• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which did you like more?

• Harry Potter Saga

Votes: 141 20.4%
  • Infinity Saga

Votes: 506 73.2%
  • Both

Votes: 63 9.1%

• Total voters
Oct 27, 2017
Been thinking a lot about this recently, the movies from Harry Potter for me will always be a part of my childhood, I did not read the books. They were always visually pleasing and I can remember just looking forward to a new movie every year.

The only films I didn't enjoy in the HP saga was Half Blood Prince, and Deathly Hallows part 1. Part 1 did include some of my favourite chase scenes like when they escape from the Ministry and in the woods, but it was pretty boring overall.

As for Marvel, the films I didn't like were Iron Man 3 (don't even get me started on the dumb plot twist) and Thor 2.

I enjoyed Endgame overall but it did startoff slow, but the whole battle sequence at the end was worth the wait.

Would love to know ERA's opinion.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I'm pretty sure the Harry Potter community pokes fun at how dumb the epilogue is nowadays. The leadup to the final battle, I think, was a little more engaging since there were a looot more personal stakes, but I remember being fairly lukewarm on the actual duel itself.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Harry Potter's ending was terrible. I do not get how the franchise lost its way so badly. So I'm voting for Infinity War / Endgame.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When people say things to the effect of "i thought all the quiet moments of character development establishing the emotional stakes were boring but when the CGi punch-boom battles started it got good" i lose my mind

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
Harry Potter by a lot (But I read Harry potter books, while I only watched the marvel movies).

IT doesnt help that the arvel saga had a lot of shitty films on it that played important roles on the ending and I didnt watch all of those.

When people say things like "i thought all the quiet moments of character development were boring but when the CGi battles started it got good" i lose my mind
That's what happen when the character development scenes are bad, there's a reasong most people dont complain about the slow parts of breaking bad.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Difficult to compare the two since I grew up reading the books and the movies always fell short in comparison. Recently rewatched Order of Phoenix and it just loses so much from the book, it's almost like an entirely different story and with none of the emotional impact.

The Infinity Saga has a lot of things working in its favour, one of them being that it's not a 1:1 adaptation so it doesn't have to adhere as closely to the source material. Endgame, as the culmination of all those stories, works infinitely (heh) better in turn.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It was one episode, and it was a bottle episode. People dont complain about it because it slow, but because the premise of the episode is dumb (even if the episode is indeed good).
If you say so.

IMO, the action is why so many people say they liked Breaking Bad and found Mad Men boring even though Mad Men has a much richer cast of characters and better writing.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Harry Potter sucked because Ron Weasley is an annoying little shit who never stops being an annoying little shit.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Harry Potter only really got by on the fact that there was an emotional investment in seeing this hitherto unheard of thing of maintaining a cast for a decade across eight movies reach a conclusion, because as movies the David Yates stretch of the films were extremely messy. Having rewatched the films recently I don't really think Deathly Hallows actually holds up all that well compared to a few other films but there are a few cathartic moments in Part 2. Then there's also the matter of these films being adaptations of novels, and while I have no experience with the books passed the third one I'm sure actual fans of the books have a whole host of things to say about how they ended up adapting the latter half.

The MCU definitely felt like it overall had the better constructed movies and the final two Avengers entries are emblematic of the fact. Infinity War is still considered by many to be the best Avengers movie of the lot despite the fact that it's a "part 1". That's not something I see anyone saying about Deathly Hallows, the first part of which felt more like a skippable preamble that was trying to tie up its loose ends before the actual finale.

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Have never seen a Marvel film beyond Iron Man and I don't consider myself an HP fan, but I loves Potter's ending.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
I still think the "Infinity Saga" is a bit of a misnomer. It's mostly a marketing term, as a lot of the movies had absolutely nothing to do with the way it ended.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Infinity. Very satisfying and immense as far as a project of this scope goes. It could also benefit from a level of detachment. I read the HP books and the movies started to lose me around number 5. Though the books were somewhat the same, if I recall. Still, I remember 5 really disappointing me with its cuts.

I feel kind of isolated in preferring Deathly Hallows Pt 1 to 2. I don't remember much of the second one aside from a pretty humdrum final duel against Voldemort and that woeful epilogue. The first part felt more propulsive and interesting in how much time it spent outside of the usual locales. Haven't seen either since theaters though, so maybe my perspective would shift a bit upon rewatches. Usually I and a friend try to go through the whole bunch and get sidetracked partway through, further ingraining the first few films and doing nothing for the later set.

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You are seriously comparing infinity Saga with Harry Potter... wow.

Ok... Harry Potter Saga>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> MCU Saga.. anything MCU has done really.

Last edited:

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I was ever emotionally invested in any of the MCU characters.

I quite enjoyed the Harry Potter (book) ending and actually cared about those characters fates. Though the epilogue was a bit uneccessary.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Harry Potter book ending. The movie ending was so dumb. Harry was never meant to fight Voldemort in a duel.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That Harry vs Voldemort final battle in the book was so epic and their attempt to prolong it in the movie really detracted from it.

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Both end with the main antagonist getting dusted.
Infinity Saga >

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
I felt mostly bored by Endgame while I cried and felt incredibly emotionally wasted by Deathly Hallows (first the book, then the movies).

MCU was never anything but mindless fun for me while I was genuinely emotionally invested in the characters in Harry Potter.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't even remember the book ending. Do they just not fight and he dies with the last horcrux being destroyed? Or does the wand turn against him?
The Elder Wand's loyalty lay with Harry at that point, that's why Voldemort's killing curse backfired and Harry was able to disarm him at the same time.

Bjomesphat

Nov 5, 2017
I never really felt like the Marvel movies were really building up to anything. At least in the same sense as Harry Potter. Like obviously they had a pretty clear plan after the first Avengers movie, but the only build up to Infinity War amounted to a few hints and easter eggs over the previous 10 years of films. The thing Marvel movies had going for them is the character growth and crossover interactions from movie to movie.

In terms of a satisfying conclusion though? I think seeing a continuing story over 8 movies with the same protagonists and antagonists is more satisfying than the Marvel approach, and I think Harry Potter did it pretty well. Though I do prefer the first 4 Harry Potter movies to the last 4, and for Marvel, I don't care for either of the first two Avengers movies, and Civil War, but I really enjoyed Infinity War, but found Endgame to be a real dud. Endgame was just boring with a non-sensical and contrived plot that ended on a retread of the battle in Infinity War, except with more in your face fan service and callbacks.

Ultra

Oct 30, 2017
I'm a Brit, you can imagine how big HP was and still is here espicially, so I'm fairly biased. The release of the books and movies was basically my childhood.

...so it's gonna be HP. Just connected more with me, although the books did the final confrontation a lot better!

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Half-Blood Prince was arguable my favorite book of the 7 so reading that you just watched the movies kinda stinks lol.

Personally it's gotta be Harry Potter even if Deathly Hallows does a lot of "introduce things crucial to the overall plot in the last entry of the series" which I know a lot of people had issues with. HP was over a longer period of time, it was a new IP, there were more people around me obsessed with it, I grew up with it and I genuinely didn't know what to expect (partially bc new IP, partially because there weren't set photos or anything like that lol)

In comparison Infinity War and Endgame are based off of things that have existed for quite a while now and even if they take some artistic liberties I figured the snap was gonna happen, that Captain America would wield Thor's hammer etc. The movies were still well executed but yeah there's no real comparison here.

Lebron

Oct 30, 2017
Infinity Saga.

The Trash that is Yates butchered the ending so bad. I can't even stand to watch the last three movies knowing how bad they missed the landing.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Oh but yeah the HP epilogue is hilarious

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Infinity Saga.

The Trash that is Yates butchered the ending so bad. I can't even stand to watch the last three movies knowing how bad they missed the landing.
I'm not a gigantic fan of Yates but I don't remember him fucking up Deathly Hallows that much. What did they change?

Only HP movies I don't really like at all are Order of the Phoenix (omitted wayyyyy too much good stuff from the books and the stuff it added wasn't good) and Fantastic Beasts 2.

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Honestly I like both! I like Endgame a lot and HP7.1/7.2 were good, epilogue included.

That being said, I don't like HP4 (movie) and a few of the MCU films (IM3, GOTG2, Thor 2, etc) but I enjoyed the conclusions of both series.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
Harry Potter for me. The characters matter more, and the big battle at the end of book seven is hype as hell. Fairly scary too once you realize characters you like can actually die.

Marvel stuff is fun, but there's no real emotional resonance for me. I knew going in which characters would be leaving in some capacity because actor contract info gets posted everywhere. And while there's some character building, it's usually done in baby steps between explosions and quips.

The Harry Potter epilogue is bad though and I skip it when I reread the books.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Infinity. Very satisfying and immense as far as a project of this scope goes. It could also benefit from a level of detachment. I read the HP books and the movies started to lose me around number 5. Though the books were somewhat the same, if I recall. Still, I remember 5 really disappointing me with its cuts.

I feel kind of isolated in preferring Deathly Hallows Pt 1 to 2. I don't remember much of the second one aside from a pretty humdrum final duel against Voldemort and that woeful epilogue. The first part felt more propulsive and interesting in how much time it spent outside of the usual locales. Haven't seen either since theaters though, so maybe my perspective would shift a bit upon rewatches. Usually I and a friend try to go through the whole bunch and get sidetracked partway through, further ingraining the first few films and doing nothing for the later set.
There are dozens of us. DOZENS!

Deathly Hallows Part 1 is one of my favorites of the series while Part 2 is one of my least. Voldemort dying like a Final Fantasy villain and crumbling to nothingness was, in my opinion, a complete misadaptation of the ending, where him just starkly dying like everyone else was kind of the point, because it's exactly what he wanted to be above.

I understand the need to give a flashy drawn out Voldy duel because big blockbuster movie, but I can't get past that death.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Honestly I like both! I like Endgame a lot and HP7.1/7.2 were good, epilogue included.

That being said, I don't like HP4 (movie) and a few of the MCU films (IM3, GOTG2, Thor 2, etc) but I enjoyed the conclusions of both series.
Idk why everyone hates the 4th Harry Potter movie. I definitely think it's one of the better ones. The tournament style lends itself well to a movie as there's a lot of neat set pieces (hell theres even one before you get to Hogwarts with the Quidditch world cup aftermath) and the ending with Pattinson and Voldemort is just fantastic.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
There are dozens of us. DOZENS!

Deathly Hallows Part 1 is one of my favorites of the series while Part 2 is one of my least. Voldemort dying like a Final Fantasy villain and crumbling to nothingness was, in my opinion, a complete misadaptation of the ending, where him just starkly dying like everyone else was kind of the point, because it's exactly what he wanted to be above.

I understand the need to give a flashy drawn out Voldy duel because big blockbuster movie, but I can't get past that death.
Huh it's been a while since I've seen DH pt. 2 but that would annoy me lol, Rowling even highlighted how he just kinda limped to the ground with a thud. Him disappearing makes it harder to bring closure if anything. Why would he evaporate? All of his tricks are gone

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
tony thanos rodgers

one of them was a genocidal maniac and he was the bravest person I've ever known

Jafku1

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I grew up with the HP books and remembering that the movies didn't quite live up to what I read and imagined. MCU was hype

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Huh it's been a while since I've seen DH pt. 2 but that would annoy me lol, Rowling even highlighted how he just kinda limped to the ground with a thud. Him disappearing makes it harder to bring closure if anything. Why would he evaporate? All of his tricks are gone
I don't know why it pisses me off so much because I'm not really the biggest Harry Potter fan in general, but it still just bugs the hell out of me.

Lupercal

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Harry Potter saga is better overall even though the ending lacks a bit.

But Infinity War / Endgame needed 20+ movies to make us care and Harry Potter did it in one.

Yourfawthaaa

Nov 2, 2017
Bronx, NY
Infinity Saga for me. I grew up reading the comics and seeing it come to the big screen starting with IM1 was a dream come true.

i never read the harry potter books but i did watch all the movies. i should read the books, Shouldnt i?