• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Puddington

Nov 2, 2017
I recently got an xbox one and immediately signed up for game pass and downloaded Doom (2016) to compare to my Switch version. And, while it's prettier on Xbone, I couldn't commit to playing it on there because I've become accustomed to using motion aiming in the Switch version.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Even though the 32x version is generally considered the "best" port before the Switch arcade conversion, I still prefer the original Genesis port of Virtua Racing.

I'll give the Genesis port this: the 32X port is significantly more difficult.

Meanwhile I think I still slightly prefer the 32X port to the Switch port because of the extra cars and tracks available. Also think the 32X port of Virtua Fighter might be better than the Saturn one.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Splinter Cell Doubt Agent
The PS2/Xbox version didn't have the new mechanics or day time levels, but they had all the mechanics of Chaos Theory which the PS360/PC ver didn't.

Dec 25, 2018
KH3D on PS4 was a good port for what it did, but I still liked the 3DS version better. Both versions have their pros and cons, but the touch screen really made it much better. I had the circle pad pro for KH3D and it fixed the camera issue for me and was fun as hell. I know the drop time thing was shorter on 3DS, but like all you had to buy is drop me nots or drop me never to fix that issue.

At the time, KH had never played at 60FPS on console so the fluidity on PS4 was nice, but the compromise for the touch screen wasn't that great. Especially how water barrel had to be redone, I used to get 600+ link points using it on 3DS and went to getting like 150 on PS4.

Gutsfree

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jun 1, 2018
I played the 3DS version of Xenoblade Chronicles. God was that game hideous but getting to play from the couch or on trips is probably the only reason that I finished the game.

Dec 25, 2018
If you mean by technologically inferior by system hardware, the port/remaster of Jak and Daxter collection on PS3 is superior to the PS4. The PS4 is an emulation, and it looks inferior in terms of texture and the framerate is all over the place for some of the games. Although PS3 had punch glitch and no Jak X, the games still ran extremely well and practically were a solid 60FPS experience at 720p.

Tali'Zorah

Oct 27, 2017
Norfolk, UK
The best version of Star Wars: The Force Unleashed I played is the PS2 version. It has a bunch of different levels to PS3/360 and the levels themselves are slightly smaller and more focused. All around I just had a better time with the PS2 version, even if it was the "inferior" product

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
I love Resident Evil Remake and 4 on the gamecube. They don't have graphics as good as the remastered versions but I just love playing them with the gamecube controller. Especially 4

rdaneel72

Oct 27, 2017
The Ghostbusters game from 2009 was much better on the Wii than the PS360 versions.

Using the Wiimote as the wand for the proton pack was genius. Best aiming controls, then physically swinging the Wiimote to smash the captured ghost into walls and furniture just felt awesome. Tossing a ghost trap with a flick of the nunchuck was also cool.

Cartoony graphics were also very nice.

A upscaled version of this game was recently released on current gen consoles (even Switch), but it is based on PS360 version. Just doesn't feel as good. Without motion controls, the game is revealed to be mediocre. But the Wii version is a blast!

TrashHeap64

Dec 7, 2017
Austin, TX
Duke Nukem 64 for me. Not sure why but I prefer it to Duke 3d.
It has less swearing and adult material (and less maps), but it is also true 3d (able to look up and down). My brother and I would play split screen co-op or vs DukeBots non stop.

Deleted member 12129

Oct 27, 2017
I prefered the PS1 version of DOOM over the other versions at the time. PS1 version had that amazing soundtrack which was and still is better than the MIDI music from the other versions. I preferred playing with a controller too.

Nowadays I use a WAD file that inserts the PS1 soundtrack when playing ZDOOM or other source ports.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Right now I'm listening to the DKC3 GBA soundtrack and that's another one that suffers some of the limitations of the GBA downscaling but is overall I think a superior product. I feel similarly about the GBA port of Yoshi's Island -- before the release of the SNES collection via Switch Online, the portability and extra levels made up for most of the other limitations of the port, and there are color correction hacks for it that improve that limitation to the point it's not immediately distinguishable from the SNES version from appearance.

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if this counts, but RE4 on Wii is the definitive version as far as I am concerned.
I agree with this so much it hurts. I was hoping and praying that RE4 on Switch would maintain all the Gamecube exclusive visual effects like the Wii version did while also running at a perfect 1080 60 and utilizing great pointer controls like the Wii version, but alas, the port was a disappointment to me in that it was simply a worse version of the PS4 and X1 ports, which are in turn just worse versions of the latest RE4 port. Don't get me wrong, the version of RE4 that is available on current consoles and PC is a wonderful version of RE4, but I feel genuinely bad for everyone who didn't get to play the absolute pinnacle of the many RE4 ports that is the Wii version. I'm hoping that when the RE4 HD Project is finished, (that highly publicized and extremely high quality fan mod for RE4 on PC), that it manages to overtake the Wii version in terms of finally being the definitive version, but that remains to be seen.

dipship31

Oct 26, 2017
TMNT_2_Coverart-2.jpg

Someone mentioned it earlier in the thread and I completely agree. Yeah it didn't look nearly as good as the arcade version, but something about this version always just clicked more with me and you get the bonus stages

Feb 10, 2018
the aliasing on the PS2 one made it look worse. the PS2 game just had more content.

Yeah I just watched a comparison, and the dc version looks way better then the PS2 version, may need to edit my post to say I prefer the dc version compared to the xbox version, but doa2 ultimate may count has like a remake of doa2?

Oct 25, 2017
Questionable. It has all the gamecube stuff + wii aiming (which is excellent) + the extra content from the PS2 version. I too consider it the definitive edition, but I see some people out there prefer the controls from the GC version.
You can use a GameCube controller on the Wii Version.
Given the controls on every single other version are fucking terrible, this isn't debatable. The GCN and Wii versions of the game are the only ones that are good.

Oct 28, 2019
The Witcher 3 on the Switch is a masterpiece and handheld mode and the instant resume function make it the definitive experience. Never made it further than the gates of Novigrad on the PS4, but aforementioned aspects of the Switch have allowed me to finally experience one of the games of the generation fully.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I go back and forth on this but original Tales of Vesperia might be better than Vesperia DE. Because pandering lolis aren't cool and Flynn being in the party detracts from the themes of the story.

Although Vesperia DE looks better and has some important QOL improvements like cutscene skip... So it's a bit hard to say which one is better overall.

Dache

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Mega Drive SF2 over SNES SF2, for me. The pad was mostly why at the time, and although I knew the SNES version looked and sounded better - I had access to it through friends/family - I didn't care.

I'd also take the Saturn version of Dead or Alive over the one the PS1 got even though it had an extra character or two and better graphics. I preferred the Model 2-style visuals, the pad, and the Sega-ish UI, and the way the Danger Zones looked/felt.

I think the original Saturn port of Daytona USA is better than every other port up until the arcade perfect one we received on PS3 and 360.

Aw yee, my man. I hated CCE with a passion when I played the demo. It just felt OFF.

Oct 27, 2017
I'll also throw in that I like the original Persona 4 a bit better than Golden. Winter Inaba is great and all, but most of the added story content is terrible and I started to find the Investigation Team a bit grating towards the end, something that never happened with the original. Also the original's somewhat grungier look goes a lot better with the story.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Splinter_Cell_Double_Agent-DVD-Xbox.jpg

EDIT: to explain a little bit better to those who don't know it, this version of the game was made by the same developers of chaos theory, while the xbox 360 was made by another team. I consider this version the better game, doesn't help that I played the next gen version on PC, which was a pretty bad port.
This really was the definitive version.

OP
OP
kubev

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Splinter_Cell_Double_Agent-DVD-Xbox.jpg

EDIT: to explain a little bit better to those who don't know it, this version of the game was made by the same developers of chaos theory, while the xbox 360 was made by another team. I consider this version the better game, doesn't help that I played the next gen version on PC, which was a pretty bad port.
Speaking of Splinter Cell, remember when the original was released on PlayStation 2 a while after it was released on Xbox? That was really weird, as I recall the lighting being seriously scaled back in that version.

Pipyakas

Jul 20, 2018
Ys Oath in Felghana for the PSP, because it has voice acting and a little bit better hud, even though the game's an action rpg running at 30fps

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
The Force Unleashed on the Wii had local multiplayer which I believe the other versions didn't.

The PSP version did as well, though it obviously required multiple systems and copies of the game.

Force Unleashed is weird because yes, the PC/360/PS3 versions are the ones with the physics and got the DLC, but the base package of the Wii, PSP and I believe PS2 versions is definitely better. Force Unleashed PSP is a fun little game.

Oct 27, 2017
The Master System version of Mickey Mouse in Castle of Illusion is superior to the Mega Drive version. Sure, it doesn't have as good music or graphics, but gameplay and level design is vastly much better than the MD version.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I prefer the original version of Virtua Fighter on the Saturn compared to Remix. I will take those blocky 3d characters any day.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Mario 64 DS is one I like a lot, but has pros and cons compared to the original.

The added Mini-levels aren't the best (I'd have killed for 1 or 2 new FULL stages), but they are neat for what they are and they have decent boss fights. There are also several added stars throughout the caste that I think are pretty great (the one in the mirror room is really clever).

The graphics aren't always the best, textures especially are really blocky, but the character models in the game are definitely improved.

When I was a kid I always wanted to ride or play as Yoshi, so it was great getting to experience that in Mario 64 DS, but the added characters don't really add that much and do make the game a little worse by making some of the hat powers exclusive to them rather than Mario having them all.
I woudnt have minded so much if all the characters were as fast as Mario, but Mario was the fastest character, so playing as everyone else (especially Wario) felt like playing the game in slow motion, and Mario 64 for me is all about running at full speed as often as possible.

I totally don't mind the lack of an analog stick, the addition of the run button makes up for the lack of analog control IMO. I could easily run circles around the eyeball and snowman enemies once you get used to it.

The mini games they added seperate from the game were amazing too. Great little demos of what the DS was capable of. I played a ton of that Luigi Poker game and the bomb sorting game was a ton of fun.
It was annoying they added the exact same mini-games to NSMB, they should have designed new ones.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
The Ghostbusters game from 2009 was much better on the Wii than the PS360 versions.

Using the Wiimote as the wand for the proton pack was genius. Best aiming controls, then physically swinging the Wiimote to smash the captured ghost into walls and furniture just felt awesome. Tossing a ghost trap with a flick of the nunchuck was also cool.

Cartoony graphics were also very nice.

A upscaled version of this game was recently released on current gen consoles (even Switch), but it is based on PS360 version. Just doesn't feel as good. Without motion controls, the game is revealed to be mediocre. But the Wii version is a blast!
Speaking of Wii ports, I really enjoyed the Wii version of The Godfather.

The game came out pretty early in the Wii's life, so motion controls still felt fun to me. Grabbing people and throwing them into furniture or off buildings by swinging the Wii remote+nunchuck was so much fun.

sox

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoy the n64 port of Duke Nukem 64. Has Some differences in weapons and locations that makes it worth a look if you love the original.

babyzelda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Mario 64 DS is one I like a lot, but has pros and cons compared to the original.

The added Mini-levels aren't the best (I'd have killed for 1 or 2 new FULL stages), but they are neat for what they are and they have decent boss fights. There are also several added stars throughout the caste that I think are pretty great (the one in the mirror room is really clever).

The graphics aren't always the best, textures especially are really blocky, but the character models in the game are definitely improved.

When I was a kid I always wanted to ride or play as Yoshi, so it was great getting to experience that in Mario 64 DS, but the added characters don't really add that much and do make the game a little worse by making some of the hat powers exclusive to them rather than Mario having them all.
I woudnt have minded so much if all the characters were as fast as Mario, but Mario was the fastest character, so playing as everyone else (especially Wario) felt like playing the game in slow motion, and Mario 64 for me is all about running at full speed as often as possible.

I totally don't mind the lack of an analog stick, the addition of the run button makes up for the lack of analog control IMO. I could easily run circles around the eyeball and snowman enemies once you get used to it.

The mini games they added seperate from the game were amazing too. Great little demos of what the DS was capable of. I played a ton of that Luigi Poker game and the bomb sorting game was a ton of fun.
It was annoying they added the exact same mini-games to NSMB, they should have designed new ones.
I have never been able to grasp the controls in Mario 64, but the DS version was fine for me. I think my 2D brain needs a run button.

There was an Art of Fighting 2 port for Super Famicom, I think, and though I never played it, I really liked the soundtrack. It's probably worse in all other aspects, but I don't know, I prefer the SNES's soundfonts a lot. Your milage may vary.

SNES:

NeoGeo:

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone's always touting the Sega CD port of Final Fight as the best, but the GBA port will always be my favorite with all the bonus content they stuffed into it.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
CV: Rondo of Blood when compared to the Dracula X Chronicles version. While I actually liked a lot of the inclusions to the game, I still prefer the original game over its remake.
Rondo of Blood is for sure better than Dracula X. I would even say DX is quite inferior besides visuals.