with battles devolving into the same tactics and combos

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, these impressions and reviews are quite sobering. Guess I'll wait for a sale at best.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
can't relate to the doom and gloom in here at all. I've been having a blast with the shonen-ass writing and presentation and the combat system so far.

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
Reading impressions have definitely confirmed some of the fears I had about this game after watching the Giant Bomb Quick Look.

Watching that I was reminded of a game like Resonance of Fate, which had a cool and interesting battle system...but you could basically see all it was capable of from the beginning of the game and so it felt shallow and repetitive with battles devolving into the same tactics and combos

I'm a backer so I'm more optimistic than most, but I feel like these impressions aren't especially damning to me. Seems like the difficulty needs a balance pass, but the core mechanics are solid. I'm playing FFX-2 at the moment, and that game can be dull as hell if you want it to be, especially if you rely on the special Dresspheres. If nothing changes after launch and it remains mashy, then that's unfortunate.

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
I'm a backer so I'm more optimistic than most, but I feel like these impressions aren't especially damning to me. Seems like the difficulty needs a balance pass, but the core mechanics are solid. I'm playing FFX-2 at the moment, and that game can be dull as hell if you want it to be, especially if you rely on the special Dresspheres. If nothing changes after launch and it remains mashy, then that's unfortunate.
I mean that's part of the issue is that there's zero progression or growth on characters outside of Ajna. At least FFX-2 had a job grid. In indivisible, what you see is what you get. There's really a lack of depth.

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
I mean that's part of the issue is that there's zero progression or growth on characters outside of Ajna. At least FFX-2 had a job grid. In indivisible, what you see is what you get.

Fair enough. I don't think that'd be practical to implement with the size of the cast but I can see how it'd be lacking in progression.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
No idea what is happening, unless maybe you're using a controller with a turbo function on and that's somehow messing with things. It looks like in one of your combos you end up either animation cancelling, or just whiffed an attack into another, and it also looks like your neutral attack is somehow eating up two actions. Mine doesn't. All her attacks just use up one. Also, the way you get the palm attack is just when you strike an enemy who still has their guard up with a neutral attack. It doesn't actually do anything as far as I can tell.

Also, in case you missed my post after that one, you don't even need to do the launcher. You just need to do any attack first with her, then hit (or just hold) up with her attack. The bow shot just can't be the first attack in a combo, but it can be the second or third after any other move.

When I neutral attack a guarding enemy she does the axe swipe still.

But yeah, I did see that. Doesn't seem like any starter combination I use is getting anything to happen though. Seems like something isn't working for me.

This is...extremely frustrating since Ajna is stuck in the party at all times and I only seem to have an incredibly basic moveset with her.

Last edited:

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, gonna be honest. For as much as I love Valkyrie Profile, the menus and all the extra item garbage are not what make it deep or enjoyable (they made it require a strategy guide, but at the end of the day I don't really care for playing excel spreadsheet the video game). I find stuff like Sphere Grids and the like to mostly be trite garbage that add nothing to the gameplay and only a semblance of depth. If the combat has depth from the beginning, and you can get more out of it by making custom combos, then the gameplay itself is what provides depth, and the enemies in figuring out weaknesses and solutions to whatever scenarios they bring to you. I do agree that revives should probably be replaced with something like party switching, given the large cast of characters, but I think that's probably the only big change I'd make right now. The core gameplay loop is great and the characters are, well, Saturday morning cartoons. If you like that kind of camp, you'll love the characters and the game.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017

You're not using a ds4 are you? What controller are you using? I ask because it looks like you are getting doubled inputs which can sometimes happen with programs like ds4windows or even steams controller config. Have you tried playing with just mouse and keyboard to test if it is your controller?

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, gonna be honest. For as much as I love Valkyrie Profile, the menus and all the extra item garbage are not what make it deep or enjoyable (they made it require a strategy guide, but at the end of the day I don't really care for playing excel spreadsheet the video game). I find stuff like Sphere Grids and the like to mostly be trite garbage that add nothing to the gameplay and only a semblance of depth. If the combat has depth from the beginning, and you can get more out of it by making custom combos, then the gameplay itself is what provides depth, and the enemies in figuring out weaknesses and solutions to whatever scenarios they bring to you. I do agree that revives should probably be replaced with something like party switching, given the large cast of characters, but I think that's probably the only big change I'd make right now. The core gameplay loop is great and the characters are, well, Saturday morning cartoons. If you like that kind of camp, you'll love the characters and the game.
Problem is the game doesn't require any kind of deep understanding of the combat. You can literally mash your way through and only kinda defend and you'll be just fine. Oh this enemy needs to be airborne? Down+X and then just mash mash mash. Oh this enemy has a shield? Up+Triangle and Down+X and mash. Whoops I'm low from not defending. OP Anja heal to the rescue.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
You're not using a ds4 are you? What controller are you using? I ask because it looks like you are getting doubled inputs which can sometimes happen with programs like ds4windows or even steams controller config. Have you tried playing with just mouse and keyboard to test if it is your controller?

I'm on the XB1 using the normal controller. I was just mashing the button in the video to show that I'm not getting any new followup combos.

I tried another controller and it's still happening. Other characters like Qadira that have followup attacks have been working fine, I have no idea what the issue is.

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
Depth means nothing when even you're doing optimal combos and that's just 10 percent health removed. It's bloody tedious.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
I was worried about the writing with the last backer demo and not much has changed with the full release. Just not a fan of the cartoony tone and the campy dialogue at ALL. Like others, I'm also finding the shallow gameplay not very riveting. This is definitely a disappointment as it stands now. Some of it they can patch and hopefully they do.

Hu3

Oct 25, 2017

Mmmm yeah no.. backed the game been playing for days now but this doesn't even have a smidge on Valkyrie profile. Even for inspiration this is lacking a lot. This game doesn't hold a candle to Valkyrie profile and the guide thing is bull you can beat the game perfectly without a guide.

had my concerns at first but now they are cemented, the game lacks a lot of mechanics.

ggdeku

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't really have any expectations going into this but I've enjoyed the first two hours. The impressions in this thread make me want to check out Valkyrie Profile though. Is VP heavier on the RPG elements?

I'm using a hitbox on PC and it's great.

selo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just FYI I played 7 hours today and the story is basically crazy nonsense lol. There is a litttttle intrigue going on but the writing is really uneven overall. Exploration has not gotten any better from the beginning. There is very little exploring to do as most areas are fairly linear. No puzzles either just pretty graphics and great combat. I'd say if the combat is good enough to carry the game for you then keep it but if you are expecting other aspects to improve, I haven't seen that happen at least in the 7 hours I've played.
I'd give the game a 7...ish score right now. I will keep playing though and beat it for sure.

Yeah, played a bit more and it didn't convince, although I liked the combat, it wasn't enough to keep me glued. I don't have that much free time to spend on something I didn't really enjoy. Even if the combat was interesting, the rest of the game didnt help. The conversations were kind of grating that I just started skipping it all, not that I'd miss any of the uninteresting story. Sad to say I had to refund it, I was really looking forward to this one. I'll certainly check Lab Zero's next game if they learn from this one.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
I didn't really have any expectations going into this but I've enjoyed the first two hours. The impressions in this thread make me want to check out Valkyrie Profile though. Is VP heavier on the RPG elements?

I'm using a hitbox on PC and it's great.

I've only played VP2 myself and I can tell you its WAY heavier. So far its just go through the story and find characters and ringsels, and thats pretty much the entirety of progression that ive experienced. I'll be honest, I'm enjoying myself right now, but I don't know if I'll come back after I finish the game for reasons other than to mess with other characters for a second or two. The game's not really opening up in terms of combat mechanics, only in terms of exploration. And if its that one-sided in favor of exploration, then the fights themselves are just going to become more and more tedious because they're taking you away from what is clearly the meat of the game.

GarudaSmiles

Dec 14, 2018
Yeah VP is very much a full blown rpg. Also I have to agree with the sentiment by some here that it's a much better game.

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
As stories go I think Valkyrie Profile definitely gives individual characters a lot more depth and an arc, but as combat goes Valkyrie Profile is far simpler. You have a lot more options due to weapons and armor, but the options themselves aren't terribly meaningful aside from an attack or defense number marginally increasing (and enabling Purify Weird Soul, depending). If people are referring to options as mechanics (weapons, armor, etc.), I would say Valkyrie Profile has more, but there aren't many meaningful differences between most of the items in the game (aside from the best items in VP, which are so far and above all other items that they're absurdly broken and make combat a "Press X to win" situation).

It sounds like what people wanted was a treasure system with lots of items, but I honestly have never enjoyed min-maxing and that's really all you can typically do with those sorts of systems. Though it seems like most are equating that as a fundamental piece of RPGs (and hey, I wouldn't doubt it, but that's not really what defines RPGs for me).

And I pretty much don't believe that anyone found the good ending in Valkyrie Profile without a guide (at least on their first run through). It's extremely obtuse to get to it.

I think if people want this to just be Valkyrie Profile, they're going to be disappointed, but I also don't think that's a terribly reasonable metric to judge a game against.

I still haven't had a chance to get to the point where enemies become damage sponges (according to posters here), so I'll probably say something about that later if it becomes a big issue.

Valkyrie Profile is a very different game in most ways aside from the combat when compared to Indivisible (and even there the loop is far more focused on Purify Weird Soul - the combo finisher - than it is on characters). It's got a lot more loot and stats to mess with (a big part of the game is about special items and whether or not to send them to Valhalla - a guide makes choosing much more straightforward, which I recommend if you're only planning on playing VP once).

Last edited:

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
As stories go I think Valkyrie Profile definitely gives individual characters a lot more depth and an arc, but as combat goes Valkyrie Profile is far simpler. You have a lot more options due to weapons and armor, but the options themselves aren't terribly meaningful aside from an attack or defense number marginally increasing (and enabling Purify Weird Soul, depending). If people are referring to options as mechanics (weapons, armor, etc.), I would say Valkyrie Profile has more, but there aren't many meaningful differences between most of the items in the game (aside from the best items in VP, which are so far and above all other items that they're absurdly broken and make combat a "Press X to win" situation).

It sounds like what people wanted was a treasure system with lots of items, but I honestly have never enjoyed min-maxing and that's really all you can typically do with those sorts of systems. Though it seems like most are equating that as a fundamental piece of RPGs (and hey, I wouldn't doubt it, but that's not really what defines RPGs for me).

And I pretty much don't believe that anyone found the good ending in Valkyrie Profile without a guide (at least on their first run through). It's extremely obtuse to get to it.

I think if people want this to just be Valkyrie Profile, they're going to be disappointed, but I also don't think that's a terribly reasonable metric to judge a game against.

I still haven't had a chance to get to the point where enemies become damage sponges (according to posters here), so I'll probably say something about that later if it becomes a big issue.

Valkyrie Profile is a very different game in most ways aside from the combat when compared to Indivisible (and even there the loop is far more focused on Purify Weird Soul - the combo finisher - than it is on characters). It's got a lot more loot and stats to mess with (a big part of the game is about special items and whether or not to send them to Valhalla - a guide makes choosing much more straightforward, which I recommend if you're only planning on playing VP once).
Not unfair at all. Even the OT plays on a VPism. "it shall be engraved"....And the indiegogo said word for word in its campaign "Indivisible is inspired by classics like Valkyrie Profile"

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I looked around and found posts on reddit and see other people having the same axe issue I do.

...it sounds like it's a specific Xbox version thing. Ajna literally has three attacks for us.

what

the

hell

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
i read OT title and immediatly i have Valkyrie Profile's battle theme on my head......... thanks

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
Only played 2 hours yesterday, but I enjoy the crazy story so far. The combat system is still a little unintuitive to me like it was in the beta... But I'm growing used to it. I just feel like I have too many things to keep a watch on - when character can attack, who the enemies are attacking, the iddhi bar etc. As you have more characters with more unique abilities, the number of things you have to focus on grows and I never feel quite comfortable in combat yet.

I never played VP, so I have no idea how the games compare.

htp314

Oct 31, 2017
I've played the game for a couple of hours now, it's a bit on the easy side, but I like it.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
I'm enjoying my time with the game, the story seems to hit like the cartoon feel they're going for with it. Razmi is funny too, reminds me of Sucy from little witch academia. Combat is a bit on the easy side but fights don't last too long.

Never played valkyrie profile though so I didn't have any kind of expectation from that going in.